PDA

View Full Version : Pre-wash overnight coconut oil and protein treatment in the morning

Mojave
November 6th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Hi, all! Long time lurker, first time poster here. Since this is the first question I've had that I wasn't able to find the answer to, already given in one or several other topics, I'll just go ahead and ask.

So, is there some reason why I couldn't put coconut oil on overnight, and then in the morning wash my hair (I CO almost all the time) and do a protein treatment right after (I just got Joico K-Pak and Intense Hydrator)? Such as some of the oil still coating the hairs and preventing the protein treatment from penetrating properly? I've been using coconut oil for some time (about once a month) and it's great. It's just the Joico that's new, and I was thinking of doing that about once a month too, if I like it, and since I'm lazy, I was wondering if I could bunch the two together.

Or, alternatively, does anyone have a better suggestion of how I could keep doing both of them, in order to get the most out of each? Thanks a bunch for any help!

P.S. You can see my hair type on the left, but in addition to that, I can say that I'm growing out some bleach damage (which is almost gone after a recent 1-2" cut I made; it was heartbreaking losing the leght - it was BSL before and I'm trying to GROW!!! - but I think it was a good call). My ends are much healthier now (they were abysmal), but they're still not that great.

ReptilianFeline
November 6th, 2017, 06:38 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I use coconut oil as a leave in conditioner, so I don't se a problem with you oiling your hair at night and then wash it in the morning. As for the protein part... sorry, no idea. The way I see it, you oil and then wash, will remove the oil from the equation with the K-Pak.

valkyrie90
November 6th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I do coconut oil as a pre- wash treatment regularly and recently leave it over night becoz I'm lazy to leave it on my awake hours even though I don't really like to sleep with oiled hair I gradually get used to it. It works wonders. You can definitely leave coconut oil over night , wash it off and I personally think it's enough but u can go ahead and do protein treatment and see if your hair likes it. But it maybe too much protein? Some hair really love protein. Just give it a go. And welcome to the forum , hope you enjoy your time here :d

lapushka
November 6th, 2017, 12:25 PM
There's nothing wrong with doing a coconut oil soak pre-washing, or a pre-poo as it's called. As long as you react favorably to coconut oil (if you have no issues with it, it's fine). You've been doing it for a while too, you said? So I guess, just keep doing what you've always done.

A different conditioner or shampoo shouldn't matter that much. Unless you notice they clash, but that's something you're going to have to find out on your own.

Good luck!

Mojave
November 6th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Thank you all for the input and for the warm welcome! :toast:

That's very reassuring, I'll try it tomorrow night and see how my hair likes it (the protein, I mean. The coconut I already know it likes).

Anyway, just wanted to say that I love being here, there's just so much to learn and to try, and I feel like my hair is so much nicer since I've started reading up around here and taking better care of it, so many thanks to the LHC! ^_^

Cheers!

spidermom
November 6th, 2017, 02:47 PM
I don't foresee a problem with your plan, so give it a go, see what you think.

Mojave
November 9th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Oh my gosh, you guys, I LOVE what the protein did to my hair! It's still soft and silky the way it always is right after coconut oil (or maybe this time due to the Intense Hydrator right after), but now it feels stronger and more defined (if that makes sense). I'll try and fight the temptation to overdo it, but I think I will try again in about a month or so, see how that goes. Happy clam! ^_^

Mojave
November 9th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Oh, and on an unrelated note, I got a Tangle Teezer, after having had my doubts for a long time (it looks like just any other cheap plastic brush, what's so special about it, right?), and I've gotta say, it's uncanny how well that thing works. I untangled my whole head of hair and lost maybe ten or so hairs? I feel like I normally lose that just moving my head... So yeah, even happier clam :D

lapushka
November 9th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Oh my gosh, you guys, I LOVE what the protein did to my hair! It's still soft and silky the way it always is right after coconut oil (or maybe this time due to the Intense Hydrator right after), but now it feels stronger and more defined (if that makes sense). I'll try and fight the temptation to overdo it, but I think I will try again in about a month or so, see how that goes. Happy clam! ^_^

Oh that's great. Yes, definitely don't overdo protein! Once or twice a month is more than enough, if it's a really tightly packed protein treatment.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, I got a Tangle Teezer, after having had my doubts for a long time (it looks like just any other cheap plastic brush, what's so special about it, right?), and I've gotta say, it's uncanny how well that thing works. I untangled my whole head of hair and lost maybe ten or so hairs? I feel like I normally lose that just moving my head... So yeah, even happier clam :D

I love my TT as well! I had one for 10+ years and then had to throw it out and get a new one (exactly the same original one). My Aldi does great knock offs though; my Lidl for that matter too, and I have those in my arsenal as well.

TatsuOni
November 9th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Welcome! :) It's great that it worked for you! :)