PDA

View Full Version : Thick, mostly straight hair ... how unique is it?

tlatzoteotl
November 12th, 2017, 07:32 PM
I followed the hair typing instructions yesterday after waiting several hours for my hair to completely dry (oh how I miss the warm weather...) and got 4.5 inches around my ponytail.

So, that confirmed what I already knew, but I'm curious about just how rare my hair type actually is. Almost every hairdresser I've ever been to has commented on my volume. Some say I have the most hair they have ever seen. I try to see it as a blessing, despite the fact that it is impossible to "style". That is, with curling irons, hair spray, etc. My poor mother...she tried so hard. LOL

Alysia
November 12th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Most of my family has very straight and thick fine hair. Before my hair started thinning, I had a 4.5 pony tail as well. I have a friend with similar hair. We both have the same troubles with styling-I had a perm straighten out in three days once.

Beeboo123
November 12th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Come to Asia, plenty of people have straight and thick hair. My pony is 3.75”, and it’s much thinner than most of my friends’. They often rebond (chemically straighten) their already straight hair to make it more managable, so it doesn’t look as voluminous. =[

Arciela
November 12th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Most if the women in my family (including aunts, cousins etc) have very thick hair (my pony tail is 6" last I checked) and straight or wavy. When I go to the salon they usually get three people to work on my hair and tell me the same thing. Also ask my how I can tolerate it lol. I don't know how rare it is tbh. I live in nyc so I see tons of people each day and I especially look at hair :) From my experience here I don't see much hair like mine, if at all.

tlatzoteotl
November 12th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Wow, 6 inches! That's awesome!

leayellena
November 13th, 2017, 01:20 AM
to me such hair is very rare. I see only permed by curling iron hair today and let down to be catch on seat belts, bag straps, clothes, other people, etc. and split ends from hell! like the god damn 70īs-90īs are back!

Andthetalltrees
November 13th, 2017, 01:48 AM
to me such hair is very rare. I see only permed by curling iron hair today and let down to be catch on seat belts, bag straps, clothes, other people, etc. and split ends from hell! like the god damn 70īs-90īs are back!

Wearing your hair down doesn't mean it's bad hair and certainly has little to do with hair type.

I have a pretty similar hair type my pony is 5" though, My mom has almost the exact same hair type expect her's is even thicker than mine. My aunt also has similar to us. I also use to get comments from hair dressers about how thick it was to manage haha.

lapushka
November 13th, 2017, 06:26 AM
I followed the hair typing instructions yesterday after waiting several hours for my hair to completely dry (oh how I miss the warm weather...) and got 4.5 inches around my ponytail.

So, that confirmed what I already knew, but I'm curious about just how rare my hair type actually is. Almost every hairdresser I've ever been to has commented on my volume. Some say I have the most hair they have ever seen. I try to see it as a blessing, despite the fact that it is impossible to "style". That is, with curling irons, hair spray, etc. My poor mother...she tried so hard. LOL

I have 4.25 inches. So just over iii. I do have some waves in my hair though, and I have got my hair layered past waist because it just got too much to deal with blunt cut. With layers I am able to grow it out more.

Dendra
November 13th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Woah, you lucky people. 6"??? Wow. I know there are downsides to it too, like hair taking ages to dry and tending to be heavy, but it just looks so glorious.

My hair is densely packed but fine, so overall it looks normal/fine, not at all thick. It's only when hairdressers start trying to cut it or highlight it that they realise how much is there.

Cg
November 13th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Until I became ill a few years ago, I had very thick, very fine, very straight hair (it's still the latter two). I've seen quite a few others like this also, including on this forum. My guess is that hairdressers take special note when someone arrives who will take extra time/effort to work on. I doubt this random combination is more rare than many other random combinations.

Dark40
November 13th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Mostly everybody on my dad's side of the family have fine thick hair but they always get it chemically relaxed to keep it straight.

lapushka
November 13th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Until I became ill a few years ago, I had very thick, very fine, very straight hair (it's still the latter two). I've seen quite a few others like this also, including on this forum. My guess is that hairdressers take special note when someone arrives who will take extra time/effort to work on. I doubt this random combination is more rare than many other random combinations.

Oh gosh, I have had more than a few hair dressers make a mistake in the amount of bleach or hair dye to use. I had one in particular who made that mistake twice in a row. She actually sighed every time she got 3/4 through my hair and the dye was gone. I mean, come on! I never went back to that one; she closed up shop anyway.

Cg
November 13th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Oh gosh, I have had more than a few hair dressers make a mistake in the amount of bleach or hair dye to use. I had one in particular who made that mistake twice in a row. She actually sighed every time she got 3/4 through my hair and the dye was gone. I mean, come on! I never went back to that one; she closed up shop anyway.

Yes, I wasn't clear. I meant that hairdressers comment (apparently not necessarily remember) when someone has more hair to work with than expected.

tlatzoteotl
November 13th, 2017, 09:25 PM
I don't really think of my hair as fine. The hair typing guide says that with fine hair individual strands are hard to see, and I can see individual strands clearly. Is there a way to measure strands to really define them as fine or medium other than can see/can't see?

Beeboo123
November 14th, 2017, 01:08 AM
I don't really think of my hair as fine. The hair typing guide says that with fine hair individual strands are hard to see, and I can see individual strands clearly. Is there a way to measure strands to really define them as fine or medium other than can see/can't see?

Yes! Dark hair is so much more visible than blonde, even if it is of the same fineness.

lapushka
November 14th, 2017, 07:24 AM

If you rub one strand between index finger & thumb, then a F hair is almost as if it's not there, a normal strand will be like a sewing thread, and a coarse hair much thicker than that.