PDA

View Full Version : Knee length and longer LHCers -

Sarahlabyrinth
December 2nd, 2017, 03:19 AM
Do you wear your hair loose in public much? Or ever? Do you like to "wow" people with the length of your hair, or is it something just for yourself? :)

If I was to wear mine loose, it would have to be freshly washed, a sunny day, not too hot/cold/windy plus I would need to be actually going out. These things rarely, if ever, coincide.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2017, 07:50 AM
I don't even wear my hair out - ever, and it's just between TBL & classic. At classic, when I reached it and a bit beyond, I didn't either. Afraid for contact with other people and little kids (and lice). No thank you. I'll keep it contained.

Cg
December 2nd, 2017, 08:13 AM
When I was young and had nearly knee length hair I wore it down all the time, mainly because there were not enough bobby pins on earth to keep it bunned (it used to be very thick). I wouldn't even consider that now. I don't like hair in my face.

Chromis
December 2nd, 2017, 08:34 AM
I wear mine up all the time in general, but I do like wowing people now and then. Often people like to tell others about how cool my hair is during social things, which leads to me being asked to show it to the group. Half the time they saw it in the first place if I was redoing it or in the evening since I tend to just start braiding it if it gets late and it is like a casual movie night or such so I won't have to stay up even longer or around the campfire when camping.

I must admit, it is pretty flattering! I think LHC meets have been the times I have worn it down for more than short periods. I don't like it getting tangled, especially if there is wind. It does behave a lot better for me at this length since I can set it in my lap neatly when I sit down and it is not in my face so much either, but I actually really enjoy wearing it up and that is a large reason I like to grow it! More fun hairtoys for me :laugh:

Ligeia Noire
December 2nd, 2017, 05:27 PM
I am at knee and I second what Chromis said about people mentioning how long my hair is at family or social gatherings but I do not take it down, I kind of feel cornered and I do not like the direct attention. That said I very very rarely wear my hair down in public anymore, one or two times per month when drying and I happen to go somewhere but I have always preferred my hair up.

Chromis
December 2nd, 2017, 07:15 PM
I think it depends a lot how it is asked or said. No one is cornering me, usually it is more that they are talking bout it and the other people will have that look of "I'm super curious, but timid about asking" on their face. I think people assume my hair is hard to put back up again or something.

I'd be pretty grumpy if they demanded or tried cornering me! People don't generally try that on me. They know they won't like it if I am angry :twisted:

Ligeia Noire
December 4th, 2017, 07:10 AM
I completely agree. It is mostly fine I just don't want to.

gossamer
December 5th, 2017, 07:30 AM
On occasion I'll wear my braid down without pinning it up, but only if I'm feeling up to handling the potentially awful/annoying comments. And obviously it can never actually be down anymore. But I pretty much stopped wearing it loose/half-up in public after about knee, actually, because I felt like it made me really vulnerable.

trolleypup
December 6th, 2017, 11:53 PM
I regularly wear my hair down when I am going out, and occasionally in other situations (when it is still drying, when the stick isn't cooperating, when someone asks about the stick). I choose to accept the inevitable tangling...and I'm OK with the attention.

Quixii
December 7th, 2017, 12:32 AM
I have to be "ready" to wear it down. Ready for and maybe wanting the comments and attention it brings, ready to deal with it possibly getting caught in things, ready to detangle after. But when I am ready in this way, I usually commit to the length of however long I'll be out, so it is down for a few hours. I definitely plan days I'll be wearing my hair down in advance. I usually do wear it down maybe a handful of times a year. Like, once a semester and for a couple special events, perhaps.
I like my hair for me, and I like the versatility of all the buns and whatnot I can wear. But I also like to be able to wear it down every once in a while. I don't really feel like it's harder now than it was at hip or classic or whatnot, but maybe that's because it grew slowly so I was used to it.

AspenSong
December 7th, 2017, 12:44 PM
I pretty much never wear mine down in public, or at home. My ends are so so thin and wispy, they get caught or just float up into stuff. I do occasionally want to wear it down in public just to see what would happen, but usually decide against it because it's such a pain to protect it. Also, frankly....I do not have the issue everyone else does where I get attention or touching. Just doesn't happen to me at all. I expect that reaction when I'm out with Seeshami if hers is down because my hair is like poo next to hers. lol. I could have my hair be floor length and in a puddle on the floor and no one will notice. But I really don't get much of anything other than maybe a "Your hair is so long!" comment here or there.
Ultimately, my hair and keeping it long is for me. :)

harpgal
December 9th, 2017, 03:09 PM
I am at lower calf and never wear my hair down in public. Even at home it is difficult because it floats and catches on everything. Oh to not have such fine hair! I could wear a single braid but it usually gets pretty furry (in a hurry :-) ). However, wearing a braid wrapped around my head is the best ‘do I've ever had.

rowie
December 9th, 2017, 11:33 PM
I don’t ever wear my hair down in public only because I had a bad experience of a brave woman approaching a tall man like myself and just pulling and tugging my hair without my permission. I never felt violated until I experienced this incident. Good thing LHC taught me very well to politely say “Please do not touch my hair...” Growing my hair is for me, and with my own personal tribute to my great grandmother. Besides, I love wearing my hair up, and I enjoy taking care of my hair and the endless “getting to know it.”

Griselda
December 10th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Do you wear your hair loose in public much? Or ever? Do you like to "wow" people with the length of your hair, or is it something just for yourself? :)

I think the last time I wore them open they were at knee length. But it's just too much attention. :( Also, a "your hair is so long" is just awkward for me. So, I don't like the "wow", but I would open my bun for really really nice people if they are curious, or my friends and family.

LadyLong
December 18th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Keep being you with your personal feelings about sharing the length with very special people in your life. Sometimes they might surprise you with a negative comment, but be ready to project yourself (into an older woman's viewpoint): I am me for today. I take my time in deciding whom I want to be open with and who accepts me for who I am.

LadyLong
December 18th, 2017, 09:31 PM
So much for me to learn from beautiful long haired princesses... what they are going through and how special it is when they stay true to themselves. Short haired ones and even bald ones are beautiful princesses too, just keep on your special path.

LadyLong
December 18th, 2017, 09:38 PM
I know what you mean, Gossamer. Keeping a certain mystique from the public and only for certain people and occasions makes it more of a treasure.

LadyLong
December 18th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Thank you for being polite in expressing your feelings of not wanting others to touch your hair. I am one of the ones who loves touching someone's hair if it is long. It is a gesture of approval, beauty and awe, yet not meant to overcome a person's private space. People need to be re-educated about their special space being intruded on, as their private space not to be violated upon. I am learning with your blog. Thank you again.

LadyLong
December 18th, 2017, 09:59 PM
I pretty much never wear mine down in public, or at home. My ends are so so thin and wispy, they get caught or just float up into stuff. I do occasionally want to wear it down in public just to see what would happen, but usually decide against it because it's such a pain to protect it. Also, frankly....I do not have the issue everyone else does where I get attention or touching. Just doesn't happen to me at all. I expect that reaction when I'm out with Seeshami if hers is down because my hair is like poo next to hers. lol. I could have my hair be floor length and in a puddle on the floor and no one will notice. But I really don't get much of anything other than maybe a "Your hair is so long!" comment here or there.
Ultimately, my hair and keeping it long is for me. :)

I comment because I want you to know that if your hair helps you feel as special as you (and I do in having it long) you are doing the right thing. It is fun to have it as it is and serves a very special intimate purpose. Others cannot understand it, only we can. Here is to much enjoyment in being you, not the perfection others impose on us, but the simple joys of accepting ourselves the way we are. Have fun!