PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid performer and hair care?

CreatureBailey
November 14th, 2017, 06:20 PM
So I've seen that a mermaid school... compagny? Were hiring to have staff and I used to say being a mermaid performer was my dream job, but when I saw it I got hesitant. Water is apparently not so great with hair, I mean too much water weakens them cause it makes it lose cuticles and imagine how the state of my hair would be if I spent days per week, several hours, in water, or chlorine water.... shudder:

Having this job is one of my dreams, of course. But growing healthy hair extremely long is also one of my dreams. And I'm not sure if I can become a mermaid performer without having to say goodbye to long, healthy hair. They would probably get unhealthy from the over bathing in water, and the chlorine. Even if it was salt water it'd still be bad... and my hair, even if treated good, conditionned, kept out of any damaging stuff, is still prone to splits and breakage naturally... I guess it's cause I have fine thin hair...

Is there a way I could maintain my hair just as healthy and maintain healthy growth just like I want to despite doing this job? Without the health of my hair, growing extremely insanely long, this huge goal I've had for years, being at stake?

Khristopher
November 15th, 2017, 01:57 PM
mmh... Is a swim cap and a wig viable? You'd have your hair protected and a nice touch if the wig has a bright color. Of course it should be really well secured to the swim cap, IDK.

samanthaa
November 15th, 2017, 02:05 PM
If being a mermaid performer is your dream, go for it. Don't let you hair hold you back.

Get a chelating shampoo. Add a(nother) deep treatment, or two, to your weekly routine. Wet your hair to saturation before getting in the pool. You can also oil your length protectively before getting in the pool (if there's no specific rules against this). Maybe introduce microtrimming if you notice increased damage.

I don't this this is an or situation. I think you can do both, with proper care :D

StartingFrom0
November 15th, 2017, 03:39 PM
A job is more important.

Chromis
November 15th, 2017, 04:15 PM
We have a couple of mermaids here on the boards if you search! I'm sure they must have some advice.

I'd imagine for practice sessions you would be able to wear a swim cap, so that part would not be any different from the other swimming threads to give you something else to search for.

From what I can tell, the hygral fatigue thing is something that has been studied on nonattached hair and seems to all stem from a single study. Ktani's blog has a good breakdown on it: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2013/03/hygral-fatigue-hair-care-issue.html

Here's another, with more science! Yay science! http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca/2013/06/hygral-fatigue-and-coconut-oil-heavily.html

Ulessa
November 15th, 2017, 06:01 PM
In places like the blue lagoon in Iceland, it's recommended that you lather your hair with leave in conditioner before and after due to the silica/minerals in the water, so perhaps researching the right types of shampoo/conditioner that works well with the type of water you'll be in (seawater, chlorine) would help with damage. Even if your hair isn't in "top notch condition" it's still perfectly fine to have it long. I guess it might just be about adapting to different conditions, but of course you shouldn't let your hair hold you back when it comes to things like a dream job. Hair always grows back and you have your whole life to do it, but this might be a one time opportunity that you might end up regretting.