PDA

View Full Version : *Experiment*I bleached a hennaed hair strand and..

StartingFrom0
December 11th, 2017, 10:13 AM
This came out. (Bottom of the hair strandis bleached) 12 minutes in 20 volume bleach. I know what you are thinking..Why do I keep strands of hair? Gross! But it's the hair I cut for bangs and I need it so that I don't experiment on all of my hair. :P The results make me think that the henna I dye my hair with isn't really natural, genuine, it's probably fake henna...? Otherwise it would be green right? What do you think about the results?
http://i64.tinypic.com/t66kiu.jpg

KittyBird
December 11th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Henna doesn't go green when bleached, indigo does. Henna just goes orange, and for some people, blonde/white after repeated bleaching. If your henna had contained metallic salts, the bleached hair would have melted, so I'd say your henna is the real thing. What brand do you use?

hobbitlocks
December 11th, 2017, 10:19 AM
I am not a henna expert, but I think indigo is what you need to worry about turning green. Bleaching henna should give you lighter, but still orange-tinted, hair- which seems consistent with your picture.

racheldelrey
December 11th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Keeping your cut hair for experiments is a genius idea!

MotherofJames
December 11th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Yes , I agree. Bleaching henna can lead to an orange color and bleach over indigo it goes green. Bleach over Faked boxed henna can lead to colors of anyone’s guess , seeing that you don’t know what they put in the box. It definitely will damage the hair and possibly melt it off. If you use bleach, it (tries) to open the cuticle of the hair. But if you have henna or indigo protecting that strand of hair on it, the bleach will try and break through that. Causing a lot of damage. Henna and Indigo coat the hair with color. Bleach opens up the cuticle and to allow for color to be put in there , not outside the cuticle. I think your test shows that you have pure henna in your hair .

lapushka
December 11th, 2017, 03:09 PM
That is pretty well bleached out henna. How many applications have you done?

Looks like it came out pretty well. All you'd need to do is tone it or dye it the color you wanted, if that's not it. But I'm surprised that it's not still orange.

And yes, only indigo turns green with bleach, not henna. It shouldn't, anyway!