PDA

View Full Version : Moisture vs. Protein Strand Test

SallySue
November 14th, 2017, 10:53 AM
I just stumbled across this article on Bustle, "How To Tell If Your Hair Needs Protein Or Moisture So You Can Choose The Right Product"
https://www.bustle.com/articles/124772-how-to-tell-if-your-hair-needs-protein-or-moisture-so-you-can-choose-the-right

Thought this may be of interest to some of you. I just tried it, and my strand of hair snapped instantly without even pretending to try to stretch. (hello, winter.) I guess it's this week that I'll be trying out my new DevaCurl moisturizing mask.

Guitargod
November 14th, 2017, 01:20 PM
I'm pretty sceptic about any such claims. Hair is dead cells and doesn't have a metabolism. I very much doubt that protein can magically be reincorporated into the structure of damaged hair...

lapushka
November 14th, 2017, 04:11 PM
I'm pretty sceptic about any such claims. Hair is dead cells and doesn't have a metabolism. I very much doubt that protein can magically be reincorporated into the structure of damaged hair...

If hair is brittle and "snaps" easily it means it's got enough protein and it needs moisture.

If hair is stretchy, mushy, like often with bleach or dye-damaged hair, then it's got a lack of protein.

It's *real*, trust me. :)

Guitargod
November 14th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I'm not doubting that hair can have a lack of protein. Just the idea that trying to feed it protein will do any good :)

lapushka
November 14th, 2017, 04:38 PM
I'm not doubting that hair can have a lack of protein. Just the idea that trying to feed it protein will do any good :)

It will actually make it less stretchy and mushy yes, and it can *for sure* help bleach and dye damaged hair.

Rowdy
November 14th, 2017, 05:01 PM

It also depends on the size of the protein molecule, they have to be small enough or it won't do much good.