PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the awkward stage?

ninjarambohd
October 30th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Hi all and Happy Halloween! So on youtube there are many videos on how to deal with the the awkward stage when growing out your hair but I never really understood what the awkward stage is. Can someone please clarify this?

Obsidian
October 30th, 2017, 07:27 PM
There are awkward stages at different lengths but the very first one is growing out from a pixie. Its when the hair is long enough to misbehave but too short to pin back or otherwise contain.
My current hair is a great example. I have to wet it daily and brush it flat to dry or else it does this.
https://i.imgur.com/093RoNc.jpg?2

ninjarambohd
October 30th, 2017, 07:34 PM
There are awkward stages at different lengths but the very first one is growing out from a pixie. Its when the hair is long enough to misbehave but too short to pin back or otherwise contain.
My current hair is a great example. I have to wet it daily and brush it flat to dry or else it does this.
https://i.imgur.com/093RoNc.jpg?2

Ah I see. This makes much more sense now. Thank you. By the way, your hair is absolutely beautiful!

Beeboo123
October 30th, 2017, 07:34 PM
No idea, my hair is always at an awkward, misbehaving stage

JadedByEntropy
October 30th, 2017, 07:37 PM
yep, and the next is the ear-level shag + when do you even up the naturally occurring mullet, then juuust not shoulder level where its super flippy. the other stages are more of what is in the 'youre a long hair when' thread xD

Obsidian
October 30th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah, the flippy stage where all the hair around your face is either in your eyeball or your mouth. I can hardly wait...

Jo Ann
October 30th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Imagine this:

You're getting ready for a date and nothing, NOTHING you do makes your hair do what you WANT it to do:

You want it to lie flat--it flips
You want it to flip--it flops
You want it to lie back--it wants to go forward
You want it to go forward--it wants to go sideways
One side lies beautifully--the other marches to it's own drummer
No amount of gel, mousse, hair spray, water or SuperGlue will hold your hair in place.
Too short to ponytail
Bobby pins get laughed out of your hair
Your bunny slippers run for cover
You end up wearing a hat. Constantly.

You keep in your head the thought that this, too, shall pass...

ninjarambohd
October 31st, 2017, 05:13 AM
Imagine this:

You're getting ready for a date and nothing, NOTHING you do makes your hair do what you WANT it to do:

No amount of gel, mousse, hair spray, water or SuperGlue will hold your hair in place.
Too short to ponytail

Oh I've been there before then. It really is a pain. Thank you for your response!

OhSuzi
October 31st, 2017, 05:45 AM
Jo Ann - "One side lies beautifully--the other marches to it's own drummer"

Always!!! Darned left side!!!!

Nique1202
October 31st, 2017, 06:38 AM
An awkward stage is different for everyone, but basically it's just any time that your hair gets to a point where what you were doing before doesn't work anymore to make it look good, and sometimes there's nothing you can do to make it look good or maybe you just haven't learned the new tricks to make it look good at the new length. That's why a lot of folks run into them with pixie/shaved cuts (the mullet stages) and at about ear length (when hair starts laying flat inconsistently) and past shoulder length (because so many people never have hair that long until they start growing it out actively so they no longer know what to do with it).

Lanalavallama
October 31st, 2017, 06:55 AM
Oh yeah, the flippy stage where all the hair around your face is either in your eyeball or your mouth. I can hardly wait...

:D that comment gave me the best giggles...

lapushka
October 31st, 2017, 08:52 AM
Hi all and Happy Halloween! So on youtube there are many videos on how to deal with the the awkward stage when growing out your hair but I never really understood what the awkward stage is. Can someone please clarify this?

There are many awkward stages from short (buzz) to pixie to shoulder. Once you can get it about "even" at shoulder, the rest is a breeze compared to what you've been through at that point. If it is more wavy/curly, the awkward stages are *far* from over. ;)

Rockin' Gramma
October 31st, 2017, 10:47 AM
Imagine this:

Too short to ponytail

Too funny! Best laugh of the day. Thanks Jo Ann!

spidermom
October 31st, 2017, 05:51 PM
The awkward stage to me is when all the styles you've been doing no longer work, but you haven't figured out anything new that you can do.

Dark40
November 6th, 2017, 05:19 PM
I would say having it in a chin length bob is an awkward stage.

yahirwaO.o
November 6th, 2017, 11:41 PM
You guys have basically described this whole year to me!!!!!!!

I have to say it, thicksih straightish hair doesnīt help either. It was either mushroom helmet hair or 80's rejected member rock new wave band :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I went for the bob hair pad and for the last 2 months my hair finally behaving, half ups of all types, can make baby ponytails and can make a fake look on a big top knot. But damn it is hard somedays and canīt wait for the simplicity yet awesomeness of long hair (in case I crave for blunt cut shoulder lenght) :O