PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else's hair just SOAK up the coconut oil?

Laurenhope29
December 8th, 2017, 03:13 PM
So last night I drenched my ends in coconut oil, put my hair in braids and went to bed. This morning i took the braids out and my hair didn't look too oily, so I put a tiny bit more in and decided to rock the braid waves today. Now it's halfway through the day and it looks like I never put any oil in it! My hair just soaked it all up! I don't know if it's just because it's winter time and the air is dry or what, I just thought it was strange lol.
This is my first post on LHC by the way, so hello everyone! :)

lapushka
December 8th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Hello & welcome.

Your hair might soak up the oil, initially, but there will come a time (if you don't wash in between) when you will have reached a point of saturation and it will turn oily, so be gentle on the oil! Less is more. :flower:

Dendra
December 8th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Hi there, welcome :waving:

My hair has never been like this, if I put even a small amount in it looks limp and greasy! Do you have thick/coarse hair?

Jo Ann
December 8th, 2017, 03:52 PM
The only times my hair has soaked up oil was when I used protein conditioners when I did a SMT (my Beastie hates protein conditioners) or the first time I did a white vinegar rinse (I didn't condition afterwards :shocked: ).

sumidha
December 8th, 2017, 04:26 PM
It's also possible some it if rubbed off on your pillowcase. ;)

But yes, my hair absorbs coconut oil and is not visibly oily unless I use a ton.

Arciela
December 8th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Half of my hair is bleached and it does the same thing! It also does it wth conditioner. I thought I was the only one :lol:

However for my virgin hair, it soaks it up for sure but not nearly as much as the bleached parts.

Gem
December 8th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I use about two tablespoons of oil for a pre-wash treatment. I think the recommendation is to use about a quarter of that, but this is what my hair likes.

Laurenhope29
December 8th, 2017, 09:13 PM
I forgot to mention that my hair has been bleached... that's probably why it soaks it up so much lol duh

Alex Lou
December 9th, 2017, 01:24 AM
My hair has also been bleached and overnight it does not soak up much coconut oil. It's still oily in the morning and I take it on faith that a small percentage has soaked in.

Beeboo123
December 9th, 2017, 08:08 AM
NO. My hair is impermeable to oils... I need only ONE drop of any oil to condition my lengths. Very economical, haha. One bottle of oil lasts a looooong time

marvel-lover
December 9th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Well, it did once. And then my hair did as close to throwing it back up as hair can. I would also recommend being a little bit cautious with over-oiling. If it becomes too oily, you may have to strip your hair of moisture to get it back out. However, if it's working for your hair, then by all means continue.

StartingFrom0
December 9th, 2017, 08:59 AM
For me, when I soak my hair in coconut oil for more than 5-6 hours, my hair gets very very hard and crispy especially if it's cold. I wash my hair and everything is normal again.

peachyleshy
December 9th, 2017, 09:01 AM
When I leave it in over night, after saturating it with coconut oil, it does soaks up quite a bit to where it sort of looks dry in the morning. However, coconut oil is not one I can put on as a leave in.

ephemeri
December 10th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Yesssss! This is my hair. (It's not bleached though.)

I can put quite a bit of coconut oil into it, over a few days, and it just makes it shiny and smoother, not oily. It's surprising, really. My ends do have old box dye on them so that might be contributing to this ability. It will be interesting to see what my hair is like once it's all grown out virgin.

spidermom
December 10th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Not usually, but every once in awhile it does soak up the oil I put in it.

Deborah
December 10th, 2017, 08:56 PM
No, my hair does not soak up oil. I guess this means it does not need the oil. I gave up on it.

lapushka
December 11th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Coconut oil? No way. The only coconut oil my hair sort of agreed with was the Vatika oil. Regular CO leaves my hair dry and crunchy, and even the fractionated CO, so it's not a "it freezes in your hair" thing.

I do put MO / baby oil on my ends (last 3-5 inches). I used to do 3/4 inches, but it grew so I put it in more of the lengths now. I use 2 to 3 pumps of oil (3 lately, because my hair grew and I need to spread it out over more hair). But baby oil is awesome for my hair. I bought a more natural baby oil from Lidl and that works too (it's sweet almond and camomile). I love both! I do only use it in the rinse-out oil method, so after shampooing, I put my first conditioner on, rinse, then put my oil on, and immediately follow with my 2nd conditioner, then rinse that out after 2 min. of soaking too. It works for me.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 16th, 2017, 10:46 PM
My hair has.. low porosity? So it does not soak in or drink up any oil whatsoever.
I think only hair with raised cuticles.. ie.. damage.. can "soak in" and drink up oil.
Theres a whole science to it but im too tired to type lol

I prefer oil to seal, i will never soak my hair in oil and then sleep. No way!!
mess up my pillow cases no thank you

mrsmushroom
July 22nd, 2018, 03:45 PM
Mine does this too! Today I bought some coconut oil to try oiling my ends for the first time. I put on a good amount and now a few hours later they don't look oily at all, only smooth and shiny. So happy I discovered this trick

Belle03
August 4th, 2018, 02:02 AM
Mine does this too! Today I bought some coconut oil to try oiling my ends for the first time. I put on a good amount and now a few hours later they don't look oily at all, only smooth and shiny. So happy I discovered this trick

Initially my hair responded the same way to coconut oil. I realized about 7 months later that my hair wasn't moisturized or sealed properly? I had to use the coconut oil everyday to seal my ends. By the way, I texlax my hair (4c texture). I switched to flax seed oil, and had better lasting results.

Simsy
August 4th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Not coconut oil, it doesn’t. My hair has annoyingly specific tastes for oil, needs ridiculous amounts to keep it happy, and it doesn’t tolerate cheap stuff. So no coconut oil, olive oil or even jojoba oil. No, I’m straight to the heinously expensive Argan oil (praise whatever god was listening for commercial wholesalers).

Thankfully, my hair will tolerate straight oil and doesn’t mind a reduction in oiling if I remember regular masks and deep moisture treatments. I just wish it wasn’t so stuck up about price points.

Garnet66
August 4th, 2018, 11:33 PM
My hair loves coconut oil to a point. Right now it loves it. But once it gets into to better condition it will no longer tolerate it anymore. My hair is very strange indeed.

Bryndhildr
August 5th, 2018, 12:46 PM
My hair (3b/3c) sometimes likes coconut oil. I would mix it with conditioner as a leave-in or just alone in the winter but when the summer came around, it just started feeling crunchy.

I still use some in a deep conditioner I keep on overnight (coconut milk, oil, conditioner) once a week. I also use it to protect my scalp and hair from bleach. I think my hair prefers it not so often on its own or as part of a deep conditioner that is rinsed out. A real shame cause it's cheap, smells great and gave my curls a lot of shine.

spidermom
August 5th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Every once in awhile it does but usually not. I've also had my hair look greasy and dull from sebum one day, so I decide I will wash it "tomorrow", and the next day it looks fine. But that's very occasional.