PDA

View Full Version : Vintage hairstyles for MBL+

shaiyeh
December 8th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Hello!

I'm in an awkward place somewhwere just above waist length hair, and I'm looking for vintage hairstyles (20s-40s, poss 50s) that work, obviously without heat. I figured there might be other vintage interested people on here, so I thought I'd start a thread as most videos and tutorials I see are collar bone-BSL ish hair.
I don't have a cloche hat (or any hat for that) to hide the whole shebang under, or any scarves to make wraps or turbans, though scarves I'm looking into getting.
I do have my fringe cut into a bettie bang, but I'm looking for inspiration for the rest of my hair while also keeping it healthy adn heat free.
THanks for any help :)
Shai

lapushka
December 8th, 2017, 03:40 PM
A simple bun, leaving about half of it out, and pincurling around the bun?

Lady Stardust
December 10th, 2017, 11:01 AM
I had a look in the vintage hairstyling book that I've used but can't find anything where the model had hair longer than BSL.

The joy of Bettie Bangs is the instant vintage look, whether you leave the length wavy (like Bettie) or straight. It looks from your profile pic (amazing!) that you have the Veronica Lake/Bettie waves already.

I saw a you tube tutorial years ago where the lady had very long hair but I think her fringe was grown out to about shoulder length, and she used that to make victory rolls, and put the rest back in bunches, so a mix of authentic and modern. I don't know how long hair can be before victory rolls stop being possible?

The same with a French pleat, would your hair be too long for that? Or maybe a snood, depending on whether your hair can be folded up to fit into one!

Sorry that's not much help, I've got short hair so what do I know :-). For what it's worth, if I had hair like yours I'd consider the vintage style "done" already and maybe add a massive flower or a bandana if you want to dress it up (although I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here).

This thread might be useful http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129672

Alysia
December 10th, 2017, 01:55 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15791
This thread has an authentic vintage style that mimics the shingled look with long hair.

lapushka
December 10th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Try the YT channels of torrinpaige or ladollyvita33 / ladollyvita333 - they both sometimes have more vintage-esque styles. torrinpaige = classic and beyond and ladollyvita = about BSL to MBL.