PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for helping sock curls last?

QueenMab
October 29th, 2017, 11:53 AM
I love the idea of sock curls as there's no real damage to your hair involved, but they absolutely Do Not Last in my hair. They're flat within 30 minutes no matter how long I left them in beforehand. I try to avoid any hair spray because it leaves my hair feeling icky and crispy and ideally I'd be able to curl my hair more often than I wash it in a week. Anyone have any tips on how to help the curls stay in better?

Kellylee
October 29th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Maybe a hair moose or a product with hold in damp hair before putting them in.

Chiquita Banana
October 29th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Do you roll them with damp hair? My hair is fine and I usually lose curls quickly unless I roll when still wet. I do this to get braid waves as well. And then it lasts for about 12 hours.

lapushka
October 29th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Stylers like the curl enhancing smoothie, or the frizz-taming smoothie by Shea Moisture. They're the only 2 I have experience with.

You could also try the Eden Bodyworks curl cream, or the Every Strand curl cream (don't put gel with this one it will flake).

You only need a dollop of product, so like a coinsize for TBL to classic is more than enough! If you have shorter hair, use *far* less product!

QueenMab
October 29th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Maybe a hair moose or a product with hold in damp hair before putting them in.

Do you roll them with damp hair? My hair is fine and I usually lose curls quickly unless I roll when still wet. I do this to get braid waves as well. And then it lasts for about 12 hours.

I only curl once hair is dry, I don't like to brush it before it's totally dry and I can't really curl it without brushing it. Thanks, though!

Stylers like the curl enhancing smoothie, or the frizz-taming smoothie by Shea Moisture. They're the only 2 I have experience with.

You could also try the Eden Bodyworks curl cream, or the Every Strand curl cream (don't put gel with this one it will flake).

You only need a dollop of product, so like a coinsize for TBL to classic is more than enough! If you have shorter hair, use *far* less product!

Hmm, I already use shea moisture shampoo and conditioner, so I'll give one of their smoothies a try! Thanks :)

Shorty89
October 30th, 2017, 10:16 AM
I agree that damp hair works better but I sometimes have trouble with it. My hair doesn't like to dry whilr in rag/sock etc curls. It takes days!

Rushli
October 30th, 2017, 10:29 AM
I only curl once hair is dry, I don't like to brush it before it's totally dry and I can't really curl it without brushing it. Thanks, though!
After brushing and sectioning, try spraying your hair with water before wrapping. I've never gotten good result from any no heat method on dry hair.

Another vote for curl enhancing smoothie.

samanthaa
October 30th, 2017, 10:53 AM
I basically let my hair get almost completely dry before putting it into a sock bun. It should only be the tiniest bit damp so that it dries completely. I also find that applying a small amount (teeny amount) of my rinse-out conditioner to my nearly-dry hair before rolling it into the socks helps the curls last.

I usually leave the sock in over night, or at least eight hours. They have to be 100% dry.

My curls will stay all day with this method.

Pigfarts
October 30th, 2017, 06:57 PM
I usually do my sock bun when my hair is dry but I just spray it with water after it's already in the bun. This way it still dries quickly and doesn't tangle, but still lasts a while.