PDA

View Full Version : Headaches from wearing hair up

queenofheartz44
December 13th, 2017, 10:24 AM
How long does it take for the headaches to go away from wearing my hair up? I don't have it up tightly but within an hour or two my scalp hurts and then I start getting a headache as I rarely wear my hair up in a bun. I'd like to do more protective styles to maximize my growth but I'm a wuss when it comes to headaches and I usually just end up taking it back down. Of course once I do, the headache is gone within 20 minutes or so. :rolleyes:

Chromis
December 13th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Have you try doing different style or different spots on your scalp? I can't wear a high bun comfortably for example, but a bun done at the nape is ultra comfortable.

Nique1202
December 13th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Sometimes it's the position, sometimes it's because you're doing a style too tightly (often the case for iii hair, which doesn't like to be bunned until it's quite long, and getting a bun to hold means putting a lot of extra tension on the scalp), and sometimes you just have to do the style for a little bit longer every day until your follicles are trained to calm down.

Groovy Granny
December 13th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Have you try doing different style or different spots on your scalp? I can't wear a high bun comfortably for example, but a bun done at the nape is ultra comfortable.

Exactly :thumbsup:

Sometimes it is the heaviness of hair toy also, so that even a switch to spin pins stops the discomfort....or some other style bun/hair toy.

queenofheartz44
December 13th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Sometimes it's the position, sometimes it's because you're doing a style too tightly (often the case for iii hair, which doesn't like to be bunned until it's quite long, and getting a bun to hold means putting a lot of extra tension on the scalp), and sometimes you just have to do the style for a little bit longer every day until your follicles are trained to calm down.

I do have to do it a little tight because it will fall down if I don't, I'll try looking at looser bun styles and repositioning.:)

queenofheartz44
December 13th, 2017, 01:12 PM

I do wear my bun a little higher up because I like the look, I just wish it didn't end up hurting lol! If it's at the nape of my neck it drives me a little batty when I go to turn my head.

Chromis
December 13th, 2017, 01:18 PM
I do wear my bun a little higher up because I like the look, I just wish it didn't end up hurting lol! If it's at the nape of my neck it drives me a little batty when I go to turn my head.

AH, the base of my buns start at the nape, but they do not hang down at all, that would drive me batty as well.

Arciela
December 13th, 2017, 01:30 PM
I have a similar problem...I have iii hair and usually I have to redo the bun several times until its loose enough and not pulling hard. My go to bun is the nautilus and if I can do it right it doesn't hurt...it only does after a few hours :flower:

When I need a break from buns I just braid it and call it a day.

lapushka
December 13th, 2017, 02:45 PM
What kind of "buns" are you wearing. Because you're iii and just BSL, and I couldn't wear a bun until hip, comfortably, so you might just be lacking the length for a headache-less bun. Maybe try a log roll or peacock twist.

PixieP
December 13th, 2017, 02:45 PM
What do you use to secure your bun? I cannot use straight forks, and a lot of days I cannot use sticks either (I have chronic headaches and the wrong securing sets it off). Forks with headcurve is my lifesaver. My favourite is an extra thin acrylic 3 prong fork from Crockett Mountain Woodworks, it's super lightweight, the 3 prongs means it has really good hold (meaning I can bun looser, but it still stays very secure) and the headcurve makes it super comfy.

lithostoic
December 13th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Try sectioned buns! As in, bun the top half (or bottom half, for a low bun) and wrap the other half around it. This works wonders for my sensitive scalp.

Lizabeth94
December 13th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I suffer terribly with pain from updos as well, in fact i got frustrated and chopped my hair to a pixie a few years ago and now im trying to grow it out again. Im hoping that milkmaid braids or crown braids will be my saving grace as ive never tried those before but they look much more comfortable than a bun. Have you tried loose braids? It was the only protective style i could tollerate, no tight braids, only very loose ones.

Chromis
December 13th, 2017, 06:10 PM
I suffer terribly with pain from updos as well, in fact i got frustrated and chopped my hair to a pixie a few years ago and now im trying to grow it out again. Im hoping that milkmaid braids or crown braids will be my saving grace as ive never tried those before but they look much more comfortable than a bun. Have you tried loose braids? It was the only protective style i could tollerate, no tight braids, only very loose ones.

Milkmaid braids look soooo cute too! The false crown braid used to be my all time favourite when my hair was shorter! (Now it wraps around slightly more than twice and stops in a weird spot...but I don't have enough yet to do a bun at the base)

Another sectioning suggestion I would make is the Modified Ellingwoman.

Jo Ann
December 13th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Generally, if you can center your bun at the back of your head, between your ears, with the top of the bun not higher than the tops of your ears (of course, there ARE exceptions :p ), you should find the discomfort easing. Finding that sweet spot is key.

spidermom
December 13th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Two or more buns can be ultra-comfortable!

PixieP
December 14th, 2017, 05:42 AM
Also, depends on the bun. I can never get an LWB to be comfy on me, my favourite is the spock bun, that never pulls on anything for me. Cinnabun with a fork is also really good for me.

CrowningGlory
December 14th, 2017, 11:42 PM
What do you use to secure your bun? I cannot use straight forks, and a lot of days I cannot use sticks either (I have chronic headaches and the wrong securing sets it off). Forks with headcurve is my lifesaver. My favourite is an extra thin acrylic 3 prong fork from Crockett Mountain Woodworks, it's super lightweight, the 3 prongs means it has really good hold (meaning I can bun looser, but it still stays very secure) and the headcurve makes it super comfy.

I second that hair toys make a difference. I can only use sticks (preferably bone or Ketylo) and have only two curved metal forks that don't cause headaches (sadly no longer available). Spin pins, other forks, and Ficcares all cause headaches. In this case, it's a case of trying what works for your hair and scalp.

lapushka
December 15th, 2017, 05:42 AM
Generally, if you can center your bun at the back of your head, between your ears, with the top of the bun not higher than the tops of your ears (of course, there ARE exceptions :p ), you should find the discomfort easing. Finding that sweet spot is key.

A little higher is about where I wear my bun daily. I think it's over the tops of my ears, TBH (lemme feel around... yep). From the front you barely see it peaking out, so I don't know if I can wear it higher. I tried this week, but unsuccessfully.

ReadingRenee
March 22nd, 2018, 11:23 AM
OP, did you ever find a solution? I have the same problem and my hair is only ii thickness. I have cut my hair to a few inches above BSL to see it if would help, but it didn't. Today I got the worst headache from wearing a peacock twist of all things! It feels like a tension headache for me, like it is straining my neck muscles somehow. But at the same time, wearing my hair directly on top of my head really hurts from my hair being pulled straight up like that. Maybe it is a matter of training my follicles?

This thread had some good ideas, for now I am going to try to do low braids and cinnabuns held with spin pins. I hope something works. It is very frustrating!

fhairyqueen
March 22nd, 2018, 11:43 AM
This happened to me when I first started wearing ponytails even though my hair was barely shoulder length
I started wearing it up for short periods of time and then taking it down and weaned myself into it eventually it stopped
I never wear tight styles either