PDA

View Full Version : A way to moisturize the outermost canopy only, without weighing it down?

DarleneH
November 8th, 2017, 08:22 AM
My upper layer is frizzly compared to the under-layers. I don't do any heat processing but just environmental exposure, brushing/combing, and time tend to make it drier and damaged compared to the undersides. Are there any product recs and methods for just moisturizing that layer that won't make it heavier and straighter compared to the rest of my hair?

ReptilianFeline
November 8th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Maybe a small amount of coconut oil?Warm it in your hands, then smooth your frizzyness with your hands. Might work?

lapushka
November 8th, 2017, 09:23 AM
I use the rinse-out oil method to moisturize my ends mainly. But perhaps it is something to try. Keep it on the lengths only, though. And only use a couple of drops (10 drops, no kidding!). You wash your hair, then you apply the oil to wet, wrung out, hair, then you apply your conditioner.

It might work. It might not; just don't think hey I can use more oil!

Jo Ann
November 8th, 2017, 10:44 AM
My upper layer is frizzly compared to the under-layers. I don't do any heat processing but just environmental exposure, brushing/combing, and time tend to make it drier and damaged compared to the undersides. Are there any product recs and methods for just moisturizing that layer that won't make it heavier and straighter compared to the rest of my hair?
I WCC and LOC. When I apply my first conditioner in the shower and my leave-in conditioner after I've towel-dried my hair, I do it from roots to tips. For me, that helps cut down on the frizzies on top. YMMV.

Others here apply a light coating of aloe vera gel (the clear stuff, not the colored!) or oil to their frizzies to help tame them.

Anje
November 8th, 2017, 01:04 PM
I prefer moisture treatments to leave-ins, for not weighing things down. Products that don't rinse out really well tend to leave my hair feeling weird, and my hair absorbs very little though, so I avoid coatings.

DarleneH
November 8th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Thanks, guys, I will try some of these. I saw in another thread where someone commented that her hair is best when she uses cones sometimes along with her cone-free stuff, so I may try slicking on just a little of a coney conditioner and see if that helps.

lapushka
November 8th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Thanks, guys, I will try some of these. I saw in another thread where someone commented that her hair is best when she uses cones sometimes along with her cone-free stuff, so I may try slicking on just a little of a coney conditioner and see if that helps.

Oh, I had no idea you were cone-free. That may be one of the first things to try then, yes. Good luck!

Or, a siliconey serum right after your wash, spread through palms and smoothed over the ends, and the remainder on the canopy.

DarleneH
November 8th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Thanks, that bit of cones might just do the trick. :) I've avoided them because of the build-up from extensive use of them. I also stretch washes as long as possible, and am water-only unless I think I need a more thorough sudsing. Basically I ascribe to benign neglect as much as possible, but I can't bare to go completely SO (sebum only). So the whole time I've been thinking not doing all that manipulating of my hair would keep it from frizzing, yet it's doing it anyway. Also even though at first when I was trying to go as natural as possible my roots were really oily and that made it out to the ends, I guess now my scalp has completely adjusted and isn't producing as much oil as it used to. So maybe between less oil production to make it to the ends and a bit of environmental/sun/wearing a hat damage happening, I'm getting some frizz.

It's probably going to make me lose some fluffiness and fullness anyway, but I don't see any way but to try adding back just a bit of cones/oils/leave-in conditioner per you guys' recommendations. Thanks again!

Lady Stardust
November 8th, 2017, 03:33 PM
I sometimes use the Body Shop Radiance Detangling Spray, which is cone free. It's described as a leave in conditioner, but I just spray it on the canopy after conditioning and blotting hair dry. It makes my hair feel lovely and doesn't weigh it down, which most products do. it doesn't eliminate frizz altogether but certainly helps.

Jo Ann
November 8th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Couldn't hurt, Darlene! Let us know how it works out!

pandabarrier
November 8th, 2017, 07:21 PM
I second the aloe vera gel. You could dilute some drinkable aloe vera gel (sold at health food stores) in distilled water, put in a spray bottle and mist your canopy to tame the frizz.

leayellena
November 9th, 2017, 12:56 AM
moisturizing conditioners without silicones.

ghanima
November 9th, 2017, 04:22 AM
I prefer moisture treatments to leave-ins, for not weighing things down. Products that don't rinse out really well tend to leave my hair feeling weird, and my hair absorbs very little though, so I avoid coatings.

This. It's made all difference in the world for my hair when I stopped using leave-ins, oils, etc and began to rinse very thoroughly whatever conditioner I was using. I also began to keep the conditioner on for half an hour, before rinsing it out. It depends on the type of hair, my hair too absorbs very little.

sumidha
November 10th, 2017, 06:21 PM
I use a teeny teeny tiny bit of my detangler, and run my hands super gently and quickly over the canopy hair that is frizzing.

lithostoic
November 10th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Separate the top layer out and run some serum on it! I like the sleek&shine by Garnier.

Groovy Granny
November 10th, 2017, 09:52 PM
I love BIOSILK Therapy Lite serum; a couple drops will do 'ya ;)
It is great for Winter fly-aways and humidity frizz.
I added some rose essential oils to it and it smells divine!
Amazon has great deals on this at times; the prices tend to be much cheaper than in local stores!