PDA

View Full Version : Japanese student banned for not dying naturally brown hair black

iforgotmylogin
November 14th, 2017, 01:21 PM
www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/11/11/national/media-national/lawsuit-over-students-dyed-hair-confronts-outdated-thinking-in-japan/#.WgtNx4-Cyt_

It certainly sounds plausible given how homogeneous the Nihonjin are, although having said that I can't find an official statement from the school, so take it with a grain of salt.

JadedByEntropy
November 14th, 2017, 01:49 PM
wow. yep. i believe it though. i've heard similar stories

CindyOfTheOaks
November 14th, 2017, 01:51 PM
That's just...wow...

Guitargod
November 14th, 2017, 01:57 PM
I can't believe what I just read. Similar to how Iceland used to force Vietnamese refugees to take Icelandic names.

Hairkay
November 14th, 2017, 02:26 PM
This story has been going around lately. It is possible. They aren't the only ones to be forcing body changes due to conformity. This is especially noticeable when it comes to hair. Some schools in the USA and other post colonial countries have pushed a certain kind of hair look for ages. Every now and then these sort of stories come up.

pandabarrier
November 14th, 2017, 06:54 PM
It’s a bit off topic, my mother is Taiwanese and her school enforced a short haircut, chin length bob, cut super straight (1960s in Taiwan). Every one looked the same in the school photo.

Beeboo123
November 14th, 2017, 08:49 PM
I used to get in trouble with my school all the time, because my hair is naturally dark brown instead of black, a shade too light. =\ it happens, not just in Japan. It’s an asian thing, I believe

samanthaa
November 15th, 2017, 08:19 AM
This story has been going around lately. It is possible. They aren't the only ones to be forcing body changes due to conformity. This is especially noticeable when it comes to hair. Some schools in the USA and other post colonial countries have pushed a certain kind of hair look for ages. Every now and then these sort of stories come up.

Yeah. In the US it hasn't been uncommon for schools to threaten suspension of black students who have "unruly" hair (afros, dreads, etc.), citing it as a distraction, when in reality it's hair and it behaves differently than the prevailing white European hair. In the US at least it's a lack of understanding and racial inclusivity (and likely a reliance on old outdated regulations). What's happening at this Japanese school sounds so out-of-the-norm, so obviously wrong, but we do it here too, just to a different group of people.

Hairkay
November 15th, 2017, 03:30 PM
It’s a bit off topic, my mother is Taiwanese and her school enforced a short haircut, chin length bob, cut super straight (1960s in Taiwan). Every one looked the same in the school photo.

In some countries in Africa some school expect their pupils to shave their hair off regularly. Some say children are at school to learn not to adhere to fashions. Others say that it prevents hair envy. Some say that in hot places this is more comfortable.

Yeah. In the US it hasn't been uncommon for schools to threaten suspension of black students who have "unruly" hair (afros, dreads, etc.), citing it as a distraction, when in reality it's hair and it behaves differently than the prevailing white European hair. In the US at least it's a lack of understanding and racial inclusivity (and likely a reliance on old outdated regulations). What's happening at this Japanese school sounds so out-of-the-norm, so obviously wrong, but we do it here too, just to a different group of people.

It's done in the Caribbean too though in some places this has changed each generation. Schools don't use the word "distraction" they do complain of untidiness or unruliness. In my mother's generation if you were privileged to get a place in an elite school then you had to make sure your hair conforms too.

StartingFrom0
November 15th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Oh that's horrible. Looking like everybody else. Oh God how boring...Hair is so important to our identity, how we express ourselves etc most of us who want really long hair put so much effort and we know we arebeing different. I can't imagine being forced to be exactly like everybody else.

truepeacenik
November 16th, 2017, 08:42 AM
In some countries in Africa some school expect their pupils to shave their hair off regularly. Some say children are at school to learn not to adhere to fashions. Others say that it prevents hair envy. Some say that in hot places this is more comfortable.

It's done in the Caribbean too though in some places this has changed each generation. Schools don't use the word "distraction" they do complain of untidiness or unruliness. In my mother's generation if you were privileged to get a place in an elite school then you had to make sure your hair conforms too.

"distraction" covered a lot of ground in dress codes.
When I was in school, (1970s, Texas) distraction was used for "Hippie hair," which they tried to use on me, unnatural colors, punk cuts, and African American hair.
We also had a no American flags on clothing rule (see Hippie) which was ignored for the Boy Scouts, who were all white.
Add a no earrings on males, and gender based length rules.
I was written up for a pixie, and again as it grew into a Dorothy Hamill. A few years later I'd be written up for waist length hair.
We strongly suspected it was because my hair was red, and therefore innately a "distraction."

Babetriz
November 16th, 2017, 10:02 AM
And in the article, it mentioned that she did dye her hair, but it caused her an allergic reaction (terrible black dyes are another problem all together) so not only are they stifling her self worth as a non black haired Japanese person, they are also literally hurting her in an attempt to get her to conform.