PDA

View Full Version : What is my super dry skin and hair related to?

Blondieee
November 4th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Ok so I have Hashimoto's and my TSH typically swings from in the 2's to the 3's to the 4's to the 5's. The last time it was checked it was 3.4. I know from having family member's TSH tested, that a person with healthy thyroid function should have a TSH around 1.0. And a TSH as high as mine is isn't healthy. BUT with that being said, can a TSH in the 2's and 3's and 4's and 5's cause hair and skin to be SO extremely dry? Or is that a stretch to say that? It's mainly just the skin on my face. I'm getting wrinkles and fine lines and I'm young and don't smoke or tan. Or do I need to look into something else like potentially a Biotin deficiency that can cause these same symptoms? Because my doctor tested my Biotin levels and I do have a deficiency so could that be causing it? I just don't know.

My hair is hay hair. There are some things that help like brushing it out before I get in the shower so shampoo and conditioner can get to it and certain products help like Moroccan Oil and It's a Ten. But overall it's just SUPER dry. And the products keep my hair looking decently moisturized the first day I take a shower but then they fade out. And my hair becomes super dry again.

I need some tips please! I read Redken has some wavy/curly hair products that you can use on second or third day hair. Would you try these? I wash my hair anywhere from every 3 days to every 5 days. It's now day 4 since I've shampooed and my hair is so greasy (from the seborrheic dermatitis) that I look like I haven't shampooed in a month. It's just gross.

lapushka
November 4th, 2017, 04:21 PM
You have a diagnosis now? Last time you posted here you were, I think, struggling with thyroid issues that weren't diagnosed (yet).

I have extremely dry skin, and I use Nivea's blue tin as a moisturizing cream day & night (also around my eyes). It works for me. A tiny bit goes a long way, so you don't need much. You do need to rub it in well.

It seems as though your hair is a constant struggle for you. :flower: I sympathize. You might want to look into rinse-out oil and LOC/LCO (both links are in my signature).

Good luck!

Blondieee
November 4th, 2017, 04:28 PM
No I had a diagnosis before. It's just that I wasn't on medication which I'm still not.

Thank you for the recommendations! I will try those.

I mean something is just not right. I only brush my teeth once a day now because I'm so exhausted. And this is coming from someone who brushed so well before that my dentist said I had A+ brushing.

But yes my hair and energy is a constant struggle. I just want my hair and energy back :'(

lapushka
November 4th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Oh you poor thing. Have you talked to your doctor about taking medication? Have they offered. Things might get better when you're on medication. But that, of course, is between you and your doctor (and isn't anybody's business). It's just that it is so sad to hear. :(

Jo Ann
November 4th, 2017, 05:59 PM
No I had a diagnosis before. It's just that I wasn't on medication which I'm still not.

Thank you for the recommendations! I will try those.

I mean something is just not right. I only brush my teeth once a day now because I'm so exhausted. And this is coming from someone who brushed so well before that my dentist said I had A+ brushing.

But yes my hair and energy is a constant struggle. I just want my hair and energy back :'(
The energy is between you and your doctor.

Biotin (maybe a hair, skin and nails formula multi-vitamin?) might help your new hair come in healthier. Have you tried using any type of oil on your hair? Even though I drench my hair with moisturizing products after I shower, it still can use an extra boost between shampoos. Thanks to Lapushka's recommendation, the LOC method (link here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167 ) helps my hair to retain moisture better. Occasionally, though, I still need an extra boost between washings--I use an argan oil serum (argan, avocado, grapeseed and sweet almond oil blend) that I get in the vitamin section of Wal-mart. A few drops applied to my hair from the ears down and I'm good to go!

Blondieee
November 5th, 2017, 01:20 AM
Yes it makes me really sad :(
Most doctors I've seen haven't offered. One endocrinologist gave me Tirosint and said he didn't think it would help but basically he was giving it to me because I kept complaining about these debilitating symptoms. But I can't swallow pills. I have to crush them and that medication is a gel and can't be crushed. I asked him what do you do for people who can't swallow pills? And he was like "I don't know. Intravenously I guess."

I tried Biotin before and took 2 gummies and it made me break out but maybe 1 would be better? Because even though dermatologists have told me to take 5,000 for the hair loss and dryness, I'm assuming that's not going to do anything more than 1,500? I will check out the LOC method. Thank you for your help!

lapushka
November 10th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Yes it makes me really sad :(
Most doctors I've seen haven't offered. One endocrinologist gave me Tirosint and said he didn't think it would help but basically he was giving it to me because I kept complaining about these debilitating symptoms. But I can't swallow pills. I have to crush them and that medication is a gel and can't be crushed. I asked him what do you do for people who can't swallow pills? And he was like "I don't know. Intravenously I guess."

I tried Biotin before and took 2 gummies and it made me break out but maybe 1 would be better? Because even though dermatologists have told me to take 5,000 for the hair loss and dryness, I'm assuming that's not going to do anything more than 1,500? I will check out the LOC method. Thank you for your help!

If you can't swallow pills, then maybe ask the pharmacist - they might have an answer or contraption to better crush the medication. And do let the doctor put it into your file, it is need-to-know information!

Panthera
November 10th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Have you tried eating the pills with food? Something solid, take a big mouthful, chew, hide the pill into the mouthfull of food so that you can't feel it in your mouth. Then just swallow quickly. Or maybe ask from the doctor if the pills can be changed to something smaller? Or you could try to practise it first with some really small pills, maybe even candy? I can't swallow big pills either, but if they're small enough the food trick works. Usually. Sometimes they still get stuck in my throath.

Obsidian
November 10th, 2017, 07:22 PM
My thyroid meds (levothyroxine) are quite small, they could be hidden in a spoonful of pudding or applesauce. That's how my grandmother takes a lot of her pills. Alternately, you can chew them as they are very neutral tasting. I had to chew them for two weeks after I had my tonsils out.

How is your pain level? If you have a lot of all over body pain, maybe fibromyalgia is something you should look into. I also have that and its frequently accompanied by chronic fatigue syndrome.

akurah
November 10th, 2017, 09:44 PM
So this is only a partial solution, and it's an expensive one, but this is what my doctor has me doing:
When you get out of the shower, do not rub dry with the towel, blot or pat your skin with it. This is to keep from removing too much water from your skin so that the ointment/lotion/cream you apply next will trap the moisture.
Use a moisturizing lotion, cream, or ointment on your skin, and cover all of your skin with it from the neck down, excluding your genitals (but including your chest). Apply thickly. I use Vanicream, which is classified as a cream. And when I say thick, I mean thick, at least as so in the picture (if not thicker):
https://i.imgur.com/0iwSOFu.jpg?1
You can either rub it in fully, or let it sort of evaporate. I sometimes do thicker than is shown in the picture, but I am making a demo picture and don't want to go through the tub too quickly . If I shower daily, I go through a tub in about a week to week and a half. I use Vanicream, I get a 1 lb tub of it, and it's something like $15.25 a tub after taxes. Needless to say, I no longer shower daily because I can't afford to go through a tub a week of this stuff. Showering too frequently will dry your skin out too, so unless you've already gone a few days, or really stink, or otherwise need to shower? Skip it. I go two days typically between showers, sometimes 3. If I go 3, I wash my armpits on day 2.

Ointments will be the most moisturizing. This will be stuff like petroleum jelly and aquaphor.
Creams are more more moisturizing than lotions, but less than ointments. This will be stuff like Vanicream, some of the Cereve stuff, some of the Cetaphil stuff.
Lotions are the least moisturizing. This'll be stuff like Cetaphil, Cereve, Eucerin, Lubriderm, etc.

In general, if the product calls itself a thing, that's what it is. So it'll say if it's an ointment, cream, or lotion. They may choose to be cute and spell cream as "creme" though, I believe it's still the same.
The point of this is to keep the skin moisturized. My doctor has me doing it because dry skin is itchy skin. For you, if you chose to do this, the purpose isn't to keep your skin from itching, but to just plain keep it from being dry.

I would do the same as above for your face, but I would suggest getting products formulated for the face specifically. I would apply a very heavy layer at night, and do a lighter layer during the day. If you can, and if you don't choose to use the sunscreen I suggest below, get a face moisturizer with sunscreen.

This goes without saying, but wear sunscreen. People with skin problems, regardless of the cause (mine being histamine/allergy side of the immune system being dysfunctional, yours being an autoimmune disorder outright), need to wear sunscreen all the time on our faces at minimum, if not on all exposed skin, if we do not want to look aged faster. I prefer to use either Neutrogena's face bar (https://www.neutrogena.com/sun/ultra-sheer-face-body-stick-sunscreen-broad-spectrum-spf-70/6811010.html), or the Walmart knockoff. (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Beauty-Oil-Free-Sunscreen-Stick-SPF-70-1-5-Oz/51222487)

The second thing you should do is drink as much water as you can stand, at least a glass or so every two hours. If your body is dehydrated, your skin will be. It will not fix your dryness problems, but it should keep it from getting as bad as it can get.

Has your doctor even suggested this? If not I'm a little embarrassed on their behalf. This should be one of the things they suggest if complaints include dry skin.

ghanima
November 11th, 2017, 01:12 AM
According to Ayurveda dryness of hair and skin is due to exacerbation of Vata dosha, and it's easily addressed. Also hypothyroidism can be a Vata problem btw.
If that resonates with you, see if you can change slightly your habits and food to calm Vata, at least some of them, it can't hurt. Here some easy guidelines:
https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/ayurvedic-living/living-ayurveda/diet/vata-pacifying-diet/
https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/ayurvedic-living/learning-ayurveda/balancing-vata/
https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/ayurvedic-living/living-ayurveda/diet/vata-pacifying-foods/

lapushka
November 11th, 2017, 05:33 AM
So this is only a partial solution, and it's an expensive one, but this is what my doctor has me doing:
When you get out of the shower, do not rub dry with the towel, blot or pat your skin with it. This is to keep from removing too much water from your skin so that the ointment/lotion/cream you apply next will trap the moisture.
Use a moisturizing lotion, cream, or ointment on your skin, and cover all of your skin with it from the neck down, excluding your genitals (but including your chest). Apply thickly. I use Vanicream, which is classified as a cream. And when I say thick, I mean thick, at least as so in the picture (if not thicker):
https://i.imgur.com/0iwSOFu.jpg?1
You can either rub it in fully, or let it sort of evaporate. I sometimes do thicker than is shown in the picture, but I am making a demo picture and don't want to go through the tub too quickly . If I shower daily, I go through a tub in about a week to week and a half. I use Vanicream, I get a 1 lb tub of it, and it's something like $15.25 a tub after taxes. Needless to say, I no longer shower daily because I can't afford to go through a tub a week of this stuff. Showering too frequently will dry your skin out too, so unless you've already gone a few days, or really stink, or otherwise need to shower? Skip it. I go two days typically between showers, sometimes 3. If I go 3, I wash my armpits on day 2.

Ointments will be the most moisturizing. This will be stuff like petroleum jelly and aquaphor.
Creams are more more moisturizing than lotions, but less than ointments. This will be stuff like Vanicream, some of the Cereve stuff, some of the Cetaphil stuff.
Lotions are the least moisturizing. This'll be stuff like Cetaphil, Cereve, Eucerin, Lubriderm, etc.

In general, if the product calls itself a thing, that's what it is. So it'll say if it's an ointment, cream, or lotion. They may choose to be cute and spell cream as "creme" though, I believe it's still the same.
The point of this is to keep the skin moisturized. My doctor has me doing it because dry skin is itchy skin. For you, if you chose to do this, the purpose isn't to keep your skin from itching, but to just plain keep it from being dry.

I would do the same as above for your face, but I would suggest getting products formulated for the face specifically. I would apply a very heavy layer at night, and do a lighter layer during the day. If you can, and if you don't choose to use the sunscreen I suggest below, get a face moisturizer with sunscreen.

This goes without saying, but wear sunscreen. People with skin problems, regardless of the cause (mine being histamine/allergy side of the immune system being dysfunctional, yours being an autoimmune disorder outright), need to wear sunscreen all the time on our faces at minimum, if not on all exposed skin, if we do not want to look aged faster. I prefer to use either Neutrogena's face bar (https://www.neutrogena.com/sun/ultra-sheer-face-body-stick-sunscreen-broad-spectrum-spf-70/6811010.html), or the Walmart knockoff. (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Beauty-Oil-Free-Sunscreen-Stick-SPF-70-1-5-Oz/51222487)

The second thing you should do is drink as much water as you can stand, at least a glass or so every two hours. If your body is dehydrated, your skin will be. It will not fix your dryness problems, but it should keep it from getting as bad as it can get.

Has your doctor even suggested this? If not I'm a little embarrassed on their behalf. This should be one of the things they suggest if complaints include dry skin.

akurah, I have a disability of the legs, and so due to the leg issues and the Menière's on top of it in recent years, I can no longer shower. Due to the legs, I cannot bathe. So I get washed at the sink, fully. But I only let mom do my limbs once a week. The rest of me is washed daily. We do this with an old-fashioned wash cloth, so I don't know if you know them, but I mean the EU terrycloth mitts (not the tiny towels). And it's great. I am dry too, but no eczema or other issue, just very dry. It helps, and trust me. I am *clean*!

Deborah
November 11th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Have you tried washing your body (you can do your face too) with water only? This has helped my dry skin tremendously. To do this I use a somewhat rough, cheap washcloth to wash everywhere while I am in the shower. You honestly can get perfectly clean doing this. I need moisturizer on my face, but I can get by with just that.

Best of luck with whatever you try!

akurah
November 11th, 2017, 05:11 PM
akurah, I have a disability of the legs, and so due to the leg issues and the Menière's on top of it in recent years, I can no longer shower. Due to the legs, I cannot bathe. So I get washed at the sink, fully. But I only let mom do my limbs once a week. The rest of me is washed daily. We do this with an old-fashioned wash cloth, so I don't know if you know them, but I mean the EU terrycloth mitts (not the tiny towels). And it's great. I am dry too, but no eczema or other issue, just very dry. It helps, and trust me. I am *clean*!

Well stink and cleanliness are... we're too uptight about it as a society. It's actually not great for our skin to wash it as we do daily, it compromises it and is actually outright bad for people with certain conditions. I'm generally of the mindset that unless you smell, you probably don't need to clean, and even if you smell? You probably don't need to clean your whole body, just wash up the smelly parts (usually the armpits) and go on about your business.

Obsidian
November 11th, 2017, 06:24 PM
My grandmother was recently told by her dermatologist that the only place you really need to wash with cleanser is the hands, armpits, crotch and feet. Of course if you are really dirty, wash whatever needs it.
I get really dry skin in the winter so I
m going to try less soap all over, see if it does help.

akurah
November 11th, 2017, 07:25 PM
My grandmother was recently told by her dermatologist that the only place you really need to wash with cleanser is the hands, armpits, crotch and feet. Of course if you are really dirty, wash whatever needs it.
I get really dry skin in the winter so I
m going to try less soap all over, see if it does help.

For women, it’s butt, not crotch. You don’t want soap getting in the genital area if possible. Genitalia should be washed with water only for women. (No idea about men)

If you’re prone to dry skin I suggest stopping soap. Dove makes a moisturizing cleansing bar, and Cetaphil makes a moisturizing wash. Alternatively, use hair conditioner as a body wash

BlueKittyMeow
November 12th, 2017, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure about the thyroid issues (and sorry you are dealing with those!) but, not to ask an obvious question, are you drinking enough water? I cannot remember to drink enough and I have SUCH issues with dry skin and that extends to my hair as well.
Have you had any luck doing SMT or other humectant treatments? Just trying to think of ways to help beyond the medical issues.