PDA

View Full Version : Masks with expired oil

CreatureBailey
November 2nd, 2017, 06:13 PM
So what would happen if I made a hair mask with avocado oil that is expired since 2015? Is the oil as good for hair? Is it dangerous?

Shorty89
November 2nd, 2017, 06:14 PM
I don't think it would be dangerous but it might smell awful!

Robi-Bird
November 2nd, 2017, 07:02 PM
If the oil has gone rancid it will smell vile, and your hair will in turn smell vile. If it happens to not smell, I see no danger in using it.

hobbitlocks
November 2nd, 2017, 07:04 PM
At least in the US, expiration dates are totally unregulated and don’t necessarily mean much. I’m not sure about other countries, but as long as it smells fine it’s probably ok regardless of expiration. Even if it had gone bad, it’s probably not going to hurt you, but as Shorty89 pointed out, it will probably smell gross.

CreatureBailey
November 2nd, 2017, 09:43 PM
Cool but is it still good for hair?

CreatureBailey
November 2nd, 2017, 10:50 PM
By the way guys, how long do you keep your masks for?

Nini
November 3rd, 2017, 01:39 AM
Yes, it's still good.

Nique1202
November 3rd, 2017, 04:37 AM
If it doesn't look or smell different than it did when you bought it, it's still fine for hair or any other use. A date on a product like an oil is generally not an expiry date, it's a best before date, as in the company can only guarantee that this product will be at its best, its most flavourful, and is not likely to go rancid unless you contaminate it somehow, before that date. It does not mean that you have to throw the thing out after the date passes or that it's unsafe, it just means that if you cook with it then it might not be as flavourful or as full of nutrients, but it's almost certainly still safe to use until it goes rancid.

lapushka
November 3rd, 2017, 06:18 AM
I agree with what's been said before. If it still smells fine and looks fine (consistency), then it should be OK. It's not going to damage your hair if that's what you mean. :)

I have 3 bottles of 500ml Inecto coconut oil shampoo. The shampoo used to be transparent/white. It has now turned a caramel color, but it still washes fine, smells fine and the consistency is fine. I used the first bottle on my hair, and am now using up the second bottle. It's fine!

CreatureBailey
November 3rd, 2017, 10:00 AM
If you wear the mask on for more than 12 hours is it bad for hair?

valkyrie90
November 3rd, 2017, 11:23 AM
If you wear the mask on for more than 12 hours is it bad for hair?

I think it's totally fine . I usually leave my coconut oil in my hair for 4 hours but recently I leave it 10+ hours and it's perfectly fine. However , when my coconut oil goes rancid and I leave it like overnight it makes my hair itchy as hell and smell horrid . Other than that , it still works , makes my hair shiny and all. As long as it doesn't go rancid , it's ok to use.