PDA

View Full Version : Boar bristles splitting. Is this at all normal?

SpriteLight
November 18th, 2017, 01:38 PM
I love boar bristle brushes. So far I’ve had a Widu mixed bristle, still have a widu pure bristle, a Mason Pearson junior mix bristle and as of yesterday a kent lsh5 handmade brush. I also owned a Mason Pearson large extra that I returned because the bristles were splitting from the first use. I contacted MP and was told 1-2 was normal but I had up to 10 by about the 5th use. So that’s when I decided to try the kent.

This brush is absolutely stunning. I love it so much. But as I’m sure you’ve guessed some of the bristles have split from the first use. I have had my widu pure for years and have 2 splits. This after years of use. My MP mix seems to show no signs of splitting yet and I’ve had it for about 3 months now. The only thing I can think is the large extra and kent have stiffer bristles than the other brushes and am wondering if this contributes to splits. Is it at all normal for this to happen? I’m not rough with my brushes and my hair isn’t monstrously thick or anything. I have fine but abundant hair that does tangle easily but I always detangle before using my bbb’s.

I really, really, REALLY do not want to return my kent as it is a stunning piece of artwork that makes my hair shimmer. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

lapushka
November 18th, 2017, 02:07 PM
This brush is absolutely stunning. I love it so much. But as I’m sure you’ve guessed some of the bristles have split from the first use. I have had my widu pure for years and have 2 splits. This after years of use. My MP mix seems to show no signs of splitting yet and I’ve had it for about 3 months now. The only thing I can think is the large extra and kent have stiffer bristles than the other brushes and am wondering if this contributes to splits. Is it at all normal for this to happen? I’m not rough with my brushes and my hair isn’t monstrously thick or anything. I have fine but abundant hair that does tangle easily but I always detangle before using my bbb’s.

I have never had a BBB split on me (I have 2, a BBB and a mixed BB), so I'm guessing this is not a normal thing to occur. I would ask for information at least and possibly ask for a replacement.

Deborah
November 18th, 2017, 03:17 PM
I have a Mason Pearson 100% boar bristle brush. No splits.

Obsidian
November 18th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Any chance you use it on wet hair or rest it bristles down? I know boar bristle shaving brushes split but its desirable on them so they are softer. It takes some time to get proper splitting and one of the tip to speed it up it to soak the bristles and store it bristle down so they smash.

I have a cheap BBB and I don't think it has any splits.

SpriteLight
November 18th, 2017, 04:38 PM
I never use my bbbs on wet hair and always store them bristles up. I’ve also had one other cheaper bbb I forgot about that hasn’t split either. I baby my brushes. Honestly, it feels like the more expensive the brush the more likely it is to split! I’ve scoured the internet and I have found a couple of people that have experienced splitting of their MP pure bristle brushes. There’s one thread here where someone had splitting of their MP pure bristle too. So I know it can happen. It just seems like it doesn’t happen to most people. I know that my mixed bristles don’t split so I’m guessing the nylon helps take the pressure off the boar bristles. But my hair is really not that thick and the kent model I have is designed to be used on thick hair. I’m at a loss here.

lapushka
November 18th, 2017, 04:54 PM
I never use my bbbs on wet hair and always store them bristles up. I’ve also had one other cheaper bbb I forgot about that hasn’t split either. I baby my brushes. Honestly, it feels like the more expensive the brush the more likely it is to split! I’ve scoured the internet and I have found a couple of people that have experienced splitting of their MP pure bristle brushes. There’s one thread here where someone had splitting of their MP pure bristle too. So I know it can happen. It just seems like it doesn’t happen to most people. I know that my mixed bristles don’t split so I’m guessing the nylon helps take the pressure off the boar bristles. But my hair is really not that thick and the kent model I have is designed to be used on thick hair. I’m at a loss here.

Return it. See what they say. :) :flower:

Maybe try different brushes than BBBs? If you're at all willing to do that. :)

DweamGoiL
November 20th, 2017, 07:45 AM
I have had a Mason Pearson for many years (well over a decade) and my brush does have a handful of split individual bristles. Mine split a long time ago, but it doesn't compromise the brush in any way. No catching, maybe a bit more lint and stuff gets into the split bristles so I have to be a bit more diligent cleaning those particular bristles. I think like our own hair, it just happens to some and not others and would say it's completely normal although not desirable. I tend to be a bit rigorous about cleaning my brush (basically, I clean mine after every use and I clarify it every few months). I think it's just wear and tear since I am not as gentle as maybe others are.