PDA

View Full Version : static solutions?

Elizabethanne
December 9th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Hey I've tried using dryer sheets, doing an oil treatment, using a wood comb and a special anti static brush. I still can't beat the static! Any suggestions please?

lapushka
December 9th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Spraying a bit of hairspray on your comb and going through your hair with it (don't spray it on the wooden comb, though).

Nique1202
December 9th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Just doing an oil treatment may not help depending on what you did afterward, since washing the oil out will undo all the benefits, some oils don't absorb as well into the hair, etc.

Hair gets extra static when it's dry, so you've got to find a routine that adds and keeps more moisture in the hair. This may mean thicker conditioners in the dry months, adding silicones to your routine to help seal the moisture in at the end (used sparingly/only as needed if you find you're prone to buildup), and/or using one, two, or all three of the methods linked in lapushka's signature. Don't change more than one thing at a time, though, to make sure that you can track the effects of each thing you do differently.

lapushka
December 10th, 2017, 05:16 AM
Just doing an oil treatment may not help depending on what you did afterward, since washing the oil out will undo all the benefits, some oils don't absorb as well into the hair, etc.

Hair gets extra static when it's dry, so you've got to find a routine that adds and keeps more moisture in the hair. This may mean thicker conditioners in the dry months, adding silicones to your routine to help seal the moisture in at the end (used sparingly/only as needed if you find you're prone to buildup), and/or using one, two, or all three of the methods linked in lapushka's signature. Don't change more than one thing at a time, though, to make sure that you can track the effects of each thing you do differently.

You know what? I hadn't thought of the moisture. :) But, true, I have been on these methods since between 5-10 years now, and I have not experienced static since.

ReptilianFeline
December 10th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Catnip spray works even on static on undergarments... or so I've been told. It works well on hair, but gives lot of slip as well.

Jo Ann
December 10th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Hi, Elizabethanne, and welcome aboard!

Generally, I use a light oil serum on mine to keep from looking like I just stepped off my broom, but some here have good luck with light applications of aloe vera gel (the clear kind, and preferably with NO alcohol or unnecessary additives or numbing agents) or (believe it or not) a very very light application of hand lotion (like you used your hair as a towel to get off the excess).

Groovy Granny
December 10th, 2017, 11:00 AM
My hair is fine and wispy, and I use a dab of conditioner,then a few drops of oil, and lastly a few drops of Biosilk Lite Serum on damp hair, and that works fine to add more moisture in the long run.

On dry hair....a drop of oil, Biosilk or even lotion works well; rosewater & glycerin spray is also nice in Winter or for Humidity frizz.

school of fish
December 10th, 2017, 11:42 AM
I add an oil rinse to my routine during winter (tiniest bit of mineral oil in between my S&C) and that helps take the edge off the static sparks ;) A spritz of rosewater as needed throughout the day to counteract whatever electric charge still manages to build up :)

It's about throwing enough moisture in there to battle against the dryness of the ambient conditions - different solutions are likely to help different types of hair and different conditions wherever you live - those are the ones that work for me :)

Flowerness
December 10th, 2017, 12:06 PM
I get dry hair in the wintertime, too. If it gets too bad wetting hair while out helps a bit until I can get home, or I'll stick a dryer sheet in my bag for emergencies. Then I'll deep condition my hair asap. A long deep oiling, and smt work great, and I try to do this more regularly. Depending on weather, sometimes I'll stick a small container of honey in the shower to be added to my conditioner as well. Not waiting as long to wash hair (so hair gets conditioner more frequently), and following up with an ACV rinse for extra conditioning helps when my hair is dry. Whenever I have a hair problem, I go down the list: clarify and deep condition, smt and deep oiling, ACV rinse, using coney conditioner twice (so no lovely smelling vanilla mint vo5). Each time I do the list, I try to wash all brushes, combs and scrunchies at once. If static is a problem, washing pjs, pillow cases, etc. with extra fabric softener is a step I like to include just in case. Sometimes it just doesn't go away easily, though. So I oil/coney serum my hair and twist it up with a clip and try to leave it alone. Hope this helps! Good luck!

SwordWomanRiona
December 10th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Static is the bane of my life right now :wail: (my hair is fine-textured and it's always been static-prone, but lately, for the last year or so, not just the Winter, the issue is verging on unbearable). I use (clear) aloe vera gel daily, at least twice a day, and that helps keep the static at bay (sometimes a bit of hairspray, but I can't stand the smell so I can't use it often). Still looking for shampoos/some treatment that would help without adding too much oil/moisture i don't need to my hair (It's not a dryness problem, I don't think, because I have oily-prone roots and normal length and ends, and my hair doesn't absorb oil well, so oil treatments are generally a nope :/)...A few years ago I used a shampoo that actually reduced my static, but they changed the formulation, so looking again for something that might work xD

Thinking about carrying aloe vera gel in my bag so that I can use it when out and wear my hair in braids or half/loose/ponytailed at least sometimes (lately I can practically only wear it up because it becomes unmanageable in minutes otherwise :/). Also thinking about getting an ionic hair-dryer, perhaps...

I don't think I can use a lot of oil without getting over-greasy hair, and same with conditioner, I don't use it (in my case it's not a problem of lacking moisture, really, my hair is never dry, it's just that it's so fine-textured it gets charged so easily), but the glycerin and/or rosewater and/or serums idea sound good, I'll be trying that!

PrincessBob
December 12th, 2017, 10:45 AM
A mayo mask (mayonnaise, honey mixed distributed through damp hair, bunned and wrapped for an hour or so, washed out with conditioner) makes my hair manageable and low static, but it is SO much protein that my ends get a bit crunchy from it. I can only do it like every six weeks and the effects wear off by the second week.