PDA

View Full Version : What's your comfort-length?

lapushka
November 7th, 2017, 09:07 AM
You know, the length you can't grow past and you settle into?

For me, in the past it has been classic. I felt I could not grow past that length without it becoming a "hassle" to me. Just too hard to deal with.

Have *you* reached a length like that?

What is it?

Cg
November 7th, 2017, 09:12 AM
I did when I was younger and had much thicker hair. Whenever it approached knee, the weight gave me constant headaches (I wore it down) so I pixied. At my age and sparsity now, weight likely won't be a problem, but bunning and general maintenance may be.

lucid
November 7th, 2017, 12:32 PM
I have not reached such length yet - 1a hair, not very thick, so super easy to care for. However, I am approaching a length where I no longer can wash my hair like I normally do, so I'll have to find another method in a couple of months.

And the toilet situation, I have started wrapping the braid around my neck since I'm closing in on "sitting on hair" length :p

school of fish
November 7th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Where I am now - tailbone length :) Actually I think my natural comfort zone is somewhere in the range between hip and tailbone - once my thickness fills out the hemline I may find hip length more appealing again. We shall see when my remaining layers grow out!

I do recall the fun flippiness I had when my hair was in the chin-to-shoulder range - that's another comfort zone for me. If I were ever to cut back drastically it would be to that range :D

Rushli
November 7th, 2017, 01:04 PM
I always thought it would be between TBL and CL. I got there and it annoyed me. I did like it up, but detangling was a pain and I never wore it down. Braiding also got hard. I figured I would grow to FTL, but back to CL for a bit, then maybe TBL, then possibly even up to hip.

Turns out a thin hemline is what make my hair more difficult. That and finding the right film formers to coat my hair and make it lovely again. lol Now I want to grow to knee and we will see what happens after that, but I dont I'll be going shorter than CL again.

Jo Ann
November 7th, 2017, 01:13 PM
I haven't found it yet. Uncharted territory for me :p

Corvana
November 7th, 2017, 01:50 PM
It used to be about BSL? Like, I'd hit there and then cut back to about shoulder and regrow. But that was before actively wanting long hair, and was more of a "it's just there" situation.

Presumably now that I want it more, and now that I've got a place to go when needing help with easy ways to put it up and such, I won't get annoyed there and cut back.

lapushka
November 7th, 2017, 02:23 PM
I have not reached such length yet - 1a hair, not very thick, so super easy to care for. However, I am approaching a length where I no longer can wash my hair like I normally do, so I'll have to find another method in a couple of months.

And the toilet situation, I have started wrapping the braid around my neck since I'm closing in on "sitting on hair" length :p

I have a claw clip nearby the toilet. I just pin it up whenever I need to go in the middle of the night (because it's down at night); or I flip it around the neck - that always helps. It's getting to that length again, that's a given for me at TBL.

Shorty89
November 7th, 2017, 03:03 PM
It's past classic for me too. I think it's a big adjustment after that. You have to change how you brush and everything.

Beeboo123
November 7th, 2017, 04:50 PM
I haven't found it yet. Uncharted territory for me :p

Same here. So far, it seems that I haven’t had to make any changes to my routine. I know that there is hair attached to my head, but I pretty much ignore it all the time, except when washing.

Jo Ann
November 7th, 2017, 05:09 PM
The only BIG change I've had to make was moving my hair opposite of the retractable seatbelt...that hurts when you release the seatbelt and your hair gets retracted with it! Putting my hair up has only increased my styling ability :p

Jo Ann
November 7th, 2017, 05:11 PM
I have a claw clip nearby the toilet. I just pin it up whenever I need to go in the middle of the night (because it's down at night); or I flip it around the neck - that always helps. It's getting to that length again, that's a given for me at TBL.
I hear you on the "flip the hair around the neck" trick, Lapushka! Just feeling my hair hit the top of my legs when I sit (I tend to slouch) is enough to get me to move it out of the way.

JadedByEntropy
November 7th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Mine has always been an " 'its just there' situation" because of the texture and super thickness :laugh: i really liked the BCL line exactly[and no shorter/longer], and the ease but not the look of the super short :/ so there isn't much i can go back to except bcl, which doesn't feel like enough change to change it. I have hit an uncomfortable wall nearing FTL for the second time as i got spooked last time i was this far along too...but knee is so close now that i can't see backing up any time soon even if i am getting pretty fed up with it

Five of Five
November 7th, 2017, 07:35 PM
TBL seems to be where I've settled.

For the last couple of years, I've been growing to just past TBL and cutting back to hip. Hip feels a little short to me, especially in braids, but somewhere between TBL and classic is where it starts irritating me with its weight and the fact that it is too long for my arms to braid comfortably.

Robi-Bird
November 7th, 2017, 07:49 PM
I haven't hit it yet but my goal is classic because I think passed that it will get too be too much trouble for me to WANT to deal with it, though my mother swears I'll just end up growing to terminal out of curiosity. Right now my hair is really actually easy. Wash, condition, leave in, detangle, braid or bun with a stick. Mostly I use sticks and my hair is up in 30seconds, and I like the results of the different buns I can do. Time matters to me. Ultimately, I'm lazy, and I don't want to get up early enough to fuss with my hair.

Flowerness
November 7th, 2017, 09:28 PM
Its funny, but I was just thinking about this! I'm at BCL right now, and it is almost too much for me. I prefer to keep it down a lot, and it gets in the way. It is better now, but when you swing your hair behind your shoulders...just to have the middle part of your hair in the back swing around and get in the way? Irritating. I think I liked Hip + better. But even then, my ends would pop out when I'd do a bun of some sort. So, I trim my hair growth each month so I don't go beyond BCL. My hair still gives me triangle head, when it is whurly day 1 hair. What do I like about now? It stays up SO much easier! Claw clips don't always hold the weight easily, but when you get it just right it stays nicely. What do I find fun at BCL with whurly iii hair? I frequently twist my hair up into a fast (normal, nothing fancy) bun and use a claw clip. Sometimes, when I remove the claw clip, it stays! Like, for 30 minutes or more, if I don't wiggle my head too much, the bun stays in place! It definitely did not do that at Hip! (And, yes, I'm a dork, but it makes me giggle.)

Jo Ann
November 7th, 2017, 09:54 PM
I hear you on the part about the bun staying in place, Flowerness! Youngest Dear Son liked pulling my hair stick out before my hair got to hip--now it holds the bun and, to be honest, when he pulls it out now, I don't feel it being pulled out.

sumidha
November 7th, 2017, 10:58 PM
Between classic and FTL. I really don't see myself growing longer. :)

yahirwaO.o
November 7th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Im minority but for me is APL-BSL ish. I feel comfortable and with confidence at that lenght.

It looks full with my fine hair and have the sense of lenght withouth those extra inches tha would requiere braiding or bunning (which is not me at all)

I also like waist, the way it flows without being extremely long and makes a nice figure to every torso I think.

Stray_mind
November 8th, 2017, 12:03 AM
I haven't been longer than Hip yet, so i can't really say. I think TBL will be pretty comfortable. I don't plan on growing past that either way.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 8th, 2017, 04:56 AM
I don't know that I've reached mine yet :p

embee
November 8th, 2017, 05:52 AM
I think I've been there for a few years now. My Terminal length seems to be around Classic. Ends are very thin, and some racers keep trying for knee, but this length is great for my updo, fairytail ends are essential, and hair "feels long" in my mind. :)

Sad: my hair has thinned with age and thyroid, so I can no longer do a nice fake crown braid (braid wrapped aound head) style - I miss that, it always felt *so elegant*!

Ligeia Noire
November 8th, 2017, 06:33 AM
Haven't find mine yet. It is brushing calf already and I want to let it grow more. My face framing layers have to catch the rest though. Anyway, I never think about it unless it's Sunday and I have to wash it. It's always out of the way and up so no issues at all. If I only wore it down I would have been fed up with it like anyone else. I hate hair in my way when I am doing something. Even at shoulder I wore it ponied. So yeah I remain in limbo waiting to see.

Anje
November 8th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Somewhere approaching fingertip, I hit the point where the length was making it a hassle and I wasn't really enjoying it anymore. Braids got caught in my lap and sat on, things like that. Infinity buns took up too much real estate for me to wear a hat above them. I could finally wrap a braid around my head, but taper made the weight unbalanced.

Tailbone was far more comfortable for me.

lapushka
November 8th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Somewhere approaching fingertip, I hit the point where the length was making it a hassle and I wasn't really enjoying it anymore. Braids got caught in my lap and sat on, things like that. Infinity buns took up too much real estate for me to wear a hat above them. I could finally wrap a braid around my head, but taper made the weight unbalanced.

Tailbone was far more comfortable for me.

I'm gonna have to keep that in mind. My goal is to grow past classic for "once" in my life. Classic is my comfort length, I know that and growing beyond it is *very* difficult for me, so we'll see. :flower:

DweamGoiL
November 8th, 2017, 04:28 PM
As an adult, for me it's WL. I grow down to BCL every now and again and then find myself cutting back to WL. It gives me the greatest flexibility by being able to wear it down often and it doesn't look extraordinarily out of place at the office.

As a child, it was routinely CL, but it wasn't like I was taking care of it myself :) .

Dark40
November 8th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I don't know. I haven't reached mine yet. My goal is to grow to either Thigh length or Ankle length. I'll see if I can handle it at Thigh length first, and see if it will grow any longer than that. I also want to see if I can also handle it at Ankle length as well. I know that I will have to make a lot of changes once I reach those lengths as far as washing, combing, and brushing.

spidermom
November 8th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Well, I'm pretty darn comfortable at collarbone length. I can do a variety of things with it but still wear it loose anytime that I want. That wasn't possible by the time I reached BSL. I'm thinking of growing to APL in 2018 but am not sure I want to give up the ease of my current length.

Wreckinbelle
November 8th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Well, I'm pretty darn comfortable at collarbone length. I can do a variety of things with it but still wear it loose anytime that I want. That wasn't possible by the time I reached BSL. I'm thinking of growing to APL in 2018 but am not sure I want to give up the ease of my current length.

I don't think I hit a comfort length while I was growing, but I sure am comfortable now! I hear ya Spidermom I'm loving this length so much, and still thinking about going shorter :-)

Nightamin
November 8th, 2017, 10:03 PM
I'm currently in the abyss between TBL and classic for the first time. Granted, I haven't been here for long so I can't say if I'm having any difficulty growing past it. Guess we shall see. :)

Beckstar
November 8th, 2017, 11:48 PM
Shoulder length.

wispe
November 9th, 2017, 09:02 AM
If I never wear it up, then APL+ to BSL/MBL is a comfort length for me. At that length I always wore it down and it was super easy, always looked good, wash-n-go. Superb for lazy me. But I struggled to braid and style it until it grew past MBL and neared waist. I haven't hit my limit as far as how long I can go before I can't deal with the length anymore. Maybe if it ever gets longer than my arms can reach (fingertip length - mid thigh?) it'll hit the end of my comfort zone, but I'll have to grow at least that long to find out - if I don't reach terminal first. We will see.

LadyCelestina
November 9th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Midback to can-I-call-this-waist? length, i.e. a length at which it is long, but not long enough to have to change how I care for it.

Currently succesfully pushing past waist and onwards to hip, but it's getting annoying with the tangles and such.

Gem
November 9th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Either pixie or TBL. I don't really like anything in between on me.
I've never gone more than an inch or so beyond TBL because it annoyed me. I plan to try for classic at some point though.

littlestarface
November 11th, 2017, 11:41 AM
About mid thigh, is my comfort length, even now I want to cut it back up there so badly.

Groovy Granny
November 11th, 2017, 10:09 PM
Mine is between waist + to just above hip (only a few inches apart).
It feels it's best there (thickest), is comfortable (no headaches), and still easy to manage and style with my arthritic joints.