PDA

View Full Version : Do you weekly DT?

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 2nd, 2017, 01:10 AM
I saw something once that recommends that deep treating weekly, is the best for hair.
My hair is pretty dry even after all the co washing and leave ins and oils.
I have been trying to get to doing it every week, as I remember. My hair does indeed feel better every time I do it.
I was trying to do weekly deep oiling but it didnt seem to help that much or have effect so this is more of a question for those of us that prefer SMT, or premade deep treatments.

How many of us do them (or try to) every week?
Do you leave it in for 15 mins, an hour, etc?
Have you seen benefits from doing them every week?

I use currently a shea moisture deep treatment, argan oil and almond milk.
One pack lasts 2 weeks, but I also have like 6 hask brand packets i need to use up so ill give those a try next.
I leave them on for about 40-60 mins, and I saran wrap and then cover myself with a towel to trap the heat.
My hair feels amazing after, so I want to try doing these every week. Anyone?

Lanalavallama
December 2nd, 2017, 02:14 AM
I do. Mostly on Sundays. I steam my hair with a deep treatment, and the dt varies, based on what i have. Sometimes I make fenugreek mask and combine that with a conditioner and then steam my hair. I leave the treatment on for at least an hour, and up to 8 hours when i sleep with it in my hair. I do try a lot of different conditioners, though. Especially deep treatments.

lithostoic
December 2nd, 2017, 05:53 AM
That's about how often I wash. My hair doesn't get that dry in one week to require a deep treatment. I do it about once a month.

school of fish
December 2nd, 2017, 06:16 AM
I try to, but I often end up skipping a week because life happens.

I actually started my weekly DT routine a few years back when I switched from doing monthly all-over henna applications to weekly roots-only applications. I figured since I was doing something to my hair already I might as well double up on treatments so I started SMTing the length along with hennaing the roots. Back then my hair was really dry, and the weekly SMT really helped get the moisture back in balance.

Nowadays I still stick to that general schedule, but I don't need the moisture so badly, so skipping a week or two doesn't really make much difference. The weekly necessity is more for keeping the roots colour in check - the DT is just a habit now :)

I generally keep it on between 1hr and 1-1/2hrs, longer if I get doing something. I'm not super regimented about it, I just fit it around my life and try to generally stick to a weekly or bi-weekly schedule.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2017, 07:25 AM
I weekly wash & just double condition. Sometimes 2 conditioners, sometimes a mask and a conditioner, sometimes even 2 masks. I leave both on for 2 min. each, no more. I have experimented with leaving things on longer, and 2 min. seems to be just right for me. I also can't "stand around" with product on my head for 15 min. (disability). When my hair is tangle-free or as good as, I know my products are good. It is possible with for example the HE Hello Hydration as a second conditioner.

I do think all the leaving on for one H, to longer, to even overnight does more harm than good (hygral fatigue and such), unless you do a dry pre-poo with it. So I generally don't bother.

It works for me, and I have soft hair always!

ReptilianFeline
December 2nd, 2017, 07:43 AM
I don't know if it's considered a DT, but this is what I do the day before I wash my hair:
Oil my scalp with my castor oil, lanolin, neem oil mix.
Oil my hair either with pure cocnut oil, or the Vatica coconut amla oil, or my lanolin (hoof) oil, and detangle and brush out any loose hair.
On wahs day... add a bit more oil to my hair if needed, brush through to catch any new loose hair, then bun again until washing time.

LadyCelestina
December 2nd, 2017, 09:29 AM
I used to do it, but then I got lazy. Also I like to use store brought masks (as opposed to just everyday conditioner left for longer) and it gets tiring having to buy another product...

But I had good results with it so maybe I will force myself to do it again! Not sure if there was any benefit condition wise but my hair looked very nice and it was a treat.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 2nd, 2017, 12:31 PM
I don't know if it's considered a DT, but this is what I do the day before I wash my hair:
Oil my scalp with my castor oil, lanolin, neem oil mix.
Oil my hair either with pure cocnut oil, or the Vatica coconut amla oil, or my lanolin (hoof) oil, and detangle and brush out any loose hair.
On wahs day... add a bit more oil to my hair if needed, brush through to catch any new loose hair, then bun again until washing time.

In the case of this forum, oiling is not considered a deep treatment, as I stated before it doesn’t work for me in that way.
My general understanding however is oil is a lubricant, protects the hair but does not moisturize.

MoonRabbit
December 2nd, 2017, 12:38 PM
I deep treated weekly for 8 months but then I started to suffer from over moisturized hair. I haven't dt since and my hair is doing better. Weekly treatments causes waaaay too much build up for me, which then causes dry ends, tangles and breakage.

Jo Ann
December 2nd, 2017, 12:44 PM
Before last month, I was SMT once a month, when I clarified (I use non-SLS shampoo otherwise). I'd leave it on for about 60-90 minutes, depending on how runny the SMT was and when my neck got tired of my plastic bag/terry towel turban.

Because my hair is noticably (to me, anyway) changing (Go Team Renegrey!), I'm working on a different shampooing schedule. After I get the shampoo part worked out, I'll be working on another SMT schedule.

Deborah
December 2nd, 2017, 02:32 PM
I never do any deep treatments. My hair does not seem to need it.

Dendra
December 2nd, 2017, 03:39 PM
I do a weekly SMT for an hour or so prior to washing. It helps remove the coconut oil I put in the night before a wash and also leaves my hair unbelievably soft.

I deep treated weekly for 8 months but then I started to suffer from over moisturized hair. I haven't dt since and my hair is doing better. Weekly treatments causes waaaay too much build up for me, which then causes dry ends, tangles and breakage.

I do want to make sure this doesn't happen to me as I do SMTs about every 5 days (alongside my weekly wash) - how would I tell if I have over moisturised hair? I don't seem to have any build up so maybe it's fine.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 2nd, 2017, 05:36 PM
I do a weekly SMT for an hour or so prior to washing. It helps remove the coconut oil I put in the night before a wash and also leaves my hair unbelievably soft.

I do want to make sure this doesn't happen to me as I do SMTs about every 5 days (alongside my weekly wash) - how would I tell if I have over moisturised hair? I don't seem to have any build up so maybe it's fine.
This is also something I’ve wondered. Everyone always says “you can tell, the hair is TOO soft.”

But what if you’re dry, wavy and like me and have very thirsty hair...

Jo Ann
December 2nd, 2017, 08:51 PM
You do a strand test, Rebecca. Here's a good video that explains how to tell if your hair needs protein or moisture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdviRNXajPo

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 2nd, 2017, 09:39 PM
You do a strand test, Rebecca. Here's a good video that explains how to tell if your hair needs protein or moisture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdviRNXajPo
I’ve done it before. It never gave me a clue as to what my hair needs.
(My strands always, snap. No matter the treatments. I take a strand, stretch, and they snap. They never go back to what they were before, they stretch and stretch without snapping. They stretch a little and then they snap. My hair doesn’t like protein so I chuck it up to needing moisture. But if you’re doing DT every WEEK, at some point you think that it would change. But mine just never does.)

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 2nd, 2017, 09:40 PM
Also for whatever reason that video is restricted when I clicked.

Robi-Bird
December 2nd, 2017, 09:58 PM
I rarely deep treat. Hair does not need it, scalp HATES it, and when in doubt the scalp gets to make the decisions.

leayellena
December 3rd, 2017, 01:00 AM
not really because I co-wash mostly. I dt, co- or shampoo depending on how my hair feels. best method for me.

LadyCelestina
December 3rd, 2017, 03:52 AM
^ You can tell your hair is over moisturized if it alway comes out frizzy/fluffy after a wash, and the curls or waves get limp.

ghanima
December 3rd, 2017, 06:35 AM
I do every week a half-way thing - I use normal conditioner but I leave it on my hair a good 30 min, with a beanie or a turbie twist on. It works very well for me.
Plus once a month I do SMT, for 1h. And also, on a needed base, a conditioner with proteins for 30 min, when I feel the need to give more body to the curls.

Something that has, I believe, improved the state of my hair, which have low porosity, is that now I dry them with a diffuser. That added heat has made them absorb the products a little more.

Carolyn
December 3rd, 2017, 07:29 AM
I used to but got out of the habit of doing it regularly. I would do SMT or use a commercial DT. I would cover my hair in a plastic cap and put my heat cap on over it and leave it on for an hour or so. It was a pain because I had to wash my hair first and then I had to rinse all the conditioner out. My hair was more damaged in the past so I think it helped a little. Now I don't think it's worth the effort. Once in a blue moon I will do a heavy overnight oiling and CO it out in the morning. That's a little easier to do. I rarely use oil as a leave in and haven't found many leave ins that I like. The only one has been Aveda Damage Remedy leave in.

ReptilianFeline
December 3rd, 2017, 08:23 AM
In the case of this forum, oiling is not considered a deep treatment, as I stated before it doesn’t work for me in that way.
My general understanding however is oil is a lubricant, protects the hair but does not moisturize.

Thank's for explaining. I know that at least VO5 would market some oil as a DT, but that was ages ago.

lapushka
December 3rd, 2017, 10:31 AM
^ You can tell your hair is over moisturized if it alway comes out frizzy/fluffy after a wash, and the curls or waves get limp.

I had that happen on my ends this past week, felt I had used a little too much moisture as I just had globbed on the JBCO leave-in (really too much of it), and it was just a little over 2 coinsizes that I had used. I felt it towards the end of the week mostly when my hair went limp faster (I guess got a little oily)! It can happen faster with leave-in products and products you use for the LOC/LCO method, IMMHO.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 3rd, 2017, 10:37 AM
Thank's for explaining. I know that at least VO5 would market some oil as a DT, but that was ages ago.

The VO5 oil is a hot oil treatment, I can see how that could be seen as a deep treatment because the hair is required to be wet beforehand and the heat is meant to help the hair “absorb” the product better. But overall, oil is used to protect on most people. If you’re like me and you’re low porosity, meaning you need heat to open up the cuticle and your hair doesn’t absorb products quickly, oil as a DT doesn’t work. It just sits on top of the hair. However, when I use oil on wet hair, I’m sure there’s a difference as the oil is now “sealing” in the moisture but overall oil as a pre poo treatment works much better imo and would not be considered a DT. :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 3rd, 2017, 10:39 AM

I’m like.. ehhh? Ehhhh? Is that what my hair does???
It’s hard to say if that discribes my hair. Frizzy has been a constant state of mind, for me. Lol.

LadyCelestina
December 3rd, 2017, 11:09 AM
I’m like.. ehhh? Ehhhh? Is that what my hair does???
It’s hard to say if that discribes my hair. Frizzy has been a constant state of mind, for me. Lol.

Yes of course it's normal for waves to be a bit frizzy. What I meant is texture that's similar to brushed out curls/waves. Just sort of fluffy and without definition.

MoonRabbit
December 3rd, 2017, 11:12 AM

This is also something I’ve wondered. Everyone always says “you can tell, the hair is TOO soft.”

But what if you’re dry, wavy and like me and have very thirsty hair...

My over moisturized hair was only in a certain section ( under layer on the back of my head) so it took me a while to realize what was going on. The rest of my hair was acting normal, but the under layer constantly felt like it was wet even though it wasn't and it actually did feel like a used piece of chewing gum. My medium strands felt so soft it made them feel like fine hair.

Dendra I wouldn't worry much about it, if your hair is responding well to the routine then keep it up. If by chance it does happen all you have to do is quit the dt for awhile and do a yogurt mask.

Dark40
December 5th, 2017, 12:09 PM
I do weekly deep treatments twice a week. Because, I have chemically-treated hair. I always like to keep it moisturized. Because, it always has a tendency to become dry.

RedStripe
December 5th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I used to do a treatment occasionally as sort of a treatment for my hair -- I liked to use those hair mask products that Lush makes -- but it doesn't really need it much. I haven't done one in quite a while.

Ligeia Noire
December 10th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I do one every time I wash pretty much. Mostly it is an smt. In rarer occasions a shea moisture or Pantene mask. It does make a difference. My wurls spring to life and my hair is stronger. So, I usually apply argan oil to my scalp the day before and then wash with sls free shampoo or a clarifying one if it is time and I need it then I apply the mask and put a plastic bag and a beanie over my bunned hair and let it sit for usually an hour and then rinse, do an acv and voilà!
I asked for Christmas the 8oz hair salve panacea to my husband, so hopefully I'll get it. Even though it is hard to spread, I loved what it did for my hair. It is even better than smts because I don't have to mix conditioners as the ones I usually use have silicones.