PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on growing out an angled bob..?

racheldelrey
November 2nd, 2017, 08:18 PM
My longest point is about half an inch below my collar bone and I plan on doing micro trims until it is all evened up. But I was wondering if you guys think I should get some layers put in it. My hair is 1c/fm (did I do that right? haha) and I lost a lot of thickness when I combed my dreadlocks out. I'm thinking the layers would help get rid of any damage I still have, and potentially make it look a little bit longer. What do you guys think? Im so afraid it will end up looking shorter! Because, yes, my need for length has become an unhealthy obsession lol =(

czech it out
November 2nd, 2017, 08:25 PM
I've heard a few people say that the hair on the back of their heads grows a little faster than the sides. So maybe it will even out on its own?
Personally, I wouldn't go for layers. That's just my preference, because they make it harder to do styles once you get to an updo/braiding length. If anything, I would just even up the length gradually as you trim.

racheldelrey
November 2nd, 2017, 08:28 PM
I've heard a few people say that the hair on the back of their heads grows a little faster than the sides. So maybe it will even out on its own?
Personally, I wouldn't go for layers. That's just my preference, because they make it harder to do styles once you get to an updo/braiding length. If anything, I would just even up the length gradually as you trim.

I had never heard that before! But it makes sense, seeing as how it's started to look a lot less like an angled bob and more like a bad haircut!

Thanks for your opinion. The layers making it harder to style hadn't crossed my mind!

Obsidian
November 2nd, 2017, 08:31 PM
I'm a big fan of layers but it would make your hair quite a lot shorter since the very back is generally the longest area with layers. I'd just slowly trim out the angled bits until you have more of a classic bob.

Jo Ann
November 2nd, 2017, 08:38 PM
I'd be more inclined to just let it grow for, say, six months or so, THEN do a teeny-weeny trim. Get some length before determining what else you want to do with it.

Then again, I'm one of those people who rarely (if ever) went back for "trims" to maintain or transition a hairstyle--I'd just get it cut then let it grow out.

racheldelrey
November 2nd, 2017, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the opinions and advice, friends! I think I will listen to you all and hold off on the layers for now. =)

spidermom
November 3rd, 2017, 09:47 AM
You didn't fill out the part of your profile that tells us how thick your hair is. With iii thickness, I prefer some layers, otherwise my hair fluffs out at the bottom and gives a pyramid silhouette. Also it gets heavy. I don't find styling more difficult; I look for layer-friendly styles.

P.S: My thickness says ii currently, but that was after a massive shed. I think I'm probably back to iii now but can't figure out how to edit my profile.

Chromis
November 3rd, 2017, 10:37 AM
I am anti-layer. They often create more damage since many places like to razor them in.

When I grew my hair hair out, I just let it grow and kept trimming the back up until it was even. Mine was from a shave rather than your bob, but that has similar issues with trying to grow out spots that take longer to catch up. If you want the very fastest method, that would be just to leave it be, but that might present some styling issues :lol:

My advice is to do as little cutting as you can until it is long enough to put up. Then put it up! Then start trimming out the damage. I pretty much lost all of that initial growth even without any heat or bleach damage just from rough handling and weathering. On the bright side, it doesn't take most people too long to get to the stage where they can put it up initially into at least a peacock twist. You are probably looking at about a year to have grown and trimmed enough that you have completely fresh hair that is still long enough to put up :)

lapushka
November 3rd, 2017, 11:44 AM
I love my layers, but my hair is iii in thickness, so I can use the layers, trust me. If your hair is naturally thin, then I wouldn't go there! You didn't mention anything about the thickness (you measure your ponytail circumference for that).

Corvana
November 3rd, 2017, 02:14 PM
I'm a thick ii (9.1cm pony circ), and I only like to have few, long layers. Like, max 2 (so the main body, a layer, and a layer), and the shortest is still long (like maybe 3" shorter than the main body). Partly because with so few layers the braid shred is less and you still get the thin ends bonus with buns, but also partly because even though I've got a good amount of hair any more than that starts to make my hair look thin. I don't think it helps that it's rather straight, which gives the illusion of being thinner due to it having less volume than wavy hair.

So unless you've got left 4"+ (10cm+) of hair, I wouldn't personally advise layers if you don't want your hair to look thin. If you think you lost some thickness already, then that adds to my (again personal) checklist of "no layers".

Chiquita Banana
November 3rd, 2017, 04:58 PM
Like others have said, layers might work well for thick hair. My strands are very fine so layers in my hair are just awful. I did it once when my hair was much shorter than it is now and instantly regretted it. It's all one length now and I love it. Another consideration is that if you plan to braid your hair a lot, beware that little wisps will stick out if you have layers.

racheldelrey
November 3rd, 2017, 08:30 PM
Wow, you guys sound like professionals! I'm excited to learn from you all.

I apologize for leaving out the information on my thickness! My guess is it's currently I, but I'm laying in bed and can't measure right now. It's never been overly thick, but was definitely thickening up before the dreads.

And thankfully it's long enough to go in a ponytail so I guess the plan is to keep it pulled back for the next few months! Now, as fair as hsir bands, what do I want to look for and avoid? The ones I have now were cheap but they don't have metal and claim to be "ouchless".

queenbee1
November 4th, 2017, 08:11 AM
I'd suggest you to join the no trimming thread. My friend wanted to grow out her angle bob but kept on cutting it to even it out and now she's still collar bone length after a year while I grew from APL to waist in a year (we're both pretty short), and I have to credit the no trimming 2017 thread for that :). Personally I'd benign neglect My hair for at least 6 months. And yes, it is going to be hard to do. But it is going to be worth it.

2gaits
November 4th, 2017, 03:23 PM
I had an angled bob. It was a pain to grow out and I finally couldn't stand it and told the hairdresser it had to go. At that point I was so done with it I didn't care what she did. I ended up with layers. Plus is over about eight months it has grown in well and I never really had a bad cut to live through. At this point mine is past shoulder, layered some and I can just let it grow. The downside is with shorter layers it is tough to pull it up, braid etc. I am just now to the point I can put it up. If I had to do it over I might just keep trimming the front and not do layers.

melesine
November 4th, 2017, 03:27 PM
It's personal preference but I hate layers on my hair. I've grown out that style a few times. I just let it grow and at some point I just even it to straight across. I don't bother with micro trimming.

lapushka
November 4th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Wow, you guys sound like professionals! I'm excited to learn from you all.

I apologize for leaving out the information on my thickness! My guess is it's currently I, but I'm laying in bed and can't measure right now. It's never been overly thick, but was definitely thickening up before the dreads.

And thankfully it's long enough to go in a ponytail so I guess the plan is to keep it pulled back for the next few months! Now, as fair as hsir bands, what do I want to look for and avoid? The ones I have now were cheap but they don't have metal and claim to be "ouchless".

If it's i, then I'd for sure skip the layers! :)

Good luck growing it out. :flower:

Stray_mind
November 5th, 2017, 01:45 AM
Layers can sure be a pain when growing out short lenghts. I am growing out a heavily layered bob and if not for those layers i'd already be able to put my hair in a tiny ponytail..

However trying to even out my hair every month would definitely stop it from growing past chin for at least a year. I'll wait at least until my longest layers are past APL and then cut back a bit.

Layers often stick out of braids and buns too unless you put a ton of hair pins in there.

I would advise against it. Just be patient until you can put yout hair up and forget about it