PDA

View Full Version : Long hair in your local population?

sapphire-o
March 22nd, 2008, 05:24 AM
I was wondering how many people do you see if real life have long hair? I mean waist and longer. I went to a mall today to do some shopping. Went to several stores and saw hundreds of people, and didn't see anybody else with hair longer than waist. :( I felt like the longest haired person in the world and so lonely. I suppose some could be wearing their hair up, but I didn't notice any big updos either. I wonder if it's a big city thing.

I wore my hair down today and it felt nice and wonderful. Flowing freely in the wind. However by the time I got to the checkout line at a busy store I felt awkward. People were packed there and there were a couple standing about two inches behind me. I was wondering if they were inspecting my hair for splits. :D I was staring at the hair of the woman in front of me the whole time. It's short, layered and dyed blonde. I was thinking about how amazing that now I got so used to natural looking hair, neatly styled hair with lots of product almost became yucky to me.

I guess I ranted a lot more about long hair in real life. Please just answer my first question. :D

artemis
March 22nd, 2008, 05:32 AM
Many of my Middle Eastern and Indian students have long hair, some of them longer than mine. When I taught in a district with a high Hispanic population, there were quite a few girls at my school with hip-length or longer hair. I've never seen anyone in real life with blonde hair as long as mine. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough :D

eadwine
March 22nd, 2008, 05:34 AM
Longer than waist.. hmm.. aside from the occasional kid, nope. No-one above 16 that I see here.

kimki
March 22nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
There is one girl where I work who has waist length curly hair, it is beautiful. People keep telling her to cut it! :rolleyes:

Apart from that it is only the asian woman round me really.

wendyg
March 22nd, 2008, 05:55 AM
I know a clutch of women who shared a house in Boston who all have hair classic to knee length, all thick, all in beautiful condition. (Boston has very soft water, which I guess helps). In London, I'd say that every time I go out I see at least several women with waist-length hair, and often one or two with hair longer than that. Many are Asian but many are not.

You really just need to join the right subculture: geek conferences always have quite a few people with waist-or-longer hair, some of them guys; folk music circles also; go to any science fiction convention.

wg

Catladyintown
March 22nd, 2008, 06:00 AM
Hi Sapphire-o in Tucson, AZ their are a lot of people who have extremely long hair. I saw a man that had knee length. Also an older women that had hair past her bottom. A lot of Mexican women and Native American women and men have long hair in Tucson. It is not unusual to see a lot of people here with long hair.:cheese:

eresh
March 22nd, 2008, 06:01 AM
In my area, only some children with longer than waistlength hair.
Like Eadwine said, above 16, very rare.

florenonite
March 22nd, 2008, 06:03 AM
I've seen quite a few people out there with waist-length hair, but then I'm a student. I've got a friend who's 20 with WL blonde hair, but she's planning on cutting it because the bottom of it is reallydamaged: She's highlighted it and hasn't cut it in two years, no S&Ding or anything, so there's loads of splits. The nicest hair I've ever seen has been on guys, actually. I have two friends who had WL hair in October (they both cut it to SL/APL :(, but my grow it back, and at least it's still longish for guys) one had dark brown hair, about 2a, and the other had 2a/2b blonde hair. My friend met him and said he had elvin hair, and he did! I wanted his hair ^_^. I've also got a guy friend whose hair is about MBL, but curly and he's really tall, so on me it would be WL, and it's very nice because they're boingy ringlets.

But back to the question, there aren't that many people I actually know with WL or longer hair, which is a shame (though hopefully within the next year or so I will have it ^_^).

Nat242
March 22nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
I suppose I see waist length and maybe hip length fairly often. There are quite a few Indian and Asian students at my university, and many of them have beautiful, long hair, that I get quite envious of!

Outside of uni, I don't see long hair often. I haven't seen classic in years, let alone anything longer (loose, that is). I often pay a compliment when I see lovely long locks!

-- Natalie

quidscribis
March 22nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
Hah! Geek references! Yes, it's true! *coughs* My husband had hair several inches below his shoulders, and is growing it out again. I had to cut it for him last year because of a very very nasty rash and it sadly had to go. :( He has lovely to-die-for curly hair that ringlets on its own. And he's an alpha geek. :D I'm also a geek. :D Geek princess marries geek prince. :D

Where I live, long hair is the norm. I use this example frequently, but it's also my most reliable one. At the grocery store we shop at, there are at least two clerks with hair to their knees, a few more with hair to their butt, and a bunch with waist or longer. That's just the clerks. I'm not actually remembering anyone with shorter than waist-length hair... In general life here, perhaps 2 or 3% of the population has hair shorter than, say, BSL. Perhaps half that has hair above the shoulders. Among the local population.

Among the foreigners, it's completely skewed to what you'd expect to see in the US or Canada.

ETA: I'm also talking about women of all ages here.

Guenever
March 22nd, 2008, 06:11 AM
Hmm.. I saw a 8-9-year-old girl yesterday with hip-length.. and once, I'll NEVER forget that, I saw a 12-year-old blonde girl with a KNEE-length braid just outside my old high school... OMG! It was beautiful! I even made a thread about it at the old boards because I was so thrilled..

Other than that - I've never seen a grown-up below midback..
I Spain I complimented 2 women with TB.. and at Castlefest, the Netherlands, I saw several with TB -> knee length.. but you said "local" area.. so I guess that doesn't count! hehe

So, I know what you mean when you describe yourself as a lonely longhair.. the only Dane I know with long hair is our own Igor :P heh.. and then again: I doubt that she lives in Odense.. heh.. so not "local" either..

Saoirse
March 22nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Dunno. I know a few.

In my area, rah British style dictates long unkempt hair on females (wiki rah if you want more info). There are a lot of crazy (usually fake blonde) manes with a lot of lift at the roots from teasing and a very windblown look ... I don't know if it's long hair in the LHC sense but it's very, um, noticeable :bigeyes:

suicides_eve
March 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM
only a one family i know of around here has butt length hair its part of there religion, also the Amish ppl i assume have long hair but they always were it up under there hats

Kittee
March 22nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Here in NC I see alot of ladies at waist length. Beyond that...not so much.

harley mama
March 22nd, 2008, 06:49 AM
There aren't very many long hairs in our area. Especially on guys.

aisling
March 22nd, 2008, 06:53 AM
Not many extremely long hairs around here but a lot of waist to tailbone lengths. It is a university city which probably helps but as I walked around in shops this morning, I also saw several 40+ ladies with at least waist length hair, nice! I think the lack of past classic length hair might have to do with the overall local hair quality, as we're generally of the Scandinavian type with fine to medium hair of average thickness.

florenonite
March 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Dunno. I know a few.

In my area, rah British style dictates long unkempt hair on females (wiki rah if you want more info). There are a lot of crazy (usually fake blonde) manes with a lot of lift at the roots from teasing and a very windblown look ... I don't know if it's long hair in the LHC sense but it's very, um, noticeable :bigeyes:

Funny, I didn't notice this. Maybe because Melville's too crap for yahs ^_^ (For those who don't know what I'm talking about: I live in the cheapest of the catered halls, so we are blessed with a lack of yahs/rahs).

Elfling
March 22nd, 2008, 07:05 AM
I'm in Florida, so there's no shortage of BSL beach bunnies. Longer than that though, not really. I get a *lot* of comments on my hair if I wear it down, and it's not even waist length yet.

At shows around here there will always be one or two people with extremely long dreadlocks; the majority have shortish emo/alt punk haircuts though.

Among the women I encounter at work, shoulder length or shorter.

My two best friends down here who work in the same industry have shoulder-length and BSL. The one who is shoulder-length was waist-length for a long, long time and then went shorter gradually. It really suits her though.

GlassEyes
March 22nd, 2008, 07:35 AM
There's a girl I'm slightly acquainted with (I think I've spoken to her once, but barely) with beautiful black, stick-straight classic length hair. It's shiny and she usually wears it down, oddly enough. It looks extremely well cared for.

One of the teachers around here is in her mid forties to early fifties, and she has hip length hair she always braids. I was tempted to ask if she knows about this site, but I don't know her or have her. Plus, it'd be a bit weird seeing her on this site. xD

My friend has past bsl length hair that she takes vitamins for and such, but she fries it with a straightening iron. It's naturally curly-wavy, but not normal. she has the kind of waves people hot set their hair for, and she hates it.

Feisty Redhead
March 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
It is very rare for me to see long hair in my area. Most of it's shoulder to bsl, short choppy bobs... but I like it. Makes me stand out more. ;)

salamander
March 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
I see tons of people around with long hair. Two of my best friends had hair to their hips, until one recently cut :(. Just walking around, though, there are a lot of people. I see at least one a day, and one of my classmates has longer hair than me. You know I bet that's it. I'm at college, you see, and I think that really encourages growing your hair out. They'll drag the last remnants of the hippy style out of our cold, dead hands.

angelthadiva
March 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
We have a small (like 3 families) Indian population, the gals all have at least hip length hair. I saw a gal (recently) w/natural red hair that was nearly classic length...She had it all down and loose rocking some natural waves...For the most part it's not very common, I've had people comment on my hair almost daily since I've been wearing it in either an English or French Braid...

Sarahmoon
March 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
One of my housemates has almost waist length hair and I think a girl at the lab has too (but it's usually in a doubled ponytail so hard to tell).

There's a girl at bellydance class with long, dark hair between hip and tailbone length. She always wears it down and washes and blowdryes every day. Her hair was the same length the day I first met her (about 2 years ago) so I think she is already maintaining that length for quite some time and that's the reason it still looks good despite daily blowdrying and always wearing it down. Or maybe it's because her hair is at least medium and mine is fine, *sigh* it's not fair.

At ballroom dance there's this professional level girl with a mid thigh length braid. I've never seen her hair down, it's always in a braid or braided bun when she's dancing. People who don't know her name call her "the girl with the long hair". (Which means they will never call me "the girl with the long hair" there :( At least I can be the only girl there who knows more than two hair styles). I think it looks cool but when she was wearing a short skirt, my bf asked me if I would please never let my hair grow longer than my skirt. That means will be mid thigh at the max or I will have to wear long skirts only :laugh:

For the rest I mostly see people with no longer than bra strap length hair. Down, in a ponytail or a messy bun and occasionally a braid or so, cut with bangs and layers etc. I sometimes see people with more neat or complicated buns but it's hard to tell how long their hair is.

squiggyflop
March 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
when i go to the mall i see lots of people with long hair... most of the people who i see at the mall with long hair are of latin decent with beautiful shiny hair..

EdG
March 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Hair longer than waist-length is very rare in my area. At work, I pretty much never see that. Sometimes in the supermarket or mall, I will see a woman with longer than waist-length hair (she's usually Asian or Hispanic or younger than 20).

We need to encourage people to grow their hair! :cheese:
Ed

cassie_g
March 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
I've seen 4. One was a man. And I remember two Indian/Middle Eastern women who rode the same bus as me that had long hair. And then there was a woman with past classic blond hair.

biggeorge
March 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I live in an area near the Johnson Space Center that is conservative, fairly highly educated, and dominated by professional people. Long hair is a rare treat; long hair on a guy is almost non-existent. In my trips about I may see occasional long hair on a female; it may be a week or two before I would see another guy with hair past his shoulders. I understand the feeling of loneliness in this endeavor; I look at it more as being "unique"!

Sakura07
March 22nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Well since I'm in college i see plenty of ladies wit longish hair life mid back and longer. It a nice change. And at my school we have a decent population with guys with shoulder length and longer hair too which is awesome.

Strongnlong
March 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Living in a neighbourhood highly populated by Indians of EVERY variety, from Trini & Guyanese to Paki's & Banglas i've got plenty of inspiration for long hair!

Waist & beyond is common. Intricate braid & bun styles can be seen & the range of textures never ceases to amaze.
With the advent of better hair practices in the black community I am starting to see longer healthier natural black hair as well in not only my 'hood but in recent travels to other states!:cheese:

naomimcc
March 22nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
I live in a town of 2,500 people and there are three, maybe 5 of us with long hair. Me, my sis-in-law, the lady who works at the health food store and the lady who works at the coffee shop. There's probably one more somewhere. But that's it. Most people however don't know I have long hair sine it's up all the time LOL! :D

OH! I forgot to add...we have a very high native population here with two nearby reserves and there's a few longhairs out there as well. In fact, there is one young man out there with waist length hair and it is GORGEOUS!!!

Anje
March 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
My community's got a decent-sized conservative/religious population, which is probably a factor in there being a number of white women with hair to their waists or hips. Past tailbone would be unusual, though, but I can think of one white woman at the university who has classic length. We've got lots of Indians and Asians with long hair, though -- I can think of one with a thick knee-length braid.

truepeacenik
March 22nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
I've briefly seen a Gujarati woman with back of knees, and a few of the other Indian women (mostly northern, but one woman from Kerala) have a few inches shy of waist-length hair.
The Latinas have waist length a lot, up to mid 20s.
Very few of the lesbians have longer (past shoulders) hair, here (and this seems to be a local reaction).
The European-descent women like just past BSL, unless they are our hippie remnants, and then, wait has been the mark for most.

The metal boys are all around shoulder, and all around the same age. so I theorize they have been growing the same amount of time.

Some of the hippy-type males have shoulder to mid back hair.
A couple men I know have hair past waist, and almost always wear it braided.
The folkie men are growing what they can, so a lot of rings with ponytails.

I can think of three European descent women with longer hair than mine, and one seems to have moved. She was the only one with more than four inches on me (judging by where it falls, not actual inches).

Dread locks occasionally hit waist and beyond. I've mentioned a man in Nederland CO who has trailing dreads.

FoxFire
March 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Not too many long hairs here. Mosly ladies with BSL or so. Maybe a few waist length. Most guys with "long" hair don't go past shoulders....and then it is usually pretty unkept and "hill-billy" looking. In my local area there are not many ethnic groups represented.

WavyGirl
March 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
The Spanish women - girls up to mid-20s go as long as waist, but with loads of layers and high-lights. The older women don't have longer than shoulder. There is one exception, a mum at the school who has TB. The only other long-hairs are the 2 girls at our local chinese restaurant. One has waist and the other TB. Their hair is thick, dead straight & glossy black. I'm so envious. I've never seen a woman here with hair past TB - I'm hoping to b the first :D All the english women have shoulder or shorter, but then they're all retirees and have obviously bought into the long-hair-ages-you lie.

On men of all nationalities here shoulder is considered long. :(

Unnamed
March 22nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
Most of the long-hairs (as in past waist) around here are either Russian (and always up, but you can count bun coils), or conservative/religious, where other than some waist/tailbone braids on children, it's always bunned/covered.

So, very little loose long hair. And buns rarely get done except by the above groups, unless it's a messy bun on shoulder length or so hair.

Even the Hispanic population around here (quite high) doesn't have long hair--BSL is about the limit, and most little girls lately I've seen with shoulder length or bobs.

Exceptions (over the last four years or so): A guy with 3b blond curls to about tailbone in a multibanded ponytail; mid-thigh straight thick (seen her twice--she's well over 6 foot, so it's a lot of hair), and another with fine, thinner hair at the same length; and....thick to the ends, 2b or so, course ankle length (yes, it was loose, and she was at least in her late 40s to 50s, with a few silver strands mixed it).

Robbi Dehlinger
March 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Hi!

I live in the Chicago area, and because it is an area of large population, you see more long hair than you might in some place like, say, Fargo, ND??

I was at my former HS's yearly musical last Friday (3/14) and out of approx ladies in the chorus, had hair mid back or longer, many waist length. Soooo pretty!

LUV,

Robbi:)

Robbi Dehlinger
March 22nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hi again!

DRAT!

That was supposed to read out of 20 to 30 ladies in the chorus!:eek:

andrea1982
March 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
I see a lot of people with tail bone length hair here, and quite a few men with long hair. The city I live in has a population of more than 50% first nations, and we have a lot of south east asian and asian people as well.

dancingbarefoot
March 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
I don't see a lot of long hair in Houston (TX, not AK - though not much long hair in Houston, AK, either :wink:). If I go to an area of town with lots of Indians, Pakistanis, and Bengalis, then I see more women with long hair, usually in braids, but in general, not a lot.

Interestingly, I'm often approached by Hispanic gentlemen at the grocery store who tell me that my hair is unusual because only Latinas have long hair, not white women. But I hardly ever see Latinas in Houston with hair longer than BSL! :lol:

ETA: On my campus, I see more long hair than the rest of town, but still nothing compared to the amount of long hair you seen on the west coast.

CatstyleMBelleK
March 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
I live (for just a few months more!) in a somewhat rural and very "Bible Belt" part of Ohio, and there are a lot of Apostolic women who don't cut their hair, so I see hair as long as mine quite often. (Special thanks to JoifulNoise who educated me about her faith so now I know who these women are!)

prosperina
March 22nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Among the students at the university, I don't see longer than BSL. Some of the hair is natural and pretty and some has been bleached and straight ironed to death. I see occasionally hip length hair on Asian, Indian or Native American women and on teenage Latinas. I don't think there are any other henna heads though, 'cept me! :p

AJoifulNoise
March 22nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
This is actually a tricky question for me. I go to a pentecostal church. So, most of the ladies have really long hair. But, they all wear it up all the time! So, I don't know how long some of it is. I'd say that most of them have beyond waist-length hair.

But, in the general public... Not that many long hairs. The occasional college student will pop up with long hair (we are a college town). But, we have a large older demographic here, too. And they all have poodle perms.

Alun
March 22nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
There are two women with hair longer than waist just in my office, one a lawyer and the other a secretary. Actually they work for sub-tenants and not for our firm, but it's all law firms. The first one is an associate working for a resident partner of an out of town litigation firm. Her boss has a shaved head, but he is probably bald anyway. The other one is secretary to a short haired lady who does wills and trusts. Besides them, one of the secretaries in our firm has nearly waist length hair.

Out in the street I see long hair every day, and not just on women. Considering I am talking about downtown DC in the vicinity of the K street corridor it is actually surprising that there are as many guys with long hair as there are. OTOH, I think there are plenty of human rights and environmental groups around there, for example.

jojo
March 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
i live in Lancashire and most common length is probably BSL, the really long hairs waist and below belong to older ladies, yet i work and study in Yorkshire and there seems to be loads of waist length hair men and ladies

MadHatter
March 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
I don't think there are any other henna heads though, 'cept me! :p
Same here, no hennaheads that I've noticed. Wish I could spot another one.
I do see waist+ hair here in west Texas, just not very often. At my university I thought I was seeing different girls with long hair (waist+), but it turns out it was the same person.
Most of what I see is shoulder-blade length hair that's been bleached so much that it's only a sad remnant of it's former self.

WritingPrincess
March 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Last fall, most of my friends had bsl to waist length hair, and then almost all of them cut their hair to between just-past-chin and APL. One friend had the loveliest (I'm guessing waist) long golden blond hair. I haven't seen her since before Halloween, but she said she was going to cut it after Halloween. To somewhere around her shoulders. I was really sad, still am. I don't know if she followed through or not. I'm hoping to get together with her soon, though. I'll let you know if she did or not. I have a lot of friends that are around 14 or 15 years old.
So, to get back to your question, I think I have the longest hair at our church. I don't really know about our population other than that, our church is really the community that we are a part of. Most of the adult women have hair around shoulder length that is layered and looks so unnatural to my LHC-conditioned eyes. :lol:
Oh, I have a friend who is 10, and her hair is about waist to hip length. She really looks up to me, and is growing her hair out too. I have no idea what her goal is. I'll have to ask her.

HeatherAngela
March 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
I live in central PA so we have a lot of long hair due to the Amish and Mennonite around here, but there are also quite a lot of long hairs in general. I go to Wal-Mart and feel like my hair is short when I see at least 1 person with hair past waist every time I go in there, but not always the same person.

homeschoolmama
March 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
There are two ladies that frequent my health-food-store that have classic length hair, and I've seen quite a few waist-length ladies here & there. I know of a few men with BSL-length hair as well, and ONE man who's got hair that's waist-length, but because of how tall he is he's probably got more than I do in inches!

Most people around here have BSL or shorter hair though, and even BSL is relatively rare.

CopperHead
March 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
I see a lot of longhairs around the Bay Area. Monday I was in a local appliance store and there was a woman with tailbone length hair in there. She had beautiful waves and was wearing a half-up. I think she was a sales rep. It was truely beautiful hair.

Gwaihiril
March 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Preppy New England suburban town? My friend's mother has blond hair to her waist, and the sound guy who worked with us on our high school musical this year always wore his hip length hair in a ponytail. (I kept trying to find an excuse to go talk to him and tell him his hair is awesome, but I couldn't think of one.) Other than that....a decent amount of girls have BSL hair and I know a few guys with hair to their shoulders (including my brother). I'm fairly certain I'm the only one in town with hair past hip length.

rubyredslippers
March 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Long hair really isn't common here, despite the high ojibway (Native) population. I've known two guys with decently-cared-for APL hair but one has cut and seems to be growing again. One of my friend's friends has GORGEOUS auburn WL hair, layered. And there's another girl that I went to elementary school with that still maintains her hip-length blunt-hemlined hair. But then she and I never got along very well, so I didn't appreciate or pay much attention to her hair.

Rarely I'll see a lady with longer hair. There's a lady who works at Walmart with gorgeous english-braided mid-thigh hair.

BSL or shorter seems to be the norm for university girls, and coloured to an inch of its life.

Older women (moms, etc) have shoulder or shorter hair, almost always.

I have only ever seen one natural silver with hair long enough to put up.

AquaViolet1973
March 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
I was wondering how many people do you see if real life have long hair? I mean waist and longer.

I live in the midwest. I see alot of people with shoulder length to brastrap length hair mostly worn straight. I don't see alot of people with hair that's waist length or longer.

AquaViolet1973
March 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
I was wondering how many people do you see if real life have long hair? I mean waist and longer.

I thought I posted a comment to this, but it isn't showing up. :confused: Anyway, I live in the midwest, and I see alot of people with shoulder length to brastrap length hair, almost always worn straight. I don't very often see people with waist length or longer hair.

eta: My first post in this thread just appeared. That's weird. Sorry for the double post.

sapphire-o
March 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Now that I think about it. I did see a guy with hip length blonde hair before. We stopped at a traffic light and he was crossing the street. It's straight and silky, flowing freely. I think DH and I were both staring at it. :)

Sometimes I wonder if my hair looks good enough to be a credit to the image of long hairs. :D

moon-flower
March 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'm Apostolic (oneness pentecostal) so I just have long hair, because it's uncut. I don't know too many "long hairs" around her. Which by the way is near Fargo, ND. But the other Apostolic ladies I know have waist to floor, depends on how long it grows. When I go to California though, I see long hair on Indian/Hispanic/ and Asian women more commonly then white women. Maybe it's a cultural or genetics thing, I'm not sure. I'm half Asian/White.

Dianyla
March 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Here in Portland I do see a lot of long'ish hair on women in public. Mostly between waist and classic, pretty equal mix of Caucasians/Hispanic/Asian. The few random sightings of thigh-length and longer hair that I've had are almost always East Indian women in traditional dress.

Working in technology, I see a lot of longhaired males. At my office the next two longest haired individuals after myself are both men, one at tailbone, and the other at classic.

At my local university, there is also a lot of very nice male longhair. I've seen some impressive thigh-length natural red dreadlocks on a guy around campus, classic length black curly (think Rain's hair, but on a tall guy), tailbone black wavy hair, midback blond corkscrew 3b curls. And plenty of "just average" garden-variety shoulderlength hair on guys.

tiny_teesha
March 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Ok, call me crazy...i am
I LITERALLY sat down with pen and paper and drew a chart on my lunch break
APL and shorter
BSl and shorter
Waist and shorter
etc.
I only counted female late teens and older.
I think i got one longer then waist. And a few longer then Bsl. And a VAST majority was Apl and shorter.
I probably sat for about 5-10 minutes and got down 50 people.
So there is the average of where i live.
I HAVE seen women with hair longer...i stare....lol
most are indian with a thick long braid TB or thereish. There has been a few blonde haired ladies with hair at Tb or jsut short. And a few brunettes. There is also 2 guys i have seen with past BSL length hair. One had almost waist, possibly just past it! I was like "Wow, that actually looks really nice!!!"
Anyway...Then there was this girl in church and i saw her once with just past waist length hair, and the next week it was APL! WHY!? Anyways....that saddened me!

That's all! :)

So now that i am pretty much at waist i am entereing a dangerously endangered species where i come from!

And what is it with people above 40 having that pixie cut. It really doesn't look good. (IPO)
My aunty has waist length layered hair, and the other has the pixie. Mum used to have BSL but now it is APL (thanks to my cutting skills- she shed a lot and she wanted short hair)

Nicole.Amina
March 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
I live in an area with a HUGE Hispanic and Indian population and I go school in an area with a HUUUGE Asian and Indian population. With Hispanics, it's rare to see older women with long hair. With Indians, they all have gorgeous WL or longer braids that are so thick and healthy, except the younger westernized Indian girls who cut their hair to about BSL. I have yet to see an Asian girl with hair longer than BSL, maybe I'm just not noticing them but the Asian girls I see have dyed short hair.

CurlyNinja
March 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm in college. The time when all the girls cut their hair off and all the boys grow theirs uber-long. :rolleyes: To each his/her own. I cut mine off a few months before I came here, so I really can't judge, even if I would want to.

The people in the area are mostly either aging hippies or college kids. There's a few significantly longhairs among the former group, and of course there are a fair number of college-age girls with hair in the APL/BSL range, but not many are much longer than that.

Most of my longhair friends are guys these days. Most of my female friends have hair somewhere between a bob/pob and APL.

metrykat
March 22nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
I'm now living in Nashville, and sometimes see people with long hair (waist or longer), but it's gotten to the point where if I see someone with longer hair than mine I'm suprised.

nowxisxforever
March 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
I live near Portland, Oregon...and I see TONS of longhairs! On my bus route I see two regular longhairs, one with tailbone length and one with classic+ length. I ran into Airmide from the forums once on that bus too, with her knee-length hair! I had to introduce myself....hahah

nowxisxforever
March 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Working in technology, I see a lot of longhaired males. At my office the next two longest haired individuals after myself are both men, one at tailbone, and the other at classic.

Oh, my call center (Beaverton) is the same way! We do tech support in our building primarily (with one sales contract and one customer service contract, the rest is tech) and I know of SEVERAL long-haired men, with waist length hair and longer. My boyfriend is one of them, though his hair is more APL to mid-back length than waist-length, due to excessive thinning at the ends. He doesn't take as good of care of it as we do here...

teela1978
March 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
My co-worker a few desks down has classic length hair, but other than that there's not a lot of long hair around. I've seen maybe 2-3 others in my 2 years in Utah. I think one of them might have been surprising woman, but I'm not sure.

ilovelonghair
March 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
Here you mostly see people with ragged chopped hair, the longest you see is BSL. The people with normal long hair (I mean with a nice hair cut instead of butchered up hair) are mostly guys!

Morag
March 23rd, 2008, 12:13 AM
There are quite a few people of both sexes in Albuquerque with long hair, largely because of the prominent Native American population,. I see folks with long braids everywhere. Also, there are lots of young folks where I live near the university who have long hair. Mine is about medium length for my neighborhood, but is considered very long by the people at my workplace - kind of a funny dichotomy.

A violinist in the local symphony has glorious wavy hair all the way to her knees.

A Zuni woman I met a couple of years ago had hair so long that she wore her braid doubled up. Even doubled, it hung below her butt. She told me she only left it loose for ceremonial dances, and I imagine that when it's down, a couple of feet of her hair must drag on the ground. Awesome!

Velvettt
March 23rd, 2008, 02:58 AM
When I moved to San Antonio, TX from central Ontario, Canada, I did not know ANYONE with hair past shoulder length who was not under the age of 20. Where I come from, it's almost a rule that when you hit 21 or thereabouts, you cut your hair. Go to any school function and you will not see one woman (or man) with hair past shoulder and almost all will be short, layered bobs. Mom hair.

Moved to Texas and OMG I was the only woman walking around here with short hair who was under the age of 70! We went out to a famous dance hall (Gruene Hall, if anyone is interested) and out of the roughly 300 people there, three women had short hair, including me.

However, to see one with hair past waist is less common. Mid back is the most common length I see around me. The upper income neighbourhoods are inhabited by Barbies who all have streaky blonde hair worn up in high ponytails. Hispanic women have mostly midback length hair.

WavyGirl
March 23rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Sometimes I wonder if my hair looks good enough to be a credit to the image of long hairs. :D

how can you ay that? your hair is beautiful!

Chamomile betty
March 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Once in a while I'll see hair waist length.

Now I do see a couple women with BS length hair at work and I am pleased because that's where I am at now. I'am just wondering if they'll trim it over summer and come back to school with it shorter though. I'll have to keep an eye out this comming fall.

What I do see is shoulder length or very short hair as the majority of styles.
Honestly, I still see a lot of 80's heavily layered hair.

MadPirateBippy
March 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
I see a lot of long hair here, but there are a lot of hippies in Austin. I'd say that anything beyond waist was unsual, but I see a lot of waist length hair, even down, even in the summer. I can't imagine doing my hair down in the summer out here, but I guess not everyone loves updos.

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
There are actually two women on my team at work with long hair ... one with beautiful straight just past bum hair and the other with great ringlets to her waist.

Masara
March 24th, 2008, 02:09 AM
There is quite a high north African community where I live, so long hair isn't particularly unusual. Of course, you have to guess the length because it's always in a bun.
I teach in a secondary school and I have a few pupils with waist length braids (one has classic length) but it seems the older they get the shorter the hair. Hair atound waist length doesn't cause much surprise hair all the same; The Spanish teacher has waist length hair and I had a training course on dyslexia last month and the trainer had loose, hip length, probably hennaed hair.

Babyfine
March 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I live in a small town in the upper midwest(US)
I see very few women my age with longer than neck length hair.
There are a VERY few, in my town my age or older with SL to WL hair.
Mostly I see BSL on the younger high-school to college age- once they get married/have kids/get older it seems to get shorter, a lot of bobs,ect.
I have seen some hispanic women(50's) my age with lovely long hair in my area.

heidihug
March 24th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'm in the Upper Midwest, also, with little or no ethnic community in the small town I live near - about 2000 people. I've only ever met one woman over the age of 20 with hair longer than mine; she was a nurse at the local hospital - her's was about knee-length, I think, and almost black. Otherwise, "mom hair" is pretty much it. Most mothers do not allow their little girl's hair to grow much longer than shoulder length; most I've talked to say they cut it off because it's too much trouble to take care of. I am rarely complimented on my hair, so I never wear it down, it's kind of a secret that I keep from small-town small minds. Plus, once the wind gets ahold of it, it's instant tangles, so I only wear it down indoors or for very special events.

Garnet66
March 24th, 2008, 11:59 AM
When we lived in Hawaii I saw LOTS of long hair. Most of the locals wore their hair to waist and beyond. Here in this part of md I haven't seen a single person with waist length hair. I did see a couple (2) with bsl hair.

chloeishere
March 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Mid-back length is extremely common at my school. I'd venture that maybe half the female students I see around have mid-back length hair (and yes, a lot of it is dyed blonde, highlighted, and/or obviously flat-ironed. Generally the damage is pretty visible, but there is the odd one with stunning natural hair).

Waist length or longer, however, is VERY unusual. There is an Indian girl that I work with who has wavy hair just at waist-- she wears it down quite a lot. There is another girl at work with a similar hair color to mine-- I suspect her hair is at or close to waist, but I've never seen it down-- it's always in a bun.
Other than the two girls at work, I rarely see women with waist or longer hair-- maybe once a week or so, working at a busy "home improvement" store.
I don't see many older women with long hair here, either. I saw a woman with lovely silver hair (not too long though, around APL maybe) at work a few days ago, but probably 95% of the women around here have the dyed "older-woman mullet." What a shame.

Ohio Sky
March 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
The area I live in is about 85% retirement community, and at least 90% of the remainder are on drugs.
According to Steven Tyler, heroin is good for your hair. Must just be the high quality stuff, 'cause its not working around here.

Ive seen 3 people I can think of in the 8 years Ive lived here who had waist or longer.

ETA: Im so tired of seeing so many bleach-blonde women. Its just not a good look for most people.

Forever_Sophie
March 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM
There are some; definitely not a lot, but once in a while I see a girl or woman (of any age) with waist length hair...and I recognize them, b/c they're almost always members of a church I attended for a while.

FrannyG
March 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw anyone in my community with hair longer than BSL. Even the last time that I attended a school play at my kids' high school, I was shocked to see that my daughter and I had the longest hair there. Even at a mere 26 inches or so, I'm known as "the mom with the long hair".

Not much to see here, hairwise, I'm afraid.

Faepirate
March 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I've been noticing long hair more than usual since joining LHC ;)

There's a girl at my old workplace who has tailbone burgundy (dyed, I guess) hair. It's a little bit splitty, not the greatest condition, but I always admired it because it really stands out and it is pretty nonetheless.

And I saw a goth girl with hip-length blue-black hair (also dyed) in the supermarket the other day. Also not the greatest condition but still wowed me...

AND today I saw a girl on the bus who had tailbone blonde hair. 'Twas really, really beautiful.

I don't see any curlies with long hair, though :( I'm beginining to wonder if they exist at all around here!

chrissy-b
March 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Today is the first day I saw someone with waist-length hair, which is rare. I have noticed, however, that since joining LHC and deciding to grow my hair long again, I have noticed A LOT of women with lovely long locks. I guess what you put your attention on really does grow!

Alaia
March 24th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Here, in Manchester, I live in an Oriental/Asian part of town and I regularly see stunning long Chinese hair or really thick Indian braids.

In London, I very rarely see anyone with waist length hair where I live. It's mostly shoulder or shorter.

SparklePi
March 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I live in the south and it's also a heavily retirement type area, so there are a lot of seniors with typical "old lady hair", sometimes in crazy colors, LOL. Not a lot of long hair on anyone.
Sometime old hippy bikers with a grey ponytail, other than that I can't even think of the last time i saw a male with long hair, which to my prior military eyes is on the collar or more, LOL!
I see hair my length (between waist and hip) on some of the Hispanic women in the area, but not on other white women like me. I have the longest hair of anyone I know personally. There is one mommy in my circle very similar to me, brunette waist lenth hair with glasses. But other than that, not even close to waist. BSL and above is standard.

nessthing
March 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Living in northwestern Pennsylvania, in a small college town, the only hair longer than waist I ever seem to see is on poorer, possibly very ugly women. Usually they're the ones who come up to me in Walmart or some other incredibly classy place of business and tell me that they "absolutely love long hair on men" and that I should "never cut it" because it's my "most attractive feature".

Ugh. Poor people. Get it off.

DecafJane
March 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I live in Queensland, Australia, and there are not very many people with hair that even goes to BSL above the age of 21! It is generally discouraged and thought of as "daggy", even when the short cuts look awful.
Out of the people who have hair that long, a lot of them really don't care for it well (so it looks terrible), and there are only a handful with lovely long, long hair.

Out of the class of several hundred in my university course, there is ONE girl who has waist length hair. That is it. (I don't think I'll get there by the time uni finishes, but you never know. ;) )

The women with waist-length hair or longer that I have seen all take lovely care of their hair - it looks shiny, healthy and like it would fit in on this site. :)

As Tiny Teesha said, all the women over 40 seem to get the same, awful pixie cut. Once you are over 75, they all seem to get a perm, to give it "volume". Dreadful.

They seem to use the excuse that it is very humid here. However, having lived with both very short hair AND very long hair, I think that having long hair tied up or back in a braid is cooler than short hair, because you get less heated air trapped around your head with long hair.

Missy
March 24th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I've seen alot of long hair lately. I went to my husbands union hall and seen four women with almost tailbone to tailbone hair. Then this past weekend I went to the mall and seen three women with long hair. Usually I never see long hair but now that I've been seeing it alot I don't feel that unique anymore lol.

Lixie
March 24th, 2008, 07:03 PM
There's not too many people with longer than waist hair where I live. Those with very long hair (that they show in public) are usually either women of South Asian descent or Goths of either gender.

Vela
March 24th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I get stared at all the time when my hair is down around here, hair past waist is pretty rare around here. I have seen some people with very long hair, one guy had his hair in a pony tail that reached his waist and it look like it was in good shape.
I've seen about 4 people with hair longer than mine is, and I'm thinking as far back as I can. 3women and one guy, the women had classic or longer, and the guy was the most amazing of them all! He was Asian or Native American, and he was close to 6ft and had a braid past classic! I was about 7-8, I just smiled and stared befor following my mom. I've never seen a guy with that length of hair again.

Sadly most hair around here is salonafied. :(

filiadeluna
March 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
No one around here seems to have hair longer than arm-pit length, and even that's rare. Most people I see have just slightly below shoulder length or shorter. I definitely feel special. :o I guess I prefer to be in the minority where that is concerned. :shrug:

Darian Moone
March 24th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Not so many in my town. Lots of soccer mom short layered 'dos. Once in a while a younger person with waist length, but even the high school kids seem to favor shoulder to BSL.

I did have a customer who had an extremely thick braid that was thigh length. It was just gorgeous. She was in her late 20s or early 30s and would come in with her infant swaddled to her chest. She was a delight and I adored her hair, but she hasn't been in shopping in ages. I don't know if she is still in the area or not.

I did see a woman in her 20s at the Secretary of State last year who had knee length hair. It was gorgeous, wavy and thick. People were kind of pointing and staring. They weren't being complimentary.

I guess long hair isn't too popular around here but I'm growing mine anyway. ;)

Velvettt
March 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Living in northwestern Pennsylvania, in a small college town, the only hair longer than waist I ever seem to see is on poorer, possibly very ugly women. Usually they're the ones who come up to me in Walmart or some other incredibly classy place of business and tell me that they "absolutely love long hair on men" and that I should "never cut it" because it's my "most attractive feature".

Ugh. Poor people. Get it off.

This is just incredibly insensitive and rude and does not belong here.

Beesweet
March 25th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Decaf Jane: what is "daggy?"

I live in South Florida and there are a few Hispanic women and very many Hispanic girls with long hair -- a lot of is eye-catching, double-take stunning!
Some other girls with longer hair.
But not many adult women or men wear it, unless you count some people with extensions. There are a lot of hair extensions. S. FL is very much like Hollywood, California in style. A lot of silcone lips and chests, a lot of work done on faces, and seriously salon-styled shorter hair.

I hope I'm not offending anyone. I'm intending to be descriptive.

socks
March 27th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I see a fair number of people with long hair, but I am one of the nerds who go to comic conventions, ren faires, and the like, so part of it is the type of company I keep. Also, I've noticed that around 1%-2% of the students at my college have waist-length or longer hair, and even many of the female professors have long-ish hair.

Angellen
March 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Where I live, long hair is really quite common. I would say the average hair length is between waist and hip.

Very, VERY few people adhere to practices that are common on LHC, though. (S&D, poo bars, wv or acv rinses, regular oilings, etc.)

addikted
March 28th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Fairly uncommon where I live unless they happen to be of Indian descent. Who have absolutely lovely hair. Most people either perm their hair here or else they have Japanese straightening done.

ladystar
March 28th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Beesweet you are very right I live in South FL also.

intothemist1999
March 28th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I see more very long hair than I expected (waist-hip length)! Usually it's when I'm in the car, so I can't comment to the man or lady in question. I haven't seen any men with longer than waist length.

I was surprised a few days ago, while at a red light, to see a bunch of moms taking their kids to school, and how many had fairly long hair (BSL). Hmmm, maybe they weren't the MOMS, but it was a sizeable group of ladies with longer hair!

((( waves to sapphire-o in the land west of the Rockies! :) ))))

Arashi
March 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
A few months back, I noticed heaps of females with long hair, however the majority clearly had extensions. Very recently, I payed attention to hair length again, and now they all have very short styles/cuts. Must have gone "out of fashion". :rolleyes:

Sadly, in the past several years, I've seen about a total of 4 males with significantly long hair. Someone needs to encourage more of the males of this world to grow their hair long!

Delilah
March 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM
There's at least a 20 women at my work with hair between waist and classic. A few more who I've only seen in buns, but pretty sizeable buns. None visibly longer than classic, but some of the bunners could be.
I work in a large office, over 1200 employees.
I also live in an area with a lot of native canadian resevations, and see lots of lovely long hair when I'm out running errands. Thick black knee-length braids that it's hard not to gape at.

Islandgrrl
March 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I don't really see that many people with waist or longer hair. There are a few - two come to mind with classic length (I know them both). When my hair was still knee length I never saw anyone with hair as long as mine or longer. Ever. But shorter, processed, permed, generally salonified hair is the norm here.

akka naeda
March 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Waist length (straightened) hair is quite common on the girls where I live, until they hit 16-18 and then presumably they cut it. I see fewer people with hair that length older than that age.

Since I live in the middle of nowhere I can state with utmost certainty that there are all of 6 people (of all ages) who have hair longer than waist, one of them is male, and only two of us have knee-length hair. My daughter goes to school in a different village and at school there are two mothers with waist length hair, all the rest have hair shoulder-length or shorter.

On the occasions I go into Oxford then there are a few more people around with hair longer than waist. I don't particularly look out for people with hair though.

Finoriel
March 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Long hair around here is practically non-existent. I have seen one woman with waist-length hair last month, that´s all in a long time... and I assume she was on holidays here, so not really "local population".
Not even small girls have long hair, for them shoulder-length or shorter seems to be common this year.
From teens to about 50s it´s up to date to have straight short and/or layered hair in almost every colour, as long as it´s not the own natural one, somewhere around shoulder-length or APL. Same trend as last year.
The older ladies around here prefer either pixie in grey/white or coloured with perm.
:shrug:
As long as they don´t tell me which hairlenth I should wear, the short-haired trend is completely o.k. for me. Maybe it´s a little sad that the other side of the spectrum is so underrepresented around here... but hey, trends come and go and hair is growing all the time :) maybe next year.
And on a side note: :D I´m completely out of fashion... :p fine!

DavidN
March 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Here in Nova Scotia, I see a reasonable number of people with long hair. Although hair past waist length is rare, I do see people with hair that length on occasion. Long hair on men is not that common yet, but the occurance is increasing, and it is rare that I go for my walk to the mall and fail to see at least one other guy with long hair.

MemSahib
March 28th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Northeast Texas: quite a few longhairs but not in my particular peer group. Unfortunately, much of the long hair you do see is not well kept or particularly lovely although every so often a stunning head of hair will walk by. (With a body underneath it, of course!)

Gemma
March 29th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Buckinghamshire, UK: I see quite a few female teenagers with BSL hair, though it's rarely virgin. Bleach is very popular around here, as are very choppy, straight styles.

Occasionally, I see some women in their 30s-40s with longer hair.

I imagine we have some really long hairs around as we have a moderate Sikh population and they refrain from cutting their hair for religious reasons. They wear it up and covered, though. I'm also pleased to note that a lot more male teenagers feel comfortable wearing longer styles now. Chin length or longer is relatively common in the grammar school boys (ages 15-18, I think).

Arianwen
March 29th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Where I live there are a lot of South Asians and some of the women (and the men too) have extremely long hair. They're sikh so it's some religious thing. The men wear their hair in turbans, though.

Generally, their hair is a helluva lot thicker and more impressive than my feeble uber fine hair.

Juanita
March 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
i see at least one or 2 ladies or girls with waist lentgh hair dailly nd know of a couple of guys with waist length hair. Known one other lady of my age or older with TB length hair.
Cheers
Juanita

Daggy= Scruffy

willowcandra
March 30th, 2008, 01:27 AM
The last town I was in had quite a few waist lengthers in but where I am now shoulder is the longest I have seen.

(these are towns just five miles apart in oxfordshire uk)

jennydaesy
March 31st, 2008, 08:21 PM
lot of long hairs in st louis malls

blackfrostqueen
March 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM
I've seen one girl at my church with classic length hair (thick and wavy), but other than that, no one around here has hair past their shoulder-blades. Although I have noticed that with the fashion trends rising for this spring and summer, some of the girls have taken to the runway models long locks and have, for the moment, decided to grow their hair long.

Which to me means that their hair will be no more then mid-back, but that's long too!

I get comments all the time that I'm lucky I didn't cut my hair last year when it was all the rage. I'm apparently in-style now with my waist-length locks. *rolls-eyes at style trends* Do you think if the fashion trends said to jump off a cliff they'd do it? :p

Garnetgem
January 25th, 2016, 02:40 AM
Its unusual to see anyone where i live as most have short hair and if hair is BSL then you will get comments so for me to go out then people do double takes as its just approaching waist length,in the past i had it almost knee length and i was even serenaded in my town centre,oh the cringe moment!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 25th, 2016, 02:59 AM
There aren't many longhairs around here. The Indian lady at the fruit shop has lovely classic length hair, always worn braided. Apart from her, waist length would be unusually long.
I did see a wonderful long haired lady a year or so ago (probably close to knee length hair) and she allowed me to take her photo to share here.

There are several hundred people in our church and waist length would be the very longest you would see there and even that is unusual. Hair as long as mine is unheard of and very often, even if I am wearing it up, someone will compliment it, which is lovely :)

Mirabele
January 25th, 2016, 03:10 AM
i would say that longer than waist is very rare here. i do see some girls and young women with MB/just above waist. highlights and bleach are popular here.. women my age and older usually have shorter than bsl.

Groovy Granny
January 25th, 2016, 03:12 AM
Some smaller kids and just a handful in the high school/college; older longhairs like me are RARE...they all CURL UP AND DYE :p
In our Church there are only 2 other longhairs besides me; one always wears it in a small pinned bun (?length), and the other is WL.
She usually wears it down, with an occasional braid or twist in Summer.
I am the LONGEST now at @Hip :happydance: and must have tongues wagging about my silver, styles, and hair toys :eyebrows:

Estrid
January 25th, 2016, 03:28 AM
I see long hair every day, waist and hip length is not that unusual. It is mostly people below 30 with those lengths, but yeah, not unusual.

I think I need to have tailbone length or longer to feel like my hair is unusually long here.

parkmikii
January 25th, 2016, 04:06 AM
I see long hair every day, waist and hip length is not that unusual. It is mostly people below 30 with those lengths, but yeah, not unusual.

I think I need to have tailbone length or longer to feel like my hair is unusually long here.

Same here, only once I saw a knee length braid in real life and it was impressive :o

PristineAllure
January 25th, 2016, 04:24 AM
In my neighborhood there is a heavy Pakistani population, and many of the women have waist length or longer hair. Even the grandmothers. I know this because they're always taking walks in their beautiful and colorful attire. Outside of my neighborhood, it's pretty rare to see.

sanari
January 25th, 2016, 07:07 AM
I live in a college town and see girls my age and younger having longhair waist or tailbone, but they are usually Asian, Indian, or Hispanic like me.

Belle Paix
January 25th, 2016, 07:58 AM
I hardly EVER see anyone with hair longer than BSL. I can't think of the last time I saw anyone with long hair. I work in a room with 15 other people, and none of them have hair longer than BSL.

PristineAllure
January 25th, 2016, 08:11 AM
I think it's so crazy how rare long hair is. Why wouldn't everyone want to grow their hair long? Long hair is so beautiful. Of course I have a biased opinion. But I still really feel like it's something that so many women desire.

languagenut
January 25th, 2016, 10:34 AM
I have "only" about hip-length hair, but I'm the longest-haired person I know besides my mom. Random people often tell me "Wow, you have such long hair! Ya don't see that very much anymore".

lapis_lazuli
January 25th, 2016, 10:40 AM
It's rare for me to see anyone with hair longer than BSL, to be honest.

languagenut
January 25th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I've seen one girl at my church with classic length hair (thick and wavy), but other than that, no one around here has hair past their shoulder-blades. Although I have noticed that with the fashion trends rising for this spring and summer, some of the girls have taken to the runway models long locks and have, for the moment, decided to grow their hair long.

Which to me means that their hair will be no more then mid-back, but that's long too!

I get comments all the time that I'm lucky I didn't cut my hair last year when it was all the rage. I'm apparently in-style now with my waist-length locks. *rolls-eyes at style trends* Do you think if the fashion trends said to jump off a cliff they'd do it? :p

Yeah, I never could care less about fashion trends. Most current fashions in hair/clothes/body jewelry/makeup/etc look ridiculous and impractical, IMO. Happy to just be comfortable and carefree being myself. :D

LongCurlyTress
January 25th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Where I live, California, long hair is becoming extremely popular. I think it is from all those who "went" pixie are missing their length now. Could be extensions are being used, but I am noticing mostly long hair on women now. Or maybe this is my selective mind only "seeing" longhairs!! LOL... Could be, ya never know! -- literally!! :wigtongue

Hairkay
January 25th, 2016, 10:45 AM
I've seen about 3 with knee length hair, a few with classic and some with waist length including children. Most have BSL and there's those with pixie cuts, bobs and twas.

kaydana
January 25th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Long hair is pretty normal where I live, especially on females under the age of about 30. I'd actually say it's significantly more common to see hair that is TBL or longer on that age group than it is to see anything shorter than shoulder length. My hair length isn't in any way unusual around here.

Colochita
January 25th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Not common. It's rare to see below APL, but then you never know what shrinkage may be hiding.

sanari
January 25th, 2016, 02:04 PM
I think perhaps in high population areas long hair is rare. In medium population areas, it can become more common, and in the low population areas it is far more common.

What do you guys think?

PristineAllure
January 25th, 2016, 02:08 PM
I think perhaps in high population areas long hair is rare. In medium population areas, it can become more common, and in the low population areas it is far more common.

What do you guys think?

I agree! Especially since low population areas tend to be more rural, and in parts of the world where longer hair is more common because people aren't trying to keep up with fashion trends.

Hairkay
January 25th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Not common. It's rare to see below APL, but then you never know what shrinkage may be hiding.

That reminds me of a school mate. She had two thick shoulder length plaits. They were thicker than mine but shorter. I bumped into her when we'd both left school. She'd straightened her hair, it was MBL.

lapis_lazuli
January 25th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Where I live, California, long hair is becoming extremely popular. I think it is from all those who "went" pixie are missing their length now. Could be extensions are being used, but I am noticing mostly long hair on women now. Or maybe this is my selective mind only "seeing" longhairs!! LOL... Could be, ya never know! -- literally!! :wigtongue

That is interesting. I didn't know long hair was becoming a trend again. Ah well, I will always be a longhair no matter what is 'fashionable' :)

lapis_lazuli
January 25th, 2016, 03:27 PM

What do you guys think?

That could be true... :hmm: Although I couldn't tell you why. Maybe long hair is considered 'old fashioned' and thus more prevalent in low population areas? High population areas tend to have passing trends and fashions that include hairstyling, urging more people to change up their hair. Just a thought.

sanari
January 25th, 2016, 04:17 PM
That could be true... :hmm: Although I couldn't tell you why. Maybe long hair is considered 'old fashioned' and thus more prevalent in low population areas? High population areas tend to have passing trends and fashions that include hairstyling, urging more people to change up their hair. Just a thought.

Exactly. High population areas tend to be more focused on fashion trends and following them.

BoopAllCats
January 25th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Somewhere between shoulder length and waist length is fairly common for women where I live. I only rarely see people with hip or classic, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone with hair past classic IRL (unless they were bunning and stealthy).

Jenw777
January 25th, 2016, 04:46 PM
My area is host to Amish, Mennonite, and a lot of Pentacostals. However, excluding the Amish (who cover), I haven't seen anyone in town with hair longer than mine. That doesn't mean it's not out there though! At work I have the longest hair. The activities director is close, but barely. Hers is chemically treated and over heat styled though :-(.

chen bao jun
January 25th, 2016, 05:54 PM

What do you guys think?

I agree.
Long hair does come in style. but its difficult because unless you happen to already have it, you can't grow it fast enough before it goes out of style. Long hair was supposed to be in style last year, but its gone out this year. Before anyone with short actually had time to grow it long.
However, long hair is very stylish in my area now. On college campuses, waist/hip is common and many ladies past 30 or even 40 have APL or bra strap length hair again now . It's not long hair like LHC, but five years ago hair was much shorter here.

Maybe the solution for long hair when its in style is what they are suggesting for men since the man bun is so trendy. and nobody's hair is long enough (except for our LHC guys). The phony bun. Maybe the fashionistas expect that you ran out and got extensions last year and are just removing them this year.

Beatrixity
January 25th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I hadn't really thought much about this, but most of my friends have long hair! Lol, some have very cute short styles, but most have around BSL length and longer. One of my friends has beautiful blonde waves and we call her "goddess." Lol, we have fun. :)

yahirwaO.o
January 25th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Well longish hair is pretty propular here (APL-Waist). But most have it dyed. LHC lenght is usually only wore by young girls or mature women. Short hair while not rare, is not popular.

Long haired dudes are either new age dancer aztec warriors or hard metal biker core gals!

trolleypup
January 25th, 2016, 08:43 PM

What do you guys think?
Depends, lots of longhairs in San Francisco, more, of course in the usual cultural groups, but uncommon in anyone.

RainbowBowser
January 25th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Plenty of people with waist length and longer here. But I've only ever seen 2-3 people with Classic length, never anything past that.

Lady Menelwen
January 26th, 2016, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't really know. The people who seem like they would have long enough hair wear religious headscarves. An Indian lady who works at my supermarket may have long hair, but she always keeps it up! It's usually mid back though for those who's hair is down.

It's sad really, I think long hair is not very mainstream.

poli
January 26th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Where I live highschoolers and students have long hair (waist/hip). People my age (40) usually wear they hair shorter, the longest hovering around BSL. I have seen very few older ladies with long braids but it is extremely rare (most people have it short and permed).

endersworld
January 27th, 2016, 08:17 PM
There's a good amount of BSL length hair where I am, and a few waist-length, but I and a friend of mine who keeps it long for religious reasons are the only TBL+ folks I've seen in some time. There was an African American fellow with the most gorgeous knee-length dreadlocks, but I haven't seen him in ages. I think he graduated. (I'm in a college town - the town itself is very conservative, but the college is pretty liberal)

Back where my parents live, it seems to be a rule that you chop off all your hair within a year of birthing your first child. However, I'm quite looking forward to being an old lady with a classic length braid, and people usually think that''s pretty weird. I already get weird looks when I go back there, and people asking when I'm going to donate it (probably never)

Silverbrumby
January 27th, 2016, 09:54 PM
So many long haired men and women where I live in hippy land Marin County CA. A gal who works in a restaurant in town has a braid that reaches her knees!

Robi-Bird
January 27th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Hair lengths have a pretty steep range in my suburb. We're 45mins from Vancouver, sort of an old farming town that turned into a city. We've got your short razor cuts to your hip length and everything in between. Lots of men with longer hair. One of my colleagues as hip length hair (male).

Elizabeth E
April 17th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Lots of young girls have hair up to waist around here...but then they usually cut it off to SL or APL when they finish school. I've seen hip-length hair only twice so far (that excludes my mum's hair) and once saw a girl with auburn calf-length hair at the library, but it was really thin with scraggly looking ends.
I also think that long hair is not quite as common as we tend to think - I've been studying 'before and after' photos and videos of hair extensions for a while, and came to the conclusion that they can be applied expertly enough to make it impossible to tell from real hair. Most of the people with WL hair I've seen so far, I suspect to be having extensions.
But at least you rarely get extensions longer than TBL, so someone with hair that long or longer is most likely to be natural.

ravenskey
April 17th, 2018, 08:18 AM
The norm for girls where I live seems to be between shoulder length and mid-back length but there are several at my school with hair in the waist - tailbone range. It's a bit of a shame that in my school most of the girls with longer hair let it hang down all the time rather than protecting it. :(
Older women tends to be SL or shorter with a few APL.
Men and boys all have very short hair with the odd exception but no one longer than SL.

nycelle
April 17th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Generally it's the younger girls, early teens and pre-teens that have hair closer to waist. Longer than that I don't see often.
For women in their 20's and on, shoulder to bsl seems to be the norm here.

Aredhel
April 17th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Usually women have hair between BSL and waist around here, but I've seen women with hair longer than mine... it's not too uncommon in my neck of the woods. :)

Da wei
April 17th, 2018, 09:12 AM
I see in school sometimes girls with long hair,as i remember its usualy WL or hip rarely.older people (late 20s+) not so much.good number of long hairers are teenage girls id say.outside school i guess around apl/bsl is seen more often than not

SnowDancer
April 17th, 2018, 09:19 AM
The longest hairs around where I live are between WL and HIP. Every once in a while I'll see someone with really long hairs but it's definitely not common.

AutobotsAttack
April 17th, 2018, 09:42 AM
BSL length is the norm.

For women of my ethnicity they typically wear weaves with synthetic or human hair. If they aren’t, it’s extremely short like ear to neck length.

Some younger guys and girls at my college have longer hair. Some have it to their butts, some have it to MBL. It’s quite a bit of a melting pot of various lengths.

lapushka
April 17th, 2018, 11:19 AM
I don't know anymore here. It seems to be very different across the ages. Some young kids with short hair, some older kids with short hair, young adults with short hair. Sometimes APL. I don't get out much but that's my current observation. Also depends on who you run across, I think.

Beeboo123
April 17th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Waist length is the most common. Almost everyone has hair between TBL and BSL.

Shoulder length and shorter is uncommon.
Classic length and longer is uncommon.

I would say it follows a normal distribution, with waist length as the median.

lithostoic
April 17th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Quite common :)

Dark40
April 17th, 2018, 12:47 PM
In my population in the USA in GA I see people with hair that is waist length and beyond, and the majority of people are either wearing extensions or they are wearing their real or natural long hair.

Joules
April 17th, 2018, 12:59 PM
I see people with waist+ hair quite often, though I wouldn't say that they are a majority, I just pay more attention. In uni I saw a lot of long-haired girls, there was even a girl with classic length in my year. Also, I've never seen women 40+ with long hair, in Russia women think that after 40 anything longer than armpit length is inappropriate. By 50 they're all wearing pixie cuts. Maybe somewhere in a remote Russian village women wear traditional long braided hair, but I've never seen it.

Kyaatje
April 17th, 2018, 01:18 PM
I don't know anymore here. It seems to be very different across the ages. Some young kids with short hair, some older kids with short hair, young adults with short hair. Sometimes APL. I don't get out much but that's my current observation. Also depends on who you run across, I think.

I tend to see longish and long hair (waist and waist+) on girls between kid and 19/20-year-old girls. Seldom boys and shorter hair on girls/women above 20 or closer to 30.
Is it possible in a country as big as a stamp we have different hair observations? But I do take the bus around the time when people either go to school or work.

Glitch
April 17th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Where I live, it’s really rare to see anyone with hair down to their waist or longer. The top common look is bleached/dyed/straightened hair, which does look amazing when styled, but the damage is too great to allow healthy hair growth. It’s very hard to find any girl, in particular, who hasn’t dyed her hair by age 11 lol. I know a colleague who still says “thanks, my hair color is natural!” after any general compliment she recieves about her healthy looking hair.

After I quit the bleaches, I even got weird responses from hair dressers when I didn’t want my hair colored, since it’s the usual expectation for anyone visiting salons. It’s such an expectation, that I haven’t been able to find a single barber shop which cuts women’s hair. It’s always the hair dye styling salons that do it. So bizarre. Even weirder, I was once contacted by a hairdresser-in-training who needed to style long hair for a final show. My hair wasn’t any longer than APL. Lmao.

Anyway, I hope natural longer hair starts trending out here. It’s always all about the dyes and extensions :neutral:

Dante
April 20th, 2018, 04:55 AM
I live in Queensland, Australia, and there are not very many people with hair that even goes to BSL above the age of 21! It is generally discouraged and thought of as "daggy", even when the short cuts look awful.
Out of the people who have hair that long, a lot of them really don't care for it well (so it looks terrible), and there are only a handful with lovely long, long hair.

Out of the class of several hundred in my university course, there is ONE girl who has waist length hair. That is it. (I don't think I'll get there by the time uni finishes, but you never know. ;) )

The women with waist-length hair or longer that I have seen all take lovely care of their hair - it looks shiny, healthy and like it would fit in on this site. :)

As Tiny Teesha said, all the women over 40 seem to get the same, awful pixie cut. Once you are over 75, they all seem to get a perm, to give it "volume". Dreadful.

They seem to use the excuse that it is very humid here. However, having lived with both very short hair AND very long hair, I think that having long hair tied up or back in a braid is cooler than short hair, because you get less heated air trapped around your head with long hair.

I’m also in Queensland, Australia (hi DecafJane! :waving:) and I agree that I don’t see a lot of long hairs here. That said, I wonder if there are some who we don’t see because their hair is up (the heat and humidity mean it’s really uncomfortable to wear long hair down for most of the year)? I do agree that long hair is cooler than short though, allowing bun and braid options. My hip length hair compresses a lot, so my buns mostly don’t look like my hair is long... maybe there are others like this? For example, here is a recent bun (& sadly one of my most biggest!)

http://i67.tinypic.com/15wm3vc.jpg

But I’m a long hair over 40, so at least I can report that there are some of us here!

Decaf Jane: what is "daggy?"

Daggy= Scruffy

I think here we tend to use daggy to mean unfashionable rather than scruffy; like you may actually look clean and presentable, just not stylish (at least, that’s how I read it!)

Todd
April 20th, 2018, 11:45 AM
I see plenty of of pre-teen and teenage girls with hair waist-length or slightly less, and somewhat fewer women in their 20s. Not common older than that though. Longer than waist length (at any age) is uncommon unless visiting a very Hispanic neighborhood where its much more common.

On guys, anything longer than mid-back is very rare. In the past few years, the only guys I've seen with hair longer than mine have had dreadlocks.

Dendra
April 20th, 2018, 01:57 PM
I see a lot more long hair in this small city than I used to in London. Hair in London is mostly in interesting cuts and colours, the focus is more on looking cool.

Now I see waist length and longer hair quite a lot. A woman in the supermarket the other day had stunning past classic hair which was in such good condition.

nycelle
April 20th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I see a lot more long hair in this small city than I used to in London. Hair in London is mostly in interesting cuts and colours, the focus is more on looking cool.

Now I see waist length and longer hair quite a lot. A woman in the supermarket the other day had stunning past classic hair which was in such good condition.

I'm in NYC and it's like that here too. The focus is more on the current hair trends so you rarely see very long hair on those in their 20's on. Even my DH falls into this- he's very conscious of the current styles, and has said over and over that very long hair is old fashioned to him. Oh well.. tough..lol

MirandaWelch
April 21st, 2018, 03:32 PM
I think Kansas City has its fair share of women with long hair. I was just out at Starbucks and saw at least two other girls who looked to be in their twenties with hair as long as mine.

chomsky
April 21st, 2018, 04:09 PM
In my part of London (East) the bob and fringe cut seems to be the go to. Like this:

http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Short-messy-bob-hair.jpg

Other than that is usually just shoulder length and very colourful. :o Occassionally, you'll see waist to hip length hair, but not so much on the artsy people that East London is known for.

peachyleshy
April 24th, 2018, 09:19 PM
I see waist or length or longer occasionally. And I always feel jealous and compare my hair to theirs.