PDA

View Full Version : Dec 2017 Challenge! Finger Detangle/Protective Style to the New Year!

TheCurlyMermaid
November 28th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Hi all! :heartbeat I noticed there had previously been a finger detangling challenge, and I figured I'd get two birds with one stone and make a protective styling challenge at the same time (also hopefully minimizing tangles for you). I'm doing this because I'm really trying to baby my ends and retain length in future as I have had a great growth rate in the past, but haven't been doing so well thanks to breakage.

Obviously how long you plan to keep your protective styles depends on your hair type. I'm a 3b, so my new regimen is to do a full wash day once a week, and I have been doing DTs twice a week. I then moisturize and seal my hair, braid it into some kind of updo (I've been loving milkmaid/heidi braids recently), tuck the ends in some how, and leave it alone. I constantly want to touch my hair so I've taken to keeping my hair covered with a silk scarf if I'm not going anywhere, and obviously I wear it to bed.

My goal for December is to do this challenge, not manipulate my hair outside the things listed in my regimen, and do the inversion method each night for 7 days.

Anyone interested in joining me? In one side of the challenge/both?

Dendra
November 28th, 2017, 05:58 PM
I actually already finger comb and wear protective styles every day so it's not a challenge for me but I voted just for fun! :)

azi
November 28th, 2017, 06:26 PM
this is gonna be hard for me with my frizzy, always tangled hair! but im excited to give it a go!

Jo Ann
November 28th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Protective styles for me are a no-brainer; fingercombing, on the other hand... :confused: Some days I do (usually the first couple of days after I shampoo), most days I don't (although I DO use a detangling comb before brushing!)...for me, this IS going to be a challenge!

Um...we can then comb/brush afterward, can't we?

Corvana
November 28th, 2017, 07:14 PM
I'll try to do both, why not! I have a feeling I'll fail the finger detangling one, though :P A wide tooth comb is good too, though ;) I could modify it for myself, though! Since I'm used to using a brush, and I want to... not... anymore.

victorian girl
November 29th, 2017, 01:07 AM
I'm fingercombing already (even right now, hehe), but I've ordered a comb a few days ago, so I will try that too - although, for me sticking with any of these would be a big change from what I used to do before LHC. And I'm already taking part in wear your hair up challenge - but my current go-to style is a ponytail, I've tried to make a French braid, but failed (my hair is too short, uneven, sleek and curly for it to be working right now - and it tangles in the process a lot). I'll continue experimenting, though! So I'm (kind of) in:)

Beeboo123
November 29th, 2017, 02:53 AM
Just fingercombing for me. Putting my hair up in “protective” styles cause so much breakage for me, i’d rather leave it down and avoid rubbing. I don’t understand how everyone here seems to be able to bun or braid without breakage

TheCurlyMermaid
November 29th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Protective styles for me are a no-brainer; fingercombing, on the other hand... :confused: Some days I do (usually the first couple of days after I shampoo), most days I don't (although I DO use a detangling comb before brushing!)...for me, this IS going to be a challenge!

Um...we can then comb/brush afterward, can't we?

Haha of course! It's just to see how/if these methods make a difference in your length retention for the month. And I'm not in any way trying to cause anyone's hair to get matted, you know your hair best! That's why I've made it so you can split it into two challenges. I have curly hair too so I'm usually a denman girl but I'm trying to wean myself off of that, at least down to a wide tooth comb in future. I lose FAR more hair to my denman than to my fingers.

TheCurlyMermaid
November 29th, 2017, 05:09 AM
I'll try to do both, why not! I have a feeling I'll fail the finger detangling one, though :P A wide tooth comb is good too, though ;) I could modify it for myself, though! Since I'm used to using a brush, and I want to... not... anymore.

Yes! That's quite a challenge too! I'm used to using a brush as well and I'm trying to make the same move. Haha oh well, if we fall off one we can try to stay on for the other. Baby steps! "My brush is a hair eating monster." I need to keep telling myself that. "I want to detangle, not tear knots out." :pray:

Sarahlabyrinth
November 29th, 2017, 05:21 AM
I don't find finger detangling easy as my hair is like spiderwebs, but I'm happy to do the protective styling for December. I do that anyway. :)

TheCurlyMermaid
November 29th, 2017, 05:22 AM
Just fingercombing for me. Putting my hair up in “protective” styles cause so much breakage for me, i’d rather leave it down and avoid rubbing. I don’t understand how everyone here seems to be able to bun or braid without breakage

I understand completely! Certain styles work really well for me, and some do far more harm than good. None of my protective styles are ever too tight because I don't want traction alopecia. French braids seem to cause breakage for me while dutch braids work really well for me (not that I know how to do either of those braids...I want to learn how next year). Whatever works best for your hair! Good luck with the challenge! :o

TheCurlyMermaid
November 29th, 2017, 05:24 AM
I don't find finger detangling easy as my hair is like spiderwebs, but I'm happy to do the protective styling for December. I do that anyway. :)

Ooh my hair gets webby too! Finger detangling is definitely time consuming; I get why it's not for everyone. Happy to have you onboard for protective styling! :cheer:

LadyCelestina
November 29th, 2017, 07:13 AM
I'm in with protective styling and well ok, even finger detangling only if I have to. I like to use a brush on my roots, as they are straightish. But I can go without.

I always feel like these challenges are much more do-able when it's just a short time, like a month, and December is a busy month so should be easy. Are we allowed to wear hair down for a while during the day or have a cheat day? Do braids count? Or no hard rules?

I think the main challenge would be styling my hair so that it looks nice when up for holiday events, because I tend to rely a lot on wearing my hair down.

lapushka
November 29th, 2017, 07:39 AM
I already do both, and have been doing this for years.

I bun when I'm up, and wear my hair down when I go to sleep. I finger detangle Tuesday through Saturday and quite a number of sheds come out, Sunday I comb/brush right before a wash, and Monday I don't need to get sheds out as there aren't any (because I like lose 3 handfuls of hair when I wash).

TheCurlyMermaid
November 29th, 2017, 10:08 AM
I'm in with protective styling and well ok, even finger detangling only if I have to. I like to use a brush on my roots, as they are straightish. But I can go without.

I always feel like these challenges are much more do-able when it's just a short time, like a month, and December is a busy month so should be easy. Are we allowed to wear hair down for a while during the day or have a cheat day? Do braids count? Or no hard rules?

I think the main challenge would be styling my hair so that it looks nice when up for holiday events, because I tend to rely a lot on wearing my hair down.

Great questions! I thought about this too! I think because it's such an active social season I'm going to give myself 2 cheat days for each challenge (4 days total unless you do both on the same day). I'd say toggle with it as you may but make sure that whatever 'cheat' things you allot yourself before the challenge starts, you stick to them. So even if you tell yourself you have 1 day each week off, just do your best to not take two!

As for the styles? I'm not saying we need to stick to specific ones. Whatever is protective for you! Protective for some people protective is just a bun, for some it means braids, for others it means twists, some people will even wear a head covering, a wig, or have a weave installed. Like I think I'll do a wig for New Years Eve, because I'll want my hair straight, and I'll likely want highlights. Two things I've sworn off for the next 3-5 years.

It might be fun to post pictures of the protective styles we come up with, to give others ideas for themselves!

TheCurlyMermaid
November 29th, 2017, 10:09 AM
I already do both, and have been doing this for years.

I bun when I'm up, and wear my hair down when I go to sleep. I finger detangle Tuesday through Saturday and quite a number of sheds come out, Sunday I comb/brush right before a wash, and Monday I don't need to get sheds out as there aren't any (because I like lose 3 handfuls of hair when I wash).

Wow that sounds like a great routine! *Scribbling notes*

LadyCelestina
November 29th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Great questions! I thought about this too! I think because it's such an active social season I'm going to give myself 2 cheat days for each challenge (4 days total unless you do both on the same day). I'd say toggle with it as you may but make sure that whatever 'cheat' things you allot yourself before the challenge starts, you stick to them. So even if you tell yourself you have 1 day each week off, just do your best to not take two!

As for the styles? I'm not saying we need to stick to specific ones. Whatever is protective for you! Protective for some people protective is just a bun, for some it means braids, for others it means twists, some people will even wear a head covering, a wig, or have a weave installed. Like I think I'll do a wig for New Years Eve, because I'll want my hair straight, and I'll likely want highlights. Two things I've sworn off for the next 3-5 years.

It might be fun to post pictures of the protective styles we come up with, to give others ideas for themselves!

Great! I think I'll give myself 2 cheat days then, and count braids as my protective style.

And I can have some hair-down time, in the evening, before putting my hair into sleep braid.

TheCurlyMermaid
November 29th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Great! I think I'll give myself 2 cheat days then, and count braids as my protective style.

And I can have some hair-down time, in the evening, before putting my hair into sleep braid.

Sounds great! :cheer:

Lanalavallama
November 29th, 2017, 11:05 AM
My hair is still too short for a protective style.
So, finger detangling it is!

TheCurlyMermaid
November 29th, 2017, 11:31 AM
My hair is still too short for a protective style.
So, finger detangling it is!

Welcome! :cheer::blossom:

Jas
November 29th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Ooh good idea for a challenge. I'm a tangle teezer fiend so would like to try finger detangling only for December.. see how it feels at the end and if I can make it through! I'm so used to smooth hair from my TT so think this will be the main challenge.

The protective updo I actually do already, but I definitely want to keep doing it. Before August this year I always had my hair either down or in a ponytail so sticks and forks have been a game changer for me :D

The most difficult time for me to finger detangle and keep it in an updo is day three (where I have my hair wash in the evening) because it starts just going wrong completely then and nothing looks good or is comfortable. I might go back to washing every other day actually.. we'll see.

Anyway yeah, I'm in! :D

Corvana
November 29th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Yes! That's quite a challenge too! I'm used to using a brush as well and I'm trying to make the same move. Haha oh well, if we fall off one we can try to stay on for the other. Baby steps! "My brush is a hair eating monster." I need to keep telling myself that. "I want to detangle, not tear knots out." :pray:

Ah I just use(d) a Tangle Teezer and found it was pretty gentle! But it straightens my already weak and delicate waves, and now I'm on a mission to protect the heck out of those lol.

Alysia
November 29th, 2017, 12:00 PM
I get my hand back tomorrow, so going for the protective styles challenge. :) Finger detangling probably isn't a good idea for the time being.

my2cats1
November 29th, 2017, 03:12 PM
My hair is just now getting long enough to put up (it's almost at shoulder) so this is a great opportunity for me to learn some protective styles! I will aim to wear it up every other day. My new favorite thing at this stage is to do a french braid with the end tassel tucked up and under.

TheCurlyMermaid
November 29th, 2017, 05:35 PM
I get my hand back tomorrow, so going for the protective styles challenge. :) Finger detangling probably isn't a good idea for the time being.

Welcome! Ooh yes, maybe another time! I hope your wrist recovers well and quickly! :blossom:

My hair is just now getting long enough to put up (it's almost at shoulder) so this is a great opportunity for me to learn some protective styles! I will aim to wear it up every other day. My new favorite thing at this stage is to do a french braid with the end tassel tucked up and under.

That's a cool protective style! I used that one often when mine was around APL. Welcome! :o

.Amanaka.
November 29th, 2017, 08:45 PM
I'm just starting to come back into the long hair growing fold, so this seems like a good place to start! My hair is still really too short for protective styles, but I will definitely try to finger detangle, maybe only brushing right before I wash? I'm also going to try protective styles, but I think that just means wearing it under a hat or something.

TheCurlyMermaid
November 30th, 2017, 10:31 AM
I'm just starting to come back into the long hair growing fold, so this seems like a good place to start! My hair is still really too short for protective styles, but I will definitely try to finger detangle, maybe only brushing right before I wash? I'm also going to try protective styles, but I think that just means wearing it under a hat or something.

Nice! Welcome .Amanaka. ! :o

NightSister
November 30th, 2017, 02:42 PM
In for protective styling!

TheCurlyMermaid
December 1st, 2017, 02:49 AM
In for protective styling!

Welcome, NightSister, and good luck!

TheCurlyMermaid
December 1st, 2017, 02:51 AM
Alright, everyone! Welcome to Day One of your challenge! Best of luck to you all! Feel free to post pictures of your hair along the challenge if you'd like (styles/length/quality, whatever!).

Let's begin! :cheer:

NightSister
December 1st, 2017, 07:43 AM
Day 1: Cinnabun with copper fork.

TheCurlyMermaid
December 1st, 2017, 08:19 AM
Day 1: Two english braids bunned on the upper sides of my head.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/f1bfda457564efc83bdec5fd21dd1b42/tumblr_inline_p0ahzvtjC11spzibg_540.jpg

Detailed my wash day in my LHC Blog & tumblr as well!

Alysia
December 1st, 2017, 05:12 PM
Welcome! Ooh yes, maybe another time! I hope your wrist recovers well and quickly! :blossom:

Thanks!
Day 1: Cinnabun with olive wood fork.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29375&d=1512172330

LadyCelestina
December 2nd, 2017, 06:59 AM
Day 1 - English Braid
Day 2 - Elastic held cinnabun or more like bee-butt bun :D I was in a hurry this morning. Now it's down for drying.

No pics though.

TheCurlyMermaid, that's a super cute hairstyle!

TheCurlyMermaid
December 2nd, 2017, 07:28 AM
Day 1 - English Braid
Day 2 - Elastic held cinnabun or more like bee-butt bun :D I was in a hurry this morning. Now it's down for drying.

No pics though.

TheCurlyMermaid, that's a super cute hairstyle!

Thanks, LadyCelestina! It looks kind of "little girl" ish but I like it too!

Day 2: Milkmaid (English) braids.
https://78.media.tumblr.com/d04564e59f54a13afda66940b514d5ad/tumblr_p0c8571zto1wj7k4xo1_540.jpg
https://78.media.tumblr.com/e89a038af9671b1c43df0e249d109918/tumblr_p0c8571zto1wj7k4xo2_540.jpg

(Obviously they don't all have to be braids but braids prevent tangles in my hair whereas buns may cause my curls to twist into themselves making them hard to detangle sometimes. Since I'm only finger detangling, I'm trying to prevent tangles entirely.)

NightSister
December 2nd, 2017, 07:41 AM
Cute TheCurlyMermaid!

Day 2: Dutch Braid.

LadyCelestina
December 3rd, 2017, 03:50 AM
Day 3: We are having guests come to lunch and I didn't know what to do and hair didn't cooperate, so I just did a nautilus-ish bun ( I can't do this one properly) and tied a pink ribbon around it.

TheCurlyMermaid
December 3rd, 2017, 05:40 AM
Day 3: My braids are still good from yesterday since I didn't go anywhere and I slept with my satin cap so I'm just keeping them in today! They still look fresh. :o

Alysia
December 3rd, 2017, 07:07 AM
Day 2: Milkmaid (English) braids.
https://78.media.tumblr.com/d04564e59f54a13afda66940b514d5ad/tumblr_p0c8571zto1wj7k4xo1_540.jpg
https://78.media.tumblr.com/e89a038af9671b1c43df0e249d109918/tumblr_p0c8571zto1wj7k4xo2_540.jpg

(Obviously they don't all have to be braids but braids prevent tangles in my hair whereas buns may cause my curls to twist into themselves making them hard to detangle sometimes. Since I'm only finger detangling, I'm trying to prevent tangles entirely.)

Spiffy!
Day 2: LWB with a pelican clip.
Day 3: French side braids pulled to the front. I’m sick, so I will be laying against things today and need to keep my hair away.

NightSister
December 3rd, 2017, 09:35 AM
Feel better Alysia!

Day 3: Dutch braid.

TheCurlyMermaid
December 3rd, 2017, 02:48 PM
Spiffy!
Day 2: LWB with a pelican clip.
Day 3: French side braids pulled to the front. I’m sick, so I will be laying against things today and need to keep my hair away.

Get well sooon!! :flower:

Alysia
December 3rd, 2017, 02:54 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

TheCurlyMermaid
December 4th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Day 4:

Took my braids down, finger detangled and put them back up. Added a bit of Ogx Coconut Miracle Oil from the ears down, focusing on the ends, and also used a tiny bit of Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie to my edges to prevent flyaways. Hopefully this style will keep, as it is the style that I’ll be using as I’ll be travelling until Wednesday (yep it’s going to take me 2 days to get home).

So this will likely be my hair for Days 4-6.
https://78.media.tumblr.com/85438ef76348c838a649794ea3132d3c/tumblr_inline_p0g2n65bSR1spzibg_540.png

Alysia
December 4th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Still cute! I like the contrast of the lighter braids against your crown hair. Enjoy your trip home!
Day 4: Cinnabun with spin pins.

TheCurlyMermaid
December 4th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Still cute! I like the contrast of the lighter braids against your crown hair. Enjoy your trip home!
Day 4: Cinnabun with spin pins.

Thanks! It was bleached to the roots April of 2016, so it has grown out quite a bit!

TheCurlyMermaid
December 5th, 2017, 02:17 AM
Day 4:

Took my braids down, finger detangled and put them back up. Added a bit of Ogx Coconut Miracle Oil from the ears down, focusing on the ends, and also used a tiny bit of Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie to my edges to prevent flyaways. Hopefully this style will keep, as it is the style that I’ll be using as I’ll be travelling until Wednesday (yep it’s going to take me 2 days to get home).

So this will likely be my hair for Days 4-6.
https://78.media.tumblr.com/85438ef76348c838a649794ea3132d3c/tumblr_inline_p0g2n65bSR1spzibg_540.png

Day 5: Milkmaid braids. Slept in satin scarf on silk pillow case, so the braids kept. Sitting in the airport now, and hopefully, these braids will hold up until tomorrow!

LadyCelestina
December 5th, 2017, 03:42 AM
Day 4 English braid
Day 5 Cinnamon bun

Alysia
December 5th, 2017, 08:17 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29393&d=1512486299
Day 5: Dutch braided bun

TheCurlyMermaid
December 5th, 2017, 03:08 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29393&d=1512486299
Day 5: Dutch braided bun

Alysia that style is SO pretty! Definitely going to try it at some point this month!

NightSister
December 5th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Day 4: low Cinnabun w/ bobble elastic
Day 5: Dutch braid

Alysia
December 6th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Alysia that style is SO pretty! Definitely going to try it at some point this month!

Thanks! It does a really good job of hiding how my dutch/french braids turn into a mess at the nape of my neck. ;) I just pop the ends into a scrunchie and braid from there, and slide the scrunchie off when it's finished.

Day 6: Seashell bun with Good Hair Days pins and a bronze fork. The central coil keeps trying to flip-need to come up with a better place to set the pins.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29398&d=1512574925

Jas
December 6th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Ok so I've been keeping to this but I'm really struggling with finger detangling. I'm just so not used to my hair not looking really smooth like it does after a TT. the third day after wash day is when the impulse is the worst, it feels like it's getting greasy AND it's messy.

I've got nearly a week in which I'm pretty proud of though..

NightSister
December 6th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Day 6: cinnabun topknot with bobble elastic, then ballet bun (for class)

Alysia
December 6th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Ok so I've been keeping to this but I'm really struggling with finger detangling. I'm just so not used to my hair not looking really smooth like it does after a TT. the third day after wash day is when the impulse is the worst, it feels like it's getting greasy AND it's messy.

Yay!
I know-when your hair is straight, anything less than perfectly smooth can feel messy. Maybe try a twisted or braided style that's meant to look a little messy?

TheCurlyMermaid
December 7th, 2017, 06:21 AM
Day 1: Two english braids bunned on the upper sides of my head.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/f1bfda457564efc83bdec5fd21dd1b42/tumblr_inline_p0ahzvtjC11spzibg_540.jpg

Detailed my wash day in my LHC Blog & tumblr as well!

Day 6, I ended up washing my hair on Night 5 because it hadn't been washed in a few days plus London air & all the travel I did, it was begging to be washed. So I did what is my new regimen, C-W-DT (Condition, wash, deep treatment) and I let it air dry. Applied a small amount of product afterwards, and then did my "Chun-Li" braids (as seen in the picture) because someone came up to me in the airport and told me my braids looked like Chun-Li's (Street Fighter game character). Took them down last night and slept with a pineapple bun and silk pillowcase.

Day 7, Finger detangled: English milkmaid braids.

Notes: I'm experiencing far less breakage, fewer issues with product build-up since my hair is braided and away, and hardly any tangles! My ends are loving OGX (post wash & dry) products: Coconut Miracle Oil penetrating oil, and Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum and I think I'm going to try to stick to trying my current products before buying anymore.

Jo Ann
December 7th, 2017, 06:52 AM
I'm still consciously remembering to finger-comb, especially at night when I comb my hair out. In the morning, when I take Youngest Dear Son to school, I'm doing it at traffic lights (isn't that what they're there for? :p ), which is a BIG help--gets the sleepy snarls out of the way before I bun later on :)

TheCurlyMermaid
December 7th, 2017, 07:36 AM

Congrats on making it this far!! Have you ever tried dry shampoo? (I hope that's not rude to ask- I don't know much about dry shampoos since my hair is curly and therefore doesn't appear greasy as quickly because it takes longer to travel down the shaft.) Alysia's idea sounds like a good one too! I hope it gets better!

Jas
December 7th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Yay!
I know-when your hair is straight, anything less than perfectly smooth can feel messy. Maybe try a twisted or braided style that's meant to look a little messy?

Actually that's a really good idea, going to try that on day three and see if that makes a difference :D

Congrats on making it this far!! Have you ever tried dry shampoo? (I hope that's not rude to ask- I don't know much about dry shampoos since my hair is curly and therefore doesn't appear greasy as quickly because it takes longer to travel down the shaft.) Alysia's idea sounds like a good one too! I hope it gets better!

Thanks for responding! Yeah actually I used to use it quite a bit, I'll have to have a rummage and try to find it. I have the blonde one though so it makes the roots lighter and my hair isn't blonde any more so I might need to buy a different version. Going to give this a go if the braided style isn't sufficient :D thanks for the idea.

Alysia
December 7th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Jas: cool beans! Let us know how it goes.
Day 7: Seashell bun with a wood fork.

peachyleshy
December 7th, 2017, 06:56 PM
I am going to do both! I planned to wear my hair up everyday which will be in a protective style. I will also try the finger combing which will be easier since it will be less tangled wearing it up. ;)

TheCurlyMermaid
December 8th, 2017, 07:22 AM
I am going to do both! I planned to wear my hair up everyday which will be in a protective style. I will also try the finger combing which will be easier since it will be less tangled wearing it up. ;)

Welcome!! Yes the finger detangling is much easier when you've been wearing protective styles! I hardly need to do detangle anymore!

Day 8: if I can find someone to do it for me; 2 dutch braids and a high braided bun!

RedStripe
December 8th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I actually already finger comb and wear protective styles every day so it's not a challenge for me but I voted just for fun! :)

Pretty much the same for me.

TheCurlyMermaid
December 11th, 2017, 05:15 AM
Day 8: ended up being my first 'cheat' day for protective styling. I was working at a gala film premiere and couldn't find anyone to do the dutch braids.
Day 9: Milkmaid braids
Day 10: High bun
Day 11: 2 dutch braids either into a high bun or a low bun.

pili
December 11th, 2017, 07:10 AM
A little late to the party, but I've been doing this all month already. I've made sure to wear my hair up, even if it's just an English braid, and only finger detangle. I definitely think the finger detangling is helping.

Alysia
December 11th, 2017, 07:25 AM
*Waves at everyone joining*
Day 8: Braided bun
Day 9: Milkmaid braids
Day 10: Rose bun, then milkmaid braids.
Day 11: Milkmaid braids
I think milkmaid braids may become my new winter go-to style. They do a good job of keeping my hair away from hoods and scarves.

NightSister
December 11th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Day 7: topknot w/ bobble elastic
Day 8: topknot w/ bobble elastic
Day 9: bun w/ copper fork
Day 10: bun w/ copper fork
Day 11: english braid

NightSister
December 11th, 2017, 09:20 AM
I think milkmaid braids may become my new winter go-to style. They do a good job of keeping my hair away from hoods and scarves.

Very smart Alysia! I may double dutch braid and clip them up tomorrow - my buns were taking a beating from the hood this weekend.

LadyCelestina
December 12th, 2017, 11:20 PM
Gaah I got lost on the day count but I did stick to the challenge, with one cheat day this Monday because... um...:O I was in a hurry and didn't put it up and then it just looked so good I left it down.

I mainly did English braids and yesterday I wore a cinnabun. I had two days this weekend where it just went from sleep braid to wash to down for drying to another sleep braid due to studying... I'm oh so creative :D

But now that I won't have school I'm hoping to do some nice styles.

TheCurlyMermaid
December 14th, 2017, 07:24 AM

Omg yes, that's exactly why I started! When I was in the UK earlier this month, my hair kept snagging on the (faux) fur on my jacket, and I could practically hear the snapping! I'm back home now so I don't have that particular issue anymore, but that's totally why I wore milkmaid braids so often!

TheCurlyMermaid
December 14th, 2017, 07:27 AM
I've also lost count of the days! haha but yes aside from the cheat day last friday, I've been good. Last night my stepmom did some dutch braids for me (heaven help me I can't do them myself, she's going to try to teach me) and I think they look SOO cute. I'll definitely post some pictures later.

Also, welcome to the challenge pili! :cheer::hifive:

Lanalavallama
December 14th, 2017, 09:47 AM
So far, so good. Haven't used any tools on this tangly head.

TheCurlyMermaid
December 18th, 2017, 01:57 AM
Wore the dutch braids until yesterday morning when I took them out and did a single english braid and then low-braided it! Tomorrow (Tuesday) is wash day!

TheCurlyMermaid
December 20th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Stuck to the challenge, I feel like I'm retaining SO much more hair now that I've put down my brush! I don't think I'll go back to it after this challenge (at least not often). Ended up not washing yesterday, washed today with a sulfate-shampoo since I hadn't washed in a week and I had been working outside in dirt and smoke on set for my short film over the weekend. So I used Herbal Essences Coconut Hydration shampoo, and then proceeded with my deep treatment routine as usual. Date night tonight, so I'm going to see if I can get someone to give me a Daenerys braided style (like the pyre braid) before I go.

Lanalavallama
December 26th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Well, I have come to the conclusion that detangling with a comb at least once a week is good for my hair.
I have stuck to the challenge (yay me!) but I have more ss knots.

I bought a comb that I tried on my sister's hair and it was very impressive. Can't wait to try it soon.

NightSister
December 27th, 2017, 06:10 AM
Still going strong. Have been alternating between LWB and a simple braid. I have learned my hair does not respond well to accent braids though :/ but better to know now so I can have a healthy 2018.

I have also tried finger detangling on several occasions but end up with frizzy hair.

TheCurlyMermaid
January 1st, 2018, 05:46 PM
We did it guys! I for one am so glad I decided to try this, because as it turns out, finger detangling wooorks for me! I doubt I'll use styling tools unless it's needed for a specific reason, like making parts in my hair or something. I feel like I have a lot more hair on my head, I used to lose SO much while detangling in the shower!

Happy New Year everyone! And happy growing/maintaining!