PDA

View Full Version : Hair stick/fork bun ideas needed

Moonfall
November 11th, 2017, 03:26 AM
Hello fellow longhairs,

Like a lot of you can probably understand, I do as much as possible to protect my hair, so that I limit damage to my hair as much as possible. This is why I have been wearing my hair in a bun for about one and a half year now. I have a fairly decent collection of hair sticks and forks by now, and I use them almost every single day. The thing is, I really want to learn how to do other buns using hair sticks and forks, because I've been wearing the same cinnamon bun all this time. I am specifically looking for buns that can be held by just a stick or a fork, nothing more. Can anyone help me out here?

Thank you in advance! :flowers:

Simsy
November 11th, 2017, 04:22 AM
The nautilus or lazy wrap bun are both reallly good options, and you can wear them braided for something different. I also like to insert one or two sticks under a pony and wrap the length around in an interesting fashion for something different; if you have enough length, this will probably hold itself.

AZDesertRose
November 11th, 2017, 04:34 AM
I like the Celtic knot bun for a stick- or fork-held bun, because the lazy wrap is touchy for me (sometimes it behaves and sometimes not so much :lol: Probably operator error). I have yet to try a nautilus (I should probably go look at tutorials and give it a try or ten).

I also like the disc bun, which is usually done horizontally, but I find that my hair spits out the hair toy if I do it that way, so I orient mine vertically. I usually start mine with a base of a ponytail held with an elastic (I like the ones that feel like they're made of heavy pantyhose/tights material), but the hair tie is optional; it just makes forming the bun a little easier for me.

That all being said, what works on one person's hair can be somewhere between "more trouble than it's worth" and "utterly impossible" on someone else's. My advice would be to go through the archives of the Hairstyle of the Month, under Hair Polls and Projects. Here's a list of all the featured styles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132079&highlight=half), first in alphabetical order by name, and then the next post has the styles grouped as Buns, Braids, etc., and it looks like the mods are keeping the list up to date. Many of the styles have tutorials linked in the first post or two.

There are also a lot of YouTube channels for styling long hair. There's a list of those around here somewhere but I don't have it bookmarked, unfortunately.

I hope that helps! :flowers:

Dendra
November 11th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Great thread, I too am in search of something other than a cinnabun. Thanks for the link AZDesertRose :)

Lisa Long4Life
November 11th, 2017, 06:07 AM
I like the Pha bun and I sometimes do a hypnobun - they are my main ones. :) I followed youtube tutorials to learn them.

Groovy Granny
November 11th, 2017, 10:46 AM
I found this listing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682&page=3&p=2608650&viewfull=1#post2608650) to be very helpful starting out; the whole thread has hundreds of ideas.

Trying them as HALF UPS (or adding the rest of your length around the formed bun) until you have the needed length also helps and gives you more style options.

Enjoy the journey :cheer: