PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your “must-haves”

gustavonut
November 12th, 2017, 04:02 AM
Hello everybody, I’m back for now just to gather some info.

What are some products, materials, oils, creams, etc that you absolutely need for your hair?
For example I absolutely need scrunchies and claw clips, without them I would have hair flying all over the place and in my mouth 😡 I also cannot live without a very thick conditioner, suave and VO5 conditioner does nothing for my ends....
So what about you guys? :rolling:

Emma Rose
November 12th, 2017, 04:59 AM
I can not live without my Acure argan oil conditioner, Giovanni anti-frizz and Acure argan oil. My hair would be 10 times frizzier than it already is without them!

Hairkay
November 12th, 2017, 05:02 AM
Nothing for me.

reilly0167
November 12th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Oh my, I have a few that I can switch up here and there.

Oils and butter ( hair acts like its candy, teehee)
Wide tooth comb for detangling- a big must have.
Shea moisture JBCO leave in and curl enhancing smoothie
Denman brush- recently started using this, it distribute the product really well and great curl definition.
Aussie moist poo and condish and the 3mm
Pantene for natural hair ( brown bottle) line
Loreal total repair line
Cantu for kids curl cream
Trim scissors
Suave daily clarify shampoo ( I use whenever my hair needs a good wash)
Henna!!!!!!!!!
Satin bonnets and scarves

Its quite a list, I know, they are my go to's:)
Theres more but we be here forever:lol:

lapushka
November 12th, 2017, 07:21 AM
At wash day, my stylers (LOC/LCO method) and my 2 prong fork for updos. My WT comb (Hairsense) and my TT (Tangle Teezer). That's about it for real necessities. The basics are of course shampoo & conditioner. I'm not difficult with those as I'm currently using up my products.

Ophidian
November 12th, 2017, 08:10 AM
I can get away with nothing, but I prefer to have coconut oil, a silk scarf to wrap it while I sleep, and ideally a hair stick, a hair tie, and a few small octopus clips so I have a few ways to keep it comfortably up and out of the way.

amiraaah
November 12th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Coconut oil I have always had coconut oil in my home even when I was a little kid my mom used to apply it to my hair.

patches
November 12th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Coconut oil for me as well. Along with my boar bristle brush. My hair is still super short, but getting long enough that it flips out every weird which way. My brush really calms it down and helps it behave.

Dems
November 12th, 2017, 08:51 AM
My oils (Caster, Coconut and avocado)
Essential oils
My TT

:D

Cherriezzzzz
November 12th, 2017, 08:51 AM
This isn't a product, but my Tek brand Italian handmade long pin hair brush. It's soooooo worth the price. I've used other wood brushes and they don't come close. I'm also loving my Calia moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. That's all I use :) I was on a poo bar journey but finding this set of shampoo and conditioner from Calia, even after trying other kinds in same line, this moisturizing one is heaven on earth for my untamable mane!

Jo Ann
November 12th, 2017, 09:00 AM
If I had to be stranded on a desert island, I'll take my Hello Hydration conditioner and my argan oil serum, please! Oh, and a toothbrush... :p

My other things are "nice to have but I'll miss then dreadfully if they're not there," but my MUST HAVES help me deal with any experiments I might do :cheese:

pandabarrier
November 12th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Dandruff shampoo, moisturizing conditioner, salad bowl to dip my hair in conditioner and ACV, microfiber towel, baby brush, pins and hair toys.

MoonRabbit
November 12th, 2017, 09:52 AM
A thick conditioner is the only must have for me.

Robi-Bird
November 12th, 2017, 10:42 AM
One or two of my Lady Iduns, a sulfate heavy shampoo, and a couple of conditioners. My hair will do with fingercombing well enough.

Also laptop with solar or hydro power, and wifi so I can read the LHC.

Beeboo123
November 12th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Silk hair cap, and my perfumed camellia oil which happens to smell exactly like my bf. Everything else can be substituted

Groovy Granny
November 12th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Joico moisture and silver S&C, rose oil mix, biosilk lite serum, BBB detangling brush (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY96HVW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), a scrunchy, and an african butterfly clip for half up/full styles.

desu
November 12th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Conditioner, Argan oil, the tangle teezer and my joewell scissors.

LadyCelestina
November 12th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Shampoo and conditioner. That's it :)

H o n є y ❤
November 12th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Shampoo, gorilla gel, and a wide tooth comb.

Shigure
November 12th, 2017, 02:13 PM
I think that I need wide tooth com only.

DarleneH
November 12th, 2017, 02:50 PM
The things I buy repeatedly are tea tree oil and lavender conditioner (generic brand from Sally Beauty), Suave rosemary + mint conditioner, jojoba oil, wide tooth combs for scalp scritching, and hair elastics and pins.

Dark40
November 12th, 2017, 03:42 PM
On wash day I can't live without my Aussie Mega Moist Shampoo, Pantene Pro-V Moisturizing Intensive Mask, and Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer. I also can't live without my Isoplus Leave-In Conditioner. Or, my Mane N Tail Detangling Spray either. I also need to have my claw clips too! Because, I would have hair flying all over the place too, and it would also stay tangled as well.

Chromis
November 12th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Ficcare. Bar none, if I was only allowed one hair toy forever, this is it. I love my sticks and forks all summer, but they don't work well under winter hats and hoods come the chill. I sometimes use u-pins but find them fussy and not as comfy and I never could get spinpins to work. I loathe and detest claw clips and scrunchies.

Wide Tooth comb - my hands are rough from outdoor work, so finger combing doesn't work so well for me.

Shampoo bars and ACV - If I had to pick one brand I would pick Chagrin Valley, one bar would be tough, probably the Marshmallow one or the Nettle

Some kind of oil blend - I have several from swaps that I absolutely love, but that is not entirely helpful. My ahir really loves all of the Nightblooming blends I have tried though.

embee
November 12th, 2017, 04:44 PM
My Denman hairbrush and a MeiFa allwood hairstick will do.

I'd miss my other sticks, my wide tooth comb, braid-end elastics - but those two items would be enough in a pinch.

Reservechic
November 12th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Oils-Coconut, Grapeseed, and Amla
Shampoo -Shampoo Bars (Bobeam Shampoo bars)
Conditioner-Anything as long as it has great slip and is paraben, dye, and silicone free and the fragrance to it doesn't give me a headache or upset my stomach to the max
Detangling Tool-Denman No. 3 Brush
Stylers-Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (I happen to love a lot of stuff from Camille Rose Naturals, but these 2 are my absolute favs and what I happen to rely upon the most)
Miscellaneous-Hair Scrunchies (I always stay stocked up on lots of them), hair clips, conditioning caps, Hothead Thermal Conditioning Cap, and my Heutiful Hair Steamer.

Isobibbel
November 12th, 2017, 06:23 PM
My satin scarves that keep my hair from getting tangled and torn in my sleep.
Doctor Organics manuka honey conditioner.
my wide toothed wooden comb.
:)

Stub
November 12th, 2017, 07:54 PM
my bamboo bristle wooden brush, coney serum, and small cloth elastics for braids

Cheniaa
November 12th, 2017, 08:04 PM
A sulfate shampoo and a diluted white vinegar rinse to detangle. I can go without conditioner.

Arciela
November 12th, 2017, 10:06 PM
For me it would be my thick and curly tangle teaser, davines conditioner, suave coconut for cowash, sleeping cap and a hair stick. :flower:

leayellena
November 13th, 2017, 01:22 AM
conditioner that doesn´t necesarily afect the braid (I read about the oh so fancy elseve doing that, no joke), a comb, preferabily a wide tooth comb, and a hair stick (must buy that one too or make it myself some day).

Zebra
November 13th, 2017, 01:30 AM
A simple bar soap and coconut oil.

Salwety
November 13th, 2017, 06:29 AM
- Any kind of oil, except coconut
- Pantene conditioner
- wide toothed comb
- scrunchy

Frankenstein
November 13th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Sulfate shampoo
Satin bonnet for sleeping
Wide tooth comb
Wet Brush
Hair toy (stick or fork)

yamsha23
November 13th, 2017, 01:50 PM
* A shampoo (as natural as possible)
* Apple cider vinegar
* The 3 ingredients of an SMT: Aloe Vera, Honey, Conditioner (Earthly Delights is my fav forever :heartbeat)
* Wooden brush/comb + BBB
* Hair stick and scrunchies
* Ideally, a coney serum to seal the ends

lapushka
November 13th, 2017, 02:16 PM
I forgot to add my oil for the ROOM (rinse-out oil method).

Natashap
November 13th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Mineral oil (to prevent SD flares)
Dove fresh and clean shampoo(love it)
Head and shoulders shampoo -any kind
Scrunchies
WIDE TOOTH COMB
Almond oil
Lavender or eucalyptus EO

buzztobraids
November 13th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Sulfate free shampoo
Co-wash
Leave-in conditioner
ACV
Ribbon hair ties
Elastic headbands

Twig
November 13th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Now that it's colder, I need deep conditioner, the BBB, hat and winter scarf to keep the ends from blowing in the wind through the long walk to the parking lot. I need to keep my hair up in my work hair cover, so I like those ribbon looking elastics to keep it in a loose ponytail. At home, I've been keeping it up in either a spin pin or a buff. I wonder if a buff would be good to sleep in??? It's not long enough to stay braided, am getting really discouraged being just below shoulder and maaaaaaybe 4 inches from APL.

triumphator!
November 13th, 2017, 06:32 PM
My bare minimum is: watery V05 to CO-wash with, a fine tooth comb to scrape it back with, and a metal hair fork to keep it up.

But I do prefer to have the luxuries of coconut oil, thick coney conditioner for my length and vinegar rinses for my dandruff.

Rushli
November 13th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Currently I need my shampoo bar, vinegar rinse, marshmallow root, my leave in oil blend, and a LI. I also have the need to always be experimenting on something, though not always with my hair. I like lotions, sprays, bath bombs, perfumes and such too.

gingham_bay
November 13th, 2017, 07:49 PM
The only thing I really need in my hair routine is a Suave brand conditioner of any kind—right now I use the strawberry but it depends on whatever I feel like at the moment. Since I have discovered CO and using that, it has worked better for me than any other routine so it is the only product I need.

AmberLouise89
November 13th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Aveeno Pure Renewal shampoo- It's the only shampoo I've found that is gentle on my hair while still thoroughly cleaning it.
Aussie 3 Minute Miracle
Ouai Rose Hair & Body Oil
Coconut oil
Tangle Teezer
Clear elastic hair ties

ANoteToSelf
November 13th, 2017, 10:46 PM
The one thing I've found I can't live without is ACV ACV ACV!!!!! My hair loves it! I can't even manage my hair without it anymore, but I wouldn't want to. It gives my locks so much moisture, shine, and strength. Plus, it keeps frizz and static away, which is a tough task for a thick, wurly head. If I had to pick anything else, I'd say oil.

Krissycats
November 13th, 2017, 11:04 PM
My tangle teezer and spray detangler (currently using up Mane and Tail, used Pantene before). For most of my adult life, I couldn't live without hairspray, but I have kicked that habit, thank goodness.

gustavonut
November 14th, 2017, 02:32 AM
Thank you all very much for your detailed replies. It really helps me choose my haircare routine. I’ve been on here for years already and still am trying out new things and still don’t know what works best for my hair type! It would be great if someone would tell me exactly what to use :confused: lol.

Fia
November 14th, 2017, 04:31 AM
My necessities are pretty much everything I use (it's really pared down to a minimum).

- GM Cream Shampoo and Cream Rinse (for washing)
- GM 60-second conditioner (for moisture)
- Boar bristle brush
- Madora wide-tooth comb
- Biosilk
- Towel
- A hairstick or fork
- A hair elastic
- Silk bonnet

My routine in a nutshell:

Wash once every 7-9 days (depending on how scalp feels). Lather twice, first lather concentrate on scalp, second lather pull through length (gently fingercomb, at the same time removing shed hairs). Condition with the 60-second conditioner in between shampoo and rinse whenever hair starts to feel dry (more in winter now, than in summer). Dilute rinse in cool water and pour through hair, concentrating on length. Rinse lightly. Wrap in towel to soak up excess moisture. Spread small amount of Biosilk between palms and fingercomb length to distribute, lightly wipe remaining Biosilk over canopy. Detangle with wide-tooth comb when dry.

Evening. Take out bun of the day, detangle with fingers and wide-tooth comb. Brush with boar bristle brush to distribute sebum from scalp over length. Braid for the night. Tuck braid in under silk bonnet when going to bed.

Morning. Take out night braid, detangle with fingers and wide-tooth comb. Gather hair and put up in bun of the day, secure with hairstick or fork.

Ophidian
November 14th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Thank you all very much for your detailed replies. It really helps me choose my haircare routine. I’ve been on here for years already and still am trying out new things and still don’t know what works best for my hair type! It would be great if someone would tell me exactly what to use :confused: lol.

Unfortunately I think it's a lot of trail and error for everyone :). There is a thread you might want to check out where a bunch of people have posted their routines in detail, which is fun to read through and might give you more ideas:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3934
You can also search for users who have your hair type and see what they are doing.

gustavonut
November 14th, 2017, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately I think it's a lot of trail and error for everyone :). There is a thread you might want to check out where a bunch of people have posted their routines in detail, which is fun to read through and might give you more ideas:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3934
You can also search for users who have your hair type and see what they are doing.

Hey, thanks a lot! :D So far since I’ve joined I’ve tried almost everything under The Sun, and researched my hair type as well and so far it’s pretty limited but I’m getting a bit of an idea ;)

school of fish
November 14th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Hey, thanks a lot! :D So far since I’ve joined I’ve tried almost everything under The Sun, and researched my hair type as well and so far it’s pretty limited but I’m getting a bit of an idea ;)

Seconding the trial and error thing. Hair type similarities can certainly be helpful in finding products and methods that work for you, but it's not a guarantee that just because someone shares a hair stat with you that your care requirements are going to mirror theirs. It is a good starting point though.

What I found most helpful in building my routine was to seek the suggestions of people whose hair *behaves* like mine, regardless of texture. For example, I found some of my best tips through the posts of people with fine, thick 4-texture hair, because many of them seem to face similar tangle/build-up issues that my 1-texture hair does :)

Just another option to consider ;)

Pinni
November 14th, 2017, 08:14 AM
I found things, products and routines that are good when I tried different things. My must haves are now Mason Pearson brush ( I should have bought bigger maybe but I like very much this cheaper pocket size), coconut oil and silk pillow case.

leayellena
November 14th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Scrunchies and spin pins too

meteor
November 15th, 2017, 07:35 AM
- a stick/fork
- a wide tooth comb
- a silk scarf
- shampoo or 2-in-1
- a T-shirt/towel

gustavonut
November 15th, 2017, 10:45 AM
- a stick/fork
- a wide tooth comb
- a silk scarf
- shampoo or 2-in-1
- a T-shirt/towel

So simple! I love it ;)

Waveurly
November 15th, 2017, 01:38 PM
My must haves are:

-A wide toothed wooden comb
-a fine toothed comb
-scrunchie
-non sulfate shampoo
-calendula oil and olive oil
-white vinegar or lemon
-non silicone conditioner
-a satin pillowcase

leayellena
November 16th, 2017, 12:54 AM
coney conditioner to fight static in winter

gustavonut
November 16th, 2017, 12:56 AM
Yes! I wish there was a like button on posts.

Monsterkitti
November 16th, 2017, 03:56 AM
Must haves are;

Claw clips, not very exciting but they just stay put :)
A heavy conditioner
Tangle Teezer

Other stuff is nice but thats the minimum :)

school of fish
November 16th, 2017, 05:54 AM
To answer the question in question:

- clear sulphate shampoo & thick coney conditioner
- wide-ish tooth comb & tangle teezer
- henna
- citric acid for rinsing (so long as I have this water I have)

That's about it :)

Dendra
November 16th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Coconut oil
Thick conditioner
Unfragranced shampoo
Leave in cone spray
T-shirt / hair towel
Silk scarf
Claw clip or fork
Umbrella!

Ligeia Noire
November 16th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Pantene, my 100 year old conair comb, a hair stick and I can live.

Maiden_Fairhair
November 17th, 2017, 02:06 AM
I absolutely need ouchless grippy hair ties, claw clips, toothed headbands, snap-in barrettes, lightweight leave-in conditioner (ex. Super skinny serum, argan oil), round brush without the bristle cap thingys, and dandruff shampoo (ex. Nizoral, Head n' shoulders).

BlueKittyMeow
November 17th, 2017, 09:03 AM
For protection, I need my ribbons for braids and my satin sleep cap.

For products I LOVE the Shea Moisture conditioner with marshmallow, it's cone free and gives the best slip, it's heavenly.
Shampoo I use either a Shea Moisture one or if there is buildup the suave daily clarifying.

I have been using some of Nightblooming's oils and I really love them for keeping my ends nice.

... I actually take most of those (ribbons, cap, oils) with me wherever I go (never know if I'll stay over at my brother's house)

Twig
January 7th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Cleansing conditioner and argan oil in the winter. BBB. My hair and scalp are incredibly dry and these help.

victorian girl
January 8th, 2018, 12:59 AM
A scrunchie, a claw clip, a fabric covered headband, shampoo bar, conditioner, and I'm sure that later I'll need two smaller soft hair ties for making two braids before bed, as I used to do. I could get away without the shampoo bar and conditioner, but I don't think that the long-term effects woud be pleasing.

ETA: And, of course, a wooden brush and a wide tooth wooden comb. Otherwise my hair would probably become a one huge tangle.

Alex Lou
January 8th, 2018, 01:13 AM
Spin pin
Paddle brush
Sulfate shampoo
Any conditioner

leayellena
January 8th, 2018, 01:15 AM
Cone free conditioner on summer for often co-washes but cones sometimes are not a tabu, wide tooth comb for normal combing instead of brushing, oils, SLS/SLES free shampoo for washing once a week.
I am preparing for summer when I finish this haul.

Dark40
January 8th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Hello everybody, I’m back for now just to gather some info.

What are some products, materials, oils, creams, etc that you absolutely need for your hair?
For example I absolutely need scrunchies and claw clips, without them I would have hair flying all over the place and in my mouth �� I also cannot live without a very thick conditioner, suave and VO5 conditioner does nothing for my ends....
So what about you guys? :rolling:

Hi, my "must haves" are Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser Conditioner for co-washing, and I totally agree with you that I also need my claw clips too. Because, my hair would be flying all over the place too. My favorite kind of oil to use all over my hair is Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizing Lotion. My favorite shampoo and conditioner is Pantene Pro-V. I also love this product called, "SiliconeMix," as well. My hair loves silicones! They always leave my hair looking and feeling very healthy, soft, and shiny!!! I also need my Isoplus leave-in conditioner after each wash as well.

Beckstar
January 8th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Aussie Moist Conditioner

dvep
January 8th, 2018, 05:05 PM
I need my amazing Acca Kappa brush with its freakishly giant wooden spikes and my flaxseed gel. Both work wonders on my big, wurly curly head of hair.

andryssa
February 1st, 2018, 11:30 AM
Definitely a towel turban. It's just easier to put hair into the towel turban than twist the normal towel which doesn't have the proper size over hair.

AutobotsAttack
February 1st, 2018, 11:34 AM
Some sort of cone conditioner

Sulfate free shampoo

Clarifying/chelating shampoo

Oil/serum

Wide tooth comb

MorningPerson
February 1st, 2018, 02:59 PM
Some sort of cone conditioner

Sulfate free shampoo

Clarifying/chelating shampoo

Oil/serum

Wide tooth comb

Basically this. I might add ponytail holders or spin pins for workouts or when I need to do some serious eating. Never go out to dinner without ‘em.

hayheadsbird
February 1st, 2018, 03:33 PM
Silk pillowcase, that's the one thing I think has made the biggest improvement

Wide tooth comb,
Sulphate free shampoo
Cone free thick conditioner
Hair toy to get up through the day
Scrunchie to hold plait with at night

jenni626yz
February 1st, 2018, 04:13 PM
Garnier f ructis one minute masks

Wendyp
February 1st, 2018, 05:07 PM
Leave ins, been using nightblooming and aveda products, but recently mostly nightblooming as the oils just sink in to my hair. Everything else i use is interchangeable really.

Joyful Mystery
February 1st, 2018, 06:25 PM
My must haves are:

-Sulfate free, silicone free shampoo
-Silicone free conditioner
-Hair towel or a t-shirt
-Hairsense combs
-Claw clips
-Soft, super stretchy hair ties

Dark40
February 1st, 2018, 08:21 PM
Garnier f ructis one minute masks

I also love Garnier Fructis products myself. My must-haves of their products is the Garnier Fructis leave-in conditioning cream and sleek and shine milk.

yamsha23
February 2nd, 2018, 02:59 AM
* A shampoo (as natural as possible)
* Apple cider vinegar
* The 3 ingredients of an SMT: Aloe Vera, Honey, Conditioner (Earthly Delights is my fav forever :heartbeat)
* Wooden brush/comb + BBB
* Hair stick and scrunchies
* Ideally, a coney serum to seal the ends

Edit:
I found the coney serum. I now use Johnson baby oil (a few drops on damp washed hair). The other essential have not changed, although I don't know about ACV, I've used it for a while and I'm not sure it makes a difference :hmm:

Milady_DeWinter
February 2nd, 2018, 03:14 AM
I need for my hair...

My Tangle Teezer for curly hair (I LOVE it)
Hello Hidration/aussie 3MM conditioner, both works great for me.
ICON India oil or Schwarzkopt as a leave in for extra shine/hidration, and almost any cream to define my locks a bit. I like to mix it with any of those oils in my hand before putting it into hair :)
Tea rinses, I discovered them a month ago and I'm in love :o I'm a huge tea/infusion drinker, so i always have it at home. Black tea and peppermint work great on my hair.
I also like avocado oil, but it isn't a high need.

As complements, at least a hairstick, several basic hairpins (when I wear my hair loose I use them for the closests strands to my face) and scruchies.
Also, a microfiber towel or cotton t-shirt to dry my hair, and some octopus clips.

Another thing that I like, but as it isn't cheap I just buy it from time to time, is the hair treatment H'Suan Wen Hua from lush, it helped me a lot repairing my hair just after I drop dyes in 2016 :)

I think that's all by now :P

Edit: As I just use shampoo about once a week, I can use almost anyone, but some weeks ago I tried the GARNIER Ultra Doux Revitalizing Shampoo 5 plants in my parents home and I liked it a lot, left me with a great sensation of having ultra-clean hair. I left the hello hidration conditioner for 30 minutes after cleaning it (as I use to do always using shampoo), air dried, and it was a great hair day!

Rustam
February 2nd, 2018, 02:02 PM
my shampoo, conditioner, and coconut oil. Wide tooth comb. Boar bristle brush (slightly less necessary). Tons of hair ties; I never can have enough of these since my hair chews threw them like crazy.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2018, 03:41 PM
Edit: As I just use shampoo about once a week, I can use almost anyone, but some weeks ago I tried the GARNIER Ultra Doux Revitalizing Shampoo 5 plants in my parents home and I liked it a lot, left me with a great sensation of having ultra-clean hair. I left the hello hidration conditioner for 30 minutes after cleaning it (as I use to do always using shampoo), air dried, and it was a great hair day!

I love HE Hello Hydration as well, but it seems to be discontinued as you can't get those anymore in Belgium or The Netherlands.

I have the Ultra Doux 5 plantes as well, lovely shampoo for oily hair especially!