PDA

View Full Version : How do I braid straight?

queenofheartz44
December 13th, 2017, 10:04 AM
So I have this little issue with braiding my hair, each time I shift it over my shoulder my braid comes out twisted. My hair's too long now (yay!) to braid it all behind me and when I bring it over my shoulder to finish it, there is a noticeable turn where I brought the braid around. How do I continue braiding my hair so that it is all straight without twists? I know it involves something with braiding my hair differently and I was able to do it once before but for the life of me, I can't remember how I did it. Thanks!

Shorty89
December 13th, 2017, 10:05 AM
I struggle with this sometimes. I try to braid my hair for another couple turns behind my back before moving it over my shoulder. You could also try braiding above your head instead, but I find that that makes a french braid saggy at the bottom.

Nique1202
December 13th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Practice, mainly. Finding a way to hold the strands that you can remember which one's which, and also, not making the next turning too tight as I've found that having one tight turning makes it look twisted even when it's not.

I'm sure there are braid tutorials on YouTube that go into different ways to do it, I'm sure Torrin Paige has touched on the subject in many of her braided style vids and probably SilVousPlaits explained it when she did her braid techniques series.

Groovy Granny
December 13th, 2017, 11:34 AM
I have to make a mental note of what direction the strands are placed as I pull it to the front...and then reversing the movement.
In the back the strands are worked away from me for an English braid...in then in the front they are moved toward me etc
Looking in a mirror also helps me continue some days ;)
After a while it comes naturally :cheer:

Sarahlabyrinth
December 13th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I used to have this problem too, then I tried braiding it over the opposite shoulder to the one I usually used, and then it worked fine for me. I think because I was unused to braiding that way so I had to take more care whilst doing it, and then the braid came out straight. Though if you are braiding it to put it in a bun, it won't matter if it's twisted or not.

Groovy Granny
December 13th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I just saw your braid post ....you have trouble?! :hmm:

It looked amazing :thud:....and better than mine :lol:

Anje
December 13th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Someone here once suggested flipping it straight up over your head and braiding past your nose instead. Works pretty well. Otherwise, I've had luck just switching to the other shoulder.

lapushka
December 13th, 2017, 12:56 PM
If you switch over a shoulder, chances are you braid the other way round back to front, instead of front to back; it is key to keep braiding with the flow of the braid - if I'm making *any* sense at all here. LOL!

peachyleshy
December 13th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Sometimes I will take it over on shoulder and braid a bit, then finish it off on the other shoulder. That seems to even in our a bit.

queenofheartz44
December 13th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Thank you for all of the suggestions!

AmaryllisRed
December 13th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Thank you for asking this! I haven't had much luck, either. It always gets a twist in it and I struggle to braid the "opposite" way when I bring it over my shoulder.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 14th, 2017, 04:14 AM
It's mostly a matter of practise, I think. Try braiding more loosely, and don't pull on the strands at all as you braid, either. See if that helps.

Ligeia Noire
December 14th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Dear Torrin touched the subject as someone mentioned here, at least in this one here. Go to the minute 04:05, very helpful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oleIpTxb6M