PDA

View Full Version : Since 2009

pittsburgpam
December 3rd, 2017, 09:57 PM
I joined LHC in 2009. My fair was barely waist length but ragged and tapered. Mostly what I learned here is to leave it alone! I don't blow dry or flat iron, only wash it once per week, use argan and coconut oil, and treat it gently. Kept it trimmed all these years, keeping the ends neat and evening it all up. It's about at my knees and may be getting close to getting it all cut off and styled in some way. I'm 54 years old and I'm just not sure if it's weighing me down and making me look older. Maybe getting it colored is in order too. Feel like it's just getting old and dated.

http://i64.tinypic.com/20syal4.png

Groovy Granny
December 3rd, 2017, 10:05 PM
Oh my gosh...it is gorgeous :thud:

I would suggest doing small snips up to the next landmark (one at a time) to see how it looks and feels... rather than just going for a short cut all at once :hmm:

Maybe adding some layers would change the look and feel as well!

If you color you will end up in the maintenance/grow out trap :tmi:....perhaps just some high/low lights and allow your natural silver to come in ....free highlights ;)

Good luck ~ please post updates :popcorn:

pittsburgpam
December 3rd, 2017, 10:14 PM
Yeah, grow-out would be a pain! I'll look into it. I do like the pure white stripe I have in the front. Maybe I could get it almost all dyed a rich, sable brown but have low lights done on the top for grow-out.

Deborah
December 4th, 2017, 12:06 AM
I agree. Snip back to classic and see if that feels nice and fresh. Only then go shorter if you still have the itch.

By the way, 54 is nothing! I have ten years on you and never worry about hair length and age. If I live to be really old I figure I'll be a really old lady with nice long hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 4th, 2017, 01:55 AM
Gosh, don't worry about being 54! I'm not far behind you and am certainly going to keep my hair at knee and maybe longer :p

But if you truly want a change, just try trimming two or three inches, and see how you like that. You can do some small cuts, gradually until you are happy with the length, but if you go suddenly short and find that you don't like it, well then you're stuck with it. Just go little by little until you reach a happy length for you.

What gorgeous hair you have! If it were mine I wouldn't be cutting it - but that's just me :laugh:

Crystawni
December 4th, 2017, 04:13 AM
All I can say is WOW! :thud: It's a work of art. Oh, and there's no age limit on hair length, nor how you enjoy it (coloured, virgin, up, down, etc.). I'm just a couple of years behind you, too, and plan to keep on keeping on with length, colour transition (pigment loss and silvery bling) and changing up my hairstyles (my boho face framers act as style softeners) and hairtoys. Whatever you do, do it because you really, really want to.

lapushka
December 4th, 2017, 04:45 AM
I can't see a picture. Pity.

Photobucket is asking big bucks now if you want to link your images to a site. You might want to try imgur for instance.

embee
December 4th, 2017, 04:59 AM
I can't see the picture either. But 54 is nothing. I've got a good 20 years on you. :)

Too bad you're not enjoying your hair. that it's weighing you down. Mine would not grow that long.

pittsburgpam
December 4th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Sorry about the picture. I moved it to another host.

lapushka
December 4th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Sorry about the picture. I moved it to another host.

I can see it now; that is pretty impressive! You've got a gorgeous head of hair. Wondering if I'll ever get to knee (doubt it, it still has to be comfortable as I have a disability to contend with and my hair is not that easy to wash on wash day as it is).

NightSister
December 4th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Really beautiful, both your hair and your commitment to keeping it so lovely. I agree with Sarahlabyrinth. Sometimes a little trim is all it takes. And if that doesn't help, maybe some new toys :)

CindyOfTheOaks
December 4th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Yes, now that I can see your pics too - WOW !
Quite impressive !
I wouldn't cut it all off...if you are 'bored' with it maybe just change the hem shape a little for a while ?

bparnell75
December 4th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Pittsburgpam, Your hair is wonderful! Dated?? I am 75 and I wear my hair up high like a badge of honor. I see my self as elegant because of my hair. Please do not do any thing that will make you part of the oldie/shortie crowd. There are many elegant up dos you can make

Waveurly
December 4th, 2017, 10:31 AM
I love your hair! It's beautiful and special! I'm not near your age (29), but always think that it's so beautiful to have longer lengths at an older age. I'd change 'outdated' to the perspective of looking wise and elegant. As already mentioned, you can always just cut a small bit of hair and sometimes this can already feel refreshing, it doesn't have to be something drastic! Drastic usually leads to regret later on, because it's harder to grow it back than to cut it.
Anyway, when seeing older ladies with really short hair, I always feel a bit sad because it's like there is no variety and as if everyone is doing the same thing. But the hair of each and every person is unique and special. Ofcourse everyone should choose for themselves, but I do think longer hair is special!

kittengirl
December 4th, 2017, 10:53 AM
So beautiful! I sometimes want to cut (mine just hit waist, but I had a baby and am shedding a ton so I get restless with it) so I bought it some new things lol. I also think your color is lovely! Very inspiring!

yahirwaO.o
December 4th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Your hair is indeed uterly gergeous!!!!!! I also suggest if u want a little change to trim some inches and see how you feel from there.

Now I don´t see anything wrong with your current lenght, so I say do what what you actually want to do!!!

Guitargod
December 4th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Yes, now that I can see your pics too - WOW !
Quite impressive !
I wouldn't cut it all off...if you are 'bored' with it maybe just change the hem shape a little for a while ?
This was exactly my thinking too if you want to try something new. Let it grow into a V and aim for the ankles :)

Cg
December 4th, 2017, 12:08 PM
If you mean "dated" in the sense that you've had long hair for several years, okay. But if you mean it makes you look older or out of fashion, that's just false. The only thing that makes us look older is being older.

As others have mentioned, long hair looks elegant and classy in buns. Certainly more interesting than a carbon copy of the cut/permed/dyed bubble many older women feel obligated to adopt.

If you'll be happy basing your decision on someone else's opinion, snip away. But if you just want a bit of variety, how about some pretty hair toys and a few new bun styles?

Your hair is beautiful as it is! I wish you hair happiness whatever your decision.

pittsburgpam
December 4th, 2017, 12:26 PM
I'll try dying it first. My daughter is sending me the info on who she uses. Just go to my natural color, get rid of the old henna on the ends, hopefully. I want it blended into the grey growing in, maybe some really long highlights. Know that dying over henna can have unforeseen results but I've done it before. It always fades out anyway and back to a reddish color on the last few feet. This is my natural color near my neck. Don't know if anyone can reproduce that throughout. I don't mind the grey at all, just silver highlights.

http://i66.tinypic.com/243lw5t.jpg

Corvana
December 4th, 2017, 12:44 PM
WOW! Your hair and color are gorgeous!! You might be able to find someone who can do something to blend everything, if that's what you'd like. It probably would only be a bit temporary on the henna, but you obviously know that! So I'll just wish you good luck and swoon at your photos a little longer ;)

Jo Ann
December 4th, 2017, 01:40 PM
*picks jaw up off floor--dusts off chin*

Oh. My. Word! That is truly some awesome hair, Pittsburgpam! If you TRULY have to cut, tweak the hemline--go for a V-shape. If the V-shape doesn't work out, you can trim it back up to a U-shape or a blunt shape without sacrificing a lot of length.

Instead of doing lowlights, why not bring some of the silver "down" and use your basic color as the lowlights? You've got some serious Renegrey awesomeness going on and I can only shudder at what damage can be done by going back into the "dye trap" as GG so eloquently put it. Whatever you choose to do, may you be happy with your glorious mane! Most times, the least damage is the best way to go.

CindyOfTheOaks
December 4th, 2017, 04:27 PM
I'll try dying it first. My daughter is sending me the info on who she uses. Just go to my natural color, get rid of the old henna on the ends, hopefully. I want it blended into the grey growing in, maybe some really long highlights. Know that dying over henna can have unforeseen results but I've done it before. It always fades out anyway and back to a reddish color on the last few feet. This is my natural color near my neck. Don't know if anyone can reproduce that throughout. I don't mind the grey at all, just silver highlights.

Ohhhh ! Your hair color is stunning ! Beautiful !!

pittsburgpam
December 4th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Thank you. I think it's got grey, blonde, brown, and red all at once in it. I think dye it all light brown and then do blonde/white highlights all the way down to match what it naturally is? Then hopefully it can grow out and still blend in. Oddly, the grey is kind of in stripes, as you can tell at the top.

Carolyn
December 4th, 2017, 04:58 PM
I will tell you from experience that growing out dye is a pain in the butt and it takes forever. Shorter hair can also be a pain. You will lose all the wonderful long styles you can do now. You will be putting yourself at the mercy of hair stylists. You will be going to the salon often for trims and color touch ups. It's a major pain and it's expensive. Do you really want to give up your gorgeous long hair for that?

Jo Ann
December 4th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Thank you. I think it's got grey, blonde, brown, and red all at once in it. I think dye it all light brown and then do blonde/white highlights all the way down to match what it naturally is? Then hopefully it can grow out and still blend in. Oddly, the grey is kind of in stripes, as you can tell at the top.
That's the nature of the beast, PP--that's how mine's growing in. Come to think of it, that's how it's been growing in for a while, but God Forbid anyone (especially my boys, considering they're taller than I am) tell me just how much snow is on the roof! :shocked:

Crystawni
December 4th, 2017, 05:16 PM

Sounds like mine--all the colours, with stripes to keep things even more interesting. It's near impossible to blend artificially (the prisms of light your hair has just can't be competed with). Often any blending just makes things look dull, and the upkeep is nuts. If you have to, maybe layer the ends lightly to mix it up and get rid of most of the henna until it grows/is trimmed out?

rapunzelna
December 4th, 2017, 06:22 PM
I felt the same way and at age 55 cut my bcl hair to my shoulders. Instant regret and I’ve spent the last four years growing it back. I don’t think about my age. You have to be happy with your hair but I wouldn’t recommend doing what I did. If you feel the need to go shorter if you are not 100% sure start slow.

I think your hair looks marvelous.

Jo Ann
December 4th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Rapunzelna, quick question, if you don't mind: Is your hair teal-colored in your avatar or is that from the lighting? Either way, it's very pretty!

melikai
December 8th, 2017, 09:03 AM
You have stunning hair. I think long hair on older women is regal and beautiful and awesome. As others have said, I'd just trim it back gradually and see how you feel at each length.
I'm younger than you, but I had nearly tailbone length hair and cut it back to shoulder. I liked the difference at first, but soon wanted my long hair back. I'm almost back to the same length now, but wish I'd never cut because I want it much longer and would be there now if I hadn't!

Gem
December 8th, 2017, 03:21 PM

OMG your color is gorgeous :thudpile:
With that color, honestly any length that flatters you is going to look great. But what do you like? At what length can you do the styles that you enjoy? Because with your color and flattering styles, it isn't going to look dated at any length.

About dyeing, the grow-out can be really hard until your natural color is over your crown, and I've heard the same thing about going grey (my silvers are sparse yet, so I haven't experienced that). But you're already there. Dyeing will start the process again, no matter how well they blend it.

A few years ago I was feeling really frumpy. I cut my TBL hair into a very short pixie and dyed it blue. I don't regret it, but for me, the time for chopping is done. My granny is my inspiration for graceful long hair as I get older, or rather, my anti-inspiration. When I was 20 (which would have made her 60), I visited her after I had dyed my waistlength hair purple. She tried to convince me that her short blonde hair with fashionable chunky highlights was natural.
(No, Granny. Just, no. You know I've seen you before, right?)
It looked good on her, but her attitude was what I truly want to avoid.
Though to her credit, she didn't listen to me about dyeing her hair pink :lol: Teal would have been good on her though.
This digression is all to tell you that looking dated has less to do with your style than how you wear it. Whatever makes you feel awesome will more than likely be what makes you look awesome.

2gaits
December 8th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Your color is amazing and gorgeous. I definitely wouldn't go into a vicious dye circle and damage that hair. Maybe trim out the old color on the hem. A few face framing pieces might give you something to play with and style differently.

Lizabeth94
December 9th, 2017, 10:15 PM
It looks gorgeous, maybe just try a small trim at a time until you feel like its new and fresh! Or maybe try a different shaped hemline! Don't let your age stop you, a few weeks ago I saw an older lady, probably in her 60's, with a knee length silver braid. It looked amazing! :thud: The only think that struck me funny was she secured it with a scrunchy, I don't see many scrunchies, although i suppose it is much less damaging than a standard elastic.

rapunzelna
December 11th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Thank you for your kind words. It’s slightly lighter than the pic in real life but nit significantly different