PDA

View Full Version : Advice/recs for thin, fine waves/curls - I am so out of my depth here

leilan
October 26th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Hello again! I'm getting low on the shampoo I'm using up, which means it's time to decide what to try next.

Here's the sitch:

About a year ago I posted on here asking what the heck was up with my one 3a curl that had appeared. Since then I've moved from humid TX to dry, dry CO; now I've got a whole underlayer of hair that wants to be curly!
https://i.imgur.com/gaJLOGb.jpg?1

My canopy, unfortunately, tends towards straight and frizzy. Scrunching my hair with a microfiber towel so that it's no longer dripping helps accentuate the curls, as does Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Even with these things, the curls will go away if I so much as breathe. But my hair is SO fine and SO thin that it gets weighed down by everything.

So, I'm on the hunt for a new shampoo. Some ideas that I've come across are Devacurl No Poo or some type of cleansing conditioner.
Super lightweight mousse? Leave-in conditioner that doesn't make my hair limp and greasy? Deep conditioner?

I've been straight-haired and frizz-free my entire life. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!

vega
October 26th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Look up jessicurl. They have a light and luminous line,its equivalent to deva line but I find jessicurl more moisturizing, good luck

leilan
October 26th, 2017, 02:11 PM
A few things to add-

I wash every other day or every third day. Currently using up Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Shampoo. I believe it gives me buildup, so I'd like to try something else. Conditioner is GVP Conditioning Balm, no complaints there. I clip it up in a shower cap for 5-10 min every time I wash.

I have camellia oil, but if I put on enough to tame the frizzies it leaves me looking greasy.
I am not currently doing regular deep treatments, but I think I should start.

Winter in CO means dry air! Yesterday the humidity was 19%. So probably humectants are a no-no?

I'd really love to find a way to have my curls last through the day, and have my canopy be not so frizzy. If I could accomplish these things, I would be so happy!

leilan
October 26th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Vega, thank you for the suggestion! I will def look into that, as I think moisture is something my hair definitely needs.

lapushka
October 26th, 2017, 02:18 PM
A Shea Moisture shampoo should be just fine! Just moisturize well with a good moisturizing rinse-out conditioner and perhaps do the LOC/LCO method for styling (see my signature).

leilan
October 26th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Lapushka, you are always quick to provide advice when I have questions-- thank you!

Maybe it's just that I don't know what I should be looking for, but I sadly have not had great success with Shea Moisture, apart from the Curl-Enhancing Smoothie. I've tried a couple shampoos and conditioners and a DT, but my hair always feels a bit rough and coated. :(

I've experimented with LOC and LCO, but it seems that my hair is just too light for using any oil at all. I either use so little that it does no good, or I use more and it leaves my hair limp and stringy. Am I doing something wrong?

lapushka
October 26th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Lapushka, you are always quick to provide advice when I have questions-- thank you!

Maybe it's just that I don't know what I should be looking for, but I sadly have not had great success with Shea Moisture, apart from the Curl-Enhancing Smoothie. I've tried a couple shampoos and conditioners and a DT, but my hair always feels a bit rough and coated. :(

I've experimented with LOC and LCO, but it seems that my hair is just too light for using any oil at all. I either use so little that it does no good, or I use more and it leaves my hair limp and stringy. Am I doing something wrong?

In that case, I second Jessicurl. Maui moisture is another range you could try (drugstore), and Hask! Let's not forget hask. They have excellent conditioners and shampoos too.

No you aren't doing something wrong. The small amount that seemingly does no good is the right amount to use. It will do something, and that is it will keep the hair in good condition. Less than you think you need is always best for this. I find, anyway!

leilan
October 26th, 2017, 03:45 PM
I will definitely look at Maui Moisture and Hask! Looking at Jessicurl, it's a bit out of my price range right now ($17 for 8oz, ouch!) but I'll look into trial sizes as well.

That is good to know about the oil, thanks!

leilan
October 26th, 2017, 05:55 PM
After looking up the ingredients, I'm leaning toward Hask. Maui Moisture might be good, but it has aloe as the first ingredient of all its products, which makes me hesitate.

ghanima
October 27th, 2017, 05:08 AM
I'm having a good experience with Garnier Whole Blends Replenishing Shampoo Legendary Olive (https://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Blends-Replenishing-Shampoo-Legendary/dp/B01M18T8AJ/ref=pd_bxgy_194_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=93T1NR3R3WMGD5Y1CAA6&dpID=41RpbyxUxWL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail&th=1), which in France has another name, maybe the formula is the same. My hair are not particularly thin but they can't stand anything put on them, and this shampoo is not bothering them at all, and at the same time it's much less drying than other shampoos I've tried. It's also quite cheap.

Silverbleed
October 27th, 2017, 05:29 AM
For me, going as ‘light’ as possible worked really well. I wash with a shampoo bar then rinse with acv. Occasionally I use a protein and moisture treatment but not too often as my hair gets easily overmoisturized. I do not comb my hair after showering, or else it becomes stringy. I make sure it’s detangled before the shower instead. Sometimes I go water only. It took some time to find out how but I think I am doing quite well.

lapushka
October 27th, 2017, 05:57 AM
I'm having a good experience with Garnier Whole Blends Replenishing Shampoo Legendary Olive (https://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Blends-Replenishing-Shampoo-Legendary/dp/B01M18T8AJ/ref=pd_bxgy_194_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=93T1NR3R3WMGD5Y1CAA6&dpID=41RpbyxUxWL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail&th=1), which in France has another name, maybe the formula is the same. My hair are not particularly thin but they can't stand anything put on them, and this shampoo is not bothering them at all, and at the same time it's much less drying than other shampoos I've tried. It's also quite cheap.

It's Garnier Ultra Doux, perhaps? Same in Belgium. The olive one is, I think, about the same, save maybe a few ingredients that are allowed here and not there and the other way round. Perhaps. I have never compared ingredients. :)