PDA

View Full Version : Moisturizing Favorites

Synester
November 3rd, 2017, 02:20 PM
Hey ladies my hair is dry and snapping like its no ones business. I think i've accessed that my protein levels in my hair aren't the problem, but my moisture its super lacking.
What are your favorite moisturizing "shampoos,Conditioners,treatments" and what are the best hair oils for moisture. I need some heavy duty stuff.

Please drop your favorites down below!! I need to up my hair care arsenal

vampyyri
November 3rd, 2017, 03:28 PM
It's good that you're dialing back on protein for sure.

For me personally, I use cheapo conditioners like V05 and Suave... perhaps look into trying this treatment: link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) , it's really great for a quick moisture boost.

Corvana
November 3rd, 2017, 03:43 PM
I haven't tried an AMT (linked by vampyyri above), but have heard loads of great stuff about it!

My personal favorite deep conditioner is L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture. It's thick but not "can't spread it in my hair" thick, smells so good, and my hair is always so silky smooth after I've used it. Your classifier lists you as having fine hair, which I don't have, but my roommate/best friend does have fine hair and has used the NTMM for several years now (originally stealing mine when I was regularly bleaching and dyeing my hair purple and pink) and it hasn't overloaded her hair. I do think she uses about the same amount I do, even though she has much more hair than I do (length and number of strands, although we learned recently that technically my hair is a couple mm thicker in the pony circ!). So if you do go this route, start out more sparingly and use the bare minimum to coat your hair.

I also use regular conditioners for dry hair when I wash, because I prefer them lol. Another thing to try out, IMO!

Suze
November 3rd, 2017, 04:02 PM
I love the Say yes to blueberries conditioner. It's really rich, I can't use it every wash for that reason but maybe it woukd work for you. I also love the Aussie 3MM and I love, love, LOVE R&B Hair moisturizer by Lush, you could get a free sample of that to try it out if you have a Lush nearby. And SMT's as vampyyri already suggested.

What is your hair routine now?

lapushka
November 3rd, 2017, 04:07 PM
I love the HE Hello Hydration conditioner (although it has a tad protein in it). But you should be able to find deep conditioners / masks from any brand in the drugstore. :)

Jo Ann
November 3rd, 2017, 04:58 PM
I use Shea Moisture's Moisture Retention Shampoo (non-SLS/SLES) and Conditioner, followed by Lapushka's HG, Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration (highly recommend!). I LOC with Shea Moisture's Strengthen and Grow Leave-In Conditioner (also referred to as SM's JBCO Leave-in), coconut oil and Sally Beauty's GVP version of Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Style Milk. LOC/LCO info can be found here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167

For SMT, I avoid anything by VO5 (too high in protein for my hair). I've had decent results using Aussie 3MM Mega-Moist conditioner, Sally's GVP version of Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm and Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator. I ALWAYS follow my SMT with Hello Hydration. My rule of thumb for SMT with my hair is the higher on the ingredient list I find protein, the faster I walk away from it. Other SMT conditioners that have found favor can be found here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

I also use an argan serum I find in Wal-Mart's vitamin section: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Organic-Morroccan-Argan-Oil-Serum-2-Oz/46342028 Just a few drops work wonders and you can use it on wet or dry hair.

Good luck, Synester!

ETA: If I had to pick just ONE thing on this list to start with, it would be the Hello Hydration--I started my hair care routine with that one item!

Kellylee
November 3rd, 2017, 06:19 PM
I really like joyco moisture line(blue bottle). It's a 10 mask is good but it is pricey so I wash my hair and put it on cover it with a shower cap and get it warm with a heating pad and leave it on for hours to get the best results.

Synester
November 3rd, 2017, 07:54 PM
Suze i didnt know say yes made hair stuff i thought it was only a skin care thing i will have to look into that. And my hair care is super poor right now, i use OGX shampoo with caffeine and niacin for my hair fall (i havent noticed anything life changing with the shampoo) but i like the smell. I like OGX brand. and my conditioner is a deep treatment mask by l'oreal. i sparingly oil with extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. i currently have neither and need to go buy a bunch of new hair oils. My hair is super dry and is breaking a lot lately. its baby fine too. I dont use much heat, i blow dry my hair thats about it. Im usually really good with it. But sometimes im sure im being too hot on it. I just love blow drying it smooth.

Synester
November 3rd, 2017, 07:57 PM
All of those things sound great Jo Ann! ill have to get involved with Shea Moisture products, i hear nothing but good things!

Jo Ann
November 3rd, 2017, 08:18 PM
Suze i didnt know say yes made hair stuff i thought it was only a skin care thing i will have to look into that. And my hair care is super poor right now, i use OGX shampoo with caffeine and niacin for my hair fall (i havent noticed anything life changing with the shampoo) but i like the smell. I like OGX brand. and my conditioner is a deep treatment mask by l'oreal. i sparingly oil with extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. i currently have neither and need to go buy a bunch of new hair oils. My hair is super dry and is breaking a lot lately. its baby fine too. I dont use much heat, i blow dry my hair thats about it. Im usually really good with it. But sometimes im sure im being too hot on it. I just love blow drying it smooth.
Synester, my hair is dry, too. Two shampoo/conditioners I like in the OGX line are the Coconut Milk and, especially the Kukui Oil. I found both to be moisturizing, but I'll take the Kukui Oil S&C over the Coconut Milk S&C. YMMV

Shea Moisture is expensive--if you can, though, go for the smaller bottles (Dollar General has then for about $7 each where I live)--at least to try them to see if you like them.

If you go for coconut oil, I got a small jar of the Lou-Ann brand (not the organic stuff--personally, I don't see why the organic is "better") for under $4 at Wal-Mart, in the cooking aisle.

vega
November 3rd, 2017, 08:19 PM
I'm loving jessicurl line , super moisturing just used too Shea conditioner as treatment hair is so soft

Synester
November 3rd, 2017, 09:00 PM
I just look for raw, unrefined cold pressed oils always. and i need to ssave up for Shea moisture.

my2cats1
November 3rd, 2017, 09:07 PM
I recently discovered Shea Moisture's Moisture Recovery Treatment Masque and I love it. A little goes a long way, and it doesn't weigh my hair down at all.

Krissycats
November 3rd, 2017, 09:10 PM
I see Shea Moisture quite often at Marshall’s, Ross, and TJ Maxx for good deals. I tried a SM conditioner last night and my hair feels great.

Synester
November 3rd, 2017, 09:46 PM
Next pay check is going towards a basket full of SM products it is then lol! but yeah I just have fine fine fine, dry breakage most of my problems are mechanical damage. not really heat even though i do use heat to a degree. my hair is just so fragile if i even lightly try and brush it with super soft motions with a wide tooth comb or my tangle teezer, breaking strands is something i cannot escape. my hair gets super tangly. i mega envy the people who rarely brush their hair. "i havent brushed it in days" if i did that...my hair would be one giant dredlock.

Andthetalltrees
November 3rd, 2017, 10:26 PM
Aussie Moist and 3MM, cheap and very effective on my hair. My hair hates SM, if your hair hates protein then most lines of SM aren't for you. There's a few without protein but most have at least a bit

Jo Ann
November 3rd, 2017, 10:34 PM
Next pay check is going towards a basket full of SM products it is then lol! but yeah I just have fine fine fine, dry breakage most of my problems are mechanical damage. not really heat even though i do use heat to a degree. my hair is just so fragile if i even lightly try and brush it with super soft motions with a wide tooth comb or my tangle teezer, breaking strands is something i cannot escape. my hair gets super tangly. i mega envy the people who rarely brush their hair. "i havent brushed it in days" if i did that...my hair would be one giant dredlock.
Have you tried clarifying your hair, followed by a deep moisture treatment or SMT, Synester? That might help some of your problem, if it's caused by build-up.

Jo Ann
November 3rd, 2017, 10:37 PM
Aussie Moist and 3MM, cheap and very effective on my hair. My hair hates SM, if your hair hates protein then most lines of SM aren't for you. There's a few without protein but most have at least a bit
The SM Intense Hydration Shampoo/Conditioner doesn't have protein. My hair's sensitive to protein (can you say "just stepped off my broom"?) and I have no problem with that particular SM line. I haven't tried the other SM lines, except for the Coconut/Hibiscus Curling Milk or JBCO leave-in.

Synester
November 3rd, 2017, 10:41 PM
My hair doesnt mind protein too much, but that was when i had very processed bleached,regularly colored hair. Im 2 years into growing out my virgin hair im a good 70% virgin hair the rest bleached chemical treated bits. I think ive tried 1 SM product it was a shampoo. and i loved it. and Aussie 3MM is great i have used it before. Its a good quick hold, but nothing lasting ive realized for my hair.

Synester
November 3rd, 2017, 10:44 PM
I havent deeply clarified in awhile, and im currently all out of aloe or honey or any of my favorite oils for a good SMT. I need to get a good clarifying shampoo too. Lets just say my bathroom consists of 2 things and nothing else. all my hair stocks are mega depleted. and thanks for noting that the SM intense moisture line is protein free! ill have to see for myself which others are free as well. But i dont mind a little bit here and there. Helps keep my fragile hair strong.

Bambi
November 4th, 2017, 01:36 AM
I really enjoy the Mythic olive hair mask from Garnier (Respons/Ultra blends/Ultra Doux), makes my hair sooo soft and deeply conditioned.

My absolute favourite (and guilty pleasure ) is Kerastase Nutritive Masqueintense for fine hair. It’s absolutely amazing! It contains protein but I always get great results when using it😊.

Natashap
November 4th, 2017, 02:14 AM
Mineral oil ,I know sounds crazy and scalp will never absorb it but have dermatitis and have to apply vaseline on face at times.To avoid a flare up will keep on applying for tangles issues and keeping scalp happy by baby oil.
ALLERGIC to lots of stuff.

Dark40
November 4th, 2017, 08:29 PM
I love the Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser Line, and my favorite moisturizing oils are Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer and Amla Dubar Indian Hair Oil.

Synester
November 5th, 2017, 12:43 AM
Ive heard lovely things about Amla. I always want to get into Ayurveda hair care but i dont want to use henna or cassia due to color from the process. henna being redish? and cassia being a golden yellow tone. i love my super ashy cool toned hair. And garnier has citrus in it right? my hair never seemed a fan of it for that reason i think...(that was years ago though)

Ophidian
November 5th, 2017, 08:17 AM
If you are interested in herbal hair care but don't want to risk any color changes, a marshmallow rinse might be worth a try regardless of whatever other products you're using. It is a film-forming humectant, meaning in a nutshell that it slows the loss of moisture from your strands. Other herbs like fenugreek, slippery elm, and aloe do this as well, but I mention marshmallow because it's relatively easy to find and has a pretty neutral scent. There is a recent thread started by Arete titled something like "Holy Grail Detangler" that has more info on how to prepare and use it. Sciency Hairblog has a comprehensive explanation of what film-forming humectants are and what they do here, if you're interested:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/film-forming-humectants-what-they-are.html
In tandem with other moisturizing treatments/products, experimenting with something like this might help you keep your hair moisturized between washes without weighing it down.

I also like honey a lot--either mixed in with conditioner or an ACV or herbal rinse. You mentioned having used this before though.

I also find that damp braiding/bunning after washing really makes a difference for me. I towel plop until excess water is absorbed, let it air dry to damp while doing a sort of LOC on my ends (water from washing is the leave-in, then oil, then a Nightblooming hair salve though sometimes I just oil and call it a day), then loosely braid or bun. After a while (usually next day) I'll take it down and let it dry the rest of the way. For some reason this really seems to lock in the moisture for me. I'm sure there's a good explanation as to why, I'm just not sure what it is :).

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you!

ETA: To address your question about oiling--oils themselves are not moisturizers, but can help retain moisture in the strands after washing or another treatment, and also can increase flexibility and reduce "snappiness." I personally use coconut oil a lot, but which oil works best is very individual. I lightly oil my ends (which tend to be dry) every evening. If they feel particularly dry I will wet them (you could use some diluted conditioner here) and then seal with a light oiling between washes. There are several threads around on different oils and oiling methods if you are curious, though they all boil down at some point to "try it and see how it works for you."

lapushka
November 5th, 2017, 08:48 AM
It might be a change in products that is needed, but it might also be a change in routine.

For instance, I use rinse-out oil and the LOC/LCO method for styling after washing (both links are in my signature), and it leaves my hair super-super soft. I love this, especially in winter time.

Ophidian
November 5th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Oh yes, I'd second the ROO suggestion--I don't do it all the time but when I do my hair always feels very hydrated. Agree too that in my experience anyway it's often not the products that you use as much as the way that you use them.

Dark40
November 5th, 2017, 04:28 PM
Ive heard lovely things about Amla. I always want to get into Ayurveda hair care but i dont want to use henna or cassia due to color from the process. henna being redish? and cassia being a golden yellow tone. i love my super ashy cool toned hair. And garnier has citrus in it right? my hair never seemed a fan of it for that reason i think...(that was years ago though)

Yes, I also love getting into Ayurveda hair care or Indian hair care too! Oh, I can't use henna on my chemically relaxed hair. When you use any type of relaxer product on your hair henna cannot be used for coloring. I have to use a rinse from the box or a drugstore rinse. I love my medium red hair. It usually lasts up to a good 3 montths! Even though I have 2 inches of roots growing out. Yeah, garnier does have citrus in it. My hair loves it. Awwww, that's a shame that years ago your hair didn't love it. The damage eraser is wonderful!

marvel-lover
November 5th, 2017, 04:46 PM
I've been seriously considering the ROO method. However, what works best for me is the LCO method, and I love shea moisture for that. It's lovely! I use Loreal Extraordinary Oil serum as my silicone, and I think it makes a huge difference in my hair. I also use a mixture of Rosemary EO, jojoba oil and argan oil on my hair. I put a little in each night after the fourth day as I detangle my hair. I love VO5 for my spray bottle and my SMTs, and I try to do a SMT at least once a month during the winter months. Good luck!

lapushka
November 6th, 2017, 04:48 AM
I've been seriously considering the ROO method. However, what works best for me is the LCO method, and I love shea moisture for that. It's lovely! I use Loreal Extraordinary Oil serum as my silicone, and I think it makes a huge difference in my hair. I also use a mixture of Rosemary EO, jojoba oil and argan oil on my hair. I put a little in each night after the fourth day as I detangle my hair. I love VO5 for my spray bottle and my SMTs, and I try to do a SMT at least once a month during the winter months. Good luck!

If so, clarify your lengths before and after you do it, to see what it's like and if you like it. If I do more ROO, I still interchange length washing with no length washing, but for me ROO isn't too much.

I also urge you, should you do it, to get the tiniest bit of oil, like a small puddle, or about 10 drops and use that on your very ends only (I do last 3 to 4 inches). That's how I do it, and it works for me.

Synester
November 6th, 2017, 12:51 PM
lots of great info with the past few posts thank everyone! and my hair is super super fine and lightweight and kinda thinning putting leave on oils makes it look heavy. i always try and do small amounts but it never works out right for my hair. i will keep trying though, maybe i just havent found my right oil or right leave in conditioner because everything is heavy I have heard of marshmallow root being great for detangling, and trust me i have some awful tangles so i will have to get my hands on some to make a tea out of it to rinse with.

As for how i dry my hair, i usually put it in a old soft cotton t-shirt and let it sit for awhile. then detangle it when its damp but not soaking wet. When i let my hair air dry all the way it gets super poofy and awful looking. not sleek at all. my hair strands stick out everywhere and look awful. so i blow dry it to lay them down. i wish i liked how my hair dried on its own. but i dont at all.
Annd maybe i will try garnier again, maybe my hair will like it this time around/
(i have to go look at what all the abbreviations mean. I forget all the time lol)

Synester
November 6th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Also my hair dries VERY fast, like very very fast i just washed after 3 days and let my hair air dry. i have a little fan in my room and within 35-1 hour my hair is pretty much dry. Which is nice, but at the same time that means its lacking lots of moisture right?

lapushka
November 6th, 2017, 12:54 PM
lots of great info with the past few posts thank everyone! and my hair is super super fine and lightweight and kinda thinning putting leave on oils makes it look heavy. i always try and do small amounts but it never works out right for my hair. i will keep trying though, maybe i just havent found my right oil or right leave in conditioner because everything is heavy I have heard of marshmallow root being great for detangling, and trust me i have some awful tangles so i will have to get my hands on some to make a tea out of it to rinse with.

As for how i dry my hair, i usually put it in a old soft cotton t-shirt and let it sit for awhile. then detangle it when its damp but not soaking wet. When i let my hair air dry all the way it gets super poofy and awful looking. not sleek at all. my hair strands stick out everywhere and look awful. so i blow dry it to lay them down. i wish i liked how my hair dried on its own. but i dont at all.
Annd maybe i will try garnier again, maybe my hair will like it this time around/
(i have to go look at what all the abbreviations mean. I forget all the time lol)

There's a post on the board somewhere that explains them, but if you follow the links (;)) it should become clear also.

poli
November 6th, 2017, 02:29 PM
my hair is super super fine and lightweight

In that case I would only use oils pre wash, this way they wont weight down your hair too much. And also flax seed gel is great leave-in if regular products are too heavy.

Ophidian
November 6th, 2017, 03:32 PM

Is your hair long enough for you to french braid or damp bun? My hair dries wonky too if I just let it air dry all the way loose but if I do either one of those it dries much smoother without the need for heat. Not that blow drying is evil in moderation or anything, but if you are looking to reduce heat then I would give damp bunning/braiding a try for sure. It's not for everyone but I'm waaaay happier with my hair if I don't leave it down until completely dry.

Dark40
November 6th, 2017, 04:31 PM

You're welcome for the info!:) For detangling have you tried Mane N Tail Detangler? That's what me and my mom use, and it's also excellent for your ends as well!!! It's excellent to prevent split ends.

Cheniaa
November 6th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Does anyone else find that leave ins help more with moisture than deep treatments? In the past, whenever I tried a deep treatment or conditioner my hair felt relatively the same, but as soon as I got my leave in routine on point? BAM my hair felt super soft! Not saying this is necessarily the case with you OP, or that you should ignore deep conditioners altogether but for what it's worth check out the LOC thread and you may see great benefits as well.

Synester
November 6th, 2017, 06:20 PM
I only use oils before i wash. I will Soak my head heavily in a mixture of oils and leave it for several hours of the day or i put it in at night and put a shower cap on and sleep in it then wash out in the morning and my hair is always very grateful when i do those

Synester
November 6th, 2017, 06:22 PM
You're welcome for the info!:) For detangling have you tried Mane N Tail Detangler? That's what me and my mom use, and it's also excellent for your ends as well!!! It's excellent to prevent split ends.

I have used the Mane and Tail detangler. i didnt love it that much. and i used it till the very last drop. But ive heard such amazing things and i kept thinking "is there something wrong with my product" ill have to try it again. that was in 2015. i love their shampoo and conditioner.

Synester
November 6th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Does anyone else find that leave ins help more with moisture than deep treatments? In the past, whenever I tried a deep treatment or conditioner my hair felt relatively the same, but as soon as I got my leave in routine on point? BAM my hair felt super soft! Not saying this is necessarily the case with you OP, or that you should ignore deep conditioners altogether but for what it's worth check out the LOC thread and you may see great benefits as well.

I need to find my holy grail leave in cond. I use oil and masks but no leave ins afterwards. I have o check out that thread because im sure my hair would love that. I used a paul mitchel one for awhile. didnt notic any difference. Thhat thing wasnt cheap either. it made brushing my hair easier so i liked that..but once it dried it felt no different

Dark40
November 6th, 2017, 08:08 PM
I have used the Mane and Tail detangler. i didnt love it that much. and i used it till the very last drop. But ive heard such amazing things and i kept thinking "is there something wrong with my product" ill have to try it again. that was in 2015. i love their shampoo and conditioner.

Ok. Yeah, it might be your brand of shampoo and conditioner that you are using. I've tried the Mane and Tail detangler on my thick frizzy hair as a leave-in, and I blow=dried my hair 6 hours after letting it air-dry, and my hair was very happy! Yeah, I would definitely try it again. My mom uses it on her thick course hair, and she loves it. She suffers with tangles during every wash but the Mane and Tail helps her out tremendously. Yes, I also love their shampoo and conditioner too.

Dark40
November 6th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Synester, I know an excellent leave-in conditioner you can try that will give your hair lots of moisture. It is called, "Isoplus Wrap Lotion." It's also a leave-in and blow-drying conditioner as well. It also gives your hair lots of shine as well!! You can get it anyone of your local beauty supply stores.

Jo Ann
November 6th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Synester, do you have a Sally's Beauty Supply close by? http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Default-Start

(http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Default-Start)Doesn't hurt to check it out.

leayellena
November 6th, 2017, 11:28 PM
cien and balea are great moisturizing products for me.

lapushka
November 7th, 2017, 04:59 AM
cien and balea are great moisturizing products for me.

Unfortunately kind of hard to get in the US, but I'm glad they work for you. I love Cien products myself. We can't get Balea in Belgium either. ;)

Rehab350
November 7th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Herbal essences hello hydration both shampoo and conditioner are amazing. Loreal anti frizz serum is great as well.

lapushka
November 7th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Herbal essences hello hydration both shampoo and conditioner are amazing. Loreal anti frizz serum is great as well.

I love my HE HH conditioner! Love it to bits. I am now using other stuff up, though, but as a second conditioner in WCC (my washing method), I *love* it! It is my HG conditioner!

Synester
November 7th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Synester, I know an excellent leave-in conditioner you can try that will give your hair lots of moisture. It is called, "Isoplus Wrap Lotion." It's also a leave-in and blow-drying conditioner as well. It also gives your hair lots of shine as well!! You can get it anyone of your local beauty supply stores.

WILL DEF. CHECK OUT THANKYOU. sounds wonderful for all my needs

Synester
November 7th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Synester, do you have a Sally's Beauty Supply close by? http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Default-Start

(http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Default-Start)Doesn't hurt to check it out.
I do have one pretty close by! i live near a ULTA as well. I will check both.

girlwithsixarms
November 7th, 2017, 01:28 PM
I've been finding that Nightblooming's salves are very helpful for making the ends of my hair feel less like barbed wire.

ShilvaA
November 7th, 2017, 02:17 PM
My hair absolutely loves the Elvive extraordinary oil, miracle hair perfector.

Its really reasonally priced, smells lovely, makes my hair feel wonderful without making me feel like a greaseball.

Can’t get enough of that stuff! :D

marvel-lover
November 7th, 2017, 02:38 PM
If so, clarify your lengths before and after you do it, to see what it's like and if you like it. If I do more ROO, I still interchange length washing with no length washing, but for me ROO isn't too much.

I also urge you, should you do it, to get the tiniest bit of oil, like a small puddle, or about 10 drops and use that on your very ends only (I do last 3 to 4 inches). That's how I do it, and it works for me.

Awesome! Thanks Lapushka!

lapushka
November 7th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Awesome! Thanks Lapushka!

Hope it goes well. Keep me posted in the ROO thread (the link is in my signature). :thumbsup:

Dark40
November 8th, 2017, 03:55 PM
WILL DEF. CHECK OUT THANKYOU. sounds wonderful for all my needs

OK. YOU'RE WELCOME. I think you will really like it. It not only moisturizes your hair it also gives your hair lots of shine as well. I think it's also excellent for detangling too, and it also has a nice slip as well

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 8th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Another vote for Nightbloomings hair salve! 14$ gets you 2oz of product but its really a lot of product imo, tho this winter i am using a lot more!

Synester
November 8th, 2017, 08:17 PM
I Favorited their etsy shop and ill try and buy some hair salve sometime soon! seems good. love that its homemade.

Dark40
November 9th, 2017, 05:31 PM
I do have one pretty close by! i live near a ULTA as well. I will check both.

Hey Synester, the only beauty places that will have it is at anyone of your local beauty supply stores. Like, Beauty And Beyond." Or, you can get it online at www.amazon.com.

Synester
November 10th, 2017, 08:13 PM
oh ill order on amazon if anything i got HelloHydration shampoo and conditioner and Aussie 3MM. My hair has been happier since the past 2 washes. I just need some major moisture TLC

Jo Ann
November 10th, 2017, 08:37 PM
That is FANTASTIC, Synester!

Great to hear you and your hair is back on the Road to Happiness!

Dark40
November 17th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Synester, I'm glad that your hair is much happier with the products you are using! Whenever I feel that my hair needs a little moisture boost I use the Aussie Mega Moist Shampoo and Conditioner. My hair is very happy with those products!!! I love those products!!!

SallySue
November 19th, 2017, 05:51 PM
I'm loving all the moisturizing suggestions in this thread!

This is slightly off-topic, but I have a suggestion for the OP:

You may have more success with air-drying your hair if you detangle it during a different stage. For example, here's my routine with my fine/thin/wavy hair: detangle while I'm conditioning in the shower. Towel dry briefly, being careful not to rake it or separate the strands too much. Apply a gel or cream product. Don't handle it at all while it is drying, except maybe to smooth more product on the top layer if it's humid. Touching and combing waves at all while they are drying causes frizz. You might be able to skip the blow dryer if you find this works for you.

Synester
November 19th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Hmm what kind of product should I lay ontop while its drying, Ive found if i dont detangle my hair before its dry it dries into a big knot that I have to untangle eventually anyways. I think its so poofy and awful because my hair is so fine, it isnt weighted so it doesnt lay down right. It drives me crazy. I only get that super smooth sleek satisfaction when i blow dry it down. But i will keep that in mind. To not separate the strands too much.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 19th, 2017, 11:45 PM
Hmm what kind of product should I lay ontop while its drying, Ive found if i dont detangle my hair before its dry it dries into a big knot that I have to untangle eventually anyways. I think its so poofy and awful because my hair is so fine, it isnt weighted so it doesnt lay down right. It drives me crazy. I only get that super smooth sleek satisfaction when i blow dry it down. But i will keep that in mind. To not separate the strands too much.

The issue with using heat, can sometimes be we need more of it because we use it.
When I was using heat, to dry and straighten my hair, my hair needed it in order to look good.
But it was because it was damaged. Fine hair is even more prone to damage when it comes to heat.
Are you using the cool setting? I know you want sleek hair but it might be about time to give it a rest!
Only just for a little while until (what sounds like me is heat damage) everything is settled down and grown a bit out more.

Personally for me, not using heat and moisturizing my curls and waves... and not working against MY NATURAL PATTERN, accepting every poofy frizzing day.. even if that means hair laying in ways I do not like. And it really made a world of difference because now my hair is grown out, I havent touched heat in 5 years and I live somewhere VERY cold!! lol

lapushka
November 22nd, 2017, 06:33 AM
I'm loving all the moisturizing suggestions in this thread!

This is slightly off-topic, but I have a suggestion for the OP:

You may have more success with air-drying your hair if you detangle it during a different stage. For example, here's my routine with my fine/thin/wavy hair: detangle while I'm conditioning in the shower. Towel dry briefly, being careful not to rake it or separate the strands too much. Apply a gel or cream product. Don't handle it at all while it is drying, except maybe to smooth more product on the top layer if it's humid. Touching and combing waves at all while they are drying causes frizz. You might be able to skip the blow dryer if you find this works for you.

I pretty much do this, except I detangle one last time after my hair comes out of the towel, and right before styling. I still need to diffuse. Air drying time has little to do with how you style your hair, I don't think.

If you towel dry for a longer time, that may help with air drying. I toweldry for 30 min., then airdry for 2-4H and then I still need to diffuse for about 5 min. or my roots just don't get dry until after 8+H.

A lot also has to do with the thickness of the hair.

lapushka
November 22nd, 2017, 06:35 AM

I towel dry for 30 min. then I detangle, when it's damp, and right before I style my hair with the LOC/LCO method. You could only use a leave-in instead though... and then leave it to dry.

ghanima
November 22nd, 2017, 07:21 AM
Have you tried cold water? I don't rinse the hair with cold water in the shower because I'm a coward. But after, what I do is put some conditioner then swish it with added cold water, on the sink. This is super-moisturizing, and the cold makes the hair shiny and sleek, because it closes the shaft. After, I add gel but you wouldn't need it with your texture.
Also, for moisturizing, I keep the conditioner on for 30 min, as if it was a DT. I wash once a week. My hair were incredibly dry and this plus SMT have really changed the game.

lapushka
November 22nd, 2017, 08:36 AM
Have you tried cold water? I don't rinse the hair with cold water in the shower because I'm a coward. But after, what I do is put some conditioner then swish it with added cold water, on the sink. This is super-moisturizing, and the cold makes the hair shiny and sleek, because it closes the shaft. After, I add gel but you wouldn't need it with your texture.
Also, for moisturizing, I keep the conditioner on for 30 min, as if it was a DT. I wash once a week. My hair were incredibly dry and this plus SMT have really changed the game.

I think that might be personal too, because no matter what... cold water never worked for me. No acid rinses, vinegar rinses, tea rinses, or cold water. I know... I just have to have good stylers and I manage with that.

Jo Ann
November 22nd, 2017, 12:23 PM

A hand-held shower is very handy for that! No need to get the rest of you chilled--just bend over at the waist and direct the shower head on your hair.

It also comes in handy when washing children and dogs :p

ghanima
November 22nd, 2017, 01:58 PM
Lol you're right, I still like the thing I described of cupping my hands then fill them with water and swish the hair and conditioner. It's explained at 4.00 in this youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdi4apxYdrk). My shower doesn't have that lower tap so, the sink it is!

ghanima
November 22nd, 2017, 01:59 PM
I think that might be personal too, because no matter what... cold water never worked for me. No acid rinses, vinegar rinses, tea rinses, or cold water. I know... I just have to have good stylers and I manage with that.

Me too I would get nowhere without the stylers, the cold water is one of the 1000 maneuvers, ha ha!

Jo Ann
November 22nd, 2017, 02:13 PM
Lol you're right, I still like the thing I described of cupping my hands then fill them with water and swish the hair and conditioner. It's explained at 4.00 in this youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdi4apxYdrk). My shower doesn't have that lower tap so, the sink it is!
You can get one that fits over the faucet, too!

ghanima
November 22nd, 2017, 02:28 PM
Deal then, as long as it doesn't trickle down the spine I'm in... brrr just the thought.....

yamsha23
November 22nd, 2017, 03:17 PM
Two words: Marshmallow root!
and also honey
with aloe
And favorite conditioner :Earthly Delights

SallySue
December 7th, 2017, 06:44 PM

To answer your question, the type of product all depends on your hair type and the look you're going for. I'm basing this off where it says you have 1c, which indicates some potential natural waves you can capitalize on to create body and make your hair actually seem fuller. For light waves in fine hair, I personally have the most success with a curling gel or a volumizing mousse. There are zillions on the market... and they don't have to be expensive; pick up a $5 product from the drugstore and give it a try. Lightly scrunch it after it's mostly dry to get rid of that awful wet, crunchy look.

SallySue
December 7th, 2017, 06:48 PM
To answer your question, the type of product all depends on your hair type and the look you're going for. I'm basing this off where it says you have 1c, which indicates some potential natural waves you can capitalize on to create body and make your hair actually seem fuller. For light waves in fine hair, I personally have the most success with a curling gel or a volumizing mousse. There are zillions on the market... and they don't have to be expensive; pick up a $5 product from the drugstore and give it a try. Lightly scrunch it after it's mostly dry to get rid of that awful wet, crunchy look.

Alternately, a hair serum can be good for a sleek, straight look. The Fructis Sleek & Shine is a popular one that smells yummy.

RottenMango
April 26th, 2019, 10:26 AM
Anything by Garnier, Herbal Essences or Suave imparts significant moisture to my hair.

LoveHeart33
April 26th, 2019, 01:50 PM
I've had similar issues with my hair needing alot more moisturizing. I recently purchased a shower filter because I'm on well water that's very hard. Already I've noticed a change in my hair, my scalp was even dry and flaky and that's all gone now. The dryness could have to do with your water source... I got my shower filter online from Pelican.

LoveHeart33
April 26th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Oops I also meant to mention a moisturizing shampoo I just started using - Morrocco Method. It's a mud based shampoo that you just dilute with water to make it more spreadable (it doesn't lather) and it's really moisturizing! :)

communicateboun
December 1st, 2023, 04:55 PM
I haven't tried an AMT (linked by vampyyri above), but have heard loads of great stuff about it!

My personal favorite deep conditioner is L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture. It's thick but not "can't spread it in my hair" thick, smells so good, and my hair is always so silky smooth after I've used it. Your classifier lists you as having fine hair, which I don't have, but my roommate/best friend does have fine hair and has used the NTMM for several years now (originally stealing mine when I was regularly bleaching and dyeing my hair purple and pink) and it hasn't overloaded her hair. I do think she uses about the same amount I do, even though she has much more hair than I do (length and number of strands, although we learned recently that technically my hair is a couple mm thicker in the pony circ!). So if you do go this route, start out more sparingly and use the bare minimum to coat your hair.

I also use regular conditioners for dry hair when I wash, because I prefer them lol. Another thing to try out, IMO!

I am very close to completely giving up on shampooing my hair. I just cannot seem to find a shampoo that does not strip or leave my hair tangled,knotted and matted. I had a tiny set back on my last wash day, due to using a very popular shampoo that claimed to be moisturizing. The moment it touched my strands, my hair matted. I had to cut in-between the matted hair-- now I have short strands within the longer strands in my crown area. I am just thankful that it was only a section and not my entire head. The shampoo shall remain nameless, but it is a cult favorite on youtube. With that being said, what are your favorite moisturizing and non stripping shampoos/cleansers?

communicateboun
December 1st, 2023, 04:56 PM
I am very close to completely giving up on shampooing my hair. I just cannot seem to find a shampoo that does not strip or leave my hair tangled,knotted and matted. I had a tiny set back on my last wash day, due to using a very popular shampoo that claimed to be moisturizing. The moment it touched my strands, my hair matted. I had to cut in-between the matted hair-- now I have short strands within the longer strands in my crown area dreadlock products (https://lionlocs.com/collections/dreadlock-products). I am just thankful that it was only a section and not my entire head. The shampoo shall remain nameless, but it is a cult favorite on youtube. With that being said, what are your favorite moisturizing and nonstripping shampoos/cleansers?
appreciate any help with this.

Ylva
December 19th, 2023, 07:01 AM
I am very close to completely giving up on shampooing my hair. I just cannot seem to find a shampoo that does not strip or leave my hair tangled,knotted and matted. I had a tiny set back on my last wash day, due to using a very popular shampoo that claimed to be moisturizing. The moment it touched my strands, my hair matted. I had to cut in-between the matted hair-- now I have short strands within the longer strands in my crown area. I am just thankful that it was only a section and not my entire head. The shampoo shall remain nameless, but it is a cult favorite on youtube. With that being said, what are your favorite moisturizing and non stripping shampoos/cleansers?

Naming the shampoo would be useful so we could have a look at the ingredients and try to figure out what your hair might not like.