PDA

View Full Version : Demi color that’s not fading: what to do?

biene16
November 23rd, 2017, 10:06 PM
Hi everyone!

I used Ion’s demi hair color in the shade 6N (dark blonde) with a 10 vol developer and a 1:1 ratio about five weeks ago. I’ve used their demi color before in 7N and it washed out and faded significantly within three weeks but this time there’s no fading or anything. Because I used a 1:1 ratio it’s also more like a chocolate brown color and my natural color is blonde. Here’s a pic of what my hair looks now and what the color looks like compared to my roots: https://imgur.com/a/QFXZS

I wash my hair every day and I used a clarifying shampoo with Vit C by Tresemme for the last two weeks but nothing has changed. Should I just wait another five weeks and see if it’ll wash out by then? Is there anything else I could try to get it to fade?

Thanks! :)

akurah
November 23rd, 2017, 10:42 PM
I'm a little confused, are you deliberately trying to fade the hair color? If so...

What shampoos have you tried specifically?

Head and Shoulders is slightly notorious for making dye wash out easier, and is one of the gentler options out there. I would start washing hair with that for several washes.

I only see one picture, and that is the link. I don't see the other.

biene16
November 23rd, 2017, 10:59 PM
Yep that’s exactly what I want to do :) A demi isn’t permanent so last time I used one it just faded very fast and completely washed out so there were no roots if that makes sense. It’s supposed to last about a month but mine hasn’t faded at all yet or washed out and it’s been longer than a month, almost six weeks now.

The picture I attached is what my hair looks now so you can see my roots compared to the dye.

I’ll try head and shoulders! So far I’ve tried different clarifying shampoos and even a mix of vitamin C powder and clarifying shampoo but it didn’t strip the color

Rhoward
November 24th, 2017, 02:23 AM
It's holding in there alright isn't it! Have you tried soaking it overnight in coconut oil? Although if you've already tried vitamin C and didn't get any results then you might be wasting your time.

I'd go with a colour remover, one meant for dark colours - not that your hair is dark but its a lot darker than your natural colour.

I don't know what country you're in or what you have available but I like 'Colourless Hair Colour Remover Max Effect' its made for dark colours and does a good job and there is a lot of product in the package.

You'll be left with some shade of light orange probably, dont panic that's what's supposed to happen. Just dont dye it for about a month after doing it.

https://www.superdrug.com/Colourless/Colourless-Hair-colour-remover-Max-Effect/p/705718

lapushka
November 24th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Dye fading is dependent on 1 big factor, and that is how much you wash the hair, not the time that passes per sé. So how many times do you wash the hair? Weekly? Semi-weekly? It all depends on that. If it's only weekly, you can wait a long time! But since you wash daily, it *yes* most definitely should have faded by now.

From your picture... I don't see that much difference, yes I can see the roots if I look close enough, but I doubt this is very visible from just looking at you, or from a bigger distance. If it hangs around, I'd just wait and keep washing and keep growing it out. Messing with this will be a trip that is further from home, you won't be able to get a better solution.

So I'd follow the tip about the H&S and see what that does.

Also, have you been washing this out with a sulfate-free shampoo? Because that might be it, that is quite color-safe. But since you mentioned Tresemme, that's probably not likely...

It's a bit of a puzzle.

Jo Ann
November 24th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Something else I've heard for helping to strip color is Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.

Whatever method you choose, please don't forget to deep condition afterwards! Stuff like Color Oops! and the like (yes, even Dawn--if it's strong enough to "get grease out of your way™," one can only imagine what it will do to your hair) can be pretty rough on your hair.

OhSuzi
November 24th, 2017, 08:17 AM
I always find that a lot of demi / semi permanent dyes still have a small amount of peroxide / ammonia in as well as pigment dye - so this can mean that as the hair dye fades it will still remain a slightly different colour to your virgin hair.
I always think if you're not prepared to risk it & really like your virgin hair don't bother messing about with semi / demi permanent because they can still make a slight permanent change to your hair.

I would try just carry on washing it & give it a bit longer and give the pigment a chance to wash out.

As above head and shoulders is a gentle thing to try.

Other things people often recommend to try & strip some of the dye out - H & S mixed with - crushed vitamin C fizz tablet / washing up liquid

Or more extreme options - proper hair removal stuff like Colour Oops or Hair B4

Or a bleach bath

NOTE!!!

Even a semi /demi hair dye will have been mildly damaging (probably not that bad for a first go over virgin hair)

Vit C tablets / Wash up liquid might help, but is also a bit harsh & very drying
You'll want to condition your hair lots after.

Hair B4 / Colour Oops etc shrinks the pigment in the dyes - it definitely works at removing the colour - if you do it properly you need to follow the instructions for leaving it on then rinse & rinse & rinse & rinse & then just to be sure rinse some more and then rinse again!!!
& you should be able to do it yourself & apply to all your hair it'll only change the colour of the dyed part.

Draw backs - its normally pretty stinky stuff, if you dont rinse loads you might end up with patches of different shades of browny blond - If your original hair dye had ammonia in it will have permanently changed the colour of your hair, you may be able to remove all the brown pigment, and the colour will be closer to your natural hair, but there will still be a root line and slight difference in hair colour probably like a light reddy blonde.
Its also damaging and drying - you'd want to keep it well conditioned after using it & not stick any other dye type products on it.

Bleach Bath - just a watered down slightly gentler version of bleach - but still pretty harsh - you'll probably need a reasonably good hairdressing mate to do it for you if you want to be accurate about getting the closest to your natural colour & if you want them to not accidentally bleach your roots too. again damaging & drying.
& you might end up with yellow / orange / white bits if they weren't very good at controlling the colour.

Other options - get into the routine of dying your roots - you could try always dying just one shade lighter than your previously dyed hair each time the roots grow through, until eventually the dye very nearly matches the roots & then it can grow out

Go to hair dresser get highlights that match as close to your natural colour to try & break up the root line - again mildly damaging & possibly expensive & you'll need a hairdresser you can trust to execute this well

Take this as a sign to experiment more with your hair bleach it white dye it pink

Or Accept that the hair-dye will fade a bit more over time, its never gonna be exactly the same & your just gonna have to grow your roots out over the next few years. & rock the reverse ombre

akurah
November 24th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Yep that’s exactly what I want to do :) A demi isn’t permanent so last time I used one it just faded very fast and completely washed out so there were no roots if that makes sense. It’s supposed to last about a month but mine hasn’t faded at all yet or washed out and it’s been longer than a month, almost six weeks now.

The picture I attached is what my hair looks now so you can see my roots compared to the dye.

I’ll try head and shoulders! So far I’ve tried different clarifying shampoos and even a mix of vitamin C powder and clarifying shampoo but it didn’t strip the color

There's only one picture, and that is this one: https://imgur.com/a/QFXZS

I can't see any other picture.

Obsidian
November 24th, 2017, 09:41 AM
She only posted one picture, you can see the dyed hair and the natural root color.

I'd probably try color oops. Its always worked well for me even if it does stink, a lot. I've never had luck fading color with vit C or baking soda, it just dries my hair out. If you want to try head and shoulders, I think you need to leave it in your hair for like 30 minutes, not positive about that though.