PDA

View Full Version : Bad hair dye job - help!!!!

Blondieee
December 5th, 2017, 02:53 PM
My mom just got her hair dyed with Shades EQ. She shampooed before she went to the salon, the stylist shampooed it. She got home and it smells absolutely horrible. I've had Shades EQ on my hair several times and while it smelled while being applied, it never smelled after it had been rinsed out. Her hair smells BAD. She shampooed it again after she got in. It still smells really bad. Everywhere she walks, it's leaving a smell. It's making me and her both feel like we're going to throw up.

She wants to shampoo again but the stylist put the dye in foils at the top to keep it off her scalp and she had hair loss from it. There's a big bald patch on her hair and breakage. So we don't know if she'll have more hair loss if she shampoos for the 4th time today. But this just smells BAD! Please help!

Definitely scared to use Shades EQ now. Don't know if this stylist is inexperienced or what.

MidnightMoon
December 5th, 2017, 03:01 PM
If she feels there's some residue of a potentially harmful product on her hair (don't know this specific brand, or name, sorry), or is just bothered by the smell, then yes, wash it again. Hair that's already in shape bad enough to fall just from shampooing will just fall the next time you intended to shampoo, so no point in postponing it. You can put some conditioner and oils once it's clean.

Jo Ann
December 5th, 2017, 06:26 PM
I would CO wash, then condition condition condition--and then head BACK to the salon and ask the *ahem!* stylist just what the Hades else she used on Mom's hair and show her Mom's damage! To my mind, a refund would be in order!

Babyfine
December 5th, 2017, 08:45 PM
I agree with Jo Ann that I would definitely contact the stylist.
I have had my hair colored regularly with Redken Shades EQ since 2006, in a brunette color, and have never had an adverse reaction.
Shades is a demi-permanent salon color that is supposedly quite gentle. ( Which is why I use it rather than permanent color)
Your mom's adverse reaction does not sound normal, I would do as Jo Ann suggested, and then contact the stylist. Maybe an allergic reaction? Shades EQ does have PPD.

lapushka
December 6th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Yeah, you can't fix this unless to give it some TLC.

Go back to the stylist and demand an explanation, a possible fix or/and a refund.

LadyCelestina
December 6th, 2017, 08:54 AM
If her hair is porous it's going to smell bad, but it's just a smell. Don't freakout. I had a friend with hair that used to smell after dye for a long time, even if it has been washed. Especially while wet.

Blondieee
December 11th, 2017, 01:33 AM
Thanks everyone! It wasn't a PPD reaction. We figured out that the smell was a combination of the hair dye and the very strong perfumy products that the stylist used. I noticed when she did my hair and I didn't even have any color done, she used so many products that my hair smelled bad. Not like the smell coming from my mom's hair but still bad. She might have used different products on my mom or the same products combined with the dye created that smell maybe? But the smell went away after a couple hours. We still can't figure out for sure if her hair loss was related to the dye job or not. Because she's been losing hair lately. I'm guessing because her ferritin is 30. So we're not sure if she had additional hair loss from the dye job or if it's the same hair loss she's been having and the shampoo and foils made it worse possibly. Because the hair stylist kept saying how she sheds a lot and holding up hair.

Blondieee
December 11th, 2017, 01:35 AM
Babyfine, would you mind posting here or sending me a pm of how your hair looks with the brunette color? And do you know what shade number you get on your hair? I'm wanting to dye my hair a pretty dark brown and I'm not sure what shade would look the best.

lapushka
December 11th, 2017, 04:38 AM
Is your mom going to the doctor for her low ferritin? Good luck to her. Then yes I think you can hardly blame the stylist. If your health isn't 100% and you are having services done, there are far greater risks of things like this happening.

I am glad you have given up bleach for a dye. :flower:

Maybe take a picture to the stylist and ask her? Because if you're fair, and you are going brown and not using a box dye but a haircolor from a beauty supply store, you are going to need a red filler (or it's gonna turn green).

acanofyams
December 11th, 2017, 09:33 AM
So weird! I'm a hair colorist and I use Shades EQ a lot and never had an issue with smell. Maybe the hairdresser use an expired color on her?
Anyway you can use a clarifying shampoo and let it sit for 5/10 minutes, followed with a nice deep conditioning treatment. Just so you know though the clarifying shampoo will strip out some of the color. There are a lot of good smelling styling products around, you could use some to mask the smell.

Rhoward
December 11th, 2017, 02:08 PM
I agree with Jo Ann that I would definitely contact the stylist.
I have had my hair colored regularly with Redken Shades EQ since 2006, in a brunette color, and have never had an adverse reaction.
Shades is a demi-permanent salon color that is supposedly quite gentle. ( Which is why I use it rather than permanent color)
Your mom's adverse reaction does not sound normal, I would do as Jo Ann suggested, and then contact the stylist. Maybe an allergic reaction? Shades EQ does have PPD.

I agree with this, Shades is a Demi range and designed to be gentle, if your mother has breakage then I would have to assume there is another issue at play.

And Blondee if you want a dark brown I'd suggest a demi in a level 5N or even 5G if you want some gold reflect, if that's not dark enough for you then next time you could go for a level 4, better to start lighter, you can always go darker. Seeing pictures of how someone else's hair turned out with a particular shade is not going to be a true indication of how your hair will turn out, everyones hair reacts differently.