PDA

View Full Version : Super interesting history of raffaello man bob (and my interpretation) :p

yahirwaO.o
November 15th, 2017, 11:44 PM
Im not sure whether this article has been posted here but I find it extremely interesting since i currrently have an odd style (men bob, i like it :D) not super popular option for any male and guys who usually grow their hair most of the time it usually a mullet shaggy mane till its tided up (me in my teens).

Anyways wanted to share this fascinating artcile since you ladies and some gents have so much inspiration from Medieval styles and short hair has its place (at least for men)

.... Yes the man bob was a legit style in both early Medieval time and about Renaissance as Raffaello style later in Romanticism! :P

https://fashionarchaeology.com/2014/01/19/the-raffaello-bob-post-no-1-on-mens-haircuts/

... Now this article was sent to me by a friend who saw my lastest picture in which I softly curled my jaw line bob and bleached my brows and he said I looked completly medieval style :cool:. Heres my proof.

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y375/Marino_Torocho/bob_zpsbilja7pe.jpg (http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/Marino_Torocho/media/bob_zpsbilja7pe.jpg.html)

Now I didnt have this style in my mind and after reading the article I sort have been adapting my all dark clothing to fit the medival thing while keeping it mainstream and actually quite like it.

While I-ve been called several spoof characters likeWilly Wonka and Lord Farquaad ( I set in my mind that my regrow journey needed to experience a bob and frankly been enjoying it a lot) .Of course I prefer long straight native indigenous mane but its gonna take more time.

So yeah thoughts about this are pretty much requiered!!!!! :P

EdG
November 16th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Welcome back, yahirwaO.o! :waving:

I am glad that your regrowth is going well.

The Photobucket image isn't working for me.

The article is interesting, but I think the author missed the point that long hair requires less maintenance than short hair.
Ed

The Maple Leaf
November 16th, 2017, 07:55 AM
I have a man bob.

truepeacenik
November 16th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Can we not put "man" in front of every style as if men aren't entitled to do with their hair as they will?

There's no difference between a bun on me and a bun on EdG. It's the same technique.

It's sexist clap trap, from where I sit.

YahirwaO.o, in the 1990s, that length was common among young men following the band Phish. Basically, it was a stage of growing out.
My exhusband and I called the look the PhishHead Bob. We mostly used it with affection.
Mentally, I don't see a difference between the bob and the Prince Valiant look.

EdG
November 16th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Agreed, truepeacenik! :thumbsup:

I find the "man-" prefix to be silly when applied to hair. I much prefer the "hair is hair" attitude. :)
Ed

cjk
November 16th, 2017, 10:54 PM
There are some styles that are, indeed, quintessentially male. The Prince Valiant is one of them. No need to rename it the man Bob.

Though I don't have enough hair to try it, I want to try a he-hive someday.

EdG
November 18th, 2017, 07:47 AM
There are some styles that are, indeed, quintessentially male. The Prince Valiant is one of them. No need to rename it the man Bob.Once one gets into longhair territory, there is no meaningful distinction between men's and women's hairstyles. Long hair is just... long hair.

I think this is the reason why LHC has outlasted other boards that catered only to men's long hair or women's long hair.
Ed

yahirwaO.o
November 18th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Welcome back, yahirwaO.o! :waving:

I am glad that your regrowth is going well.

The Photobucket image isn't working for me.

The article is interesting, but I think the author missed the point that long hair requires less maintenance than short hair.
Ed

Hey Ed thank you for welcoming me again man!!!!! Long hair of course is pretty low maintenance but im surprise on how verstile is this cut whereas the long shag I had grown in the past was extremely complicated to style. :cool:

I have a man bob.

Coooool!!!! Would you mind sharing a pic????? :p

Can we not put "man" in front of every style as if men aren't entitled to do with their hair as they will?

There's no difference between a bun on me and a bun on EdG. It's the same technique.

It's sexist clap trap, from where I sit.

YahirwaO.o, in the 1990s, that length was common among young men following the band Phish. Basically, it was a stage of growing out.
My exhusband and I called the look the PhishHead Bob. We mostly used it with affection.
Mentally, I don't see a difference between the bob and the Prince Valiant look.

Sorry if i you find it offensive but I had actually put the name or label after man whatever as a pun. :blossom::blossom::blossom:

And I strongly agree there is not great difference in hairstyles for humans. I myself choose some styles that could fit into "girly stuff" and I donīt mind it, I feel cool and confident pullin off those looks!!!

Prince Valient, I had forgot about him lol. And yeah it was a very 90's look too somehow... better than the bowl cut look certainly!!!

There are some styles that are, indeed, quintessentially male. The Prince Valiant is one of them. No need to rename it the man Bob.

Though I don't have enough hair to try it, I want to try a he-hive someday.

Yes, however my culture is very ignorant sometimes and they usually tell me my hair is looking "girly" and I have learned to bear with it and say.... "Menso this is a medieval thing you see". Oh my gosh the he hive!!!! I have never heard of that till I googled it..... it looks very cool and 60's! I love 60's!!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

yahirwaO.o
November 18th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Once one gets into longhair territory, there is no meaningful distinction between men's and women's hairstyles. Long hair is just... long hair.

I think this is the reason why LHC has outlasted other boards that catered only to men's long hair or women's long hair.
Ed

Yes again my friend. I feel very nice in this site since I can do all sorts of hair stuff without dumb bulling and I just hapen to find playing with hair like a really nice, fun and at times artistic thing to me!!!

and heck it! My links on photubucket hosting have been failing on me..... Does anyone else recommend another pic hosting web site? I think its time for me to find a new site for my pics!

....here it is again. I read again the article and apparently im wearing the aristocrat fake curls versions! :p but my actual natural straight hair and everyday look is more like those in later Renaissance without the bangs!

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y375/Marino_Torocho/bob_zpszvr1jpaa.jpg (http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/Marino_Torocho/media/bob_zpszvr1jpaa.jpg.html)

yahirwaO.o
November 18th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Also pardon me since English is not my native lenguage but another curious question I have while I was reading is.......what's the difference between an "actual bob" to other style that looks a lot like it but it is name "page boy". I know the vintage name that was given since it seemed like it was the choice for those eastern kingdoms but to me the difference seems to be the bangs or fringe and bobs tend to be more blunt ? Im confused with these!!! :O

Sarahlabyrinth
November 19th, 2017, 12:25 AM
I thought a page boy style was a bob, but really, I don't know much about it.

yahirwaO.o
November 19th, 2017, 01:40 AM
I thought a page boy style was a bob, but really, I don't know much about it.

You are probably right Sarah, wish someone else in ths forum would tell more.

Damn photobucket seems to be doing so bad :steam, tried tinypic hope this time link works this time!!!! :knit:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dtqcdy.jpg

akurah
November 19th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Yes again my friend. I feel very nice in this site since I can do all sorts of hair stuff without dumb bulling and I just hapen to find playing with hair like a really nice, fun and at times artistic thing to me!!!

and heck it! My links on photubucket hosting have been failing on me..... Does anyone else recommend another pic hosting web site? I think its time for me to find a new site for my pics!

....here it is again. I read again the article and apparently im wearing the aristocrat fake curls versions! :p but my actual natural straight hair and everyday look is more like those in later Renaissance without the bangs!

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y375/Marino_Torocho/bob_zpszvr1jpaa.jpg (http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/Marino_Torocho/media/bob_zpszvr1jpaa.jpg.html)

You need to put it on a different host. This is the message we see: "Please update your account to enable 3rd Party Hosting"

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

EdG
November 19th, 2017, 09:14 AM
The pic works. :hifive:

The style does look like a person from the Renaissance period. :)
Ed

enting
November 20th, 2017, 09:03 AM
I'm used to a page boy being somewhere between chin and shoulder length, straight, puffing outwards with a single flip at the bottom curling inwards. I don't associate a bob with having any necessary wave or curl to it unless it flips slightly forward at the tips.

Ah, the "man" modifier. DH likes to say things like "A man-bun, or as I like to call it, a bun...." He will do this to anything that has an unnecessary gender prefix tagged on to it, just to bring attention to how silly the prefix is. Another example is "a girl-geek, or as I like to say, a geek".

I love your current hairstyle on you, YahirwaO.o.

I think a mullet is harder to pull back when one wants to because the front is shorter than the back. In this style, the hair in front is just as long, making pulling it back easier and also making it easier to grow out. It doesn't lose its shape, it simply gets longer and turns itself into a longer style with no cutting or reshaping on your part.

Groovy Granny
November 20th, 2017, 09:37 AM
I see your pic just fine ~ good portrayal :thumbsup:

You need to put it on a different host. This is the message we see: "Please update your account to enable 3rd Party Hosting"

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

*Anyone can get around PB broken links, or view the old pics posted here on LHC ...just look for a 'Photobucket Embedded Image Fix' extension for your browser.
I have one for google chrome and it works great!

yahirwaO.o
November 20th, 2017, 12:34 PM
The pic works. :hifive:

The style does look like a person from the Renaissance period. :)
Ed

Yeah finally, I know !!! I do look like one and certainly enjoy it more than the awkaward mess I was dealing with my hair during this year!!!!

I'm used to a page boy being somewhere between chin and shoulder length, straight, puffing outwards with a single flip at the bottom curling inwards. I don't associate a bob with having any necessary wave or curl to it unless it flips slightly forward at the tips.

Ah, the "man" modifier. DH likes to say things like "A man-bun, or as I like to call it, a bun...." He will do this to anything that has an unnecessary gender prefix tagged on to it, just to bring attention to how silly the prefix is. Another example is "a girl-geek, or as I like to say, a geek".

I love your current hairstyle on you, YahirwaO.o.

I think a mullet is harder to pull back when one wants to because the front is shorter than the back. In this style, the hair in front is just as long, making pulling it back easier and also making it easier to grow out. It doesn't lose its shape, it simply gets longer and turns itself into a longer style with no cutting or reshaping on your part.

Well my natural hair at this point does flip anoyyingly but certainly it doesn't look like an intentional one. (But it could look pretty 60's flip style if I wanted to LOL)

So maybe a page boy is more a styling technique than actual cut, I mean I could curl my hair inwards and sort of get a similar look even mine is slightly angled as opossed to a round shape like the pagaboy vitage styles I often associate with.

Yeah the prefix "man" is just a spoof to me. I mean men have been wearing long curly ringlets with high heels in the past and it was just ok. Certainly there are very geeky women outside and it is very cute :p

Thank you for the compliment. I wish i could recreate it more often but my hair is to short to go for heatless curls (pin curls take forever and canīt sleep with anything on my head) these one were made with a wand and I donīt need heat damage at this point!

I trimmmed and cut my hair 6 times this year just so I wouldnt grow from a shaggy mullet because it is very hard to pull back and down looked extremely flippy awkard and I associate that look with a very teenage me. I have no plans of future trimming the next year since my hair is pretty much one lenght again and my fine locks can grow nicely from here without any craziness thin ends going on!

I see your pic just fine ~ good portrayal thumbsup:

*Anyone can get around PB broken links, or view the old pics posted here on LHC ...just look for a 'Photobucket Embedded Image Fix' extension for your browser.
I have one for google chrome and it works great!

Thank you groovy granny!!! Yep this picture is one im keeing for the rest (pretty much all the pics I tooki this year with mess hair are going to the flames :hatchet::hatchet::hatchet: To me Im a case of once long hair, always long hair!

I try to get that extension, but im not using chrome at the moment, I'll try to figure out if there is one with my current navigator!

enting
November 20th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Yeah it might just be a styling difference and that's all.
Hooray for being all one length again!

Maybe save just one awkward picture or two for the sake of possibly giving hope to someone else down the line who might be going through a rough patch :blossom:

lapushka
November 20th, 2017, 04:15 PM
A page boy cut is with the sides tapered and shorter, think Beatles in the early days, or the band The Monkeys!

Jo Ann
November 20th, 2017, 08:07 PM

Either Imgur ( https://imgur.com/ ...and it's FREE ) or you can use/create an album here onsite.

Jo Ann
November 20th, 2017, 08:11 PM

Damn photobucket seems to be doing so bad :steam, tried tinypic hope this time link works this time!!!! :knit:

Oh, that DOES look nice!

Zebra
November 21st, 2017, 02:32 AM
That looks great! Very cool! I have been afraid of that growth stage because I am afraid of looking too girly or too messy. Maybe it really just depends on how you wear it. It doesn't have to look girly. I have a babyface and I am am short so people mistake me for a woman sometimes. That's why I originally cut my hair and I regret it now. I don't even know why I care so much. People will always have their opinions.

There is nothing wrong with looking girly either, just saying. People can be feminine or masculine no matter what their gender is and there is nothing wrong with that.

lapushka
November 21st, 2017, 04:58 AM
That looks great! Very cool! I have been afraid of that growth stage because I am afraid of looking too girly or too messy. Maybe it really just depends on how you wear it. It doesn't have to look girly. I have a babyface and I am am short so people mistake me for a woman sometimes. That's why I originally cut my hair and I regret it now. I don't even know why I care so much. People will always have their opinions.

There is nothing wrong with looking girly either, just saying. People can be feminine or masculine no matter what their gender is and there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't think long hair makes you look girly, just MO. I think that's what the long hair men on LHC and a lot of the women are trying to put across here, I think. :)

EdG
November 21st, 2017, 07:42 AM
I have a babyface and I am am short so people mistake me for a woman sometimes. One way to avoid being mistaken for a woman is to grow some facial hair (if you are old enough).

I don't think long hair makes you look girly, just MO. I think that's what the long hair men on LHC and a lot of the women are trying to put across here, I think. :)I like to think of this as "Welcome to the LHC, where men are longhaired, women are longhaired, and even pets are longhaired". :lol:
Ed

yahirwaO.o
November 21st, 2017, 03:52 PM
Yeah it might just be a styling difference and that's all.
Hooray for being all one length again!

Maybe save just one awkward picture or two for the sake of possibly giving hope to someone else down the line who might be going through a rough patch :blossom:

Well I actually made a post on how versatile were the first 3 months after the big chop.After that until 10th month growing it was a completeme nightmare :horse: Yeah my 3 rd year anniversary and one fully year since the chop is comming soon so I probably post my progress which has been really cool recently.

A page boy cut is with the sides tapered and shorter, think Beatles in the early days, or the band The Monkeys!

It is interesting because they had full bangs and when I cut mine I has in my mind beatles but I probaly layered it too much so it ended up being more emo style. Either way I probably not gonna cut it like any time soon :cheese:

Oh, that DOES look nice!

Muchas gracias!!!!! :cool:

Im quite ok with gender neutral thing, but I just like to think of me as a human who just wants to be himself. Yeah this curl version of my bob (any tipe of curl on my straight hair really) makes me feel glam and kinda androginous, however i have a very deep voice and i certainly act like cool hippie kind guy.

This cut in my regular straight tuck behind the ears version is quite nice and llooks pretty cool, current and not cartoonish for a guy. If i just leave it down it does give vibes like the article I posted.

....even then ironically I felt more manly when my hair was super long, cause it was just in a bun, braid or down and pretty much people assume I was into metal (do like it actually) and that is extremely rat. Still people have their opinion and at this point with hair experience I couldnīt care less for negativity on peopleīs percepction on me. :o

I don't think long hair makes you look girly, just MO. I think that's what the long hair men on LHC and a lot of the women are trying to put across here, I think. :)

I agree to me, super long hair looks kinda mythical were everyone looks different from society comformity. Of course fancy girly styles do exude feminity and cuteness, if a guy tries it to me resambles flower children from the 60's!!!!! :)

One way to avoid being mistaken for a woman is to grow some facial hair (if you are old enough).

I like to think of this as "Welcome to the LHC, where men are longhaired, women are longhaired, and even pets are longhaired". :lol:
Ed

This works!!!! however im pretty unable to grow a decent beard (in my mid 20's and have very facil-body hair so I will never have a viking beard :() and I saw a youtube video of a bearded lady who had such a strong thick one I could yearn about he he he. Yeah this works for regular guy. :cool:

That is a cool slogan for this site ED!!!!!

Beckstar
November 21st, 2017, 08:37 PM
Man bobs, lady bobs, or cat bobs rock.

Arciela
November 22nd, 2017, 05:02 AM

Wow! Your hair looks great !

Also interesting article haha I never knew the history behind it. And I agree...hair is hair, for sure :flower:

lapushka
November 22nd, 2017, 08:50 AM
I like to think of this as "Welcome to the LHC, where men are longhaired, women are longhaired, and even pets are longhaired". :lol:
Ed

LOL, Ed! You crack me up! :lol:

lapushka
November 22nd, 2017, 08:52 AM
I agree to me, super long hair looks kinda mythical were everyone looks different from society comformity. Of course fancy girly styles do exude feminity and cuteness, if a guy tries it to me resambles flower children from the 60's!!!!! :)

I don't think you get the point I'm trying to put across (unisex anyone), but well, that's OK. ;)

EdG
November 22nd, 2017, 09:03 AM
LOL, Ed! You crack me up! :lol:Somewhere in the meet reports, there are even accounts of long hair on plants. :rollin:
Ed

lapushka
November 22nd, 2017, 09:11 AM
Somewhere in the meet reports, there are even accounts of long hair on plants. :rollin:
Ed

Let me guess. Cacti?

EdG
November 22nd, 2017, 09:53 AM
Let me guess. Cacti?There probably are some long-haired cacti. ;)

The long-haired tree I was thinking of is in Strybing Arboretum in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. We have taken meet photos under it.

http://www.edgrochowski.com/photos-lhc/hair-tree-11-22-17.jpg

Ed

lapushka
November 22nd, 2017, 10:27 AM
There probably are some long-haired cacti. ;)

The long-haired tree I was thinking of is in Strybing Arboretum in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. We have taken meet photos under it.

http://www.edgrochowski.com/photos-lhc/hair-tree-11-22-17.jpg

Ed

Wow. WOW! That is gorgeous! :D Thanks for posting that picture. :)

yahirwaO.o
November 22nd, 2017, 11:13 AM
Wow! Your hair looks great !

Also interesting article haha I never knew the history behind it. And I agree...hair is hair, for sure :flower:

Thanks!!!!! Yeah the article was such an insteresting piece of hair knowledge!!! ;) Hair is hair and its great to have fun with it!

[
Ed

Wowowowowo!!!!! Thatīs a beutiful long haired tree!!!!!!! Thanks for the unexpected surprise!!! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Groovy Granny
November 22nd, 2017, 12:17 PM

[/img]

Ed

That is so cool :thumbsup: I have never seen that!

EdG
November 23rd, 2017, 09:24 AM
Wow. WOW! That is gorgeous! :D Thanks for posting that picture. :)

Wowowowowo!!!!! Thatīs a beutiful long haired tree!!!!!!! Thanks for the unexpected surprise!!! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

That is so cool :thumbsup: I have never seen that!I am thinking "Not only is the longhaired tree thudworthy, it is off the scale on the hair typing chart (probably a 1c/CCC/xx)." :thud:
Ed

Groovy Granny
November 23rd, 2017, 09:31 AM
I am thinking "Not only is the longhaired tree thudworthy, it is off the scale on the hair typing chart (probably a 1c/CCC/xx)." :thud:
Ed

:lol: Very true :thumbsup: