PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for dandruff?

QueenMab
November 12th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Over the last week or so I've developed an extremely itchy scalp down the part and around the hairline. Then, this morning, TONS of dandruff! It's something I've never really struggled with before, so I'm looking for advice. At the moment I'm using this shampoo (https://herabeauty.ca/products/764302270201) and this conditioner (https://herabeauty.ca/products/764302280217), both of which I've been using for a year or so without problem. I recently (in the last month or so) went down to washing my hair only once or twice per week. I'm thinking maybe this is the result of the decreased wash frequency and the weather getting colder. For now, I'm going to start washing my hair every 2-3 days again and maybe conditioning the scalp for a bit, but other suggestions are much appreciated just in case that doesn't work :o Going home for the holidays a month from now and really hoping to be flake-free by then!

lapushka
November 12th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I would stop using the conditioner on the scalp (no-no in SD, but if it's regular dandruff, not sure, still to be on the safe side).

Then I would use H&S, for sure. A sulfate-free, gentler shampoo might not do the trick. And yes, try washing more frequently.

Ophidian
November 13th, 2017, 03:21 PM
If you were doing fine using that S&C (which contains salicylic acid, though in unknown quantity) with more frequent washes, I would personally just try washing more frequently for a bit to see if it clears up before switching to a harsher dandruff shampoo. If that doesn't work you can always try something like H&S, but I tend to have better luck problem solving when I go back to the last thing that worked and start from there instead of jumping to something entirely new (assuming it is new to you--if not by all means go for it, and of course if you want to try it then go for it--this would just be my approach based on my own experiences switching suddenly to sulfate shampoo from a sulfate-free routine).

If you are stretching washes for your length, you can always try scalp-only washes, which I manage with hair a bit shorter than yours by doing a loose french braid and bending forward over the tub or sink.

Aredhel
November 13th, 2017, 04:59 PM
I recently developed a tiny bit of a dandruff issue accompanied by an itchy scalp, and I've been using H&S Itchy Scalp Care with much success. I'd recommend it, but definitely do wash your scalp more frequently; my dandruff/itchy scalp problem began a few months after I stretched my washes to once a week, so along with the H&S, increasing my washes to twice a week has certainly been a game changer.