PDA

View Full Version : Viatimins?

Xan
November 4th, 2017, 02:06 AM
What supliments / vitimins do you guys recomend for healthy thick hair. Should I take extra biotin in additon to a multiviatimin?

YumiYume
November 4th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Does the multivitamin have biotin in it? Im going to buy innate respons food multi III, and it has biotin in :)

I googled a lot about what hair needs, and it was so much! Innate response do cover almost all, exept something i dont remember and silica and msm and omega 3, so that is what im going to take extra, silica, msm and omega 3 :). (And vit D but thats because i live in sweden)

The-Young-Maid
November 4th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I've been taking a multivitamin gummy and a Hair, Skin and Nails vitamin for maybe 5+ years now. I'd recommend picking up a H,S,N vitamin because it probably works better than just taking biotin alone. Any brand should work fine. Of course this should be combined with a healthy diet.

ReptilianFeline
November 4th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Just make sure you don't take too much silica since that will be bad for iron uptake, and we need iron to grow a healthy head of hair anyways.

sarahthegemini
November 4th, 2017, 09:54 AM
You should be taking vitamins only if you're actually deficient. If you're not deficient, no amount of vitamins are going to give you healthy thick hair...

YumiYume
November 4th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Just make sure you don't take too much silica since that will be bad for iron uptake, and we need iron to grow a healthy head of hair anyways.

I found one silica brand that 1 dose was exactly the same amount silica as it is in my hair vitamin that i take now (silicea) so i go for that one :) but thank you for charing that it can affect iron uptake! I found in another thred that to much msm can reduse iodin upptake (and cause depression) so i hope 800mg is ok

Eastbound&Down
November 4th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Prenatal vitamins and a biotin supplement (I cut the biotin in half) daily with food. I was also prescribed a calcium + vitamin D supplement because the sum doesn't come out very often this time of year. A healthy diet is really your best bet at a healthy body, and that includes hair.

katydid317
November 4th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I started taking nature's bounty hair skin, and nails a couple months ago to see if it would help my extremely dry skin (it did) but as an added bonus I shed significantly less so I'm hoping eventually I will see an increase in thickness. I used to shed small handfuls of hair every time I washed, brushed, or even combed my hair and now it's just a few hairs at a time. I'm sure my shower drain is thankful lol.

ReptilianFeline
November 4th, 2017, 01:20 PM
I found one silica brand that 1 dose was exactly the same amount silica as it is in my hair vitamin that i take now (silicea) so i go for that one :) but thank you for charing that it can affect iron uptake! I found in another thred that to much msm can reduse iodin upptake (and cause depression) so i hope 800mg is ok

The funny thing is that (not funny really) I was taking extra silica to help with nails and hair and I was feeling really crook after a while. Then I noticed on the bottle of stomach pills that contained silica that they affected iron intake/uptake. So I stopped taking the silica, added a bit more iron to compensate and felt better after a while. My problem is that the hair and nail supplements doesn't warn about the connection to iron.

Just be careful.

Nique1202
November 4th, 2017, 01:29 PM
You should be taking vitamins only if you're actually deficient. If you're not deficient, no amount of vitamins are going to give you healthy thick hair...

This this this! If you are not deficient in a vitamin or other nutrient, then taking extra will not help your hair growth. If you think you might be deficient in something, it's best to talk to a doctor and get testing done. Then they can prescribe what you need, if anything. If you just want to make sure without going to a doctor, I wouldn't take more than a multivitamin. Even something like silica is extremely rare to be deficient in (especially because silica is a major component of household dust, which gets into every meal you prepare no matter how careful you are) and if you can eat a balanced diet with lots of different kinds of foods (even using frozen and canned foods if you can't get good fresh stuff year-round) it can give you all the nutrients you need without having to spend extra money and effort on vitamins and supplements that you might not need in the first place.

Deborah
November 4th, 2017, 02:28 PM
I take some vitamins because I believe they are good for me, and my doctor says I am otherwise deficient in B12 and D. They don't make any difference to my hair. Some people think Biotin helps with their hair. I did not find it made the slightest difference to my hair, but it does make my fingernails stronger.

lapushka
November 4th, 2017, 02:40 PM
This this this! If you are not deficient in a vitamin or other nutrient, then taking extra will not help your hair growth. If you think you might be deficient in something, it's best to talk to a doctor and get testing done. Then they can prescribe what you need, if anything. If you just want to make sure without going to a doctor, I wouldn't take more than a multivitamin. Even something like silica is extremely rare to be deficient in (especially because silica is a major component of household dust, which gets into every meal you prepare no matter how careful you are) and if you can eat a balanced diet with lots of different kinds of foods (even using frozen and canned foods if you can't get good fresh stuff year-round) it can give you all the nutrients you need without having to spend extra money and effort on vitamins and supplements that you might not need in the first place.

Seconding this. I take a multivitamin because medication I take makes it to where I get shortages, so I supplement. If that weren't the case, I would not be taking vitamins at all. I take a multivitamin + calcium/vitaminD3 (long story).

Go to a doctor, and do not start just taking vitamins willy nilly.

akurah
November 4th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Seconding this. I take a multivitamin because medication I take makes it to where I get shortages, so I supplement. If that weren't the case, I would not be taking vitamins at all. I take a multivitamin + calcium/vitaminD3 (long story).

Go to a doctor, and do not start just taking vitamins willy nilly.

Yup. Thirding that.

Vitamins will not help your hair grow if you're not deficient in vitamins, and unless you have a disorder or disease of some sort, you're almost certainly not deficient.

Taking vitamins when you are not deficient can cause unpleasant side effects. For example, biotin causes acne. Some vitamins you can overdose on because they're not water soluble.

In general, unless your doctor has told you to take a vitamin, you probably shouldn't be.

marvel-lover
November 4th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Yup. Thirding that.

Vitamins will not help your hair grow if you're not deficient in vitamins, and unless you have a disorder or disease of some sort, you're almost certainly not deficient.

Taking vitamins when you are not deficient can cause unpleasant side effects. For example, biotin causes acne. Some vitamins you can overdose on because they're not water soluble.

In general, unless your doctor has told you to take a vitamin, you probably shouldn't be.

Hard core fourthing. It's not a bad idea to take a multivitamin. Especially women, as they need higher amounts of calcium and folic acid to prevent birth defects, be strong enough for labor, and because our bones lose calcium quicker than male's bodies. Plus, during the flu season, making sure your immune system is supported is incredibly important. If you're just taking a multivitamin, the extras of the vitamins that your body gets enough to will just pass through your body and be deposited as urine, generally with little to no side effects.

If you are eating a balanced diet, taking in your vitamins and protein through your food, then adding additional, vitamins (such as biotin capsules) could actually be doing more harm than good. Always always always talk to your doctor or practicioner before adding new vitamins into your diet, even multivitamins if you aren't sure which would benefit your body the best!!

lapushka
November 4th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Hard core fourthing. It's not a bad idea to take a multivitamin. Especially women, as they need higher amounts of calcium and folic acid to prevent birth defects, be strong enough for labor, and because our bones lose calcium quicker than male's bodies. Plus, during the flu season, making sure your immune system is supported is incredibly important. If you're just taking a multivitamin, the extras of the vitamins that your body gets enough to will just pass through your body and be deposited as urine, generally with little to no side effects.

If you are eating a balanced diet, taking in your vitamins and protein through your food, then adding additional, vitamins (such as biotin capsules) could actually be doing more harm than good. Always always always talk to your doctor or practicioner before adding new vitamins into your diet, even multivitamins if you aren't sure which would benefit your body the best!!

My mom when pregnant with me lost teeth because I was "running away" with all her calcium. This was the early 70s, in Belgium, and gosh there wasn't such a thing as prenatal vitamins. I'm glad there are now, but you'd have to be *pregnant* or wanting to be to take them. Do not just take them because you think hey, more is more.

Please ask your doctor's advice before taking any vitamins or minerals, or other products. This coming from someone who has to take a lot of medication due to a chronic illness, & chronic nerve pain.

marvel-lover
November 4th, 2017, 05:05 PM
My mom when pregnant with me lost teeth because I was "running away" with all her calcium. This was the early 70s, in Belgium, and gosh there wasn't such a thing as prenatal vitamins. I'm glad there are now, but you'd have to be *pregnant* or wanting to be to take them. Do not just take them because you think hey, more is more.

Please ask your doctor's advice before taking any vitamins or minerals, or other products. This coming from someone who has to take a lot of medication due to a chronic illness, & chronic nerve pain.
Oh I apologize for my misinformation! One of the big medical movements in the US appears to be having all women who are of age to be able to have children begin taking folic acid. I hear it in all of my medical-based classes, from my doctors, my nurse mom, etc. I apologize if this is incorrect!

lapushka
November 4th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Oh I apologize for my misinformation! One of the big medical movements in the US appears to be having all women who are of age to be able to have children begin taking folic acid. I hear it in all of my medical-based classes, from my doctors, my nurse mom, etc. I apologize if this is incorrect!

This is not incorrect, please don't apologize. In the US things might be *totally* different than in my country. Here it's not such a trend that all women of childbearing age need to take these vitamins. I think it's only taken when there's a wish to have a child.

marvel-lover
November 4th, 2017, 05:16 PM
This is not incorrect, please don't apologize. In the US things might be *totally* different than in my country. Here it's not such a trend that all women of childbearing age need to take these vitamins. I think it's only taken when there's a wish to have a child.
That's very interesting. I'm very sorry! I didn't mean to lead people wrong! Even before taking multivitamins, people should always consult their doctor. I think I included that in my post, but if I didn't, I'm very sorry!!

lapushka
November 4th, 2017, 05:21 PM
That's very interesting. I'm very sorry! I didn't mean to lead people wrong! Even before taking multivitamins, people should always consult their doctor. I think I included that in my post, but if I didn't, I'm very sorry!!

Don't apologize; I think it's a given people should consult with their doctors, but there will always be people nonetheless who will just do what they want, and we for sure can't stop them. ;) Everybody should do what they want, but I urge you to be careful especially with multivitamins that have 100% vit. A and 100% iron, because you also have your diet and if it's healthy enough, too much might be too much. It's esp. bad for those 2 if you have too much of it.

I have a multivitamin with 70% iron, and I'm comfortable with that because I know I get some iron from my food (eating meat has decreased here over the years). And I lose a lot during my menses. So it's fine.

marvel-lover
November 4th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Don't apologize; I think it's a given people should consult with their doctors, but there will always be people nonetheless who will just do what they want, and we for sure can't stop them. ;) Everybody should do what they want, but I urge you to be careful especially with multivitamins that have 100% vit. A and 100% iron, because you also have your diet and if it's healthy enough, too much might be too much. It's esp. bad for those 2 if you have too much of it.

I have a multivitamin with 70% iron, and I'm comfortable with that because I know I get some iron from my food. And I lose a lot during my menses. So it's fine.

Oh definitely! Hence why it's important to talk with your doctor about what vitamins, if any, you should take! I think the push in the US for folic acid, as far as I can tell, is because unplanned pregnancies are so common here. It helps so, should you become pregnant, the mother and the baby are as healthy as possible.

Dark40
November 4th, 2017, 08:11 PM
I take just a multivitamin, vitamin B, C, D, and vitamins for hair, skin, and nails.

YumiYume
November 5th, 2017, 12:03 AM
The funny thing is that (not funny really) I was taking extra silica to help with nails and hair and I was feeling really crook after a while. Then I noticed on the bottle of stomach pills that contained silica that they affected iron intake/uptake. So I stopped taking the silica, added a bit more iron to compensate and felt better after a while. My problem is that the hair and nail supplements doesn't warn about the connection to iron.

Just be careful.

Since women easy can lack iron that should indeed be a awareness text! Luckily, the multivitamin also contains iron :). Since it is the same amount and i dont feel bad now it will hopefully be ok :). But, i will write this down just in case, thank you :)

diddiedaisy
November 5th, 2017, 07:04 AM
I have digestion issues and take biotin which helps my digestive system, when I have a break from it I can gaurentee shedding. I also take b vitamins and a multi vit with minerals. For me it’s about keeping it in my scalp rather than faster growth.

ReptilianFeline
November 5th, 2017, 08:39 AM
The bottles of vitamins and multi-vitamins here in Sweden, has the persentage of daily dosage listed on the lable. That way you can give yourself a boost without overdoing it... unless you take too many pills.

YumiYume
November 5th, 2017, 08:58 AM
The bottles of vitamins and multi-vitamins here in Sweden, has the persentage of daily dosage listed on the lable. That way you can give yourself a boost without overdoing it... unless you take too many pills.

Second this :)! Isnt it standard everywhere? Here i thought that every country labels everything so everyone can do reserch?:confused:

lapushka
November 5th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Second this :)! Isnt it standard everywhere? Here i thought that every country labels everything so everyone can do reserch?:confused:

Yep, I have a label on mine too, stating the numbers and percentages. I think that's pretty much standard. :)

akurah
November 5th, 2017, 09:26 AM

The problem with this is supplements here in the US are not regulated, and the percentages can be off, sometimes wildly, potentially even dangerously. The most popular brands are typically safe. I generally recommend someone use either a brand that is generic for a pharmacy (for example, Walgreens generic brand, or CVS generic brand, or if you are part of an HMO, one of the brands they carry) or a widely known brand name like Flintstones or Centrum.

YumiYume
November 5th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Yep, I have a label on mine too, stating the numbers and percentages. I think that's pretty much standard. :)

Thats good :)!

The problem with this is supplements here in the US are not regulated, and the percentages can be off, sometimes wildly, potentially even dangerously. The most popular brands are typically safe. I generally recommend someone use either a brand that is generic for a pharmacy (for example, Walgreens generic brand, or CVS generic brand, or if you are part of an HMO, one of the brands they carry) or a widely known brand name like Flintstones or Centrum.

Wow thats bad! No wonder so many talking about that it could be dangerous :( !

Good that you recomend some you know is good ^^

Innate response is really great and safe, its from organic raw food too :) but i dont know if it can be bought in the usa?

Krissycats
November 5th, 2017, 10:59 AM
I use the Target brand Up vitamins for hair, skin, and nails.

lapushka
November 5th, 2017, 12:34 PM
akurah, Centrum vitamins are a Dutch brand, I think. At least I always got mine from a Dutch drugstore when I still took those. They're nice! We have "Supradyn" in Belgium. I got mine (brandless, well their own brand, so not exactly "brandless") from Aldi and I think it's pretty much regulated by the EU, because the ranges are within the limit on those!

Dark40
November 5th, 2017, 04:22 PM
I have digestion issues and take biotin which helps my digestive system, when I have a break from it I can gaurentee shedding. I also take b vitamins and a multi vit with minerals. For me it’s about keeping it in my scalp rather than faster growth.

Awwww, I'm so sorry that you have digestion issues. It's a good thing that the biotin helps you. Yeah, I'm just like you. If I don't take the biotin or hair vitamins I will start shedding a lot again. You're right. The important thing is to keep it all on your scalp rather than faster growth. Now, if faster growth is added for me that's great.