PDA

View Full Version : Dry ghe (greenhouse effect)

proo
November 30th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Since finding a long thin somewhat stretchy plastic bag and impulsively turbaning my dry hair in it for about half an hour,
I’m hooked!
Very smoothing and moisturizing with zero product or manipulation.
Exactly what I’m looking for as the temp drops

lapushka
November 30th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Since finding a long thin somewhat stretchy plastic bag and impulsively turbaning my dry hair in it for about half an hour,
I’m hooked!

I'm not sure about that. Looks like it might "suffocate", but then what do I know, and hair can't breathe, might not be that great for the scalp though, that's about the only thing I'm really concerned for.

What's the purpose of this, just apart from keeping warm?

Alex Lou
November 30th, 2017, 05:39 PM
I thought that perhaps you were putting Indian butter in your hair: ghee

Groovy Granny
November 30th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I thought that perhaps you were putting Indian butter in your hair: ghee

LOL Me too :lol:

Chromis
November 30th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Hee, that makes three of us!

Deborah
November 30th, 2017, 11:12 PM
What does this do, other than making your head sweat?

proo
December 1st, 2017, 06:27 AM
Oops-I meant what’s called the “greenhouse effect “ where the hair is traditionally baggyed with conditioner.
A more accurate description would be the “silk wrap” method of wrapping dry hair around the head then covering with Saran Wrap, usually heat is applied with a bonnet hair in dryer for about 30 minutes.
I didn’t do all that, just turbaned and did my thang for awhile, no sweating, but I live in a cold place.
The result was noticeably smoother more moisturized hair

TatsuOni
December 1st, 2017, 06:41 AM
Hee, that makes three of us!

Now we're four! :p

lapushka
December 1st, 2017, 08:12 AM
Oops-I meant what’s called the “greenhouse effect “ where the hair is traditionally baggyed with conditioner.
A more accurate description would be the “silk wrap” method of wrapping dry hair around the head then covering with Saran Wrap, usually heat is applied with a bonnet hair in dryer for about 30 minutes.
I didn’t do all that, just turbaned and did my thang for awhile, no sweating, but I live in a cold place.

Oh GHE = greenhouse effect. I don't think it's really known here that much. It's the baggying method; now I get it. I just thought you just put a plastic bag on your head & done. I couldn't figure out why. LOL!

Groovy Granny
December 1st, 2017, 12:54 PM

Ohhhh....GHE :rollin: now I get it!!!

Now we're four! :p
ROFLOL

Oh GHE = greenhouse effect. I don't think it's really known here that much. It's the baggying method; now I get it. I just thought you just put a plastic bag on your head & done. I couldn't figure out why. LOL!
Same here...not known

I wondered too lol ;)

I think that would fry my wispy silver (and scalp), especially under heat :hmm:

It ain't broke...so I will pass on this one...but curious about other trials/results :popcorn:

Anje
December 1st, 2017, 03:09 PM
Add me to the "ghee?" list. (So instead of "Bees?" it's "Ghee?") :D

I'm gonna edit the title, to save people the puzzlement. Glad it worked for you.

Beeboo123
December 1st, 2017, 03:33 PM
Add me to the list. I was so confused, is there wet ghee and dry ghee, what did it have to do with wrapping one’s head? Hahaha

embee
December 1st, 2017, 04:03 PM
I also misundertood the thread title and thought, well, I don't oil my hair so I won't read this....

Lanalavallama
December 2nd, 2017, 03:44 AM
GHE tends to irritate my scalp, especially if i try to do overnight. But yes, it keft my hair soft when i did it.

proo
December 2nd, 2017, 06:59 AM
Snort!- I inadvertently created intriguing clickbait!
Thanks for fixing it up anje
And yes, I did kinda just stick a bag on my head
but the result was surprising-
As a mostly SO practitioner I’m always on the lookout for processes, as opposed to products, that boost moisture
And LAY my cuticle
This delivers in an ultimately gentle way
It’s no different than the myriad of deep conditioning methods that involve baggying
Except there’s no product used.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2017, 07:21 AM
Snort!- I inadvertently created intriguing clickbait!
Thanks for fixing it up anje
And yes, I did kinda just stick a bag on my head
but the result was surprising-
As a mostly SO practitioner I’m always on the lookout for processes, as opposed to products, that boost moisture
And LAY my cuticle
This delivers in an ultimately gentle way
It’s no different than the myriad of deep conditioning methods that involve baggying
Except there’s no product used.

Oh I understood right, you do do it without product. I'm glad you found something that helps & works for you. :) Can be a bit odd, though. I didn't know you were SO, so it was a bit odd when I first read it.

proo
December 2nd, 2017, 08:17 AM
Yeah, this prolly belongs over in the SO thread-
They’re used to my shenanigans

Jo Ann
December 2nd, 2017, 12:48 PM
Your GHE effect sounds like how my hair reacts when I sleep with it bunned on top of my head when it's wet. For some reason, the slower drying time (I let it air dry in the morning) seems to give my hair a chance to absorb all that moisture goodness I slap on it after I wash it.

samanthaa
December 2nd, 2017, 12:50 PM
Wait. I'm still lost. You simply tie a bag over your dry hair? Don't dampen it, don't add deep conditioner, correct?

sarahthegemini
December 2nd, 2017, 01:47 PM
I really don't understand how putting a bag on your head will do anything other than make you sweat. Interesting.

Beeboo123
December 2nd, 2017, 01:59 PM
I’m hooked!

What light source do you use? Without light, there’s really no greenhouse effect, is there? There’s just increased temperature resulting from lack of heat loss from evaporation of sweat (we sweat constantly, whether it is hot or cold, not always noticeably), and because plastic is a good insulator.

Jo Ann
December 2nd, 2017, 09:12 PM
You don't need a light source to create a "greenhouse effect"--you prevent heat from escaping, so it builds up within a confined space. The top of one's head tends to give off a lot of heat (which is why you wear a hat/cap in winter, so you can stay warmer), but if that heat isn't allowed to escape, it stays close to the head; similar to wearing a bag or using Saran Wrap when you do a SMT. You don't have to sweat, either ;)

Wildcat Diva
December 2nd, 2017, 10:07 PM
I do this often with a shower cap, and yes, I like it.

proo
December 3rd, 2017, 07:13 AM
Unconventional, yes-
There’s something about the plastic. .
It’s what works so well in a silk wrap
The turban works better imho since the plastic has contact with more hair