PDA

View Full Version : More on the "older women shouldn't have long hair" thing

lynnala
October 29th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I'm 51 years old, and I teach at a college, so my students are mostly in their 20's. I almost always wear my hair up, just because it's more comfortable and I tend to get really warm on the back of my neck. So my students this semester had never seen my hair down. Today, because I had slept with wet braids, my hair had a really nice wave, so I wore it down. The first thing my students said was "wow, you look so much younger with your hair down!". And some other people who see me all the time and never comment on my appearance said things like "you look so good today!". So there, to all the people who say that long hair doesn't look good on older women! Ha!!:bigtongue:

Starr
October 29th, 2008, 01:07 AM
That is so awesome!:cheese:

sahiba
October 29th, 2008, 01:10 AM
That must have made your day... didn't it ?:wacko:

lynnala
October 29th, 2008, 01:14 AM
It sure did, and you can bet I'll be wearing my hair down more often!:D

Teazel
October 29th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I knew it! :lol:

Good to hear, lynnala. :D

DavidN
October 29th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Congratulations on getting those lovely compliments, Lynnala, and there is to compare with a few kind words to make your day!

Sarahmoon
October 29th, 2008, 04:51 AM
That is awsome! May you be a great example for when they'll be older than 40.

Dolly
October 29th, 2008, 05:14 AM
And see, it's the younger people who say you look younger......who would know better? The only ones that I find that tell me that women over a ceratin age shouldn't have long hair are older women.....I think it is because they miss their own hair and are just jealous.....

I agree, wear that hair down, and show it off!

Curlsgirl
October 29th, 2008, 06:25 AM
And see, it's the younger people who say you look younger......who would know better? The only ones that I find that tell me that women over a ceratin age shouldn't have long hair are older women.....I think it is because they miss their own hair and are just jealous.....

I agree, wear that hair down, and show it off!

You are right. I posted just the other day ( I'm 48 ) that younger people tell me all the time how much they love my hair. I get compliments from older people but not nearly as many.

Congratulations lynnala!!! Well deserved!!!:cheese:

Katze
October 29th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I agree, well-kept long hair can definitely make someone look younger.

Maybe everyone is afraid of all the sexy 'older' women running around out there, or that a woman might look younger than she really is? Oh, watch out! :D

Anne~
October 29th, 2008, 06:33 AM
That is Great! Good to hear about your experience!

Shanarana
October 29th, 2008, 06:39 AM
That's wonderful to hear....you must have been glowing like a school girl yourself. ;)

Curlsgirl
October 29th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I agree, well-kept long hair can definitely make someone look younger.

Maybe everyone is afraid of all the sexy 'older' women running around out there, or that a woman might look younger than she really is? Oh, watch out! :D

Hee hee! Good point! AND you know a lot of it comes down to a lot of women think they can't grow long hair for some reason, either lack of patience or not knowing how to take care of it or thinking you aren't SUPPOSED to over 30/40 whatever age!

joyfulmom4
October 29th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Fantastic. Doesn't it feel great to hear compliments like that? :-)

kate46
October 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM
That's really nice lynnala and especially nice that it came from young people who won't normally hold back from what they see to be the truth, if they say your hair looks good then you can be sure it does! :) Thanks for your post, it really does give us oldies a boost of confidence.

Unofficial_Rose
October 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Oh that's wonderful! You do have pretty hair, shame to wear it up all the time. :D

It's also very encouraging for us aspiring longhairs of a certain age ;)

Normally it is just one's short-haired contemporaries who think no-one should have long hair over a certain age. Either they have been brainwashed by conventional thinking or it's a case of "If I can't have long hair, neither should she!"

spidermom
October 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
It sounds like you got a well-deserved compliment. Grow on.

harpgal
October 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Well done lynnala! I really believe that long hair does make us appear more youthful.

Criticisms usually are a result of competition. And other women are very bad about that. Also, there is that age-old thing about becoming less attractive as we age. Go figure....

LutraLutra
October 29th, 2008, 01:19 PM
How nice of your students.

As I'm sure other people have said in other threads, there's something rebelious about women who proudly wear their natural grey/white/silver colours, and don't fall for the disgusting 'if you don't cut your hair and hide your greys then no one will love you/think you're sexy/think you're interesting' advertising cr*p.

One of my hair heros is a woman I sometimes see at work - she's mid 40s with stick straight bright silvery white hair about APL. And she looks amazing.

Elenna
October 29th, 2008, 01:21 PM
The compliments come from younger ladies, the criticisms come from older ladies.

Older ladies really don't realize how their "advice" comes across. They are used to short, styled hair, so their perceptions are different. But it beats me why they think that I want short hair! It's long because I want it long. :pumpkin:

CopperHead
October 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I had my hair in a half up recently and a woman I know told me she thought I was in my 30's. I told her my real age and she was shocked. I love being older and I think I look better now than when I was in my 20's. My hair is definately prettier now than it was then. :) I've found with age, I don't really care what other people think of me.:p

dubon
October 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I had my hair in a half up recently and a woman I know told me she thought I was in my 30's. I told her my real age and she was shocked. I love being older and I think I look better now than when I was in my 20's. My hair is definately prettier now than it was then. :) I've found with age, I don't really care what other people think of me.:p

CopperHead - your hair looks fantastic, and I am sure much better than many in their 30's or 20's - no wonder people ppl may be wrong about your age :)

As a guy (who is fortunate to have a wife with a long hair), I can tell you that indeed longer hair (down, in a bun, or in a braid) does give me always the impression of youth. I think a possible reason is indeed that many women do cut their hair short when they cross a certain age. That said, in specific cases, short hair also can allude to youth (to me - when the hair is really very short, it seems like it comes with an unspoken statement, like "look, I am so young and pretty ... I do not need any hair to prove that" ..). But again, long hair is the real thing ... no doubt about it :)

lynnala
October 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I didn't even mention that I had WO'd for the past two weeks, so to me, my hair seemed a bit oily and I had questioned myself as to whether I should even wear it down that day. Thank goodness for LHC and all the advice I've gotten here!

Tashomani
October 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I live is west TX and it is pretty common to see women with longer hair....which I make a point to compliment them if it looks nice!

Speckla
October 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I think age appropriate hair length is totally bullchip'n'dip! Do the ends of our hair fall off at 50-60-or 70? No, they continue to grow.
________
TOYOTA CORONA (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Corona)

Tangles
October 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
My mom has just past shoulder length hair at around your age, and she 's too scared of it being inappropriate to wear it down more than once in a blue moon. I've tried time and again to convince her out of it, but she won't budge.

Indigosails
October 29th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'm 51 years old, and I teach at a college, so my students are mostly in their 20's. I almost always wear my hair up, just because it's more comfortable and I tend to get really warm on the back of my neck. So my students this semester had never seen my hair down. Today, because I had slept with wet braids, my hair had a really nice wave, so I wore it down. The first thing my students said was "wow, you look so much younger with your hair down!". And some other people who see me all the time and never comment on my appearance said things like "you look so good today!". So there, to all the people who say that long hair doesn't look good on older women! Ha!!:bigtongue:
I love your students! They are so honest. I hope the younger generations do not hear that long hair is only for the young.

longhairedfairy
October 29th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I've always thought that "older" women looked better with longer hair. I thought so even as a small child, and you know how brutally honest children can tend to be!

kmoc123
October 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM
And just what is older? I am 48 and my hair is to my waist. I have no intention of cutting it and growing it to my knees. The only one that says I am too old for long hair is my mother... I am definately NOT listening to HER on this one!!!