PDA

View Full Version : Glasses and hair?

SallySue
December 7th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Hi y'all,
I'm sure that many of you out there wear glasses, and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issue of getting your front hairs caught in the hinges. What I'm wondering is whether certain types of frames have a tendency to do this more or less.
My current pair (which catches in my hair a lot) are plastic, square-shaped, and slightly large for my face.

Have you glasses-wearing folks noticed any trends with this?

Jo Ann
December 7th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Me. For years, ever since I started wearing them when I was eight years old. It's made no difference the style or material, the very front hairs get caught! Wearing buns has been a HUGE help to keep those hairs from getting trapped, though.

I think there was an O-ring like thing that you slipped over the earpieces and worked into the hinges, but I haven't seen those in ages.

Alysia
December 7th, 2017, 05:13 PM
That’s how I know to trim my bangs! ;) The only real differences I have found is whether the frame curves around the face at all, and whether there are any snaggy details at the temples. I try to avoid that.

Nique1202
December 7th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Whenever I have fringe/bangs, I definitely get that with almost any kind of glasses (I've worn slightly oversized "nerd"/"hipster" glasses down to narrow rectangular frames, they all did it). Also, some frames with metal on the sides that hook a certain way into the plastic earpieces will tear up the hair right above and in front of my ears, I've got a bad case of damage from that growing out. But, wearing hair up and not having a fringe or keeping it well trimmed seems to be the only way to stop it, even just french/dutch/waterfall braiding the front hair back away from the hinges a bit would do the trick.

Shorty89
December 7th, 2017, 06:14 PM
I've had the same problem, but I find it better with plastic framed glasses. I'm not sure why that is though. Thankfully, my bangs and baby hairs are pretty safe with my current plastic frames. The problem is that they are really beat up and I need new frames soon.

Corvana
December 7th, 2017, 06:27 PM
My old glasses would occasionally pull hairs, but the ones I've got now surprisingly haven't! I've pulled a few by grabbing a couple when I go to take my glasses off and not noticing, but that's really the only damage related to my glasses that I've got (and know of).

Chromis
December 7th, 2017, 08:41 PM
I absolutely adore my rimless frames! No hinges! No hair catching!

EdG
December 7th, 2017, 10:10 PM
It is rare that my wire-framed glasses will catch a hair in the hinges. These glasses have enclosed springs that keep the hinges at right angles during normal wear.
Ed

Deborah
December 8th, 2017, 12:40 AM
I have Silhouette rimless frames that have no hinge at all. They are wonderful for not catching any hair.

Beeboo123
December 8th, 2017, 12:44 AM
I have terrible nickel allergies (huge ulcers forming on my face), so I now wear full plastic frames with a plastic nose rest and no hinges. Hair no longer gets caught, which is a huge plus

hypersensitive
December 8th, 2017, 01:39 AM
My hair catches at least once a day. I have big plastic frames and my baby hair always gets caught in the hinge. I never had this problem with any of my older glasses. It must be this particular design that's causing me grief!

embee
December 8th, 2017, 04:41 AM
I have this problem, it's most annoying. Without the glasses I cannot read or drive, so the hair just has to deal. :(

lapushka
December 8th, 2017, 05:10 AM
Hi y'all,
I'm sure that many of you out there wear glasses, and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issue of getting your front hairs caught in the hinges. What I'm wondering is whether certain types of frames have a tendency to do this more or less.
My current pair (which catches in my hair a lot) are plastic, square-shaped, and slightly large for my face.

Have you glasses-wearing folks noticed any trends with this?

Nope, ever since I switched to all one piece glasses (no separate nose pieces), I've been fine. I've had the exact same model of glasses for over a decade. I keep asking for them in the store, and they still have had them each time. I know I have no issues with these. They fit to a T though and are quite small glasses.

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2017, 12:17 PM
Good question! The only problem I've had with my current, metal frames is dropping them as I've taken them off so then getting caught in my hair which was down at the time (before bed ... but multiple times :oops: ) but that's a user fault rather than design problem :lol: I always have wispies so length of hair around my hairline has nothing to do with it. I think the most problems I've had were with glasses with spring hinges, weirdly enough. I've always gone for fairly simple frames though, with perhaps a design on the side but no cutaway bits or anything, and I always have my hair behind my ears - I can't stand having it in my face, so every hair long enough to go up or behind the ears does so. Heh, and in typing that, I've just realised that my glasses-wearing experience is probably very different from anyone who wears their hair down :)

Anje
December 8th, 2017, 12:27 PM
It usually hasn't been a problem for me, which probably has more to do with the fact that I generally wore my hair back without any face-framing bits. In my brief and misguided attempt at bangs, it was more of a problem.

I have found that switching to plastic frames with integrated nosepads was a big plus. When I need to get my glasses out of the way (especially important during that few years when I taught a lab heavy in microscopy, but good whenever I've got the telescope or binoculars out too), I tended to push them up on top of my head, and the nosepads would catch in my hair. If I could even get them out without letting my hair down, it usually required rebunning my hair to re-integrate the sections that got pulled loose.

RedStripe
December 8th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Ha! I was happy to see this thread because this has been a pet peeve of mine since I was a little kid (started wearing glasses when I was in fourth grade).

I am a contact lens wearer now, but I only keep them in for 12 hours a day, so I still need to have glasses on for part of every day. I wear my hair in a bun or braid much of the time, so I am not bothered by this problem too much, but if my hair is loose it seems to get caught right away. Any type of glasses I wear are a hair magnet! Right now I have wire-rimmed glasses that have a little spring in the hinge, and they are deadly. They are ancient and falling apart, though, so I will need to replace them soon.

Fairyxlights
December 8th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Baby hairs and glasses hinges are the bane of my existence :lol: Since I got my new glasses I've not had much trouble with hair snags. They're plastic frames without metal hinges. My previous glasses were plastic with metal hinges and they were a nightmare.

trolleypup
December 8th, 2017, 11:19 PM
I have Silhouette rimless frames that have no hinge at all. They are wonderful for not catching any hair.
Beat me to it.

Although my backup glasses have spring loaded hinges that rarely catch hairs.

Eastbound&Down
December 9th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Crazy, I've worn glasses for years and I have never had this problem. I do keep my hair back out of my face though, so maybe that is why.

Groovy Granny
December 9th, 2017, 02:56 PM
I have titanium wire rims and have no problems

languagenut
December 9th, 2017, 07:56 PM
I've worn glasses since I was a kid, always metal frames with spring hinges (a look I'm kinda bored with tbh, but my mom likes it and she's the one who can see what I look like when I'm trying on frames, lol), and I think I've occasionally had a hair get caught, but not very often. I don't have bangs and in general always try to keep the hair out of my face (tucked behind my ears if it's loose), so I guess it doesn't interact much with the glasses hinges.

Hairkay
December 10th, 2017, 03:05 AM
I currently wear glasses and I haven't had a problem with hair getting caught. I tend to have my hair tied back and or done in plaits/braids. That catches most of the short bits at the front and sides keeping it away from glasses. The shortest finest hairs curl right up close to my scalp.

PixieP
December 10th, 2017, 04:11 AM
I don't have this problem, and I have metal wire frames, and face layers. I think a lot of the clue is a) cheap versus more expensive; cheaper frames are more likely to have bad hinges that hair can get caught in, and b) the frames not being perfectly fitted. I get my, err, siderods? Legs? No idea what to call them. Anyhow, I get them tightened twice a year, takes 2 minutes at the shop, to make sure they fit my face perfectly. My husband just got his glasses and they forgot to tighten them, so his plastic frames gapes a little at the hinge, so I can see hair getting caught there. So if your hinges are gaping when you're wearing your glasses or they feel loose on your ears, I'd recommend getting them tightened. Makes it that much more comfortable to wear too :)

I've worn glasses since I was a kid, always metal frames with spring hinges (a look I'm kinda bored with tbh, but my mom likes it and she's the one who can see what I look like when I'm trying on frames, lol), and I think I've occasionally had a hair get caught, but not very often. I don't have bangs and in general always try to keep the hair out of my face (tucked behind my ears if it's loose), so I guess it doesn't interact much with the glasses hinges.
I take pictures of myself when trying on glasses! I can't see that well what I look like without my own glasses either. So I take selfies and look at them afterwards XD it's also a great way to compare how one pair looks like compared to another, much easier seeing the pictures next to each other than trying to remember.

lapushka
December 10th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I sometimes fall asleep at the table, face forward with my snout on my glasses. Imagine your eye skin (right at the spot where you get crow's feet) getting caught in the hinges of your glasses... yep, happened to me. And it was no easy feat getting the skin to come loose. Ouch; I can still feel it. :shocked:

yogagirl
December 10th, 2017, 10:59 PM
Yes I’ve definitely had that problem! When I looked at the hinge closely, i noticed there was a little metal piece sticking out of the acetate half a millimeter or so. I put a drop of clear nail polish on it and it helped a ton! Just had to reapply every month or so.

Another option I had read on the internet was applying a tiny piece of the clear putty/play doh/wax stuff you can buy at pharmacies for braces. I haven’t tried that yet bc he nail polish worked perfectly for me.