PDA

View Full Version : Which do you get more of: compliments or criticism?

joyfulmom4
October 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I keep reading threads about how many critical and negative comments people get about their hair. I have definitely heard them myself, mostly from family. But I have to say that in general, the compliments far outweigh the criticisms. Just today, I had two compliments on my updo. And yesterday, I had two compliments on my hair when it was worn loose. The only negative comment was from my daughter, but then again, she's 11 and knows everything. She also told me my jacket was ugly and my new necklace looked like an "old lady" necklace. (kids :rolleyes:)

So, I have to ask, what do you think your ratio of positive to negative comments is? (I'd include the not-so-subtle hints and suggestions too, like the "it must be really heavy" or "don't you get headaches?" in the negatives).

I think even with the subtle negatives, it's still about 5:1 in favor of the long hair here. :) How 'bout you guys?

mommy101405
October 28th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I have been getting a lot of of the "oh your hair is getting long". But I am just between shoulder and bsl, which is long for me but not for strangers to rally take notice.

I've had one compliment (other than dh of course)

Nat242
October 28th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I don't think I've ever really received a negative comment. My sister once told me my ends looked a bit dry - I didn't take it as criticism, because they were :shrug:

mira-chan
October 28th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Neither. :D

I hardly receive any comments. I hardly wear my hair down. In general the things said whenever my hair is actually down is favorable. Mostly elderly relatives reminiscing.

Rain76
October 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I don't get negative or positive comments on my hair anymore. It is completely different than it was 5 years ago, and by different I mean bad:( I used to have thick, healthy, straight hair that fell halfway down my back. Then bad things started to happen, probably for various reasons, and it is now slightly past my shoulders, very split ended & fragile, thin, etc. Anyway, I am getting off the subject, sorry. Nobody ever says anything about my hair, but I know it looks awful. Even so, it is growing, and I will allow it to do so, no matter how ugly it looks.

Elphie
October 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I can't recall anything negative. I generally get compliments on hairstyles and the condition of my hair. All of them come from coworkers.

Chromis
October 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I only get compliments as well. I do get the occasional isn't that hard to take care of sort of question, but it is not asked in a negative way more as curiosity.

Curlsgirl
October 28th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I can't remember a negative comment either so yes compliments outweigh the other.

Magicknthenight
October 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I think i get more compliments.
More-so if my hair is loose but since i wear it up practically everyday so now not as much.
The last thing i remember was the locks of love comment but i don't remember someone saying something rude before that. Oh! My sister said it was frizzy -..- but it was humid and her idea of nice is UBER straightened. Then she said never mind its not :confused::confused::confused:
Compliments about my hair always seem to come in bunches.
I haven't got any in a while. People will say my hair-sticks look pretty but i don't think my buns are the way most people i know wear their hair.
my friend was telling me about her dream wedding with her BF and said she would do my hair and i couldn't wear *one of those buns*
WELL E_E i quite enjoy them TYVM
Sometimes when i wear my hair forks i wonder if any LHC member out there ever notices.
I'm sure if i wore it down to school i would get a lot of compliments because no one really knows how long my hair is since I've been wearing it up since summer.
I do love compliments though :D
They usually are the same ones but its all good:D

Anje
October 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I really haven't heard any negative ones yet, except along the lines that the speaker had trouble managing long hair, but not really implying that it would apply to me.

Many of the comments I get are just neutral: "you have long hair" and that sort of thing. I just smile and say thanks.

ETA: I'm only starting to get comments on the length, really. My hair is long, but not extraordinarily so, for my community. TO most people, I think I'm the "girl with red hair", not the "girl with long hair." The color tends to generate compliments, especially from old ladies reminiscing about when their hair was the same color mine is.

Aisha25
October 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well in my family and culture long hair is beautiful so no one ever say any bad or good to me I guess cause it is so common to us and strangers I never get from them cause hairs are always covered so people cant comment one way or another:D But I always get such beautiful kind lovely comments on here and another forum I am on so I love it very much:cloud9:

gdimoonbeam
October 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I've had complements both good and creepy. When I get the locks of love comments I take it as projection, that person would only grow their hair long if they were going to donate it so I must be too.

vindo
October 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I do get a lot of comments and reactions.

They are either very good and nice or very bad and weird.

Good: your hair is pretty, long, healthy, shiney, nice color, what do you use, any advice, how do you get it this straight...

Bad: Its too long, thin, borderline weird, get extenions to add fullness, cut it really short..

The negative ones are always full of passionate hatred..at least thats how it feels.

The good comments outweight bad ones in public when random people sometimes compliment me on my hair.
Bad ones are mostly received over the net or (female) coworkers.

sahiba
October 28th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Frankly, I am so conscious about my hair that I rarely leave it open ... so I get neither.

Katahdin
October 28th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Mostly positive comments, but then, my hair is only waist length, which is long but not all that unusual (in the outside world. In the LHC world, I still feel like a shortie :)). Who knows, maybe it will change once it gets longer.

Masara
October 28th, 2008, 11:58 PM
My hair is barely BSL, so I'm not going to get comments about it being too long quite yet. In fact, I don't think I've ever had (or noticed, at least) a negative comment. When people do say something about it getting long, it's usually said with a positive tone of voice.

When I do get compliments, they are mostly about my updos rather than the length, condition... of my hair. I think LHC people are more likely to notice that sort of thing.

vampodrama
October 29th, 2008, 01:01 AM
we estonians generally avoid making compliments because that might leave other people with the impression that we actually like something... :p but I get comments sometimes. especially about updos or styles which are very uncommon here - like hairsticks or dutch braids (seriously, they're unheard of). usually it's just "oh, that's interesting, how do you do this?"

my grandmother, however, who is 90 years old and can freely speak her mind will not shut up about how ugly, thin and pointless my hair is. well, I could never do anything she's approve of, so I don't pay much attention to her :)

Finoriel
October 29th, 2008, 01:43 AM
My hair is mostly up and mostly ignored :wink: , but in general I get more compliments and positive questions about updos and colour, products and "how to"-things or itīs length, shine and smoothness on the rare occasions others can see the length. In general the feedback is very positive.
There are also those who are just curious about it, because they never saw hair that long and ask a million questions like how long it took to grow it, if I ever trim, how much time I need in the morning, how heavy it it, how long it takes to blow dry, which flatiron I use, etc. I either answer those, which usually ends in surprised looking faces or if Iīm not in the mood to lecture about my personal grooming habits, I tell them itīs the top secret of my personal longhair-sect and Iīm not allowed to tell! *bwahaha*
The few negative things I heard through the years have mostly been snippy comments about cutting, perming or colouring it because itīs soo long that you can not do anything with it and it must be boring :bigtongue: it looks like itīs flat ironed (1a naturally) thatīs why I obviously need to perm it and flatiron it on occasion of course :lol: and itīs too red :rolleyes: obviously any other colour than my own is better. Aah opinions of others :pumpkin: the good thing is we do not need to listen :wink:

I guess the reason for many people to report more of the negative things they get to hear is, that those comments are too hilarious and dumb to not share them :p and I for my part do not talk much about my hair IRL so here would be the only place to complain and laugh about the latest "styling recommendation" I got without asking for it.

Starr
October 29th, 2008, 01:45 AM
These days I just get neutral statements. Like:

"You wear your hair up a lot."
Or
"You have really long hair."

To which the response is a simple, "Yes, I do."

On the occasions that I do wear my hair down, I generally tend to get more compliments than criticisms. . . but of course there's also the rare way-to-creepy-to-be-considered-a-compliment type of comments that make me immediately put my hair up and run away. In all the good still outweighs the bad but YMMV.

Chanterelle
October 29th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I can't recall any criticism. well, my mom keeps saying I should trim my hair more often to make it grow faster but I really don't consider such comments negative.

I get many compliments about curls and that I look better with longer hair.

Actually I'm very surpised to read many of you hear negative comments. To me, any negative comments about someone's look (unless specifically asked for advice/comment) are uncalled for. It's like "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything".

ravenreed
October 29th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I only get good comments about my hair. I think that someone who would make a negative one about something that someone has gone to great lengths to grow is a bit of a cad. Unless it's family... they get away with everything!

Carolyn
October 29th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I think the reason why the positive comments out weigh the negative is that people don't all that often express negative thoughts. They are following the "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything" rule. If I think someone looks nice or has a nice hairstyle, I'll compliment them but if I think something looks awful of course I won't say anything.

If I get a comment it's from another woman and it's on a particular style, usually a bun or a braid or it's a comment on a hair toy. I'm surprised I don't get more comments on my hair toys but maybe people don't really notice them. I get compliments on clothes all the time, especially my bags. I never get comments of any kind from family and friends.

crystal_89
October 29th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I get a lot more compliments than cristicism, usually on the length and style of my haircut. I also get shiny and soft compliments and compliments on the wavyness of my hair from my Asian friends with straight hair. The only people who criticise my hair are my mum (who says my hair is too long, but her hair is almost as long as mine) and my best friend who says my hair is too thick and gross and I need to get a bob. Then she starts talking about how she wants to grow her hair long but only wants healthy hair... but her hair is more damaged from dying and heat styling than mine. Go figure.

Siava
October 29th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I get nothing. It's usually up.

ChloeDharma
October 29th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I get more compliments i guess. I don't really get a huge amount of either though, on here i get colour compliments. Before i cut my hair i never wore it down when i was out, um, i never got insults as such but my sisters were quite "that really would look nicer if you chopped it back to a thicker point" but in the end i agreed with them. There wasn't bitchyness involved though and i did usually ask their opinion.
Since cutting i've only had compiments....in fact one of my sisters who is hyper-critical even made a surprise comment that my hair was in "VERY good condition" recently which actually stunned me at the time. My other sister is always complimenting the condition and asking for treatment advice.
I had a nice compliment from a male friend recently, well, quite a few but the one that really sticks in my head is when we were walking along and he said that my hair doesn't look all styled like most girls it's just natural and looks much nicer because of it. That one i really liked.

Islandgrrl
October 29th, 2008, 06:58 AM
More positive than negative, I'd have to say. But the negative ones seem to have more impact, maybe because they're SO negative.

Alun
October 29th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Mostly compliments, mostly from black women who are strangers, and nearly always from women. Sometimes I get comments from men who say they would like to have long hair but can't for some reason. Other long-haired guys just smile or give a 'peace' sign if they are strangers passing in the street, if that, or if I actually know them they don't comment atall, unless it's to say something silly and ironic like 'damned hippie', LOL!

Sometimes short haired guys give me a 'peace' sign, so I just do the same back, even though I suspect they are taking the mickey, but it seems harmless, regardless of whether they are smiling or merely smirking. They just think it's funny, because they think I'm still living in the '60s or something.

My mum is the one who makes all the negative comments (seems to be a theme here?). She says my dad doesn't like it either, but he doesn't usually say anything. The nearest he got to a comment was about when he was comparing notes with another man whose son had green hair and was in his 30s, and they were both surprised their sons hadn't 'grown out of it', LOL! I think he only mentionned that because it was funny. Growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional.

Negative comments that aren't from my mum are rare, and are usually from bald men, although even the vast majority of those don't make any comments. OTOH, I am sure that I have been turned down for jobs because of long hair, but they never say that's the reason. Silent disapproval is more common than actual negative comments, but you can still feel it.

ale
October 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I mostly wear my hair in a bun lately, but when it's down I get a lot of compliments, all from women, that usually go like this:
"I wish I could grow my hair like that" (variation: "I WANT hair like that!")
Me, with a big smile: "It's easy, just do it!"
"Oh no, mine wouldn't grow!"
Me: "????"
I think that most comments come because I am a guy, and a guy with very long (I'm a little past tailbone, not "very long" for LHC standard but veeeery long for "out there" standard!) and healthy hair is a rare beast here; we have many of the "average-BSL-all-time-ponytailed" species, though.

The only negatives came from my parents; funny enough, not for the appearance but for the principle. An example is my mother saying: "If you were a girl, you'd have beautiful hair".
What?

heidihug
October 29th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Silent disapproval is more common than actual negative comments, but you can still feel it.
I can understand how that would be more common when directed at a guy, Alun, but just to let you know, I get that too. A lot. Especially from people at work, or when I'm shopping. I can feel the looks, the stares, catch glimpses of the eye-rolls and sneers behind my back. I know I am considered way too old to have longer-than-the-norm hair by some of my coworkers. Either that, or they just think I'm a weirdo because I wear my hair in a vast array of updos with sticks and forks and such.

Eh, let 'em. I don't exert any energy towards worrying about other people's hair, if other people do, they obviously don't have enough to be concerned with in their own lives.

Periwinkle
October 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I've only really had negative comments along the lines of 'you should cut your hair off because you never wear it down'.

Other than that, I've only had positives :D

spidermom
October 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I get indifference more than anything.

harpgal
October 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM
As long as I stay away from my mother, I rarely hear anything negative. But I wear my hair in updos most of the time, so the usual snarky female just does not notice it. (You know the routine....hair down = competition, hair up = no competition.) :rolleyes:

joyfulmom4
October 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM
The only negatives came from my parents; funny enough, not for the appearance but for the principle. An example is my mother saying: "If you were a girl, you'd have beautiful hair".
What?

I only partly agree with your mother. You have beautiful hair regardless of your gender. :rolleyes:

Moms. Gotta love 'em. I love mine; admire her, enjoy her company, respect her, etc. Just wish she'd keep her opinion of my hair to herself.

How odd that so many of us get criticism mainly from our families. I suppose the rest of folks who have negative opinions probably keep them to themselves. Which is what they should do.

meganb990
October 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM
As far as strangers they tended to compliment me when I had longer hair (BSL Length) but family usually criticized me for it for one reason or another. I find it funny how I never told anyone in my family what to do with their hair but they always had something to say about mine kind of strange. Now that I've cut my hair shorter to a chin length bob and side sweept bangs I don't hear as many compliments and my family says I should grow it to my shoulders but stop there :p. It's funny how they want it longer now I've given up trying to satisfy them. But my hubby misses my long hair and so do I so I'm trying to grow it longer, hopefully waist length ;).

Tashomani
October 29th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I get things like......wow your hair has gotten so long! and your hair looks so thick and healthy!

Stagecoach
October 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I mostly get compliments. I think it helps that I usually work alone, or am the only girl working at my job so people feel more comfortable mentioning my hair than if I was working with a gaggle of 'em!

ETA: It is always up though. When it's down I very rarely have anyone compliment me to my face, but I hear all sorts of comments behind my back!

Forever_Sophie
October 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I guess I've been lucky, too, just compliments.

RavennaNight
October 29th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I would say about half-half. Most of my positive comments come from strangers while out or customers at my work who barely know me. I had some guy comeup to me once and say "I used to have hair like that and used to be able to do that too!" Thats when I realized I had been fluffing and tossing hair profusely because it was the summer and it was hot and had no scrunchie or claw. Then there was the wierdo (in my blog) that approached me 2 times in a span of 2 years and said "Hi you like metal? I like your hair. What's your name?" :run:

The negatives mostly come from the older shorthaired ladies I work with. (no surprise there) "Doesnt it bother you?" or "I miss your bob."

NightDaemon
October 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
On the motherly side of things, the only negative comments I've had were when I really wasn't taking care of it in my pre-LHC days. Now that it's almost how it should be, she's tending towards the compliments. Hooray for a former classic length mother. Dad makes occasional ribbon comments, but he's just joking around with that, and I get him back with similar comments for his beard, which has been to APL itself from time to time.

kmoc123
October 29th, 2008, 07:40 PM
More positive for sure!!!

kschr2004
October 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I really don't get any comments, unless I talk about cutting it off because it's bothering me. Then my guy friends all start to freak out and tell me it's too nice to cut.

I don't really hear much from other women on my hair one way or the other.

Amara
October 30th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I've gotten far more compliments than criticisms.

Vitalai
October 30th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I get compliments from my relatives and friends, but my mom always has something negative to say. When I decided to get bangs, she told me to go for it and that it would look nice. A few days later, she yells at me to clip them out of the way, because they were making me look like a slob. When my hair was BSL length, she dragged me to the hairdresser, because it was weighing my face down and made me look tired. Then again, she does have a chin-length bob. :rolleyes:

LadyGunn
October 30th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Most of my comments are regarding my hair sticks - a custom Eowyn hair sword from Night Blooming, a rose stick from longhairgirl.com & a sword letter opener. Yes, I wear all 3 at once.

The only negatives are from my mom & sister, both of whom now have shoulder length or shorter. They both think it's too long. The other day my sister said to chop it off since it was so dry - I had been in 140 degree heat in the Hell scene at our church's Judgement House production for hours & fake blood had been scrunched into it, so no, it wasn't looking it's best at that moment. (I didn't scrunch the fake blood into it on purpose, it was just all over my hands & when I was acting, it ended up in my hair.)

As far as compliments go, I've had several messages from people who have seen my profile pic on facebook. One fella wanted pictures when I said I don't accept friends I don't know in real life. Although, that may be more creepy than complimentary... :draw: One girl at work gave me a side hug when I had my hair in a braid & then asked if she could pet it since it was so soft. Ummm, no thank you. My niece wanted me to chop it off so that she could have it. :lol: She's growing hers out. It's just past shoulder & she has to show me how long it's grown, even when I just saw her 2 days before.

Koskaan
October 30th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Almost all comments I get are neutral. Something like, "Oh, your hair is long." My usual response is (depending on how familiar I'm with the commenter) "Yeah, it is" or "Oh really? I haven't even noticed!"

One of the funniest comments I've heard is "With your hair down and without your glasses you look like a little child." And this coming from an expert, a 7-year-old little girl. :D

vampodrama
October 30th, 2008, 02:11 AM
what I especially like is when people state something painfully obvious. one day I turned up at the office with bun curls. about 6 or 7 people felt the need to exclaim "oh my, you have curls!"

to which I could only reply "what, really? omg, where did those come from?"

psimons
October 30th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Before I got my haircut in the spring (stupid, stupid), I got a compliment everytime I went to town, mostly from ladies my age and older. The only negative comments I ever got were from family. What's up with that?

GlassEyes
October 30th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Compliments, as far as real life goes.

I expect that to fade somewhat as I gain length.

joyfulmom4
October 30th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Compliments, as far as real life goes.

I expect that to fade somewhat as I gain length.

I would have to say that as I have gained length, I've received more of both types of comments, positive and negative. And a lot more of the neutral observation type comments. I think the longer (and therefore more unusual) your hair gets, the more comments you'll hear of all kinds.

GlassEyes
October 30th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I would have to say that as I have gained length, I've received more of both types of comments, positive and negative. And a lot more of the neutral observation type comments. I think the longer (and therefore more unusual) your hair gets, the more comments you'll hear of all kinds.

Well, my hair seems to draw a lot of attention now, even at it's relatively short length, but I hear more positives than negatives, if I hear negatives at all (which I know people think, I just haven't had the privilege of hearing them yet). Since I want to grow to at least BSL and, eventually, classic, I expect to hear more negatives then, since people tend to be more vocal on their opinions of male long hair once it's noticeably gained length.

It's one of the reasons I've rarely mentioned to people how long I'm growing my hair.

rymorg2
October 30th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I always get more complements the longer my hair is. And I always get the "Is that your hair or extensions" question. Even from other stylists.

The biggest criticism I get in my family is from my grandmother, who prescribes to the "If you're over 30 you're too old for long hair" rule. But the worst one I got was from another stylist/manager of another of our salons. I manage mine, and at our managers meeting after I cut my hair (I didn't tell anyone I was going to do it, just did it) she said "Yeah, you needed to get rid of the Pentacostal look." I was furious! (If you're pentacostal please don't be offended by that, it's a direct quote of what she said.)

eta luckily she doesn't work for the company anymore HOORAY so this time around I won't get it from her at least!

LadyMoon11
October 30th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I receive far more positive comments than negative.
Most of the comments are regarding my hair color, since I normally wear my hair up when I am out. I usually mention that the hair color is from henna, and that answer is typically met with questioning looks/confusion, since many people are not familiar with henna. If desired, I explain.

When I do wear my hair down, I hear a lot of comments from children or men - though they do not always speak directly to me. I get a lot of looks from women..... I sense it at least..... I try not to notice :silly: I get the hair extensions questions a lot from women.

Negative comments are usually only from people who have a very trendy look and they ask why I do not update, or tell me how cute my hair would look in a Pob or Bob. I had one once- I hated it!
People I used to know- i.e. former high school mates- ask me why I still look the same as I did in high school- hair all once length and long. Obviously because that is how I like it!? :D

Lady Godiva
October 30th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Definitely more compliments than criticisms. :cool:

MissMaryMac
October 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I think I get more compliments than criticisms. Mostly though, no one really comments on my hair, except my husband. He used to like it long, but lately in the last year or so he has been making subtle comments about getting it cut shorter and into a more trendy style.

Buddaphlyy
October 30th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Compliments. Not many people say anything really about my hair, but when they do, it is usually positive.

Lady Godiva
October 30th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Mostly compliments, mostly from black women who are strangers, and nearly always from women. Sometimes I get comments from men who say they would like to have long hair but can't for some reason. Other long-haired guys just smile or give a 'peace' sign if they are strangers passing in the street, if that, or if I actually know them they don't comment atall, unless it's to say something silly and ironic like 'damned hippie', LOL!My husband gets the same reactions, peppered with lots of "Hon," "Baby" and "Sugar," especially from older African American women. He's an extrovert, so loves it.

Peace, man. :cool: :rockerdud

Medvssa
October 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I do get some compliments on my curls... followed by questions like: why don't I iron it? LOL bizarre.
I do not get much criticism. Anyone that knows me a little bit knows that this sort of thing is not welcome.

Crinita
October 30th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I can't remember getting any negative comments... usually they are either neutral (e.g. "Wow! Your hair is long!") or complimentary. I find that I have quite a few requests to touch my hair/braid here as of late... particularly when the questioner finds out that it is, indeed, my hair and not 'fake'.

Pax,
Crinita

SweetPea88
October 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I don't think I've had any negative comments from anyone. I have a friend who keeps saying its getting sooo long, but I know that's because she's frustrated and trying to grow out a pixie cut.

Elainehali
October 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
It seems I get two positive comments a day. (usually on the color YAY henna!)

Then I'm either NOT getting negative comments or they aren't sticking. The only one I can recall is a girl who sits infront of me in speech class. She has lovely red curled hair, and wondered out loud why ANYONE would dye their hair red.

poor girl is a self-loathing ginger!

Raven69
October 31st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Because I am in the military, we are required to wear it in a bun, so at the end of the day or even during the day when I let my hair down from the bun, all the guys get excited and everyones like 'WOW, I didn't know your hear is THAT long!'. Then I have a co-worker who is a civilian and wears her long hair down all the time and we compare notes. I go to visit her at the end of the day and she plays with it seeing its growth. Just this year my hair went from the top of my bottom now past my bottom to my thighs.

At work, the girls with short hair too short to put in a bun flip their hair whenever I am near...I think its because they can flip their hair when they are in uniform and do it to 'make me mad?' because I can't cause mine's in a bun??? I dunno...and I have seen some girls with shorter hair play with their hair when I get near and I take my hair down from its messy bun and play with it, the girls then look in the other direction, its funny. I get alot of attention from guys with it, but I guess you could also say its not just from my hair but also my...bottom, lol. This one friend I have, her boyfriend has a thing for the 'medieval times thingies' and nearly had a heart attack when he saw my long hair. :shocked:

I do get a lot of 'doesn't it make your head hurt?' 'doesn't that take a long time to take care of?'. Also when I say I have a headache, 'is your hair too tight in that bun?' 'is it heavy'? Of course I get haters saying that my bun is too thick and not in regulations or that my hair is messy. I just shrug them all off, most are only jealous anyways! :spam:

Sorry, I tend to ramble...mostly I get compliments - or at least that is what I think.:eyebrows:

sneakybea
November 1st, 2008, 05:18 AM
I can't say that I remember getting any negative comments about my hair. I sense that my sister doesn't like it, and my mom teases me about it all the time, but I just think she's the type who likes short hair (well, and to bug me). But no one has said anything out loud, and while I don't get a ton of compliments, I do get some. So I choose to believe that means I have nice hair!

Jorja
November 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
I get the usual ambiguous 'your hair is long'. And lots of 'have you coloured your hair' me - 'no' them - 'oh.' Its like people need to comment on your hair even if they have nothing to say.

I have some positive comments on the colour, which is redder than my avatar from the persistant henna colouring. So technically, I should say I have coloured my hair when they ask lol. But why make it easy for them :p

neon-dream
November 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Depends on whether people love or hate red hair
People who love it give me loaads of compliments on it, but people who hate red hair are like 'it'd be nice if it was a different colour'
But most people seem to like it, so it's all good :)
xxx

newport
November 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
I get all different kinds of remarks after growing out my very short short hair the last 5 years. Most are positive- that my hair is beautiful or that it makes me look younger. Some people just say- "oh- you grew out your hair" and that is it. That I take as a negative. Actually the most comments I ever got from customers where I work was when I went from blond to my more natural light brown color. I heard for a year and a half about my hair color change- they just could not get over it! It really bugged me.....

blondecat
November 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
I feel blessed, I do get far more compliments than negatives.

Arniky
November 2nd, 2008, 01:17 AM
usually get both positive & negative, may be more positives

naomimcc
November 2nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
My hair is mostly up and mostly ignored :wink: , but in general I get more compliments and positive questions about updos and colour, products and "how to"-things or itīs length, shine and smoothness on the rare occasions others can see the length. In general the feedback is very positive..

Same here. However, nobody really talks about it since they all know how I feel about my hair. :)

1953Diygal
November 2nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
I definitely get more compliments. I cannot recall ever getting a negative hair comment. There was this one time---and I chuckled about it for days afterward----a woman I have known for five years now (and see on a daily basis) told me she'd always assumed that my hair was extensions. It's just funny because, since we work together, she's watched my hair gradually grow from SL to almost-waist. Wouldn't extensions have been a little more obvious??

Speckla
November 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
I get more compliments now that I've stopped relaxing and using a flat iron. My hair looks shiny and healthier too boot. :cheese:
________
Spirit (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/AMC_Spirit)