PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D and Hair

ninjarambohd
October 28th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Hey all! I hope you are all doing awesome and getting ready for Halloween! Anyways in your opinions how much of an impact does Vitamin D have on hair? The thing is I am originally from the middle east but now live in Ireland. And though I absolutely love it here the one thing it doesn't have is the Sun. I rarely get the sun. Even in the summer the weather is always cloudy and not too warm at all. So I'm worried if this will have an impact on my hair and I am too scared to take vitamin D supplements due to its side effects I have read about. So what do you all think?

Maple
October 28th, 2017, 07:22 AM
I have been to a doctor due to hair loss last year. She checked some vitamins and noticed a deficiency in vitamin D that she thought could be the reason for the very increased shedding, since everything else was ok. I started taking supplements and soon it got better. I didn't notice side effects although I took a high amount at first for 3 months, then reduced it. I still take vitamin D pills from time to time to keep the level up. I personally wouldn't recommend to take supplements in high amounts or for a long time if it's not proven to be neccessary.

ninjarambohd
October 28th, 2017, 07:41 AM
I have been to a doctor due to hair loss last year. She checked some vitamins and noticed a deficiency in vitamin D that she thought could be the reason for the very increased shedding, since everything else was ok. I started taking supplements and soon it got better. I didn't notice side effects although I took a high amount at first for 3 months, then reduced it. I still take vitamin D pills from time to time to keep the level up. I personally wouldn't recommend to take supplements in high amounts or for a long time if it's not proven to be neccessary.

So there is a link. And apart from high shedding did you notice anything else wrong with your hair?

Garnetgem
October 28th, 2017, 08:38 AM
I am just across the sea from you in n wales and agree the sun is next to none around here..as for vitamin D making a difference i should think it can to an extent for example in summer my hair is so healthy with lots of growth but come winter then i can experience shedding i assume its lack of sun therefore lack of vitamin D..i have been considering to take supplements myself to be honest...

Obsidian
October 28th, 2017, 08:51 AM
I've been on a high dose of vitamin D (4000 UI) on doctors order for about 4 years now and I've not experienced any side effects. I do get my levels checked every 6 months. I wasn't into hair care when I first got on it so I don't know if anything changed but I got lazy about taking it this year and experienced a bad shed.

While a "normal" dose of vitamin D won't hurt, it might not help you either if you are really low. Best to have your levels checked so you know where to start.

lapushka
October 28th, 2017, 09:17 AM
If you're worried, please go see a doctor, and don't just supplement because you "think" you need it. That is not the way to go about it. :flower: I get my blood tested yearly (due to medications and such), and it's worth it, trust me.

ninjarambohd
October 28th, 2017, 09:26 AM
If you're worried, please go see a doctor, and don't just supplement because you "think" you need it. That is not the way to go about it. :flower: I get my blood tested yearly (due to medications and such), and it's worth it, trust me.

Hello again Lapushka! I will have to actually start doing that. The honest truth is I've never given a blood test before and well I'm a bit scared of needles 😁 😁

YumiYume
October 28th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Hello again Lapushka! I will have to actually start doing that. The honest truth is I've never given a blood test before and well I'm a bit scared of needles �� ��

Im scared of needles to, but two pregnancies in two years it was a loooot of blodtests (superlow on iron, even supliments wasnt good enough) it will be fine :) look away and its over before you know it ^^

Vitamin d is bad to overdose, but it is important to get enough. New studies in sweeden shows that we get so little from the sun that a female should get extra 2000ie and thats a lot more than official recomend. (This is from a doctor i trust) So seeing a doctor and doing a vitamin åcheckup is a goood idea :) goodluck :)

ninjarambohd
October 28th, 2017, 11:39 AM
Im scared of needles to, but two pregnancies in two years it was a loooot of blodtests (superlow on iron, even supliments wasnt good enough) it will be fine :) look away and its over before you know it ^^

Vitamin d is bad to overdose, but it is important to get enough. New studies in sweeden shows that we get so little from the sun that a female should get extra 2000ie and thats a lot more than official recomend. (This is from a doctor i trust) So seeing a doctor and doing a vitamin åcheckup is a goood idea :) goodluck :)

I will definately have to go to my local GP here and have him do that for me. Thank you again.

ninjarambohd
October 28th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I am just across the sea from you in n wales and agree the sun is next to none around here..as for vitamin D making a difference i should think it can to an extent for example in summer my hair is so healthy with lots of growth but come winter then i can experience shedding i assume its lack of sun therefore lack of vitamin D..i have been considering to take supplements myself to be honest...

Exactly. I really wish we could get the sun people get in the middle east or spain. I was in Dubai last year and I felt so much better and healthier. Now that I think about it, it could be because of the sun.

lapushka
October 28th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Hello again Lapushka! I will have to actually start doing that. The honest truth is I've never given a blood test before and well I'm a bit scared of needles �� ��

It's just a tiny little pinprick in your arm, and you can generally choose which arm they prick. It's nothing to be scared of, promise! :) :flower:

Besides getting it done once in (however long?) isn't a bad idea at all. And that way your mind is at ease! There's a lot they can see in your blood in just a general test.

I myself take a multivitamin, and calcium + vitamin D3 for health reasons, so not just because I feel I need it. The vitamin D3 helps the calcium absorb better. If you are short, ask your doctor about a supplement + D3 as those are the best to get.

Oh I forget, you didn't ask about calcium. Duh. :rolleyes: :lol:

ninjarambohd
October 28th, 2017, 06:54 PM
It's just a tiny little pinprick in your arm, and you can generally choose which arm they prick. It's nothing to be scared of, promise! :) :flower:

Besides getting it done once in (however long?) isn't a bad idea at all. And that way your mind is at ease! There's a lot they can see in your blood in just a general test.

I myself take a multivitamin, and calcium + vitamin D3 for health reasons, so not just because I feel I need it. The vitamin D3 helps the calcium absorb better. If you are short, ask your doctor about a supplement + D3 as those are the best to get.

Oh I forget, you didn't ask about calcium. Duh. :rolleyes: :lol:

Thank you so much as always! I am going to take your word for it put the fear aside and go in for a blood test asap.

lithostoic
October 28th, 2017, 07:43 PM
My doctor once told me that almost everyone is deficient in Vitamins D and B. I take Calcium with Vitamin D and a B multivitamin every night.

ReptilianFeline
October 29th, 2017, 08:20 AM
For herp-keepers the combination of calcium and vit D3 is very very important. The vit D3 can be given in supplemets or through the use of UVB tube lights (the coil bulbs are thought to be bad for the herp eyes). Here in Sweden the pharmacies even have their own brand vit+supplements special for women, and there are drops for children. Vit D helps to absorb calcium and even if we think of that as part of our bones I think it also affect fingernails and hair. I had stronger nails when I drank milk when I was younger.

Krissycats
October 29th, 2017, 11:29 AM
My doctor put me on Vitamin D supplements in May and I feel great. I am not sure if it is helping my hair or not, because that was about the time I started to really pay attention to growing out my hair. I will say that my hair is in the best shape that it has ever been in. This is partly due to all of the tips and inspiration that I have received on these forums. I also take a skin, hair, and nails supplement from Target and I am trying to eat a lot of protein.

girlwithsixarms
October 29th, 2017, 11:42 AM
If needles really bother you, you can usually ask for a 'butterfly' or child's needle - they're smaller and they have a little butterfly shaped piece that will stabilize the needle against you too. If they need a decent amount of blood using one will cause the draw to take significantly longer overall, but for more standard tests they can be a great option for those who have needle issues.

lapushka
October 29th, 2017, 04:04 PM
If needles really bother you, you can usually ask for a 'butterfly' or child's needle - they're smaller and they have a little butterfly shaped piece that will stabilize the needle against you too. If they need a decent amount of blood using one will cause the draw to take significantly longer overall, but for more standard tests they can be a great option for those who have needle issues.

It might be a good idea to mention that you're a little scared of needles, OP. Yes! For sure tell them before they prick you!

ninjarambohd
October 29th, 2017, 04:36 PM
It might be a good idea to mention that you're a little scared of needles, OP. Yes! For sure tell them before they prick you!

That is an awesome idea. I'll definitely do that. Thank you.

mira-chan
October 30th, 2017, 10:10 AM
I had a more severe vitamin D deficiency, it increased my pain level in joints and caused some shedding. Both got better with Vit. D supplementation. I had to do some other things later for more improvement but just that gave some noticeable improvement.

OhSuzi
October 30th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Sometimes what you actually need is Magnesium - I'm not very sciencey – but I think the general gist is our bodies cant use vit D in the form it is, we need magnesium (& vit K & zinc & prob some other bits - but no1 is magnesium) to change vit D into usable form & then that in turn helps absorb calcium - so if you have a Magnesium deficiency and that’s actually whats stopping you absorb calcium – just munching Vit D isnt going to help - you’ll just pee it out / the non usuable form will build up in your body & have weird side effects.

Things like gobbling too much sugar – guilty – takes priority & magnesium gets used up dealing with that instead of helping out with the ol Vit D / Calcium process

I think? I read it somewhere in a sports health article on the tinterweb so it must be true? ;)
Correct me if Im wrong.

Plus I’ve seem some Irish people with a full head of hair. So… unless everyone in your village has started going bald – you’ll probably be alright with the amount of light there!

mira-chan
October 30th, 2017, 11:46 AM
You don't pee out Vitamin D as it's fat soluble so you can have an overdose from it.

Calcium can out-compete magnesium binding sites so if you take both, take them at different times of day.

Research on this topic. Link! (http://advances.nutrition.org/content/7/1/25.short)

girlwithsixarms
October 30th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Plus I’ve seem some Irish people with a full head of hair. So… unless everyone in your village has started going bald – you’ll probably be alright with the amount of light there!

True, but OP said she's originally from the Middle East, so her body may be used to getting more sunlight. Canada and other northerly countries will often recommend that people with darker skin tones and people who have moved from places that get a lot of year round sun take vitamin D supplements, especially in winter.

lapushka
October 30th, 2017, 02:19 PM
True, but OP said she's originally from the Middle East, so her body may be used to getting more sunlight. Canada and other northerly countries will often recommend that people with darker skin tones and people who have moved from places that get a lot of year round sun take vitamin D supplements, especially in winter.

I'm sure the OP is male, girlwithsixarms. :)

I'm curious about the bloodtest, though. Keep us posted on how it goes, OP. :flower:

girlwithsixarms
October 30th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Ack, sorry if I misgendered you ninjarambohd!

ninjarambohd
October 31st, 2017, 05:12 AM
Ack, sorry if I misgendered you ninjarambohd!

No problem at all. No apology needed. Thank you so much for your kindness and response and Happy Halloween!

MidnightMoon
October 31st, 2017, 10:13 AM
From my personal experience, it makes no difference. I am almost literally a vampire... avoid the sun as the plague, live in Europe, wear sunscreen on the few parts that are exposed even for a few minutes, as well as hats, and nothing has happened... if vitamin D was a problem people from the poles would be bald by now. I have lived this way for years now and my hair is just fine, better than average, at least from people's comments.
And if you wish to increase your vitamin D, try getting it from food, don't spend money on pills.
I don't really think it makes a difference, though.

YumiYume
November 4th, 2017, 08:08 AM
From my personal experience, it makes no difference. I am almost literally a vampire... avoid the sun as the plague, live in Europe, wear sunscreen on the few parts that are exposed even for a few minutes, as well as hats, and nothing has happened... if vitamin D was a problem people from the poles would be bald by now. I have lived this way for years now and my hair is just fine, better than average, at least from people's comments.
And if you wish to increase your vitamin D, try getting it from food, don't spend money on pills.

Actully vit D is not all about going bald if you lack it, depression is also a sign of lack of vit D. Many gets more sad/feeling low during fall and winter because they dont get enough vit D. Its hard to get from food. Here you get bottles to give little to babies everyday too :/

Cherriezzzzz
November 4th, 2017, 12:31 PM
I had a SEVERE vit D deficiency! It was btwn level 2 an 3. I thought I was going to die! I had BAD hair loss as well. Now I'm at level 52.8! And my hair doesn't shed much at all. My experience for what it is worth :) I used vit D3 at 10k to 40k daily. Im maintaining now with D3 5k to 10k daily.

akurah
November 4th, 2017, 03:32 PM

People at the poles have lighter skin for a reason, so OP's concern has scientific merit. Light skinned people can make more vitamin D because of our skin being light, so we need less sunlight. The lack of sun in the northern parts of the world might actually be a problem for him, especially if his skin is dark.

https://www.nasw.org/article/vitamin-d-levels-determined-how-human-skin-color-evolved

MusicalSpoons
November 8th, 2017, 01:23 PM
From what I've read (from a very wide variety of sources - some reputable, some less so but still in agreement) the recommended minimum for most vitamins and minerals is actually the minimum required to prevent deficiency. Yes, Vitamin D is fat-soluble so if one were to take huge megadoses without being low/deficient, one could have some unpleasant side-effects. Of course, vitamins are rarely absorbed or utilised by themselves so it is definitely worth a) doing a bit of reading from reputable sources, and b) talking to a doctor or pharmacist about it - and indeed necessary, if on medication or with an existing medical condition.

In my personal experience, I'm UK-born and bred, and I was low in Vitamin D so the doctor recommended a high dose for 6 months then maintenance dose thereafter. (They said no need for a retest :rolleyes: I guess they thought if I felt no benefit I'd go back, and otherwise assume my body was absorbing it fine.) I noticed no difference to my hair or any of the other symptoms I was experiencing, but I did feel happier! So :shrug: I dunno.

ninjarambohd it would be interesting to know how you get on if you do/did have a blood test, but coming from ... I can't remember where, somewhere sunnier than Ireland! it would absolutely make sense to keep an eye on your Vit D levels, as your body undoubtedly is accustomed to functioning with significantly more sun.

Rushli
November 8th, 2017, 06:21 PM
I took 5000 while breastfeeding. I was told taking it by drops was better than pill and to find one that included K2. I was also taking 1500 mg magnesium for migraines so I’m not sure if Doc would have made sure I was also taking that too. I stopped breastfeeding a month or so again and never thought about adjusting my amount.

ontheway
November 8th, 2017, 06:51 PM
I've had multiple doctors tell me to take vitamin D every day... I don't know why people on here are so scared of it. It's really common here (in Canada) for people to take it, especially in the winter. My parents are originally from a country with seasons, but it's a lot hotter than Canada in the summer/spring/fall and winters are way shorter, so I believe it's in my genes to need a little more sun. I used to live in Spain and my skin was the best it's every been in my entire life. My hair was nice here too, but I noticed it was thicker/denser/coarser while I lived in Spain. I attribute that to the amount of sun I got over there, though I should have really worn hats more often considering how much stronger the sun is over there.

checkuponit
November 9th, 2017, 10:19 AM
At a recent checkup, my vitamin D level was 36. This is "normal" but from what I can tell, it's on the lower end of the spectrum. I am experiencing pretty intense hairloss/thinning over the last 6 months, so I have begun supplementing with vitamin D to see if it helps.

Hairkay
November 9th, 2017, 11:02 AM
They are reminding people to take vitamin D now that it is autumn/winter time in the UK. They've had rickets return. They've noted that it is predominantly among the darker skinned people. The worse case scenario of rickets is death but usually you see limbs that are bent/curved when they should be straight. Sadly there's a recent case in the news of a 4 month old who died from rickets. He and his mother are dark skinned. I grew up in sunny place. My allergies were triggered by puberty but they had just been disappearing at 16. Then we moved back the to UK and it all came back and never left. I naturally awaken at dawn in summer when dawn can be early as 4am then I'm bright awake (darkened curtains/blinds don't work for me). In winter I'm sluggish and feeling down. I've ended up reminding myself to take supplements.

lapushka
November 9th, 2017, 11:55 AM
They are reminding people to take vitamin D now that it is autumn/winter time in the UK. They've had rickets return. They've noted that it is predominantly among the darker skinned people. The worse case scenario of rickets is death but usually you see limbs that are bent/curved when they should be straight. Sadly there's a recent case in the news of a 4 month old who died from rickets. He and his mother are dark skinned. I grew up in sunny place. My allergies were triggered by puberty but they had just been disappearing at 16. Then we moved back the to UK and it all came back and never left. I naturally awaken at dawn in summer when dawn can be early as 4am then I'm bright awake (darkened curtains/blinds don't work for me). In winter I'm sluggish and feeling down. I've ended up reminding myself to take supplements.

Ugh that's awful. Rickets? Seriously? :no:

T0n1c
November 9th, 2017, 11:59 AM
I take 4,000iu daily on doctor's orders. Had mine tested about 5 years ago and the doc said "Here is normal, here is low, *drops hand down* here's where you are."

I'm very fair, burn fast, and have a sun allergy that causes me to occasionally break out in hives. I'm also heat-intolerant, so I'm not sad about avoiding the sun, lol.

I can't speak for any change in hair growth, as I wasn't tracking it when I started supplementing, but it is a mood booster!

Check with your doc. A blood test to check levels is simple enough. Even if you don't supplement, you can eat foods rich in vitamin D.

whoa182
November 9th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Most people are low in vitamin d, even people in sunny places. It's really important for hair as well...

And I don't think trying to get it from food is good enough, because your levels will still be nowhere near optimal range. At least 1000-2000 IU of vitamin D3 for adults is recommended now.

And as others have said here: it really does improve your mind and it almost totally stopped me from getting "SAD" which I used to get every winter.

lapushka
November 9th, 2017, 02:40 PM
OP, how's the bloodtest going? :) :flower:

desu
November 9th, 2017, 05:10 PM
I live in Sweden so I try to take vitamin D supplements everyday. Not sure if it's doing any difference for my hair though.

T0n1c
November 10th, 2017, 06:29 AM
Whoa - it made a big difference for me in the 'SAD' department as well as a slight decrease in chronic pain and fatigue. I was really impressed that I could feel the difference! Pretty surprising what a difference one supplement made.

ninjarambohd
March 13th, 2018, 05:30 AM
Hello everyone! I'm back! I want to apologise for not replying to this thread. Unfortunately my brother was hospitalised for a small infection so was making sure he's ok. I literally just came back from a blood test. It went really smoothly. As everyone said it was just a tiny pinch. Anyways, the doctor said the results will be ready by either Friday or Monday. I will keep everyone updated. Apology for the delay.

FennFire911
March 13th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Sometimes what you actually need is Magnesium - I'm not very sciencey – but I think the general gist is our bodies cant use vit D in the form it is, we need magnesium (& vit K & zinc & prob some other bits - but no1 is magnesium) to change vit D into usable form & then that in turn helps absorb calcium - so if you have a Magnesium deficiency and that’s actually whats stopping you absorb calcium – just munching Vit D isnt going to help - you’ll just pee it out / the non usuable form will build up in your body & have weird side effects.

Things like gobbling too much sugar – guilty – takes priority & magnesium gets used up dealing with that instead of helping out with the ol Vit D / Calcium process

I think? I read it somewhere in a sports health article on the tinterweb so it must be true? ;)
Correct me if Im wrong.

Just a quick drive by to chime in on magnesium..Transdermal absorption is highly preferable over oral consumption. An Epsom salts bath/soak or a magnesium oil spray directly on a sore muscle will be significantly better in the long run than taking mag in pill form. :)

RadioactiveLily
March 13th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Agree with FennFire. If you're someone prone to diarrhea, oral magnesium can make it much worse.

Idk if anyone has heard this from their doctor, but I was told that high dose vit D can contribute to kidney stones if you're already prone to them. For this reason they recommended daily low dose for me instead.

Glad you were able to get the blood test done, ninjarambod! And well-wishes to your brother as he recovers.

ninjarambohd
April 12th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Hello everyone! I apologize for the delay in the response. Anyways I got my results back last week and my doctor said "With this sort of outstanding blood results there is no way your hair loss is because of anemia or thyroid" I asked her how about my Vitamin D and other Vitamins and she said because people in Ireland are all prone to being deficient in Vitamin D the lab does not test for it at all and everyone is advised to take a supplement for Vitamin D. So she said your problem is most probably genetics and she prescribed Propecia taken once daily. Let's hope I can get my hair's density back again!

Todd
April 12th, 2018, 02:26 PM
My doctor recommended I take Vitamin D and fish oil daily. Its supposed to help clear up my rosacea. If it helps my hair, that's a bonus!

MusicalSpoons
April 12th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Hello everyone! I apologize for the delay in the response. Anyways I got my results back last week and my doctor said "With this sort of outstanding blood results there is no way your hair loss is because of anemia or thyroid" I asked her how about my Vitamin D and other Vitamins and she said because people in Ireland are all prone to being deficient in Vitamin D the lab does not test for it at all and everyone is advised to take a supplement for Vitamin D. So she said your problem is most probably genetics and she prescribed Propecia taken once daily. Let's hope I can get my hair's density back again!

Well, that's good news, I'm sure you're very pleased to know your iron and thyroid levels are fine! :D I understand what the doctor said in the bolded part but it could be useful for you to know your Vit D level anyway because there's being low, there's being deficient, and there's having almost no Vitamin D. (Though I suppose if you were very deficient you'd have other symptoms too.) If you think it might be helpful to know what you're working with, it's worth investigating the possibility of a private Vitamin D test, if you're in a position to be able to. Here a reliable test using blood from a fingerprick can be bought online for around £25.

Anyway, all the best with your prescription, and I hope your brother is recovering well too :flower:

Wendyp
April 12th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Vitamine D is essential for hormone health so a deficiency is significant. But lapuska is correct you can’t guess with this stuff. Find a functional medicine specialist or doctor who will do a whole panel on everything on you. Shedding can be many things and for me was simply putting oil on my scalp over night. Once I read here that it caused shedding in some I stopped and so did the extreme shedding.

lapushka
April 12th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Vitamine D is essential for hormone health so a deficiency is significant. But lapuska is correct you can’t guess with this stuff. Find a functional medicine specialist or doctor who will do a whole panel on everything on you. Shedding can be many things and for me was simply putting oil on my scalp over night. Once I read here that it caused shedding in some I stopped and so did the extreme shedding.

Ugh, I just wish this info was "out there", because it's a simple solution really. But who'd even think of the oil, right?

Glitch
April 12th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Ugh, I just wish this info was "out there", because it's a simple solution really. But who'd even think of the oil, right?

Yep. Lol, in my culture oiling is so common that my mom still doesn't believe that that is why I shed so much when my scalp is oiled. I always just thought I had weak hair or something until I found out oil can indeed be the cause of significant hair shedding. I remember my mom having handfuls of my shed hair during those times when she'd give me a head massage with oil shudder:

Wendyp
April 12th, 2018, 06:54 PM

Exactly! For example Wen recommends sleeping with his oil on your scalp. So even hairdressers aren’t taught this stuff. I continue to be amazed at how much I have learned about hair from this community.

Garnetgem
April 12th, 2018, 07:18 PM
When i take vitamin D i tend to get flakes galore...could be i tend to produce more sebum while i take them.

M.McDonough
August 16th, 2020, 01:11 AM
I had a SEVERE vit D deficiency! It was btwn level 2 an 3. I thought I was going to die! I had BAD hair loss as well. Now I'm at level 52.8! And my hair doesn't shed much at all. My experience for what it is worth :) I used vit D3 at 10k to 40k daily. Im maintaining now with D3 5k to 10k daily.

How bad was your hair loss. How how long did it take for your hair to grow back?

Kathie
August 16th, 2020, 02:23 AM
The vitamin d receptor (VDR) is found in the hair follicle and has been shown to be important for "maintaining hair follicle integrity".

"During the hair cycle, the hair follicle retains the dermal papilla, sebaceous glands and upper outer root sheath, including the bulge. The lower part of the follicle goes through periods of growth (anagen), regression (catagen) and rest (telogen). The VDR is expressed in the two major cell populations that make up the hair follicle: the mesodermal dermal papilla cells and the epidermal keratinocytes. VDR expression in the hair follicle is increased during late anagen and catagen, correlating with decreased proliferation and increased differentiation of the keratinocytes."

So there are more receptors for vit D in the hair follicle when hair is growing . More receptors indicates that the hair growing "machinery" requires vit D to function properly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1876678/

Siv
August 16th, 2020, 02:54 AM
The vitamin d receptor (VDR) is found in the hair follicle and has been shown to be important for "maintaining hair follicle integrity".

"During the hair cycle, the hair follicle retains the dermal papilla, sebaceous glands and upper outer root sheath, including the bulge. The lower part of the follicle goes through periods of growth (anagen), regression (catagen) and rest (telogen). The VDR is expressed in the two major cell populations that make up the hair follicle: the mesodermal dermal papilla cells and the epidermal keratinocytes. VDR expression in the hair follicle is increased during late anagen and catagen, correlating with decreased proliferation and increased differentiation of the keratinocytes."

So there are more receptors for vit D in the hair follicle when hair is growing . More receptors indicates that the hair growing "machinery" requires vit D to function properly.

That's super interesting! (I remember learning last semester that hair loss is a symptom of vit D deficiency but we didn't go into detail on the "machinations")

M.McDonough
August 17th, 2020, 06:58 AM

You must be a doctor

Kathie
August 17th, 2020, 07:54 PM
You must be a doctor

I am. But a PhD in psychology specialising in neuroscience- not a medical doctor. My last research project looked at the link between maternal vitamin D deficiency and schizophrenia.

M.McDonough
August 17th, 2020, 08:56 PM
I am. But a PhD in psychology specialising in neuroscience- not a medical doctor. My last research project looked at the link between maternal vitamin D deficiency and schizophrenia.

That's impressive. I had thinning on the crown as I wasn't getting any sun for a few years. I was deficient in vitamin D, my level was at 25 and now I got it up to 90 ng/ml, but I'm not seeing any growth yet. Does it take long to grow back or what's the deal?

Kathie
August 17th, 2020, 09:14 PM
That's impressive. I had thinning on the crown as I wasn't getting any sun for a few years. I was deficient in vitamin D, my level was at 25 and now I got it up to 90 ng/ml, but I'm not seeing any growth yet. Does it take long to grow back or what's the deal?

I'm not sure when you should see a theaputic effect. Did you doctor give you an estimate? I wonder if anyone who has had experience with vitamin D deficiency and hair growth could chime in?

M.McDonough
August 17th, 2020, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure when you should see a theaputic effect. Did you doctor give you an estimate? I wonder if anyone who has had experience with vitamin D deficiency and hair growth could chime in?

No, they only checked the things that are associated with hair loss like thyroid, iron, zinc, and vitamin D. All was fine except for vitamin D. That makes sense since I was always putting on sunscreen.

Kathie
August 17th, 2020, 10:24 PM
No, they only checked the things that are associated with hair loss like thyroid, iron, zinc, and vitamin D. All was fine except for vitamin D. That makes sense since I was always putting on sunscreen.

One of the professors I was working under once got asked about not wearing sunscreen to counter vit D deficiency. I live in Queensland Australia, he said "no you take a supplement... we live in the skin cancer capital of the world". I always found it a bit ironic that I moved here to research vit D deficiency.

I wish I could be more help, but the theraputic effect of vit D repletion on hair loss is beyond me.

Can you ask next time you see your doctor? If it was me I would want to make sure everything is progressing as it should be.

Ylva
August 18th, 2020, 05:52 AM

I corrected my vitamin D deficiency in the spring or thereabouts and I am POSSIBLY noticing some increased growth now but I am not sure.

Since you describe thinning on the crown, have you had your hormones checked? Male pattern balding is usually caused by DHT, a more potent form of testosterone, which the body makes when there's not enough regular T.

CuteCrow
August 18th, 2020, 07:08 AM

Do you live in a sunny place? I find those values a bit odd. 25ng/ml is nowhere low enough to cause significant hair loss IMHO (I'm not a doctor or have any medical background, so take my word with a grain of salt), it's what's considered "suboptimal" but not yet a deficiency and unless you suffer from an illness that needs high levels of vitamin D, 90ng/ml is way too much, it's not toxic but is above what's considered optimal by most (70-80ng/ml). So I'm guessing that your hair loss could be related to something completely different. Anyway, levels of vitamin D are somewhat debated and it seems like every expert has their own opinion about the topic.

Did your doctor explore other causes of your thinning hair? like male pattern balness or other genetic conditions?

Also, there are a couple of small studies that show no correlation between using sunscreen daily and decreased vitamin D production when used on real life situations. This one (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30945275/) is a review of some of them.

And back to the original question, I suffered from vitamin D deficiency, it got as low as 13ng/ml. I got it checked for the same reason, hair loss. I started taking supplements and in four months it got to 17ng/ml waht's still quite low so they upped my dose. I haven't been able to get it tested again because of the covid situation as it's not considered a priority. I think my levels are a lot higher now, I stopped losing so much hair and overall feel better. I have to say I also suffered from a respiratory illness in february that I'm guessing caused ever more hairloss (probably about 300-500 hairs every time I washed my hair). Weirdly, I can't tell if I've regained any of my previous thickness as I think my hairloss and vitamin deficiency have been there for a couple of years. I can tell my hair doesn't look thicker yet but it could also be that my hairloss wasn't related to my deficiency. I can say it doesn't feel that thin anymore if that makes any sense.

Ylva
August 18th, 2020, 07:28 AM
I'm not a medical professional either, but I just googled that in Finland, they would like everyone to be at 50 nmol/l minimum (described as "generally sufficient") with 75 nmol/l or above being considered optimal for bone health. It doesn't turn to "toxic" until 375 nmol/l. 90 ng/l would appear to be 286.2 nmol/l. It is also worth noting that western medicine tends to undermine vitamin deficiencies and the values at which one is no longer considered "deficient" are generally set as low as possible.

As far as supplementing goes, from the Sun, it is possible to get up to 40 000 IU worth of vitamin D per day. It's impossible to overdose on vitamin D from the Sun, but when taking vitamin D as a supplement, it is essential to take it together with K2 (preferably in the form menaquinone-7 for best utilisation in the body) in order for it to function optimally. Also, cholesterol is needed in order for the body to make vitamin D out of the Sun, so having low cholesterol can lead to chronic vitamin D deficiency.

ETA: As far as my own vitamin D levels go, in my previous test in the fall, my result appears to have been 96.4 nmol/l, or 30.3 ng/l. This was back when I was definitely not getting enough vitamin D.

MusicalSpoons
August 18th, 2020, 07:39 AM
ETA: As far as my own vitamin D levels go, in my previous test in the fall, my result appears to have been 96.4 nmol/l, or 30.3 ng/l. This was back when I was definitely not getting enough vitamin D.

Damn, I'd be ecstatic with 90 nmol/l - mine's barely ever been above 70! I've heard about K2 before but have never been certain enough to actually go for it. Any idea how much K2 to take relative to vitamin D?

Ylva
August 18th, 2020, 07:49 AM
Damn, I'd be ecstatic with 90 nmol/l - mine's barely ever been above 70! I've heard about K2 before but have never been certain enough to actually go for it. Any idea how much K2 to take relative to vitamin D?

Of that, I am not completely sure, so I'm mostly doing guesswork in that area. This is my current vitamin D supplement:

https://i.ibb.co/PTFh9wh/vitamind.jpg

I'm sure it is not the most perfect one out there but it probably gives an idea, not only of the amounts of K2 in general but how the utilisation of the different forms of K2 differs.

The more animal products one consumes, the lesser is the need to supplement K2 as well.

squirrrel
August 18th, 2020, 02:13 PM
I have also started supplements for D3 and K2: I have a peppermint flavoured drop I use. I got a test almost a month ago now: 39.7 nmol/l. Apparently that’s 15.88 ng/l. I have not noticed hair thinning or anything, but I was exhausted a lot in January: I wonder if the vitamin D was lower then... I will have to redo the test in a few months to see if I have made any improvements before I know whether this supplement has been of any benefit (and a little while outside over the summer...

Kathie
August 18th, 2020, 03:17 PM
I'm not a medical professional either, but I just googled that in Finland, they would like everyone to be at 50 nmol/l minimum (described as "generally sufficient") with 75 nmol/l or above being considered optimal for bone health. It doesn't turn to "toxic" until 375 nmol/l. 90 ng/l would appear to be 286.2 nmol/l. It is also worth noting that western medicine tends to undermine vitamin deficiencies and the values at which one is no longer considered "deficient" are generally set as low as possible.

As far as supplementing goes, from the Sun, it is possible to get up to 40 000 IU worth of vitamin D per day. It's impossible to overdose on vitamin D from the Sun, but when taking vitamin D as a supplement, it is essential to take it together with K2 (preferably in the form menaquinone-7 for best utilisation in the body) in order for it to function optimally. Also, cholesterol is needed in order for the body to make vitamin D out of the Sun, so having low cholesterol can lead to chronic vitamin D deficiency.

Absolutely, you'll see some studies make a distinction between insufficient 21-29ng/l vit D and deficient below 20 ng/l. And some debate about whether insufficiency should be taken more seriously.

But it gets tricky.... because vitamin D does so much in the body! We were looking at its ability to change gene expression in the developing brain. Its well known to support bone health. And there's now there is research showing that it supports hair growth.... let alone everything in between.

Here's the tricky part- is there an optimal vit d level for all body processes that it supports? Probably not. I think we'll find that some vit D mediated processes are only impacted at the defficient level and some processes will be impacted earlier at the insufficient level. Let alone all the interactions with other vitamins and hormones.

Edit: M.McDonough your doctor will be using the process of elimination to figure out what is causing your hair loss. Your vit D levels stood out as a problem so the first step was to get these within a more normal or therapeutic range. If this doesn't work, they will likely look for another cause.

M.McDonough
August 18th, 2020, 11:10 PM
Do you live in a sunny place? I find those values a bit odd. 25ng/ml is nowhere low enough to cause significant hair loss IMHO (I'm not a doctor or have any medical background, so take my word with a grain of salt), it's what's considered "suboptimal" but not yet a deficiency and unless you suffer from an illness that needs high levels of vitamin D, 90ng/ml is way too much, it's not toxic but is above what's considered optimal by most (70-80ng/ml). So I'm guessing that your hair loss could be related to something completely different. Anyway, levels of vitamin D are somewhat debated and it seems like every expert has their own opinion about the topic.

Did your doctor explore other causes of your thinning hair? like male pattern balness or other genetic conditions?

Also, there are a couple of small studies that show no correlation between using sunscreen daily and decreased vitamin D production when used on real life situations. This one (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30945275/) is a review of some of them.

And back to the original question, I suffered from vitamin D deficiency, it got as low as 13ng/ml. I got it checked for the same reason, hair loss. I started taking supplements and in four months it got to 17ng/ml waht's still quite low so they upped my dose. I haven't been able to get it tested again because of the covid situation as it's not considered a priority. I think my levels are a lot higher now, I stopped losing so much hair and overall feel better. I have to say I also suffered from a respiratory illness in february that I'm guessing caused ever more hairloss (probably about 300-500 hairs every time I washed my hair). Weirdly, I can't tell if I've regained any of my previous thickness as I think my hairloss and vitamin deficiency have been there for a couple of years. I can tell my hair doesn't look thicker yet but it could also be that my hairloss wasn't related to my deficiency. I can say it doesn't feel that thin anymore if that makes any sense.

My Gawd! Why do I get the feeling that everybody is busting my bubbles? I wasn't getting sunlight for 3 years. Do you know what that means? Sunscreens do affect your vitamin D level. I was watching Dr. Rhonda Patrick's video last night and she mentioned sunscreen as one of the many reasons of vitamin D deficiency. There's no doubt about it. I've tried everything essential oils, biotin, scalp massages, and nothing worked. Obviously it's an internal problem. Not to mention, vitamin D isn't only a vitamin. It's a HORMONE. If your level is below 30, your way off the scale. Some even say 50 is considered to be a deficiency.

MusicalSpoons
August 19th, 2020, 05:51 AM
^ can we just check our units please? 50ng/l and 50nmol/l are completely different and I don't know which you mean.

Ylva thank you, that's helpful :)

squirrrel
August 19th, 2020, 06:14 AM
I now think that you are meaning nmol/l M.McDonough. Looking at the ranges on the tests I was given, 50 or less is borderline low, with anything that is less than 48.5 being definitely low. Going by this 25 nmol/l would be 10 ng/l. That everyone here would agree was a significantly low number, which could well make a difference to your hair. From all I can find out, America is one of very few places that use ng/l rather than nmol/l...

Kathie
August 19th, 2020, 04:39 PM
I'm curious about original question.... how long until someone see an effect on their hair growth after vitamin d repletion?

M.McDonough, how long ago did you find out you were in the more normal vit. D range?

Edit: knowing where you are in your course of treatment might be helpful for comparison with people who have also experienced reduced vit D and hair loss.

CuteCrow
August 19th, 2020, 06:11 PM
My Gawd! Why do I get the feeling that everybody is busting my bubbles? I wasn't getting sunlight for 3 years. Do you know what that means? Sunscreens do affect your vitamin D level. I was watching Dr. Rhonda Patrick's video last night and she mentioned sunscreen as one of the many reasons of vitamin D deficiency. There's no doubt about it. I've tried everything essential oils, biotin, scalp massages, and nothing worked. Obviously it's an internal problem. Not to mention, vitamin D isn't only a vitamin. It's a HORMONE. If your level is below 30, your way off the scale. Some even say 50 is considered to be a deficiency.

You didn't say anything before about not getting any sunlight, just that you used suncream a lot. I was just trying to put you at ease that if you spend time outdoors with sunscreen on that didn't mean that you weren't producing enough vitamin D.
I linked a study in my last comment that reviewed a lot of other studies regarding the topic and drew the conclusion I said above. You can also read the individual studies yourself and draw your own conclusions. Of course you are entitled to your own opinions, but I hope you don't stop using sunscreen just to obtain more vitamin D from the sun.

Well, I agree that you should check what units are you using?

Based on my own knowledge that I gathered from studies and medical journals (but as I said above without any medical background myself), there's a consensus that below 10-12 ng/ml (30 nmol/l) is considered a deficiency and is where people are most at risk of osteomalacia/heart issues/rickets in kids/higher mortality rates... Also, as far as I know, a lot of professionals consider anything below 20 ng/ml (50 nmol/l) a deficiency too. Now, there is a lot of debate among scientists about what levels should be considered "optimal", some say above 30ng/ml (75 nmol/l) is what we should aim for with others saying it should be as high as 50ng/ml (125 nmol/l), and there's also those who believe we are over-testing and over-dosing vitamimn D supplements and the 12ng/ml threshold is perfectly fine for most people without any family history of bone related problems. People with high sun exposure that get enough vitamin D naturally tend to stay between the 28-32ng/ml (70-80nmol/l) range and there isn't enough evidence to prove that higher levels prevent diseases or are beneficial at all.

I asked if you lived in a sunny place because some people produce high levels of vitamin D naturally. And 90ng/ml(225 nmol/l) seemed quite high and just in case your doctor didn't tell you, it's recommended to take vitamin D supplements in the morning before any sun exposure, as Ylva said it's impossible to overdose vitamin D from the sun but it's very possible to happen if you take your supplements after your body has produced the amount it needs.

This image gives a good idea of the different recommendations from the different experts/organizations:
https://images.huffingtonpost.com/2016-05-11-1463002620-1882731-optimalbloodlevelofvitD.JPG

If you aren't seeing any new growth after 3 months your levels are back to normal you should consult your GP and explore further solutions.

I'm curious about original question.... how long until someone see an effect on their hair growth after vitamin d repletion?

Back to the topic, If your hairloss was indeed related to vitamin D deficiency, I guess it's the same as with any hair loss. You'll start seeing changes 3-6 months after your levels are back to normal and see a full recovery after around 6-12 months, depending on your growth rate.

M.McDonough
August 19th, 2020, 11:41 PM
I now think that you are meaning nmol/l M.McDonough. Looking at the ranges on the tests I was given, 50 or less is borderline low, with anything that is less than 48.5 being definitely low. Going by this 25 nmol/l would be 10 ng/l. That everyone here would agree was a significantly low number, which could well make a difference to your hair. From all I can find out, America is one of very few places that use ng/l rather than nmol/l...

You didn't say anything before about not getting any sunlight, just that you used suncream a lot. I was just trying to put you at ease that if you spend time outdoors with sunscreen on that didn't mean that you weren't producing enough vitamin D.
I linked a study in my last comment that reviewed a lot of other studies regarding the topic and drew the conclusion I said above. You can also read the individual studies yourself and draw your own conclusions. Of course you are entitled to your own opinions, but I hope you don't stop using sunscreen just to obtain more vitamin D from the sun.

Well, I agree that you should check what units are you using?

Based on my own knowledge that I gathered from studies and medical journals (but as I said above without any medical background myself), there's a consensus that below 10-12 ng/ml (30 nmol/l) is considered a deficiency and is where people are most at risk of osteomalacia/heart issues/rickets in kids/higher mortality rates... Also, as far as I know, a lot of professionals consider anything below 20 ng/ml (50 nmol/l) a deficiency too. Now, there is a lot of debate among scientists about what levels should be considered "optimal", some say above 30ng/ml (75 nmol/l) is what we should aim for with others saying it should be as high as 50ng/ml (125 nmol/l), and there's also those who believe we are over-testing and over-dosing vitamimn D supplements and the 12ng/ml threshold is perfectly fine for most people without any family history of bone related problems. People with high sun exposure that get enough vitamin D naturally tend to stay between the 28-32ng/ml (70-80nmol/l) range and there isn't enough evidence to prove that higher levels prevent diseases or are beneficial at all.

I asked if you lived in a sunny place because some people produce high levels of vitamin D naturally. And 90ng/ml(225 nmol/l) seemed quite high and just in case your doctor didn't tell you, it's recommended to take vitamin D supplements in the morning before any sun exposure, as Ylva said it's impossible to overdose vitamin D from the sun but it's very possible to happen if you take your supplements after your body has produced the amount it needs.

This image gives a good idea of the different recommendations from the different experts/organizations:
https://images.huffingtonpost.com/2016-05-11-1463002620-1882731-optimalbloodlevelofvitD.JPG

If you aren't seeing any new growth after 3 months your levels are back to normal you should consult your GP and explore further solutions.

Back to the topic, If your hairloss was indeed related to vitamin D deficiency, I guess it's the same as with any hair loss. You'll start seeing changes 3-6 months after your levels are back to normal and see a full recovery after around 6-12 months, depending on your growth rate.
I've read enough about vitamin D and I'm aware of everything you said. I'll be back in several months to show you that my hair has grown back. Remember that.

LeonardFludd
July 8th, 2021, 07:12 AM
I've read enough about vitamin D and I'm aware of everything you said. I'll be back in several months to show you that my hair has grown back. Remember that.

Sorry that I revived this thread. But I want to know the end of this history.

Vitamin D helped your hair to grow?

springermichell
July 8th, 2021, 07:15 AM
I don't think that Vitamin D can help hair to grow.

lapushka
July 8th, 2021, 08:32 AM
Sorry that I revived this thread. But I want to know the end of this history.

Vitamin D helped your hair to grow?

I don't think that Vitamin D can help hair to grow.

Just FYI to the newbies here. The poster above hasn't been on this site in a long long time (look at the dates of the messages). Also, some more explanation would be nice as to why you don't think it will help.

springermichell
July 9th, 2021, 12:19 AM
I tried Vitamin D but nothing worked.

Maybe, I had this result, for others, this can work. Or vitamins which I took wasn't the best one.

Jools69
July 9th, 2021, 01:20 AM

Maybe, I had this result, for others, this can work. Or vitamins which I took wasn't the best one.
Vitamin supplements only work if you’re lacking in that vitamin. If you take more vitamins than what your body needs, it will either be flushed out of your system (in the case of vitamin C), or accumulate and become toxic (as in the case of vitamin A affecting your liver). More of a ‘good’ thing doesn’t mean it’s better.

Unless your body has problems absorbing nutrients from food or you’re having a healthy and balance diet, don’t waste your money.

lapushka
July 9th, 2021, 05:25 AM
Vitamin supplements only work if you’re lacking in that vitamin. If you take more vitamins than what your body needs, it will either be flushed out of your system (in the case of vitamin C), or accumulate and become toxic (as in the case of vitamin A affecting your liver). More of a ‘good’ thing doesn’t mean it’s better.

Unless your body has problems absorbing nutrients from food or you’re having a healthy and balance diet, don’t waste your money.

Don't waste your money, and don't "burden" your body.

LeonardFludd
July 11th, 2021, 03:19 AM

What brand of vitamins did you use?

springermichell
July 11th, 2021, 03:47 AM
What brand of vitamins did you use?

I think PipingRock

LeonardFludd
July 11th, 2021, 11:44 PM
I think PipingRock

Well, I mean, usually it takes at least a month to be able to see any changes in your hair, skin, whatever you might be looking for. That goes for any vitamins and supplements in general, so don't expect anything overnight. Also, vitamin D should be accompanied by some keratine if your end goal is your hair's health. Personally, I use this brand SPAM and I'm in love with the products they have.

squirrrel
July 12th, 2021, 12:23 AM
Well, I mean, usually it takes at least a month to be able to see any changes in your hair, skin, whatever you might be looking for. That goes for any vitamins and supplements in general, so don't expect anything overnight. Also, vitamin D should be accompanied by some keratine if your end goal is your hair's health. Personally, I use this brand SPAM and I'm in love with the products they have.

The other question would be whether it was one of the few piping rock vitamin D tablets that also has K2 in it, or if K2 was otherwise supplemented. The body can only use the D3 in the presence of enough K2…