PDA

View Full Version : How is it possible for some people to used heat on their hair daily w/ out damage????

Leighash
December 6th, 2017, 05:19 AM
I mean surely there must be some damage but it isn't visible to the eye or felt when you touch their hair. I know girls who straighten their hair daily and still have shiny, glossy hair!! How Is that possible?

TatsuOni
December 6th, 2017, 05:45 AM
Often it's because the hair is covered in layers of cony hair products.

Beeboo123
December 6th, 2017, 05:48 AM
Keratin treatments? Soft rebonding?

My mom’s hair is terrible, but once she does her goldwell keratin treatment, it feels and looks amazing. When I had rebonded hair, it was so glossy and shiny and glorious to sight and touch, even though it was (technically, at least) damaged.

Also, they probably have naturally straight hair, so it naturally is silky and shiny and does not frizz, and they don’t need to use such high heat (compared to a curly) to get really straight hair. Fine hair also has a lot of shine, and is easier to straighten. I have so many friends with typical fine straight thin Asian hair, and their hair looks so shiny and feels soft even though they abuse it daily

amiraaah
December 6th, 2017, 05:58 AM
i think damage become visible after a long period of time,i used heat on my hair for years and my hair remained shiny and strong.the damage happened lately and i suffered until i decided to cut off heat. the breakage is severe,when you look at my hair you may not see it but if you touched and examined you will notice the white dots,varying lengths and splits.

Aredhel
December 6th, 2017, 06:10 AM
It's easy to mask. I have 1a hair but I used to flat iron it to tame my flyaways. The heavy damage was most certainly there but not visible to anyone unless didn't condition my hair... in fact the damage is still present in my hair from my bleach and flat iron days; the bottom 12 or so inches of my hair... I have to baby those bits specially lest they resemble straw.:)

alimc
December 6th, 2017, 06:28 AM
It will probably show in their inability to grow long hair?
I assume folks who straighten their hair every day probably keep regular haircut appointments...
Idk. I could be wrong.. :hmm:

Jo Ann
December 6th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Those people must have one heck of a shampoo-to-conditioner ratio! I know back when I blow-dried my hair, I went through conditioner like crazy--I'm talking about 2-3 bottles of conditioner per bottle of shampoo :shocked:

Nique1202
December 6th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Yeah, there's no way to use heat on hair daily, or ever, without getting some damage because of the way heat literally breaks the protein in the hair. But, there are a lot of reasons it might look like someone's hair is still healthy for a long time:

-flat irons by nature flatten down the cuticle, making the hair look shiny and feel soft until either exposure to medium-high humidity or until it gets wet
-a lot of people who use flat irons regularly have mostly-straight or just loosely wavy hair, because those textures are less desirable and more unpredictable, so they need to do fewer passes on the hair to make it straighten out
-most of them are using the cheap drugstore products that are typically known for being high in silicones, another reason hair might look shiny and feel soft even though it's damaged underneath, and some even use "heat protectants" for all the good they're likely to do in real-world use
-maybe most importantly: even if a lot of damage accumulates, many people don't start to see significant split ends, white dots, or breakage until they hit the 25-30 inch range, by LHC reckoning, which is longer than most non-longhairs ever grow their hair

And there are probably even more factors I'm not thinking of right now. So, yeah, it can look like the hair is still healthy and shiny, but it's really not.

lapushka
December 6th, 2017, 08:24 AM
I used to crimp my hair in my teens, starting age 15/16 when my bad shedding (+bald patches due to hormonal changes) was over and my texture had changed due to it, anyway, I started crimping because at least *I* had created the poof not my suddenly natural hair (which I thought looked terrible).

It also never grew beyond BSL while I crimped it 2 to 3 times weekly. It never did; not that I minded. I never had to cut it during all that time, it self-cut (broke off).

Nightshade
December 6th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Very generally for people that use heat daily, their hair is fine up until it isn't. Rebonding / treatments / cones can help and mask for a long while, but there will be a point where that no longer works. Their hair isn't 'healthy' up until that point, it's just not to the point of total structural instability. In time, it'll get there, though.

MoonRabbit
December 6th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I heat styled for years, and my hair only looked damaged when it was naturally doing its thing, so I kept using heat to mask the frizzy damage. It's the cycle of heat damage, looks fantastic, looks horrible, hide it with more heat.

Alex Lou
December 6th, 2017, 12:31 PM
About 10 years ago, I used to iron my hair after every wash which was every 3 days. But I would keep the heat turned down and I always kept my hair between shoulder and BSL. It was in good condition! I'd just use whatever shampoo and conditioner were around (probably cone products) but no additional products. I didn't have any breakage. It was soft, shiny, and strong with healthy-looking ends.

For me it was a combination of the shorter length, not practicing other forms of abuse that much (okay I did dye my hair sometimes, but not to lighten the color) and probably my hair's innate strength.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 6th, 2017, 04:18 PM
All of the above, but I think it’s safe to say, it’s probably because these people try to never reach the lengths we do.
If they did the damage would be very obvious.

Mega Moose
December 6th, 2017, 05:13 PM
As a former hair abuser, I can tell you from my experience that I was very into trends, continually cut my hair and it never got even to bsl. I didn't start noticing the damage my habits were doing to my hair until I made the decision to grow it out. Once it got a bit past bsl, it's like the ends would just fizzle out. They got dry and crunchy and brittle and very unattractive. I cut my hair off into a shoulder length lob and ditched the heat, now my hair goes to my belly button and it's fine. :)

Dark40
December 6th, 2017, 06:01 PM
I used to hot-curl my hair daily when I was a teen in high school, and my hair stayed healthy and grew to BSL, and that's the longest it ever gotten. But during these days I don't use hardly any heat on my hair. I let my hair air dry up to 100% dry. Then, I only use the blow-dryer on it for 5 minutes everyday or 3 times a week. It is impossible to not have damage after using any heat on the hair daily.

leayellena
December 7th, 2017, 01:00 AM
All of the above, but I think it’s safe to say, it’s probably because these people try to never reach the lengths we do.
If they did the damage would be very obvious.

I heat styled for years, and my hair only looked damaged when it was naturally doing its thing, so I kept using heat to mask the frizzy damage. It's the cycle of heat damage, looks fantastic, looks horrible, hide it with more heat.

Hah! Exactly!
Besides the overpancaked braids hide how much thinner their hair actually is. Yes, they have probably good genetics and damaging a few strands may not be a Problem but they really pancake their hair to death. I tried it. Yes it looks big with pancake method but seriously... I feel like I lie to myself, like trying to fool people around me and I am definitely not a liar!

lapushka
December 7th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Hah! Exactly!
Besides the overpancaked braids hide how much thinner their hair actually is. Yes, they have probably good genetics and damaging a few strands may not be a Problem but they really pancake their hair to death. I tried it. Yes it looks big with pancake method but seriously... I feel like I lie to myself, like trying to fool people around me and I am definitely not a liar!

I went through a lot of damage in my life, and my hair never looked "bad"; yes there may have been intrinsic damage and to the naked eye it might not have looked its best but it's not just "rubbish" hair that needs to be tossed away and not cared about.

Chromis
December 7th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Most of my friends who use heat go through cycles of growing and cutting once it gets too damaged or the next trend comes up. All of them bemoan how damaged their hair is btw! (Not as a slam on them, just to point out that they do notice it themselves, so this is not a case of the grass being greener on the other side.) Ditto for friends who do a lot of bleaching. The damage is basically part of the style a lot of the time. I am pretty sure this is how the styles that have jagged hemlines or feathering or whatever get so popular. (Like chunky jagged on purpose styles. I am sure they have a proper name!)

It's their choice and they just have different goals, no big deal! I couldn't do that and grow to these lengths but then again, they couldn't even imagine wanting to grow to mine. If we were to look at a mirror board for people who love trendy hair, they would likely be wondering why so many of us never "have fun with our hair" :laugh: To each their own! It would be boring if we were all the same. (I mean, *I* find my hair super fun, but you guys know what I mean!)

Not everyone actually cares that much about the damage. For many, they use heat and such until their hair is at the point where it starts breaking off. That becomes their new hemline or they just start over, but most people are know are not really bothered by this. Usually that is about the point when they are bored with their hair anyhow and looking for a change.

lapushka
December 7th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Most of my friends who use heat go through cycles of growing and cutting once it gets too damaged or the next trend comes up. All of them bemoan how damaged their hair is btw! (Not as a slam on them, just to point out that they do notice it themselves, so this is not a case of the grass being greener on the other side.) Ditto for friends who do a lot of bleaching. The damage is basically part of the style a lot of the time. I am pretty sure this is how the styles that have jagged hemlines or feathering or whatever get so popular. (Like chunky jagged on purpose styles. I am sure they have a proper name!)

That's exactly how my hair broke-off at the end, like tapered on purpose at a short length. Really odd, but it suited the style so I wasn't complaining, *and* I didn't need to bother with the hair dresser! Bonus. Ah, as a teenager you think you know it all. Honestly, if I could go back and shake some sense into me. LOL. I would have done a few things differently and not with my hair alone! I was a good student. I would have finished my Latin studies (I was good at it, all A's) instead of switching to Economics/Maths and later Languages like I did. My life would most certainly have looked differently!

Chromis
December 7th, 2017, 02:46 PM
That's exactly how my hair broke-off at the end, like tapered on purpose at a short length. Really odd, but it suited the style so I wasn't complaining, *and* I didn't need to bother with the hair dresser! Bonus. Ah, as a teenager you think you know it all. Honestly, if I could go back and shake some sense into me. LOL. I would have done a few things differently and not with my hair alone! I was a good student. I would have finished my Latin studies (I was good at it, all A's) instead of switching to Economics/Maths and later Languages like I did. My life would most certainly have looked differently!

Oh, I don't know, as a teen that makes sense! Cheaper and stylish, winning! Again, just depends what look you were going for.

It isn't like you'd have any of that hair left now anyhow. I sure wouldn't still have my teenage ends even if I hadn't had the whole cancer thing! I didn't even do any of that stuff, I just brushed mine roughly and wore it in a pony all the time and had tons of damage. The knowledge of how to handle it better might not have helped teen me anyhow since I was not the one in charge of my hair really. My mother always put it in curlers for formal things regardless of how much I hated them and ditto with hacking at it with the thinning shears.

Then again, I also didn't really know how damaged it was. I was only annoyed that it was always so "frizzy" and that I had such awful tangles. I don't get the tangles now, but I do still have a bit of frizz :D

leayellena
December 8th, 2017, 12:27 AM
I went through a lot of damage in my life, and my hair never looked "bad"; yes there may have been intrinsic damage and to the naked eye it might not have looked its best but it's not just "rubbish" hair that needs to be tossed away and not cared about.

exactly the reason why I searched the whole internet for a diy trim that doesn't look like a fail or an expert's styling. I am and will be forever grateful to emi longhairedatheart.

It's their choice and they just have different goals, no big deal! I couldn't do that and grow to these lengths but then again, they couldn't even imagine wanting to grow to mine. If we were to look at a mirror board for people who love trendy hair, they would likely be wondering why so many of us never "have fun with our hair" :laugh: To each their own! It would be boring if we were all the same. (I mean, *I* find my hair super fun, but you guys know what I mean!)

Not everyone actually cares that much about the damage. For many, they use heat and such until their hair is at the point where it starts breaking off. That becomes their new hemline or they just start over, but most people are know are not really bothered by this. Usually that is about the point when they are bored with their hair anyhow and looking for a change.

ah! the "I am bored with my hair" every two months! :rant::brickwall

Crystawni
December 8th, 2017, 02:46 AM
Before LHC, I would wash (scalp and length shampoo followed by conditioner) and blowdry my hair on III (hot) daily or thereabouts. And sometimes I'd straighten it, or curl it, or crimp it with heat. But I'd also trim my hair into a fresh style due to boredom every 4-6 or so months. It's all virgin and low-porous, so that may've factored into the lack of discernible damage. Dunno, but it seems resilient enough? ETA: all of my action and length pics include that heat-blasted pre-LHC hair, even now (just lower down than in 2014...). :p

When I was a teen and young adult I permed, bleached and coloured it along with the previously mentioned routine, and it didn't fare nearly as well. Dry, crunchy frizz... oh yeah.

lapushka
December 8th, 2017, 05:19 AM
When I was a teen and young adult I permed, bleached and coloured it along with the previously mentioned routine, and it didn't fare nearly as well. Dry, crunchy frizz... oh yeah.

OMG, it's like we were all one teenager. :lol: ;)

yahirwaO.o
December 8th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Well I have sort of ambivalent thoughts about this.

I know a cousin who has straightened her hair every single day since she was 12 now on her 18 years, certainly she has some damage but it looks good and her ends look fairly ok. She does trim a lot and yet she is able to grow shoulder to sort of waist within 3 years. I guess women in her teens have pretty resilient hair. In my opinion its the combination of bleaching and heat styling when hair stars looking severely fried.

My mom has been also been flat ironing and curling, pretty much everyday for more than a decade. Her natural curls were pretty but she has always had dry hair issues. She is pretty much into trends and feels more put together when she does her whole beauty ritual, somehow if she reveals now her natural extremey frizzy lost curls , it does look quite edgy and stylish. I've been helping her with mask, treatments and such, she likes the results however she is not that constant with those because pure laziness. I do cringe as a hair lover for what she does, still I love her and she has the right to do whatever to feel pretty, confident and yeah ladylike in her perspective. :) So i just help when she ask me for some of it.

For myself, I did straightened my hair in my emo teen years and it never really look bad since it was fairly short and was constantly thinned out, razored and cut pretty much every month to keep the swoopy bangs and the general shape. When I grow it out for the first time I stopped flat ironing and begin experiementing with dyes and to my surprise, my hair started to look bad. I realize then it's the way my hair natural grows with flippy bits and how previous heat damage shows after some inches of growing.

I like my natural straight hair, but it does look poofy, frizzy sometimes and to some ignorant comments yeah quite damage even its all virgin and heat free. It can be tamed with oil and some product but iit can also look quite weight down-flat. I do like to play with straightners sometimes and adore the way my hair feels and looks, so im willing to do it when I get me some and more new lenght everynow and then ;), still I try my best to embrace my natural hair as much as I can and very necesary while im growing.

So yeah even natural hair can be all virgin, free it can look quite untammed and heat styled hair can look healthy even its not!!! :)

FuzzyBlackWaves
December 8th, 2017, 01:17 PM
When I straightened it once a week my hair looked ok. It'd look like trash next to my hair now but it seemed alright at the time. However it just wouldn't grow past BSL so the length might have meant that the damage was continually being broken or cut off before it got too awful.

lapushka
December 8th, 2017, 03:44 PM
When I straightened it once a week my hair looked ok. It'd look like trash next to my hair now but it seemed alright at the time. However it just wouldn't grow past BSL so the length might have meant that the damage was continually being broken or cut off before it got too awful.

Same for me, mine also never grew past BSL. It just cut itself off at some point, so I had barely any growth... if at all.

Alex Lou
December 8th, 2017, 06:29 PM
In my opinion its the combination of bleaching and heat styling when hair stars looking severely fried.
Agreed. My hair is far worse now with bleach damage than it ever was with regular ironing.