PDA

View Full Version : Colouring dark (like, black/brown dark) virgin hair without bleach, anyone managed?

QueenMab
October 26th, 2017, 10:03 AM
I've got very dark hair (only visibly brown in bright sunlight), and I'm wondering if anyone has ever successfully managed to successfully colour their dark hair unnatural colours without bleach? Obviously it wouldn't be a bright colour, but something dark and very rich? Like a strong forest green or plum maybe?

If so, which dye did you use? How long did it last?

pastina
October 26th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Here's a gallery (http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/unbleachedpage1.html) of colors on unbleached hair.

In my experience, the dye doesn't last very long on unprocessed hair, and it gives just a sheen of color in bright light (which IMO is a very pretty effect!)

Nique1202
October 26th, 2017, 03:50 PM
The colour that a vegetable dye will look on your hair really depends on your individual starting shade and how easily your hair will uptake the dye. The darker your hair and the less porous, the less visible any deposit-only dye will be, so the only way to know how it will look is to try it for yourself. I hope you get a result you like, if you do.

Dark40
October 26th, 2017, 04:59 PM
My natural hair color is dark brown, and I've used a light blonde shade on my virgin hair. It lightens up to a very bright red or strawberry blonde shade without bleach. The kind of dye I always use is Clairol Nice N Easy.

Nique1202
October 26th, 2017, 06:08 PM
My natural hair color is dark brown, and I've used a light blonde shade on my virgin hair. It lightens up to a very bright red or strawberry blonde shade without bleach. The kind of dye I always use is Clairol Nice N Easy.

Sorry to be a spoilsport but if it lightens the hair in any way, something is bleaching it, even if you're not using something marketed as bleach. It's got some kind of developer in there that's opening the hair follicle and very likely that's something like hydrogen peroxide (used in high concentrations as a bleach, in low concentrations as a developer) which is also destroying the natural pigment inside, and eating away at the hair as it does. Just because you're not using a separate bleach step doesn't mean it's not damaging or bleaching when it comes down to it.

Robi-Bird
October 26th, 2017, 06:23 PM
My experience has been that reddy purples, reds and pinks tint okay, though wash off quickly, however they can leave a residual stain, but the effect is nice. Greens end up looking very muddy, like a swamp monster, and blues and bluey purples looks black. My experience has been that greens and blues can permanently stain which is not ideal when the results look like sludge. You mileage may vary but if I want a visible, unnatural colour, it'll been lightening my hair.

Dark40
October 26th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Sorry to be a spoilsport but if it lightens the hair in any way, something is bleaching it, even if you're not using something marketed as bleach. It's got some kind of developer in there that's opening the hair follicle and very likely that's something like hydrogen peroxide (used in high concentrations as a bleach, in low concentrations as a developer) which is also destroying the natural pigment inside, and eating away at the hair as it does. Just because you're not using a separate bleach step doesn't mean it's not damaging or bleaching when it comes down to it.

Yes, you are right that anything that lightens the hair is bleach, and that box dye has hydrogen peroxide and developer in it. But my hair is damaged at all, and I've been using this product for many years now. It is still very healthy and growing long and strong. For the type of hair I have which is relaxed I have to use box dye. I can't use henna or any other kind of dye if I really want to color my hair, and I really need to color it to cover the greys, and the straightening part is another chemical I use on my hair. But I always keep my hair moisturized and well-conditioned. The black, browns, and red shades don't have bleach in it, and I've been using those shades for many years.

Kellylee
October 26th, 2017, 08:43 PM
You could just use a highlift dye, but it has to be all virgin hair. But I will warn you it's the lifting of color that damages your hair. Highlift dye is a much safer option if you are doing it at home but like I said before with any lightning of the hair there will be damage regardless of the method used. I wouldn't expect a lot but you'll need to buy shampoo and conditioner for colored hair so you don't have to keep recoloring it.

Kae612
October 27th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Yes! check out the ISO colourful longhairs thread in this forum - I think the user luxepiggy had a similar shade to yours and dyed her hair a very deep blue shade. My hair is dark brown and I've put red and purple on it. It's very subtle colour, mind you, but I love it when the light hits. I've used Arctic Fox, and others have used Directions and Manic Panic.

ExpectoPatronum
October 27th, 2017, 09:05 PM
My experience is that you can get darker hair tinted, but if you want a full, lush color, you're going to have to lighten hair to at least some degree. I tried for over a year and finally caved and bleached my hair so I could get the vibrancy I was after. The color also keeps much longer.

queenbee1
October 28th, 2017, 06:40 AM

THIS! i had the exact same experience but with Revlon and Garnier. Hair was dark brown before the dye washed off. My virgin hair is jet black. Aldo i agree with Nique that my dye developer probably contained peroxide. My hair was weaker but not damaged enough for me to regret it.