PDA

View Full Version : Natural remedies for a dry scalp?😊

BrunetteOcean
December 6th, 2017, 03:03 AM
Hi guys! Just wondering if anyone could give me a little bit of advice☺️
I've always suffered with a dry scalp, it's really quite annoying it always gets worse at winter time in my opinion, so I thought I'd ask all of you if you knew any natural ways I can get rid of it! Is there any oils I can massage into my scalp to get rid of it or anything similar? Thanks!!

amiraaah
December 6th, 2017, 04:37 AM
Hello,I used to have very dry scalp too the skin on my scalp fell :(because of the dryness.when I shifted to sulphate free shampoo I went to the extreme and my scalp got oily.i went to the doctor and her advice was to keep my sulphate free shampoo and wash with it but every two weeks use the sulphate shampoo and this really helped.
For the remedy I don't recommend using oil on the scalp,first because it cause hair loss even if your scalp is oil friendly and second your scalp will attract dirt and third because you will need too much shampoo to wash it which will increase the dryness of your scalp again.what I recommend as a remedy which worked for me at least is yogurt with fenugreek seeds(if you don't have the seeds,it's okay use yogurt alone) I massaged it on my scalp and left it for an hour and washed.this worked for me,it may not work for you but give it a try:) and good luck :blossom:

TatsuOni
December 6th, 2017, 05:48 AM
The things that have helped me are:

CO-washing.

A combination of fermented rice water and green tea before wash.

Coconut oil. (I wash it out with conditioner).

Honey.

Aloe Vera.

This is what's helped me and some of it may or may not work for you :)

ReptilianFeline
December 6th, 2017, 08:14 AM
This interests me as well. I'm still trying out things, but so far, getting rid of shampoo and conditioner seems to be the way to go for me... I have some rice water fermenting... I'll see how that is.
Do you apply it to your scalp as a pre-wash?

lapushka
December 6th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Sweet almond oil is great for dry skin (our internist recommended it years ago, underneath moisturizer for my face). It should do well on the scalp also.

Mind you, there are people who cannot tolerate oils (and don't overdo it a number of drops spread out with pads of fingers will do) on the scalp and it will make them shed more. If you notice that, stop doing that straight away.

Also second going sulfate-free or trying a CO-wash (but conditioner on the scalp can have the same effect as oil on the scalp: more shedding).

So pay attention! :)

Good luck!

And if you try things, try *one* thing at a time, or you won't know what it is that works the best / well for you out of all that you're about to do.

BrunetteOcean
December 6th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the ideas ladies! I already use a sulphate free shampoo and I did not know oils cause more shedding! I'll keep that in mind�� And also how do you go about co washing? Would it make my hair greasy?

triumphator!
December 6th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Have you tried a diluted vinegar rinse? Sometimes a little acidity will help reboot the scalp skin, so that all the yummy moisturizing stuff that passes by gets a chance to sink in.

There is a CO washing thread, let me find you the link...

luvlonghair75
December 6th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Don't over use the oil, no matter how light the oil is. Once a month should be enough but sometimes every 2 weeks is needed in the winter months.

BrunetteOcean
December 6th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Have you tried a diluted vinegar rinse? Sometimes a little acidity will help reboot the scalp skin, so that all the yummy moisturizing stuff that passes by gets a chance to sink in.

There is a CO washing thread, let me find you the link...

I have not tried it, but it's sounds great I'll definitely give it a go! And thank you!!

lithostoic
December 6th, 2017, 09:55 AM
I use coconut oil overnight, shampoo it out really well, and deep condition. I'm actually doing this today :P I really need lotion for my body.

TatsuOni
December 6th, 2017, 11:42 AM
This interests me as well. I'm still trying out things, but so far, getting rid of shampoo and conditioner seems to be the way to go for me... I have some rice water fermenting... I'll see how that is.
Do you apply it to your scalp as a pre-wash?

I dip my hair in it and pour the rest over my scalp, making sure that I get it in all of my hair and scalp. Then I put a towel on my head so that it doesn't drip. Let sit for around one hour and then wash as usual.

I mix in some green tea (and some other stuff) in it too. I brew strong tea, let it cool under a lid and then mix it with the fermented rice water. So it's around 50% FRW and 50% tea. This helps my scalp more than just the FRW alone :)

Dark40
December 6th, 2017, 12:21 PM
The best thing that helped me with a dry scalp is hot oil treatments every 2 weeks. You can use any type of oil out there for hot oil treatments. You can use Vitamin E oil, Tea Tree Oil, and Carrot Oil, and Kimee Oil. I also use one other hair grease as a hot oil treatment as well, and that is TCB Naturals Hair & Scalp Conditioner.

Ligeia Noire
December 7th, 2017, 09:02 PM
I have that problem and sls shampoos make it worse, the only thing that seems to help is argan oil before washing on the scalp and to drink more water.

Chromis
December 7th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I have used a number of different oil blends and actually oil after every wash. Just a couple of drops on my fingertips massaged gently at the front hairline since that is always driest. I oi the next couple of days after that as well. I oil my length too, but use a few more drops for that. I have to be very sparing not to get an oil slick look (esp since I don't oil my whole scalp, so it would only be a patch!)

Reyn127
December 8th, 2017, 12:06 PM
For me, aloe vera is the absolute best thing. My skin (and hair) just soaks it up! I would recommend using fresh aloe, not one from a tube or a bottle unless the ingredients are very minimal, like literally just aloe, maybe water, citric acid, mayyyybe a stabilizer, and mayyyyybe a preservative, if you don't mind it. You may want to just research the ingredients, because I've read that the preservative they typically put into aloe vera is ALSO a known skin irritant, and one of the members here in another thread (Ophidian I believe) actually had a slight reaction to it. So I would try to find the fresh leaf, and then just scrape out and blend the inside, and use the goop on your scalp. I usually add water to make it go further. Then rinse it out. You can freeze what you don't use in ice cubes.

Second to aloe, I would also recommend some oils. I use either jojoba (which is very light and very similar to human's own sweat/oil), or almond oil (which works really nicely but is a little heavier). I use a total of 4-5 drops on my entire scalp, right after I wash my hair and have squeezed the water out. I only use 1 or 2 drops per "area" so I can make sure it's mostly evenly distributed.

Jo Ann
December 8th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the ideas ladies! I already use a sulphate free shampoo and I did not know oils cause more shedding! I'll keep that in mind�� And also how do you go about co washing? Would it make my hair greasy?
I went non-SLS (sulphate-free), for the most part, about four months ago. I checked out some threads here (don't ask me which ones!) about going sulphate-free and found some people had itchies after they had used their shampoo for a while. One thing that helped me was washing with a SLS shampoo once/month (I wash weekly) and using my non-SLS shampoo the other times I washed. That routine really keeps the itchies down for me! :) I would suggest using either a clarifying shampoo or a SLS shampoo next time you wash your hair--that should get any build-up off your scalp (and the rest of your hair) then go back to your usual routine; just remember to clarify or use a SLS shampoo once in a while.

I also WCC (wash, condition, condition) and use my first conditioner from root-to-tip, but my second one from the ears down. That might help, too.

sophia johnson
April 28th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Indication of a dry scalp is tireless irritation, however it might likewise be joined by dandruff, soreness, and balding. A few answers for at-home treatment you can attempt to handle your dry scalp are :

Coconut oil
Coconut oil has for some time been utilized for its skin medical advantages, and dry scalp is no special case. It can saturate the scalp, and it's enemy of contagious and antibacterial properties can help diminish irritation

Aloe vera
Aloe vera has various properties that can help with dry scalp. It has calming properties that can help decrease skin aggravation, and it's additionally a successful saturating operator.

Yogurt and egg
Yogurt is calming on the skin and can likewise be peeling, while the fat and protein content in eggs can sustain and shield the scalp from dryness

lapushka
April 28th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Indication of a dry scalp is tireless irritation, however it might likewise be joined by dandruff, soreness, and balding. A few answers for at-home treatment you can attempt to handle your dry scalp are :

Coconut oil
Coconut oil has for some time been utilized for its skin medical advantages, and dry scalp is no special case. It can saturate the scalp, and it's enemy of contagious and antibacterial properties can help diminish irritation

Aloe vera
Aloe vera has various properties that can help with dry scalp. It has calming properties that can help decrease skin aggravation, and it's additionally a successful saturating operator.

Yogurt and egg
Yogurt is calming on the skin and can likewise be peeling, while the fat and protein content in eggs can sustain and shield the scalp from dryness

Welcome to the forum, sophia. :)