PDA

View Full Version : Long hair + pets stories?

Alysia
November 19th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Do your pets notice your hair or your hair toys?
When she was still a kitten, my cat used to try to lick my damp hair dry while I was sleeping. I kept waking up with these crazy cowlicks on top of my head, and I couldn’t figure out what they were from until I woke up once while she was doing it. I think she eventually decided that if I was crazy enough to get wet I was just going to have to deal with it myself because it was too much work to dry me off.
We also have to battle to keep our elastics for being used as cat toys, and sometimes if a hair stick is interesting they will try to pull it right out of the bun.

akurah
November 19th, 2017, 05:32 PM
My late cat used to make nests in my hair if i laid on the floor with him.

My roommate's dog will tug on my braids sometimes. He does it less now as I teach him he is not allowed to put his mouth on me. I think he understands my hair is still me.

Beeboo123
November 19th, 2017, 06:00 PM
My cat definitely noticed the hairs trailing out of her butthole, that had pieces of poop stuck to them like beads on a necklace. She would yowl at me when that happened, until i pulled it out and cleaned her up.

Anje
November 19th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Definitely. One of my reasons for starting to wear a sleep bonnet was because when she was younger, my cat Freya would hold down my braid, grab the tassel in her teeth, and rip it upward! She was determined to shred my hair as I tried to sleep. She's now showing her age and my hair is short, and instead she's taken to licking my head like I'm just one more cat friend.

Her brother Linus is obsessed with my Tangle Teezer. For the moment, it's his. I'll get a new one when I need a brush again.

AZDesertRose
November 20th, 2017, 02:09 AM
If I have my hair down (loose, ponytailed, braided), my cat thinks that my hair is a cat toy. (Because all the world's a cat toy; that's why it's round!)

I also had a cat years ago who used to snuggle up next to my head when I went to bed and purr us both to sleep. The only real downside of that behavior was that he would do the milk-tread ("kneading/making biscuits") thing and I'd wake up with a colossal snarl!

LizzyGrant
November 20th, 2017, 03:57 AM
My kitten likes my hair a bit too much. At first I couldn't wear it down at all, she got so excited when she saw it. I woke up in the middle of a night because she was playing with my braid, chasing and biting it. Thanfully this happens a little less nowadays, I think she's used to my hair & couple months older but I really should get a sleep bonnet just in case.

Nique1202
November 20th, 2017, 04:14 AM
My cat definitely noticed the hairs trailing out of her butthole, that had pieces of poop stuck to them like beads on a necklace. She would yowl at me when that happened, until i pulled it out and cleaned her up.

My two cats don't care for the hair on my head or my hair toys, but one of them (my mischievous younger one) likes to eat any sheds he finds and, well, this is what happens. It scares the daylights out of him, he runs and cries in a panic until they fall off or I can grab him by the tail and remove them. :no::shake::no::shake:

Alysia
November 20th, 2017, 07:29 AM
My late cat used to make nests in my hair if i laid on the floor with him.

My roommate's dog will tug on my braids sometimes. He does it less now as I teach him he is not allowed to put his mouth on me. I think he understands my hair is still me.
How sweet!
Glad the dog is learning his manners. ;)

Definitely. One of my reasons for starting to wear a sleep bonnet was because when she was younger, my cat Freya would hold down my braid, grab the tassel in her teeth, and rip it upward! She was determined to shred my hair as I tried to sleep. She's now showing her age and my hair is short, and instead she's taken to licking my head like I'm just one more cat friend.

Her brother Linus is obsessed with my Tangle Teezer. For the moment, it's his. I'll get a new one when I need a brush again.
Aww! For chewing or carrying as a trophy?

If I have my hair down (loose, ponytailed, braided), my cat thinks that my hair is a cat toy. (Because all the world's a cat toy; that's why it's round!)

I also had a cat years ago who used to snuggle up next to my head when I went to bed and purr us both to sleep. The only real downside of that behavior was that he would do the milk-tread ("kneading/making biscuits") thing and I'd wake up with a colossal snarl!
Yes-if we didn't want it to be a cat toy, why grow it so long and tempting, right? Was the snarl worth the snuggling? :)

My kitten likes my hair a bit too much. At first I couldn't wear it down at all, she got so excited when she saw it. I woke up in the middle of a night because she was playing with my braid, chasing and biting it. Thanfully this happens a little less nowadays, I think she's used to my hair & couple months older but I really should get a sleep bonnet just in case.
Aww! Sounds like a good plan.

My two cats don't care for the hair on my head or my hair toys, but one of them (my mischievous younger one) likes to eat any sheds he finds and, well, this is what happens. It scares the daylights out of him, he runs and cries in a panic until they fall off or I can grab him by the tail and remove them. :no::shake::no::shake:
Wow, that sounds like lots of no fun. *knocks on wood* Never happened with mine, but I'm going to be more careful with sheds from now on.

lithostoic
November 20th, 2017, 07:31 AM
My cat Vlad likes to grab my hair with his paws and violently rub his face in it.

AZDesertRose
November 20th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Yes-if we didn't want it to be a cat toy, why grow it so long and tempting, right? Was the snarl worth the snuggling? :)

Yes, but I didn't have it very long in those days; it tended to hover between shoulder and BSL, so it wasn't as big a problem as I'd find it today.

Also, I loved that cat so much and would have forgiven him anything. He was a real sweetheart. :inlove:

The only time he ever scratched anyone in his life was when he was riding around on my shoulders (a habit he formed as a kitten, when he still fit on just one shoulder) and slipped and raked my back (ow) trying not to fall; I couldn't even be angry, because he didn't mean to hurt me at all. Not a mean bone in that cat's body. He never bit anyone on purpose either; he'd occasionally miss a treat and nip the fingers of the person feeding him the treat, but it was never a hard bite or anywhere near intentional.

gustavonut
November 20th, 2017, 08:15 AM
My sweet kitten Bob loved to lay on my hair while I was sleeping and he would even dig into it and sort of lay under it like a blanket until he was a bit older. Then he would just lay on my chest or stomach which would wake me up immediately :o
I miss him so much, he was the best.

lapushka
November 20th, 2017, 08:31 AM
My first cat when she was able to jump up on the bed (hospital bed) used to drape herself over my head. I never went to sleep with wet hair at that point and it was fine. She then just slept right in front of me.

My great-grandma had a cat and I remember vividly her being in the crib with me. My grandma always got angry when great-grandma let that happen, but I remember so much warmth. :)

AspenSong
November 20th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Our 5 month old puppy likes to try to grab my hair in his mouth if it's down, or chew on my bun/hair stick. The cats are the worst offenders. The two males will happily try to eat it and they LOVE to try to steal hair sticks out of my hair or bite them.

Zebra
November 21st, 2017, 01:58 AM
When I had long hair I used to braid it before I went to sleep. I had to keep the tassel hidden because my cat would otherwise try to eat it. I think he mostly just wanted attention. Nowadays he climbs on tables. Like he just did. All the attention is good attention to him. He eventually stops if he is ignored but he knows I can't ignore him if he tries to destroy something. He had a troubled childhood. Sometimes when I stand still he gets on two feet and hugs my leg. I can't get anywhere if he is like that. :) My girl cat just likes to cuddle with my hands. She rubs her face on my fingers and hugs my wrist.

I wish I had time and money to get a dog too. I had a dog with my ex. That dog respected my hair. He just pretended it didn't exist although he usually liked all kinds of things that resembled ropes. He was a very smart dog. It was fun to put my hair on his his head and pretend that he was a hippie dog. He was very kind although he also came from really bad conditions. He was very afraid of most people but never acted aggressive. Sometimes he tried to protect us against some other dogs that acted odd but that also stopped when he realized it's our job to keep him safe. He even took care of the cats and sometimes went between a cat and his dog friend because he thought his friend wasn't respecting the cat enough. He wrestled with one of the cats a lot and although he was big and it looked dangerous he was the only one who got some damage (sometimes the cat bit his nose and he cried). They were very good friend. It's a shame that often people were afraid of him too because he looked the way he did. One of my friends even suggested that maybe he was a wolfdog. He wasn't for sure.

A horse has also munched my hair. When I was a child my sister used to go to this stable. I was too allergic but sometimes I still went. There was this big friendly horse who liked to "eat" hair or just mess with it with his lips. It was a bit scary but he never hurt anybody.

LizzyGrant
November 21st, 2017, 02:50 AM
My great-grandma had a cat and I remember vividly her being in the crib with me. My grandma always got angry when great-grandma let that happen, but I remember so much warmth. :)

What a lovely memory :crush:

PixieP
November 23rd, 2017, 02:01 PM
My fluffy kitty hugs my bun every night at bedtime. It's a ritual she's kept up for 3 and a half years now! Also I have given up having coconut oil in my hair, as I will wake up to fluffy trying to eat my hair.

The tricolour tabby LOVES brushes, and will come running and meow at me when I'm brushing my hair, because she wants me to brush her with the Tangle teezer. She also LOVES to play with hairties and will steal them if they are somewhere she can reach them.

My little black one isn't scared of anything... Except my hair when I bend over so it hangs downwards. If I walk towards her like that she'll flee XD

AZDesertRose
November 23rd, 2017, 03:18 PM
Also, when I've freshly touched up my henna, Carys-kitteh finds the smell interesting and sniffs my head a lot. (The rest of the time, she mostly ignores my scalp; it's just if the ends are hanging down, they are kitty toys.)

sparkle'n'bling
November 23rd, 2017, 11:32 PM
The first time my neighbour's cats stayed overnight at my house, they watched in fascination when I let my hair down before bed. One reached out to take an inquisitive swat but they never really tried to play with it. They're quite used to it now as they come over all the time.

LizzyGrant
November 24th, 2017, 04:34 AM
Haha, there's a lot of cat people in LHC :kitten:

MusicalSpoons
November 24th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Our cat is used to my hair so never seems to take any notice. I sometimes put the ends of my hair on him (he's mostly black so the contrast with my blonde just makes me laugh) but he either just looks at me or ignores me. If he could roll his eyes, I'm sure he would!

I recently house-sat for a friend who has a cat and a kitten. The cat in the past has had a passing interest in my hair loose in bed, but other than that doesn't really care. But oh wow, the kitten went nuts!! I first noticed when I had it down to air dry in the evening - it was loose - and she was trying to climb up it! Then whenever I did my hair with her around, she'd zoom across the room to play with it, so I quickly learned to do it out of her sight. When cleaning out the litter tray (she hadn't been spayed so wasn't allowed out yet) I found she'd occasionally eaten a shed hair or two *urgh*

AZDesertRose
November 24th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Our cat is used to my hair so never seems to take any notice. I sometimes put the ends of my hair on him (he's mostly black so the contrast with my blonde just makes me laugh) but he either just looks at me or ignores me. If he could roll his eyes, I'm sure he would!

I recently house-sat for a friend who has a cat and a kitten. The cat in the past has had a passing interest in my hair loose in bed, but other than that doesn't really care. But oh wow, the kitten went nuts!! I first noticed when I had it down to air dry in the evening - it was loose - and she was trying to climb up it! Then whenever I did my hair with her around, she'd zoom across the room to play with it, so I quickly learned to do it out of her sight. When cleaning out the litter tray (she hadn't been spayed so wasn't allowed out yet) I found she'd occasionally eaten a shed hair or two *urgh*

Oh, that reminds me. A few years ago, I used to volunteer for a local animal shelter, taking care of the adoptable cats at a nearby PetSmart. One day, I went to take care of the kitties, and one kitten decided that I needed to wear a kitten hat. It took some coaxing and gentle removal of claws from my hair (not my scalp, just my hair) to get the kitten off my head. That was one hilarious bad hair day! :rollin:

spidermom
November 24th, 2017, 12:34 PM
My ball python once decided to slither through a loop of my braid.

Panthera
November 24th, 2017, 02:02 PM
My cats love hair ties etc too and they like to steal them. One steals them directly from my hair. One of my cats likes to sit on my back or shoulders. Sometimes if I'm wearing a bun with a hair stick she might jump on my back, pull the stick out of my bun and run away with it. Then she carries it around proudly like a great treasure. :rolleyes:

LaLola73
November 24th, 2017, 06:18 PM
My big kitty, Rocky, loves hair ties. He will try to get on my shoulder to pull off my elastics or scrunchies.

Alysia
December 3rd, 2017, 08:20 AM

You had a kitty guardian/hot water bottle. That’s so adorable! (Really, all the snuggling stories are cute.)
;) To those who have hairtoy-stealing kitties: do they hoard them or carry them around? Mine used to keep a lair under my bed with her prizes. Got a new bed that doesn’t allow for that, so now she hides things in shoes. My roommate’s cat parades around yowling at the top of his lungs.

T0n1c
December 5th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Before I learned my hair doesn't like coconut oil, I learned not to go to bed with it in my hair! My cat Dutch woke me up licking and chewing on my hair. Now that it's getting colder and drier here, I will start putting a bit of coconut oil on their fur occasionally. I keeps them soft and sleek, and cuts down on static and hairballs.

When I was a kid, my father's GF had a cat that would lick the hairspray out of my bangs at night. She'd curl up on my pillow and just lick, lick, lick.

Any time I oil my ends I have to bun it and tuck them in so Dutch won't try to eat my hair to get at the oil. Cute little butt-head!

mackensey
April 25th, 2019, 12:17 AM
I have a puppy who whenever I wash my hair likes to 'drink' the water out of my hair. So gross but kinda cute