PDA

View Full Version : Braid tassel breakage and winter woes.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 8th, 2017, 04:14 PM
so after keeping an eye on it for a bit, im realizing that the breakage and splits im seeing are TOTALLY from wearing braids.
i am kind of sad because buns tend to give me headaches. but my ends must be SUPER fragile because the winter really is doing this.
all the rubbing and the fleece not to mention, no humidity! its not the actual ties itself because i have tried several different kinds.
i wont wrap my ends in silk because i have to leave the house and i just cant wrap my entire tassel in silk ribbons.
i need to figure out some way to put my hair up without
1. triggering a headache and 2. without causing friction because its winter and i wear a beanie 24/7.
anyone have advice? buns that would work at my, thinner and shorter length without triggering a headache?
higher buns are the worst but low LWB and cinna buns just wont seem to hold for me.

Beeboo123
November 8th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Small claw clips to hold the end of your braid (fold the tassel back before clipping)? Lining your hats with silk or wearing a silk sleep cap, then your hat on top?

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 8th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Small claw clips to hold the end of your braid (fold the tassel back before clipping)? Lining your hats with silk or wearing a silk sleep cap, then your hat on top?

I never thought about folding my tassel up and tying it like that... hmmm/ It looks kind of funny and eats up my length but this might work lol

Shorty89
November 8th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I can't remember if I've suggested this to you before but what about a crown braid or heidi type braids? They can protect the ends better but shoudln't hurt.

rmani
November 8th, 2017, 06:09 PM
With my BSL hair, I find it's a little too long to wear down in braids for the same reason - the tassel gets shredded by chairs, seatbelt, purses, and stuff at work (stethoscope, gowns, uniform, etc...). I either put my braids up (milkmaid or with a Ficcare) {ps if your hair is too short use a braid that doesn't eat too much length like fishtail}, a french twist secured with a Ficcare, or a loose cinnabun secured with a Ficcare or multi-pronged fork (3-4 prongs). It's too short to use a single stick or 2 pronged forks/helix as I find I have more tension and therefore tension headaches using those. I am hopeful that will change with more length :) Good luck!

lithostoic
November 8th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Figure 8 buns don't cause headaches for me

Chromis
November 8th, 2017, 06:43 PM
The fourth and fifth suggestions in this thread should work at your length: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85651

Note: You might need to use archive.org to see the Ficcare braid link

Beeboo123
November 8th, 2017, 06:47 PM
I never thought about folding my tassel up and tying it like that... hmmm/ It looks kind of funny and eats up my length but this might work lol

Yeah it does look a little silly, but it saves my ends. What about tucked in french braids? I don’t know if your hair is too long for that, but might be worth trying... It distributes weight a lot better than buns

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 8th, 2017, 06:52 PM
I can't remember if I've suggested this to you before but what about a crown braid or heidi type braids? They can protect the ends better but shoudln't hurt.

Others have suggested braids like that but because it takes so long to do, my wrist just can’t. I have tendonitis, plus braids close to the scalp also trigger headaches most of the time too. And my hair is.. thin. Freshly washed it’s ok, but if it’s been a day or two a braid like that would look awful. I have pretty bad scalp cleavage and some bare spots due to traction alopecia from 5 years ago, never grew back fully. Anything that will show scalp I can’t do. I think the Heidi braid is a bit more of a faux crown braid? So I could do it. But the issue with that one is I don’t have enough length to wrap around my big head.. my braid is long enough to go about half way around lol. It looks weird to me.

Shorty89
November 8th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Others have suggested braids like that but because it takes so long to do, my wrist just can’t. I have tendonitis, plus braids close to the scalp also trigger headaches most of the time too. And my hair is.. thin. Freshly washed it’s ok, but if it’s been a day or two a braid like that would look awful. I have pretty bad scalp cleavage and some bare spots due to traction alopecia from 5 years ago, never grew back fully. Anything that will show scalp I can’t do. I think the Heidi braid is a bit more of a faux crown braid? So I could do it. But the issue with that one is I don’t have enough length to wrap around my big head.. my braid is long enough to go about half way around lol. It looks weird to me.

Okay. I'd guess that the interlaced braids would also be too much?

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 8th, 2017, 07:03 PM
The fourth and fifth suggestions in this thread should work at your length: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85651

Note: You might need to use archive.org to see the Ficcare braid link

Figure 8 buns don't cause headaches for me
I looked up these buns: infinity, and figure 8 and they all seem to require a twisting motion? Wouldn’t that make the bun tight? I am imagining it giving me a terrible headache but I’ll try it now.. watching these videos on how to do it though makes me feel like I still don’t have enough length.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 8th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Okay. I'd guess that the interlaced braids would also be too much?

If you could link them to me, that would be great. But I don’t know what that is!

lithostoic
November 8th, 2017, 07:04 PM
If you twist it really tight then yah lol

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 8th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Soooo.. I tried it. Seems ok.
Did I do this right???
https://s1.postimg.org/3evxwla7v3/IMG_5529.jpg
https://s1.postimg.org/1jjd3yxzz3/IMG_5535.jpg

I dont like how all my hair sticks and forks are poking me in the neck though lol

Ophidian
November 8th, 2017, 07:27 PM
I asked a question in the APL to BSL thread recently about updos for the headache prone and got this very helpful reply from user ReadingRenee. It has been a lifesaver when I need to get my hair up and secure for the day without any pulling--it feels almost weightless. Might be worth a try?

ETA: I usually use three clips--one in the center, and one around the perimeter on each side. My favorites right now are small octopus clips, which I'm pretty sure is what is shown in her picture. Another style that is comfortable for me is a french braid folded up and clipped in place with one of the same clips. Your hair might be a bit long for that but I find it more comfortable than a peacock twist since the braid forms a base that distributes the weight better for me.

I used smaller to medium sized clips, and I found that small octocpus clips or spider clips actually worked the best. One of my favorite no pull hairstyles was to twist my hair like I normally would at the base, like for a peacock twist, clip it, and then wind my hair around the clip like a cinnabun. Then I would either tuck my hair into the clip or I would put a tiny clip or bobby pin to hold the ends. I have pictures, I hope it is helpful.

This is one of my loose claw clip buns:

https://i.imgur.com/gVPzsAh.jpg?1

Another one:

https://i.imgur.com/1urMXzh.jpg?1
And this is the claw clip with my hair wound around it. I wore this a lot, and it looked different every time.

https://i.imgur.com/ATNKH5c.jpg?1
Also, I used to have lots of trouble with spin pins until I discovered a few tutorials on youtube about how to use them. I used to need 3 but now I can get by with 2. Also, I like to use a combination of a clip and a spin pin to distribute the weight. For example today I have my hair in a twist held with a clip but the top part is looped over and held with a spin pin. Its very comfortable. I hope some of these ideas help. :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 8th, 2017, 07:30 PM
I asked a question in the APL to BSL thread recently about updos for the headache prone and got this very helpful reply from user ReadingRenee. It has been a lifesaver when I need to get my hair up and secure for the day without any pulling--it feels almost weightless. Might be worth a try?

I definitely need visual explanations of these, aka videos! But thank you.

Ophidian
November 8th, 2017, 07:32 PM
I definitely need visual explanations of these, aka videos! But thank you.

Did the photos not show in the quoted post? Basically all you (or I anyway) do is start with a twist like I'm going to do a peacock twist, but then clip it where I want the middle of the bun to be and wind my hair around the clip like I'm doing a cinnabun. Then I use two more clips (one on either side) to hold it in place.

ETA Ohhhhhh videos. Sorry I can't be of any help there, but it is very simple and pretty intuitive to do, just clip and wrap around the clip with more clips on the side to hold :)

Shorty89
November 8th, 2017, 08:26 PM
I do my figure rights slightly to the side the sticks don't like me.

Here's the interlaced braids

https://youtu.be/lG4MTltnX7M

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 8th, 2017, 08:31 PM
I do my figure rights slightly to the side the sticks don't like me.

Here's the interlaced braids

https://youtu.be/lG4MTltnX7M

very beautiful, wish i could, i cant really get a hang of french braiding

Shorty89
November 8th, 2017, 08:52 PM
very beautiful, wish i could, i cant really get a hang of french braiding

Well, it is dutch braiding not french. :P Seriously though, that's too bad.

Corvana
November 8th, 2017, 11:22 PM

Yes, but it's two braids. I don't know if your wrists would be able to handle it, though! But the gist of heidi braids (or milkmaid braids, they're the same thing) is to make two english braided pigtails (loose-ish at the top), and then flip them up over your head and secure them there. Length isn't much of an issue with them, I don't think. As long as half your hair braided can make it over half your head, it's fine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VcYTvknrVw

Bambi
November 9th, 2017, 12:19 AM

ETA: I usually use three clips--one in the center, and one around the perimeter on each side. My favorites right now are small octopus clips, which I'm pretty sure is what is shown in her picture. Another style that is comfortable for me is a french braid folded up and clipped in place with one of the same clips. Your hair might be a bit long for that but I find it more comfortable than a peacock twist since the braid forms a base that distributes the weight better for me.

This is a really good tip! Has helped me many times, aswell as my Ficcare.

Recently I’ve started to use scrunchies with my buns as, IMO, they don’t pull my hair as tight as regular ties does. Invisiboobles work for me aswell.

Does your scalp get tender?

proo
November 9th, 2017, 05:39 AM
My tassel protection method:
Braid all the way to the end
Then use one piece of thick yarn/roving, wrapping it around the braid a few inches from the end, braiding now with the original braid as one of your 3sections
Braid on down incorporating the ends of the original braid in completely
Secure with a small claw clip

I use roving that matches my gray/brown hair color and provides a nice thick tassel which I trim to my desired length

lapushka
November 9th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Maybe braid, then fold your braid to the inside, so tuck your tassel underneath, so it's protected by the nape hairs, and stick a few bobbies in there.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 9th, 2017, 12:27 PM
This is a really good tip! Has helped me many times, aswell as my Ficcare.

Recently I’ve started to use scrunchies with my buns as, IMO, they don’t pull my hair as tight as regular ties does. Invisiboobles work for me aswell.

Does your scalp get tender?
My scalp gets very tender. I wore the “figure 8” bun I made last night out but used a two prong fork instead and it seemed to be alright! No headache at the end of the night though I only wore it for a few hours.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 9th, 2017, 12:31 PM
Yes, but it's two braids. I don't know if your wrists would be able to handle it, though! But the gist of heidi braids (or milkmaid braids, they're the same thing) is to make two english braided pigtails (loose-ish at the top), and then flip them up over your head and secure them there. Length isn't much of an issue with them, I don't think. As long as half your hair braided can make it over half your head, it's fine!

Thank you for the video, I think I was confused on what the end results are supposed to look like. I might be able to do it. It’s not entirely my style.. but I will give it a try for the work days where I don’t care how I look or are at least wearing some make up so I don’t look like an actual milk maid and frumpy. lol.

Corvana
November 9th, 2017, 02:58 PM
My scalp gets very tender. I wore the “figure 8” bun I made last night out but used a two prong fork instead and it seemed to be alright! No headache at the end of the night though I only wore it for a few hours.

Maybe try to find forks with more prongs? Currently I've got two forks, and have found the 4 prong to be much more comfortable (and able to hold slightly looser) than the 2 prong. Granted I don't have a ton of length, so 80% of my buns are half-ups, but it's still an interesting thing for me and gives me hope that later on a biiiiiig ol fork will help on bad days. More prongs means more weight spread, so I think the hypothesis would hold up.

Thank you for the video, I think I was confused on what the end results are supposed to look like. I might be able to do it. It’s not entirely my style.. but I will give it a try for the work days where I don’t care how I look or are at least wearing some make up so I don’t look like an actual milk maid and frumpy. lol.

Haha yeah! I thought that might've been the case. I really like them, and they used to be my favorite hairstyle when I would "do" my hair. Of course this was back when I'd either have my hair loose, in a peacock twist, or double ponytail bun-things :laugh:

Andthetalltrees
November 9th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Amish braid variation or braid loops are my go-tos if I have/want to have my hair up because buns are icky! For the Amish one make one single braid with a third of your hair, braid that with the bottom section, thread a ribbon through the middle of the top braid fold up the braid and tie the ends with the ribbon. Braid loops are just English braids that fold back up and secured somehow

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 9th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Maybe try to find forks with more prongs? Currently I've got two forks, and have found the 4 prong to be much more comfortable (and able to hold slightly looser) than the 2 prong. Granted I don't have a ton of length, so 80% of my buns are half-ups, but it's still an interesting thing for me and gives me hope that later on a biiiiiig ol fork will help on bad days. More prongs means more weight spread, so I think the hypothesis would hold up.

Haha yeah! I thought that might've been the case. I really like them, and they used to be my favorite hairstyle when I would "do" my hair. Of course this was back when I'd either have my hair loose, in a peacock twist, or double ponytail bun-things :laugh:

I’ve been wanting to get a 4 prong fork but for 1, I can’t seem to find one I like and 2, can’t seem to find one that isn’t 30$+. I just don’t spend more than 15$ on hair toys.

enting
November 12th, 2017, 02:24 AM
Would you have any interest in a hair glove, or would that not help because it might leave the tassel out?

My other idea would be to braid a single side braid or rope, then clip the end to the other side of your head in back so that it looks like a drape. Use whatever clip or pin method hurts your scalp the least. I think thinner braids look especially good in this style, but any thickness would probably be lovely. Alvrodul's pictures are my inspiration for this sort of thing. It's a similar concept to protecting the tassel by folding up a braid, but with a very different look.

Siv
November 12th, 2017, 03:04 AM

I use spin pins instead of bobby pins, which distribute the weight better IMO and I rarely get headaches from them. Or I use little claw clips, which never gives me any tension headaches. I only do that for work since I don't like the look of it that much (but the frumpier the better in my line of work :lol:) . Again, I don't care about hair cleavage for work, but when I'm off, I cover it. I take the hair on the crown of my head, divide it in two sections, and clip it away. Then, when I braid the lengths, I pull one crown-section diagonally across the cleavage to the opposite braid, and braid it in. Then I do the same with the other section. I just put up a picture of it on my instagram, which is linked in my siggie. I'm not sure I'm allowed to link the picture directly in the post? Either way, it's the latest picture right now, just posted a few seconds ago.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 18th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Heidi braid worked for me, for a bit. The headache came though, after 6 hours at work. But I think it may have been a lingering one.
I will try using spin pins like above suggested. I dont want anyone to be able to see clips and such in my hair.
Low buns with the 4 prong fork or two pong fork seem to be ok now though.