PDA

View Full Version : Helmets and hairstyles

teal
November 20th, 2017, 11:41 AM
What is everyone's go-to hairstyle for wearing hair under a helmet? I see a lot of cyclists are using braids, but I am finding I need something that will keep my hair more protected. I am thinking about a braided bun at the nape anchored with spin pins.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 20th, 2017, 11:44 AM
That should do it! Or a Hypno bun.

cheeky
November 20th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Invisible helmet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFB_nPxPck0) is my only option. My hair is too thick and even extra large helmets are so tight they induce a headache.

Jo Ann
November 20th, 2017, 07:39 PM
I knew a lady who had a laced leather braid cover to protect her CL hair when she rode her Harley.

She would braid her hair, set it inside the cover, then pull the cover's laces tight (think "corset" for braids). It resembled a laced tube.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Hair-Glove-Laced-Biker-Accessory/dp/B001G6Y9X6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1511231778&sr=8-1-fkmr0 If you have a friend who's talented in leatherwork, you could have one made.

akurah
November 20th, 2017, 08:27 PM
I use a pony scrub.

Alex Lou
November 21st, 2017, 12:26 AM
I do an off center low bun with a spin pin.

teal
November 21st, 2017, 01:51 PM
I knew a lady who had a laced leather braid cover to protect her CL hair when she rode her Harley.

She would braid her hair, set it inside the cover, then pull the cover's laces tight (think "corset" for braids). It resembled a laced tube.

I see how this could work, but I don't think my hair is thick enough to keep that on! It might become a projectile weapon! :lol:

Invisible helmet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFB_nPxPck0) is my only option. My hair is too thick and even extra large helmets are so tight they induce a headache.

Wow, this is interesting! I've never seen this on anyone before.

I should have mentioned that I need to wear a hard helmet for contact sports. :lol: I tried putting my hair in a low bun but I made the mistake of only using a single spin pin because I did my hair in a hurry. The bun was barely hanging on even after redoing it a couple of times. Next time I will certainly use at least two! :eek:

I'm not sure I like the feeling of a bun at the nape of the neck, either. I usually wear my hair up near the crown. I suppose if a low bun ends up being the best solution then I'll just have to get used to it.

stachelbeere
November 21st, 2017, 02:15 PM
Tbh, buns don't work for me... Only a braid does. Also my nape gets really sweaty :/

2gaits
November 21st, 2017, 04:00 PM
I wear a helmet when horseback riding. Usually I leave my hair down but it isn't that long. A low ponytail or braid works. I wear a ball cap once the helmet is off.

melesine
November 21st, 2017, 04:14 PM
I'd do my usual french twist.

Kitke
November 22nd, 2017, 01:01 AM
I braid my hair for cycling and horseback riding, it's not ideal for the ends but even very low buns haven't worked for me in the past. I'm wondering now though if a very low beebutt bun might avoid the helmet displacement issues that other buns cause?

teal
November 22nd, 2017, 11:39 AM
I braid my hair for cycling and horseback riding, it's not ideal for the ends but even very low buns haven't worked for me in the past. I'm wondering now though if a very low beebutt bun might avoid the helmet displacement issues that other buns cause?

Yea, I'm finding I have the same experience. My problem is that I don't have a lot of hair to begin with, so I don't have much to lose! I'm already noticing more tassel damage and I don't want to have to trim soon.

Tbh, buns don't work for me... Only a braid does. Also my nape gets really sweaty :/

This is the other problem - I have a low hairline, and I'm working up a sweat! :lol:

I think my hair is too long for a bee butt bun to sit comfortably. I wondered about making an oblong bun, but I usually hold those with hairsticks and those are a definite no-go for contact sport... if anyone's got ideas and/or experience, I'm all eyes and ears! :cheese:

trolleypup
November 22nd, 2017, 08:03 PM
I use a pony scrub.
Me too. Bombproof.

I like the full protection for the hair, and the fabric tends to wick away some of the sweat.

teal
November 23rd, 2017, 01:25 PM
I use a pony scrub.

I wonder if I can get one thin enough that it wouldn't bother me under my helmet... :hmm:

MlleMC
November 24th, 2017, 08:40 AM
I normally wear a braid or a low ponytail with elastics every foot or so under my bike helmet. I'll probably need to find a better solution next year though, the ends might be coming dangerously close to the wheels.

Depending on the shape and size of your helmet, you might be able to do a French braid and insert the end under it. I know it's a little tight with my hair, but since yours is thinner, maybe it could work?

Simsy
November 24th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Adding my 2 cents worth, I do 2 Dutch braids and wrap them around my head like milkmaid braids. I have to wear hard hats for most of my deliveries at work, and I need to wear a broad brimmed hat when in the yard. The braids compress down quite well, but I have done 4 braids before in the same way for more compression.

trolleypup
November 27th, 2017, 06:08 PM
I wonder if I can get one thin enough that it wouldn't bother me under my helmet... :hmm:
Their fabrics do vary a bit. Most of them are about the fabric weight of a cotton mens dress shirt. A couple of mine are a bit lighter weight, but not sold or labeled as such.

ladycaladium
November 28th, 2017, 05:51 AM
My hair isn't really thick or long enough to cause issues, but I usually bun it and throw on some kind of protection - a buff, ski mask type thing (I forget the name), or a knit hat - between me and the helmet. This keeps my hair from getting rubbed by the helmet.

teal
November 28th, 2017, 03:51 PM
I did a low braided bun with three spin pins this time :lol: and this time everything stayed put! If I come across a reasonably-priced buff I will pick one up, but for now I think this will work just fine. Less damage than a braid, and not quite as annoying as other low buns in the past. I'll call this a win! :thumbsup:

teal
November 28th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Their fabrics do vary a bit. Most of them are about the fabric weight of a cotton mens dress shirt. A couple of mine are a bit lighter weight, but not sold or labeled as such.

Good to know - I'll keep an eye out!

macherie
December 3rd, 2017, 11:51 PM
In North of Vietnam many of the ethnic women wear their hair in a big bun on top of the head - they've even designed a special helmet to accommodate this traditional style.
https://i.imgur.com/XmNaI1T.jpg

teal
December 4th, 2017, 04:19 PM
^^ Wow, that's amazing! I've never seen anything like it! :eek:

I would have thought there would be some kind of design that would accommodate a non-low ponytail, but I suppose there's not enough demand here for such a design to bother putting money into it.