PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever wear a certain hairstyle,daily,for a very long period of time? Like what

Matilda18
December 11th, 2017, 03:33 AM
I mean I have a cousin with very long hair,ever since she has been a first grader, and up until now, she is 21 now, and she still has her hair in two braids down the back, every day does not matter what ! And it is not a religious thing or something...

Has anyone experienced a similar hair routine for a very long time?

GalaMoon
December 11th, 2017, 03:59 AM
When I was a child, I only wore my hair in a ponytail, that was for many years. I had a friend with CL hair, she only wore it in an English braid that would sometimes put in a low bun, and that was it. That's the reason why I used to think long hair is boring because you can't do much with it...until I found this place.

lapushka
December 11th, 2017, 04:15 AM
I mean I have a cousin with very long hair,ever since she has been a first grader, and up until now, she is 21 now, and she still has her hair in two braids down the back, every day does not matter what ! And it is not a religious thing or something...

Has anyone experienced a similar hair routine for a very long time?

I have been wearing a LWB (lazy wrap bun) for about 5 years now, I think, 4/5 years, always when I'm up, and I wear it down when I go to sleep. It's never hurt me, I don't have a bald patch from the bun that I wear in about the same spot daily. It's no problem for me, but I don't pull it tight either. It's a very comfy bun for me.

I like it that she apparently doesn't give a hoot about what other people think, because she has got to have had comments on it. :thumbsup: Good for her!

Dendra
December 11th, 2017, 06:19 AM
I have been wearing a LWB (lazy wrap bun) for about 5 years now, I think, 4/5 years, always when I'm up, and I wear it down when I go to sleep. It's never hurt me, I don't have a bald patch from the bun that I wear in about the same spot daily. It's no problem for me, but I don't pull it tight either. It's a very comfy bun for me.

I like it that she apparently doesn't give a hoot about what other people think, because she has got to have had comments on it. :thumbsup: Good for her!

That's good to know that it hasn't harmed your hair in any way. Maybe the key is not making the bun tight. I've been wearing a braided log roll for a few months and I was feeling a little unsure about that but it's probably fine.

Aredhel
December 11th, 2017, 06:24 AM
I have been wearing a log roll every day for almost a year... I just don't care to change it up because this one is perfect for me in that it's very easy to do, it's extremely comfortable and it looks nice. :)

Hairkay
December 11th, 2017, 06:45 AM
When I was a child the daily hairstyle for all girls in the family was two plaits/braids/twists (sausage comb curls for cousins with looser curls). It was a rare day when it was different. People began to call it our trade mark. When I was a teen and doing my hair regularly I varied it slightly by having two cornrows/canerows, crown braid style. I called that my mature style. My sister's ex even commented on my hairstyle. I made a point of telling her to tell him that my hair was in "that style" again when he called on the phone and I was with her.

I've seen pictures of mother and my aunt as children, they too had the two plaits. Even when my niece visited my grandparents she had her hair combed into the two plaits. My sis even made a joke by putting my nephew's hair in the two plaits and taking his picture. She said he was not escaping the family tradition. It's easy for me to part my hair in two because I've sort of got a permanent part there. My hair will fall in two halves. Some days I'll still have the two cornrows or flat twists. It works so I'm sticking with it.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 11th, 2017, 06:51 AM
When I was a teenager with waist length hair I would wear a log roll held with a barrette every day. It was the only style I knew, apart from a ponytail, and it kept my hair contained and my head cooler, as we lived in the tropics at that time. It never harmed my hair (but the rough brushing and dragging knots out of it did :blush: )

Jo Ann
December 11th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Um...lumberjack jokes aside, what is a log roll?

Aredhel
December 11th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Um...lumberjack jokes aside, what is a log roll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7XKBUtl7O0

Jo Ann
December 11th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Thank you, Aredhel!

MusicalSpoons
December 11th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Oh, ha, yes I did. As a child it was in a low ponytail with centre parting for some years, then one time my friend convinced me to put it in a ponytail without the parting! Then it was in a ponytail or plait (braid) every day, until the age of 11 or 12 when I discovered how to put my hair into a bun held with a scrunchie. From then until December last year (age 27) my hair was in a beebutt bun [held with a scrunchie, then a hair elastic] or ponytail, with the very occasional plait Every. Single. Day.

Then I discovered LHC and immediately recognised that the hair elastic in the same place all the time was damaging my hair :oops: so stopped that and now I have a few hair-friendly styles in my repertoire :)

Dendra
December 11th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Oh my goodness, her log roll looks about ten million times more professional that mine. And I now feel silly for thinking I'm outgrowing this hairstyle! Good to see that with the thumb looping thing I can carry on for yards to come.

Corvana
December 11th, 2017, 01:17 PM
As a teen, it was a peacock twist in a claw clip, or a cinnabun held with a hair tie (which I still do now! Only held with a scrunchie). I didn't realize the cinnabun one, until I caught myself doing it subconsciously and was like "wait a sec..." Apparently my fingers just do it! Even if that's not what I was originally going for!

Then later I did a lot of double half-up pigtails, double pigtails, and double pigtail buns (where you don't loop the elastic all the way and hold the ends of your ponytail with it?). That was in my early 20s mostly, and late teens.

And of course just "down" lmao.

Lady Stardust
December 11th, 2017, 05:28 PM
I read a philosophical tale about music where a man played the cello day after day, playing the same note over and over. His wife suggested that, as other people played many different notes, maybe he should try that too. He said "Those people are looking for their notes. I have found my note."

I think the same could apply to hairstyles :-)

Raevyngoddess
December 11th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Yes, hair in a ponytail with elastic. :yikes:

Lizabeth94
December 11th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Sort of, when i was in I think 3rd grade my dad would put my hair in this awful imitation sock bun thing every morning. It was done with this special oval shaped "bun maker tool" he bought with a hook on each end. You roll the hair from the bottom up around the oval part, and then hook the two ends together making a doughnut shape, and spread the hair around it. All buns hurt my head, I can't wear them, but this one was exceptionally painful for some reason. It felt like someone had tied a rock to the back of my head and it was just hanging there pulling on me if that makes any sense. :wail:
I would wait till I got to school and then take it out, and then when my dad came to pick me up at the end of the day he would be sad/hurt/angry as he "worked so hard on my hair." Thankfully when he realized it was just hurting my head he stopped trying to put in a bun every morning, and I usually wore it down with a headband to keep my bangs out of my face.

Deborah
December 11th, 2017, 09:42 PM
I wear my hair in a bun almost every single day. I like it that way, and it has not caused my head or hair any problems, so why change?

yahirwaO.o
December 12th, 2017, 12:09 AM
Ha ha ha Well Im guilty of being rocking the down middle part for almost almost a decade and well I like it, short, long medium its always in the center! Middle part in other variations such as a low ponytails and two braids got me to classic lenght without any real problem.

...... and my hair could never hold without a hair tie, I've been reading about clips, sticks, ficarres and such but my scalp just dont agree with them. :cool:

leayellena
December 12th, 2017, 01:16 AM
cinnabun and the nautilus. we already have the thread New Hairstyle Every Week Challenge! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125164 ( New Hairstyle Every Week Challenge) but as fsar as I know, it's dead. people get bored wearing the same hairstyle every day...

trolleypup
December 12th, 2017, 02:24 AM
I think I figured out my single stick lazy bun fairly soon after I joined LHC. Probably 90+% of my waking hours are in this style.

Monsterkitti
December 12th, 2017, 02:26 AM
Peacock twist in a claw clip as a teen was my go to style almost every day :)

For work for probably the last few years I wear a wide hair band pulling it back into a loosely looped bun with big claw clips. It doesn't seem to have done it any damage and its quick and easy in the morning :) Fancy styles are for the weekend for me :)

Mirabele
December 12th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Yes. Ponytail with elastic almost all my life before lhc. I am not proud of it but i just had no idea what else i could make with my hair. Has it done any damage? Yes a lot. Together with a few other factors this was why my hair was never longer than shoulder/apl.

Pumpkin3826
December 12th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Yes!! I have been wearing my hair the same for the good part of 2017. I have been battling back and forth with blunt bang's.. growing them out and trimming them back. I always go back to that same hair style though. I wear a thick cotton headband to hid my bangs, I also like the turban style thicker headbands that kind of cover your ears, and I put my hair up in a lazy wrap bun. Needless to say I own about 30 headbands and a bunch of different hairstick's and flexi's that I use for the lazy wrap bun. Every time I decide to grow out my bangs I go "treat myself" to some new head bands, and since I have trimmed and started growing them out every 3 months this year I accumulated a lot of headbands!! Lol. It is the most comfortable style I have found. It is all off my shoulders and out of my face.

peachyleshy
December 12th, 2017, 06:51 PM
When I first learned to do the Nautilus Bun, several months ago, I wore my hair like that almost everyday for quite a few months.
There was one time when I was a teenager (and it seems like always in the phase of growing out my bangs) I wore it with the front pinned back with a slight bump.
I like wearing different hairstyles and trying new ones. But it is also nice to have a favorite or a signature look that you love.

diddiedaisy
December 13th, 2017, 12:29 AM
I wear it the same nearly every day, I twist it up at the back, tuck the ends in and bang on a flexi 8. It takes about ten seconds and is a good protective style.

However, I have no skills for most braids and buns, my hair isn’t abundant enough for many styles, and I don’t have enough time in the morning to do anything other than tried and tested quick!!!!

Simsy
December 16th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Yes, in both contexts. I wear a pair of Dutch braids pinned around my head for work. They go up Sunday afternoon, and they don’t come down until the following Saturday or Sunday morning so I can detangle and wash/oil. This has been has been the go-to for work for the last year (and a bit?) and it looks like it will continue for the foreseeable future.

Stub
December 16th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I put my hair in a tight English braid every morning, wear it that way all day until my second job at night, when I put on a baseball cap with the braid through the hole at the back and then I bun the braid (restaurant kitchen) until I go home. Then I take it down, brush out my hair, and loosely braid it in another English braid for sleeping. I do have some breakage from the tight braiding, but I can't seem to make myself do a loose braid for daytime. It shreds SO much worse when its loose. The breakage just looks like intentional FFL anyway so I'm ok with that. :)

Robi-Bird
December 16th, 2017, 07:06 PM
I don't do the same bun every day but the lwb is my go to, and I ALWAYS put my hair up with a stick. I love my collection of LIs. I thought I lost one and almost cried.

Drowseyweirdo
December 16th, 2017, 07:10 PM
I used to only put my hair in a bun every single day this went on for years. My little sister now only puts hers in a ponytail and refuses to let anyone do any differently.

spirals
December 17th, 2017, 01:04 AM
For a few years in high school I wore a half up with a barrette or ponytailer. I also went through periods of French braid, weeks on end.

Guitargod
December 17th, 2017, 09:27 AM
For years I wore a ponytail every single day. And it has done a lot of damage to my hair. For the last 2 months I have mostly been going to work with loose hair, and when I'm home it's usually a Nautilus with a stick. Friday we had a Christmas party at work and I wore the Nautilus in public for the first time ever. People were quite surprised - female coworkers were praising it and I had to listen to a couple of silly remarks from fellow males but I think it's not going to be the last time. I just love how it keeps my hair 100% tangle free and I think it doesn't do any damage as long as it isn't tight.

Suze
December 17th, 2017, 10:57 AM
I always cahnged it up a lot and tried a ton of different things. Never had a go to hairstyle I guess but if I wa srunning late or something it would be a ponytail or a messy bun with an elastic.

AmberLouise89
December 17th, 2017, 11:23 AM
I wear my hair in two english braids every single day except wash day because I always wear my hair down on wash day. I've been doing this since my hair was long enough to braid, so a couple of years now. Every once in a great while I might do one dutch braid but that doesn't happen very often.

Stray_mind
December 17th, 2017, 12:54 PM
I always wore a half pulled trough ponytail in my teen years... no need to say, my hair were all broken down in the middle or damaged... it was terrible, i didn't know proper hair care. I didn't even condition my hair back then....

Still had it down to my waist, but it was in a terrible condition.

Ligeia Noire
December 18th, 2017, 07:32 PM
I wear a braided bun every day, pretty much for the last 4 years or more?... Works like a charm.

Griselda
December 18th, 2017, 10:02 PM
I'm super boring AND too impatient to learn cool hairstyles. So I'm wearing the Nautilus bun since ... forever! The only variation is a braid that I also wear in a Nautilus bun. so ... my hair is super boring ;)

MotherofJames
December 19th, 2017, 05:59 AM
I put my hair loosely up in a wooden fork (as seen in my avatar) in different ways. Sometimes low bun, sometimes high on my head, but always with the wooden fork. I just kinda go with it depending on how my hair is cooperating that day (obviously it gets oilier the further I am away from the last wash day)
Or I just leave it down. It’s either those two. At night, I put it in pigtails near my ears because I sleep on my back mainly so the hair won’t get caught under my neck. Sometimes I (very) loosely braid it inside the pigtails with a scrunchie. Or I use a silky sleep cap, throw some oil in my moist hair, and let it loose inside the cap and I wake up with silky hair. Letting your hair air dry while locking moisture in is really good for it.

I don’t believe in protective styles that are tightly wound or braided. They hurt my head. I get way more breakage. If something feels likes it’s pulling my hair and tight and hurts me, I’m not doing it. It’s counterproductive for my hair growth. I trust my gut completely. So it’s either the wooden forks to keep my hair up, or it’s staying down, everyday.

Cg
December 19th, 2017, 12:26 PM
No matter what I start with, every day I end up with a twisted (and braided if it started with that) spidermom's. It's the only bun that reliably stays without immediately drooping toward the floor. I don't suppose it causes damage, but it does get tiresome.

lottiealice
December 19th, 2017, 02:51 PM
I usually wear it down or in two braids. At night I either have it in the same two braids or just don't pull my hair fully through my scrunchie and keep it under a sleep cap - truthfully it's in the silk sleep cap 90% of the time I'm at home.

Afanen
December 19th, 2017, 05:51 PM
I used to do a cinnabun all the time, held up with a wooden fork or bobby pins. I have thin spots near my temples I think that were caused by it though :( now only really wear low ponytails with scrunchies or loose braids to let my scalp recuperate.

Chiquita Banana
December 19th, 2017, 10:12 PM
Lazy wrap bun. 90% of the time. I also wear side braids or a disc bun or a cinnabun. But mostly, lazy wraps... because I'm lazy. :grin:

Agnes Hannah
December 24th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Cinnamon bun held with a claw for at least three and a half years!

lapushka
December 24th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Yep LWB here too, always when I'm up, and when I'm asleep loose (for now, but still trying to figure out a solution for past classic if loose should no longer work). I need to get up a few times a night to go pee, often, so... it's a toilet seat issue.

Sora Rose
December 24th, 2017, 10:15 AM
I almost always wear a nautilus bun - unless I'm working out, in which case I make a simple plait braid and tuck it into a mop cap. I let it loose when I'm sleeping.

MusicalSpoons
December 24th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Yep LWB here too, always when I'm up, and when I'm asleep loose (for now, but still trying to figure out a solution for past classic if loose should no longer work). I need to get up a few times a night to go pee, often, so... it's a toilet seat issue.

When I have to go to the toilet straight from bed, I wrap my hair around my neck (loosely!) and have done since about tbl :)

pandabarrier
December 26th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Here is my hair updo journey rambling. When I started to grow long hair in 2012 it was ponytail all the time. Then in 2015, when my hair was around MBL, I started using hair sticks. Oh, learning to do buns with slippery hair was difficult for me!

I did cinnabun for very long time, held by 2 hair sticks. When my hair got heavier I tried to learn other buns, and braided buns. Some worked, some didn’t. Disc bun, L-finity bun, braided nautilus bun, just to name a few I’ve tried. Many times I had to redo the buns when I got to work, or it fell apart in the subway.

I did Spock bun for many months, it’s super comfy, but after a few hair accidents of hair fork slipping out of the bun while I was crossing the street, I started adding a lot of extra spin pins to secure the bun. I even made a 3-prong wood hair fork, it worked well with Artemis bun, but sadly I made it too short and can’t hold my hair all day.

I recently joined the Ficcare bandwagon, and learned double wrapped nautilus bun, it’s quick and easy, and it stays all day, but I wonder if it’s bad that I’m doing it almost every day. I try to alternate the sides, one day I do it with my right hand, the other day I do the bun with my left hand. At least I don’t manipulate my hair as much as before, I only have to do the bun once.