PDA

View Full Version : Hair ends...please help!

rose222
November 15th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Hello,

First of all, I'm new to this forum. I would like to grow my hair as long as possible.

My hair is below shoulder length at the moment and it was a little longer than that a month ago. I noticed that
the ends seemed damaged so I went to a salon and had a bit cut off a month ago. I noticed that
my ends are growing upwards. I have naturally fine and straight hair and have had waist-length hair before
and my ends have never done this. Today, I went back to the salon thinking the ends were damaged and
had a bit more cut off. It's still growing upwards! I've always had flat, straight blunt ends so I don't understand
what is happening.

Now I'm wondering whether the hair stylist cut my ends in an outwards sort of way thus making my hair grow like that?
I hope I make sense. Should I go to a different stylist and ask them to cut my hair in a straight/flat/blunt way?
Thank you!

Kiiruna
November 15th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Maybe your texture has changed? Or if your hair has been layered, there's not as much weight on the ends and that may be one reason why you get flippy ends.

lucid
November 15th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Did she use scissors or did she by any chance use a razor?

rose222
November 15th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Maybe your texture has changed? Or if your hair has been layered, there's not as much weight on the ends and that may be one reason why you get flippy ends.

No, my texture has not changed...it's fine and silky. My hair is all one length with no layers at all. It's puzzling to me!

rose222
November 15th, 2017, 02:37 PM
She used scissors. When she first cut my hair a month ago I noticed that very night that the ends looked odd (the ends weren't flat but turning outwards).

I think I'll go to another stylist and specifically ask that they give me a little trim with straight/blunt ends. I just don't like cutting my hair shorter when
what I want is to grow super long.

lucid
November 15th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Could your hair maybe have been cut with dull scissors? I have straight hair as well, and when my ends flip it means they'll soon need a trim, but I had the same thing happen one time a hair dresser used razors to cut my hair. Do you see any split ends? If not, you could probably hold off the trim for a while, unless the ends are bothering you.

Waveurly
November 15th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Honestly I would not assume that another trim will make any difference since you've already had two trims. The hairstylist did not use razors as you said and I can't think of any way of cutting that would make a difference in the way the ends grow out. :) It would seem like unnecessarily sacrificing your ends.
It can be possible that texture changes but sometimes this is gradual and slowly. I think your ends must be healthy at the moment after the recent cut and you could also just wait and let it grow to see what your hair will do. My hair is wavy and will grow in all different directions, especially when at a shorter length. When it gets longer it still does flip a bit up or down but it's very noticeable from chin length to APL in my case. Just an example :)
I'm not a hairstylist though, so it's just my opinion :o Do whatever you want!

rose222
November 15th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Could your hair maybe have been cut with dull scissors? I have straight hair as well, and when my ends flip it means they'll soon need a trim, but I had the same thing happen one time a hair dresser used razors to cut my hair. Do you see any split ends? If not, you could probably hold off the trim for a while, unless the ends are bothering you.

Possibly! I did see some split ends the first time but it wasn't bad. I've never had this happen before. It looks awful growing outwards...it gives the impression that the hair is damaged. However, I'll try and hold off the trim. Thanks! :)

rose222
November 15th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Honestly I would not assume that another trim will make any difference since you've already had two trims. The hairstylist did not use razors as you said and I can't think of any way of cutting that would make a difference in the way the ends grow out. :) It would seem like unnecessarily sacrificing your ends.
It can be possible that texture changes but sometimes this is gradual and slowly. I think your ends must be healthy at the moment after the recent cut and you could also just wait and let it grow to see what your hair will do. My hair is wavy and will grow in all different directions, especially when at a shorter length. When it gets longer it still does flip a bit up or down but it's very noticeable from chin length to APL in my case. Just an example :)
I'm not a hairstylist though, so it's just my opinion :o Do whatever you want!

Yes, you're right. I will see how it goes as my hair grows. :) I was a little afraid seeing the shorter length today after spending months trying to grow it out. So frustrating.

Corvana
November 15th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Do you mean your ends are going like this?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28237&d=1501470231

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean, without a photo, so I'm just guessing. If you do mean that, then it's probably just the length. That's my own hair from July, at about collarbone length. It's past that now, but still flips up a lot.

Here you can see on my right (my piercing is on my left) where my hair sits all the time, and on the left I'm pulling a piece taut to show its actual length.

https://i.imgur.com/BSxISzu.jpg

In my personal experience, until my hair is well past my shoulders it absolutely will not lay straight. I don't have wavy hair, it just ends up on my shoulders as it dries or during the day and it curls itself up there. It's just not long enough to avoid the trap that is my shoulders!

Agnieszka
November 15th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the forum!

My ends were doing this between neck length-shoulder length. Now I'm close to APL and it's straight again. I haven't had the tiniest trim since more than a year now. I don't have explanation for this hair flipping phenomenon but I'm an example that it happens :-) I've got pictures of it if you are interested to see what I mean.
I wouldn't trim any more unless you have split ends...

StartingFrom0
November 15th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Probably bad last haircut(way of cutting/scissors' material) . I've had this as well (5 months no and no problem)...

As long as it is healthy no worries, it will start falling down due to gravity when it starts growing out I guess. If it starts growing out weird cut it. If your ends are split cut them now. If not it will look weird for a while. Keep them moisturised. I haven't had a haircut since last year, my ends are turning upwards as well. Probably because it's time for a trim but it is not happening! My hair is kind of straight,probably like an a2 and my tips always do that when I haven't trimmed in a while. But If it feels really healthy , who cares!

Waveurly
November 15th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Yes, you're right. I will see how it goes as my hair grows. :) I was a little afraid seeing the shorter length today after spending months trying to grow it out. So frustrating.

I can totally understand that it's a bit frustrating!! But you'll grow your hair longer before you know it! With the great suggestions of everyone on this forum mixed with a little of patience and you will be alright! ;)

rose222
November 15th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Do you mean your ends are going like this?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28237&d=1501470231

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean, without a photo, so I'm just guessing. If you do mean that, then it's probably just the length. That's my own hair from July, at about collarbone length. It's past that now, but still flips up a lot.

Here you can see on my right (my piercing is on my left) where my hair sits all the time, and on the left I'm pulling a piece taut to show its actual length.

https://i.imgur.com/BSxISzu.jpg

In my personal experience, until my hair is well past my shoulders it absolutely will not lay straight. I don't have wavy hair, it just ends up on my shoulders as it dries or during the day and it curls itself up there. It's just not long enough to avoid the trap that is my shoulders!

No, your hair looks normal. :) Mine looks strange. I wish I had photos to show you guys. It was APL before I cut it again today.

rose222
November 15th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the forum!

My ends were doing this between neck length-shoulder length. Now I'm close to APL and it's straight again. I haven't had the tiniest trim since more than a year now. I don't have explanation for this hair flipping phenomenon but I'm an example that it happens :-) I've got pictures of it if you are interested to see what I mean.
I wouldn't trim any more unless you have split ends...

Thank you. Please share pictures. :)

rose222
November 15th, 2017, 04:41 PM
Probably bad last haircut(way of cutting/scissors' material) . I've had this as well (5 months no and no problem)...

As long as it is healthy no worries, it will start falling down due to gravity when it starts growing out I guess. If it starts growing out weird cut it. If your ends are split cut them now. If not it will look weird for a while. Keep them moisturised. I haven't had a haircut since last year, my ends are turning upwards as well. Probably because it's time for a trim but it is not happening! My hair is kind of straight,probably like an a2 and my tips always do that when I haven't trimmed in a while. But If it feels really healthy , who cares!

I do think it's a bad haircut. I had never been to this particular stylist before last month when I had my first trim. Today too I had her trim my hair and again it's got weird ends just like last time. My hair wasn't like this before I went to her. Why is such a little thing like a trim so complicated sometimes with hairdressers?

rose222
November 15th, 2017, 04:42 PM
I can totally understand that it's a bit frustrating!! But you'll grow your hair longer before you know it! With the great suggestions of everyone on this forum mixed with a little of patience and you will be alright! ;)

Thank you. I've been following this forum for quite a well. You guys are so friendly and helpful! I live in Asia and I saw a girl here yesterday with hair till her thighs...perfect and beautiful! I want that!

alimc
November 16th, 2017, 03:10 AM
Ive also got fine straight hair. And when it is short (above apl) my ends also flip upwards. Its only when it gains weight and length it starts growing down again. Id suggest not cutting any more off, it may only make the flipping worse? Patience is the key....

LizzyGrant
November 16th, 2017, 07:59 AM
I don't know how to help you but I must say that my hair does this as well. I don't remember that it would have been like this before but maybe I wasn't paying attention then. My hair looks healthy but some of the ends just make an "U-turn" and grow upwards. They don't look damaged but I think they might be because it just doesn't seem normal. My hair is also fine.
Could some hairstyles cause this? I've been wearing my hair a lot in braids and buns lately. How about you?

lapushka
November 16th, 2017, 09:07 AM
There can't be anything wrong with your ends, especially if they've been freshly cut.

Could you take a picture of your hair, so we know what you're talking about; it's a bit hard to try and imagine.

rose222
November 16th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Ive also got fine straight hair. And when it is short (above apl) my ends also flip upwards. Its only when it gains weight and length it starts growing down again. Id suggest not cutting any more off, it may only make the flipping worse? Patience is the key....

I don't know how to help you but I must say that my hair does this as well. I don't remember that it would have been like this before but maybe I wasn't paying attention then. My hair looks healthy but some of the ends just make an "U-turn" and grow upwards. They don't look damaged but I think they might be because it just doesn't seem normal. My hair is also fine.
Could some hairstyles cause this? I've been wearing my hair a lot in braids and buns lately. How about you?

There can't be anything wrong with your ends, especially if they've been freshly cut.

Could you take a picture of your hair, so we know what you're talking about; it's a bit hard to try and imagine.

I wish I had shown you guys some pictures. I went to a different and better known salon today. I explained my predicament to the stylist. She was understanding and said that
my hair looked healthy and smooth. She agreed that the ends could be trimmed off a bit and kept asking if the amount to be cut off was alright with me. She spent ages
trimming my hair. Now my hair looks normal again. I do think it was a bad haircut last time around.

I do wear braids a lot but my hair never turned upwards because of it. I do think fine hair requires more consideration and will be gentle with my updos.

All in all, I'm glad now. I will baby my hair. I'm excited because I ordered some nightblooming salve and oil.

Thanks for helping! I've got tons to read on this forum and growing hair has become such a lovely hobby for me now.