PDA

View Full Version : Silicones

Dark40
October 25th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Hi all,

I have a question about how often you leave silicones in your hair. How often do can you leave them in your hair?

Jo Ann
October 25th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Dark40, silicones are a chemical compound used in things like conditioner. Usually, they coat hair, which helps make the hair "slippery," thus easing tangling and promotes easier brushing and combing. They can also help control frizz, helping your hair to be smoother.

You can pretty much leave them on your hair. Depending on the cones used, you might have to clarify/chelate your hair (depending on the buildup) occasionally to remove the buildup. Buildup can cause tangling, hair laying flatter, and stuff like that.

Are you thinking of trying something with cones in it or having a problem with something you're using with cones in it?

Shorty89
October 25th, 2017, 07:29 PM
I personally don't use cones. They make my hair feel crunchy. BUt, Jo Ann has good info.

Beeboo123
October 25th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Usually, never. It makes my hair waxy no matter how well I rinse it out (especially with cyclopentasiloxane, my nemesis), and frizzy yet limp at the same time. I barely get tangles, so I rather just go completely without.

Ligeia Noire
October 25th, 2017, 08:43 PM
I use them pretty much at every wash and clarify once a month or so. I do not feel my hair weighed down by them or build up, but not all hair types are the same. As long as your hair likes them and you clarify once a month, at least, it is all good.

leayellena
October 26th, 2017, 12:14 AM
as I usualy wash my hair once a week or every 6 days I use a hair mask from cien with cones. so far it is my favorite "shampoo" (yes, it clarifies and moisturizes so well I donīt need frequent washes), conditioner or hair mask in a single bottle that lasts for 12-15 washes on my current length and thickness.
itīs been a month so far since I shampooed my hair but since I co-wash with my cien hair mask I never needed a clarify. oh and... I donīt have so much build-up anymore, if at all. no need to screatch, no itchiness. nothing.
but I canīt tell you how it will be on summer. last summer I used to switch between co-wash and cwc, washing grequently because of sweating or not washing on weekends... meh.

Aredhel
October 26th, 2017, 05:55 AM
I have them in my hair constantly. I can't be without them, or my hair is a tangled mess. If your hair type is one that thrives on silicones, you can probably leave them in your hair indefinitely like I can (however, if I don't clarify regularly, silicones will almost give me the opposite of their desired effects)... if your hair hates them, you shouldn't be using them for even a second.

lapushka
October 26th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Hi all,

I have a question about how often you leave silicones in your hair. How often do can you leave them in your hair?

I use a shampoo that is mostly without silicones (SD and all). Then I do have silicones in my rinse-out conditioners (I condition twice). And then my stylers are generally without silicones as they are from Shea Moisture mostly, or Cantu, or Eden Bodyworks, Aunt Jackie's. Then I use my gel (no silicones mostly), and a serum that *does* have them. I also do the ROO method (baby oil on the last 4 inches or so).

I leave my hair alone for the week. No adding stuff, it's well moisturized by itself with all that I throw at it.

I think it's OK to leave them in the hair, TBH.
I do clarify wash weekly, sometimes the lengths (esp. if I ROO), sometimes not.

WildandSeawhite
October 26th, 2017, 08:16 AM
I posted this link in another thread a few months ago, but I thought it might be relevant to your question. The information has been hugely helpful to me!

https://www.reddit.com/r/HaircareScience/comments/1woutk/all_about_silicones/

My hair responds really well to silicones. My leave-in conditioner contains a silicone in the evaporative category, so that's no big deal. Then I use a deep conditioner once a week that contains a silicone in Group 3, but I also use a clarifying/chelating shampoo weekly. I just try to avoid the silicones in Group 4, because they can get too heavy on my hair.

I think it all depends on what works best for you. :)

Dark40
October 26th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Ok everybody. Thank you for your responses and good information! My hair does loves cones and silicones but I am concerned for my mother using them on her damaged relaxed hair. You see, her hair is always in a tangled mess while it's wet during every wash. I was wondering if she could co-wash using a coney conditioner on top of silicones?

Dark40
October 26th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Dark40, silicones are a chemical compound used in things like conditioner. Usually, they coat hair, which helps make the hair "slippery," thus easing tangling and promotes easier brushing and combing. They can also help control frizz, helping your hair to be smoother.

You can pretty much leave them on your hair. Depending on the cones used, you might have to clarify/chelate your hair (depending on the buildup) occasionally to remove the buildup. Buildup can cause tangling, hair laying flatter, and stuff like that.

Are you thinking of trying something with cones in it or having a problem with something you're using with cones in it?

Thank you Jo Ann for all of the information! Oh, I always use silicones in my hair. I have been for a while now. I've always known that they smooth the hair follicles out, and also smooths the hair out from being frizzy. Because, that's the main reason why I love to use them. Since my hair is always frizzy after every wash. I love how silicones adds lots of shine to my hair, and they protect it from UV rays and damage. I was just concerned about my mother leaving them in for such a long period of time. Like, 2 weeks.

Dee94
October 25th, 2018, 01:32 PM
This is completely random, but, does involve silicones... I've been wanting to keep my hair in a braid lately (having it up has been giving me little headache's now and then. No, I'm not putting it up to tight either). My hair is probably about just past shoulders when in a braid, anywaaaay, I'll get to the point... will it be OK, or, will it cause a lot of damage having it in a braid all the time? Will my silicone conditioner (HE hello hydration) keep the ends protected or should I add more to the ends each morning? I only wash twice a week, not sure if the cones keep up til the next wash? But, curious. Anyone? Also, I've noticed my hair actually looks better, and, a bit thicker than it really is, when its in a braid, another reason why I want it in a braid. Are silicones in my conditioner good enough or do I add another protective layer each day?

Thanks.:flower:

Dark40
October 25th, 2018, 03:51 PM

Yes, I do understand what they are and what they do. Thanks for explaining. I was just wondering how long can you leave them in your hair. Especially, if you CO-wash? No, I'm not having any problems with any that I'm using. I always like to clarify once a month so that I don't get product buildup.

Dark40
October 25th, 2018, 03:55 PM
This is completely random, but, does involve silicones... I've been wanting to keep my hair in a braid lately (having it up has been giving me little headache's now and then. No, I'm not putting it up to tight either). My hair is probably about just past shoulders when in a braid, anywaaaay, I'll get to the point... will it be OK, or, will it cause a lot of damage having it in a braid all the time? Will my silicone conditioner (HE hello hydration) keep the ends protected or should I add more to the ends each morning? I only wash twice a week, not sure if the cones keep up til the next wash? But, curious. Anyone? Also, I've noticed my hair actually looks better, and, a bit thicker than it really is, when its in a braid, another reason why I want it in a braid. Are silicones in my conditioner good enough or do I add another protective layer each day?

Thanks.:flower:

No, keeping your hair in a braid for several days won't cause damage but after a week you do want to take the braids down to let the hair air out. Yes, the silicone conditioner(HE hello hydration) will keep the ends protected until your next wash.

You''re welcome. :flower:

lapushka
October 25th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Your hair is i, so just past shoulders should normally give you a couple passes on the braid, at least. I know what my mom's hair does past shoulder (she's a i too).

I think it should normally be fine, but I would not keep the braid in for sleeping. But that's me, personally! I think if you pull it out of the braid to softly finger detangle at night (by separating strands and getting sheds out), and then put a couple drops of oil, or a bit of a serum or a bit of leave-in conditioner on the ends it should be fine for rebraiding the next day, or if you choose so, before going to sleep. But I would not keep it in constantly for half a week. No reason why, it's just what I would do.

Dee94
October 25th, 2018, 04:10 PM
No, keeping your hair in a braid for several days won't cause damage but after a week you do want to take the braids down to let the hair air out. Yes, the silicone conditioner(HE hello hydration) will keep the ends protected until your next wash.

You''re welcome. :flower:

Thanks, Dark40.:o

Dee94
October 25th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Your hair is i, so just past shoulders should normally give you a couple passes on the braid, at least. I know what my mom's hair does past shoulder (she's a i too).

I think it should normally be fine, but I would not keep the braid in for sleeping. But that's me, personally! I think if you pull it out of the braid to softly finger detangle at night (by separating strands and getting sheds out), and then put a couple drops of oil, or a bit of a serum or a bit of leave-in conditioner on the ends it should be fine for rebraiding the next day, or if you choose so, before going to sleep. But I would not keep it in constantly for half a week. No reason why, it's just what I would do.

Thank you! Any good oil for thin hair you could suggest? Not really a fan of coconut... Or a good serum... I was thinking of getting a serum, just because I kind of hate oils.... Since my hair is pretty thin, oils don't work for me. If you can't think of a serum, maybe you could tell me what to look for in one? Or what to stay away from in a serum.

Ylva
October 25th, 2018, 05:27 PM
I was just concerned about my mother leaving them in for such a long period of time. Like, 2 weeks.

I am currently experimenting with silicones and not clarifying. I have now gone I think three consecutive washes washing with sulfate free shampoo (doesn't remove silicones) and piling my cone free conditioner and my coney condtioner (contains a non-buildup silicone). So far I am not experiecing any need to clarify. I wash my hair twice a week. Your mom could have success with non-buildup silicones like bis-aminopropyl dimethicone and amodimethicone. They might still cause buildup at some point, but no one can really say when, it's highly individual when it happens or if it happens at all.

pailin
October 25th, 2018, 07:35 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with silicones if you're not having problems. No reason you can't use them constantly; it's not like they're toxic. The only issue is that they can cause buildup, and they're not the only thing that can do that - just the best known. And not everyone even has buildup problems with silicones. If your mother's hair is damaged, they may really be helpful to prevent further damage from handling. And if it's working, no need to change.

Dark40
October 25th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Thanks, Dark40.:o

You're welcome, Dee94. :o

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Thank you! Any good oil for thin hair you could suggest? Not really a fan of coconut... Or a good serum... I was thinking of getting a serum, just because I kind of hate oils.... Since my hair is pretty thin, oils don't work for me. If you can't think of a serum, maybe you could tell me what to look for in one? Or what to stay away from in a serum.

For serum, I have a cheapie one, but a good one from my local Aldi (it's from the brand Kyrell). They had it on sale at some point and I stocked up on it, because it's a good one.

For oil, I love baby oil or sweet almond oil (you just need a couple drops, don't overdo it). I am now using a neem-oil blend (just a tad neem in it, mostly other oils) from Dr. Hauschka.

The IC Fantasia serums are nice and light! I would fully recommend those. I have gone through bottles of these!

Dark40
November 15th, 2018, 08:18 PM
I am currently experimenting with silicones and not clarifying. I have now gone I think three consecutive washes washing with sulfate free shampoo (doesn't remove silicones) and piling my cone free conditioner and my coney condtioner (contains a non-buildup silicone). So far I am not experiecing any need to clarify. I wash my hair twice a week. Your mom could have success with non-buildup silicones like bis-aminopropyl dimethicone and amodimethicone. They might still cause buildup at some point, but no one can really say when, it's highly individual when it happens or if it happens at all.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me! Wow, lately I've been just getting use to using silicones in my hair for 2 years now off and on. I was just wondering how long can you leave them in. Because, I've learned that when you have they in they keep other products from penetrating through the hair shaft. Oh, my mom does clarify or use a SLS shampoo once a week.

Ylva
November 15th, 2018, 08:29 PM
Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me! Wow, lately I've been just getting use to using silicones in my hair for 2 years now off and on. I was just wondering how long can you leave them in. Because, I've learned that when you have they in they keep other products from penetrating through the hair shaft. Oh, my mom does clarify or use a SLS shampoo once a week.

You'll just have to experiment and see if you feel like not enough moisture is getting through. I have personally been TOLD by others that moisture getting through is not an issue with silicones, but I have yet to form my own opinion about it.

chiapommama
November 15th, 2018, 08:48 PM
How can you tell if your hair likes or doesn't like cones? Just curious.

Dark40
November 15th, 2018, 08:57 PM
You'll just have to experiment and see if you feel like not enough moisture is getting through. I have personally been TOLD by others that moisture getting through is not an issue with silicones, but I have yet to form my own opinion about it.

Ok, yes I will experiment with more and see if I'll be getting enough moisture through. That's good to know that others have said that they haven't had any issues with not getting enough moisture through with silicones. Because, I do know and understand what silicones do to your hair. They also add shine and moisture and "slip" to the hair as well, and it also coats it.

Dark40
November 15th, 2018, 08:59 PM

Oh, I know that my hair likes cones or or silicones. I've tried them many times over the 2 year period! I was just concerned about my mom leaving them in her hair for 2 or 3 washes. No, that's okay for the curiosity.

blackgothicdoll
November 15th, 2018, 09:12 PM
I still need to read through the rest of this thread. Back in the good old days, my hair LOVED cones. Nowadays, not so much. Immediate adverse effects. I do wonder what happened. I wouldn't care if I didn't have so many products under my sink with cones in them. :D

lapushka
November 16th, 2018, 06:12 AM

You just, IMO, gauge it by how your hair reacts. If it's nice and silky smooth, stick to that conditioner, whatever it is, with or without silicones. I use it all interchangeably these days. So I hardly even know if one has them or not. I do notice that when my hair is tangly it usually means I used something without silicones. Or, just a lighter conditioner. It often isn't "only" the silicones. But that's another discussion. ;)

EdG
November 16th, 2018, 06:47 AM
How can you tell if your hair likes or doesn't like cones? Just curious.I think it depends on your expectations. Some people like the coated hair feeling. Others don't.

I am in the "don't like" camp.
Ed

chiapommama
November 16th, 2018, 06:29 PM
You just, IMO, gauge it by how your hair reacts. If it's nice and silky smooth, stick to that conditioner, whatever it is, with or without silicones. I use it all interchangeably these days. So I hardly even know if one has them or not. I do notice that when my hair is tangly it usually means I used something without silicones. Or, just a lighter conditioner. It often isn't "only" the silicones. But that's another discussion. ;)
Thank you, Lapushka,you are a goldmine of hair knowledge.

chiapommama
November 16th, 2018, 06:29 PM
I think it depends on your expectations. Some people like the coated hair feeling. Others don't.

I am in the "don't like" camp.
Ed

Thanks EdG!

lapushka
November 17th, 2018, 03:49 AM
Thank you, Lapushka,you are a goldmine of hair knowledge.

I've been around the LHC block a few times, LOL, but that doesn't mean I know it all! For sure *not* - OMG! There's plenty of people that have been here shorter than I have and know much more about basic ingredients, which silicones are. I can just tell you what the effects are on my hair. FWIW. :) ;)

Ylva
November 17th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Question to a silicone pro!

Bis-aminopropyl dimethicone and amodimethicone aren't supposed to build up on themselves, but do they still build up on each other as usual?

lapushka
November 17th, 2018, 09:12 AM

Bis-aminopropyl dimethicone and amodimethicone aren't supposed to build up on themselves, but do they still build up on each other as usual?

Ooh good question, if they're in one and the same product, you mean? I don't think so, but I could be wrong on that! Don't quote me on that. You'd have to see how the hair feels if you can't get an answer here. :flower:

Ylva
November 17th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Ooh good question, if they're in one and the same product, you mean? I don't think so, but I could be wrong on that! Don't quote me on that. You'd have to see how the hair feels if you can't get an answer here. :flower:

Same or different, doesn't matter! I am just interested. For example, if my conditioner had bis-aminopropyl dimethicone and then I applied a leave-in serum with amodimethicone in it, or simply used two rinse out conditioners with the different silicones. Experimentation is certainly the best way to find out, but I was wondering if anyone might know theoretically. :)

MusicalSpoons
November 17th, 2018, 09:42 AM

Heh, not a pro but I think I have an answer: In theory, no. The reason they don't build up on themselves is one end of the molecule is positively charged (cationic). Damaged areas of the cuticle are negatively charged (anionic), so the cationic molecules are attracted to that area and bond. The opposite end of the -amine silicone molecule is neutral, so extra molecules are not attracted to it. The reason both amodimethicone and bi-aminopropyl dimethicone do not build up on themselves is the same and therefore they shouldn't build up on each other. A bit more in-depth here: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones

Amine-functionalized silicones have been chemically modified so that some of the pendant groups along the backbone have been replaced with various alkylamine groups (-R-NH2). These amine groups become positively charged in aqueous solutions because of their electron-donating (basic) tendencies, yielding an inorganic, cationic polymer.
These inorganic cationic polymers deposit onto the hair because of the electrostatic attraction between the polymer and the negatively-charged protein surface of the cuticle.
A unique property of these polymers is that once in place on the surface of the hair, they repel further deposition of amine-functional polymers on top of the existing layer, preventing buildup.

Of course as always the only way to find out how your hair reacts to the combination, regardless of buildup, is to try it and see :wink: - but in theory, no they shouldn't build up on each other.

Ylva
November 17th, 2018, 09:51 AM
Heh, not a pro but I think I have an answer: In theory, no. The reason they don't build up on themselves is one end of the molecule is positively charged (cationic). Damaged areas of the cuticle are negatively charged (anionic), so the cationic molecules are attracted to that area and bond. The opposite end of the -amine silicone molecule is neutral, so extra molecules are not attracted to it. The reason both amodimethicone and bi-aminopropyl dimethicone do not build up on themselves is the same and therefore they shouldn't build up on each other. A bit more in-depth here: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones

Of course as always the only way to find out how your hair reacts to the combination, regardless of buildup, is to try it and see :wink: - but in theory, no they shouldn't build up on each other.
You probably give the most scientific and in-depth answers about silicones that I see around here, so in my eyes, you are definitely a silicone pro!

Thank you, that's a perfect answer and clears up a lot.

lapushka
November 17th, 2018, 12:14 PM
MusicalSpoons, that was very interesting; thank you! :)

Arciela
November 17th, 2018, 04:21 PM
I have no issues using cones in my conditioner a couple times a week :) Never experienced build up and I actually often cowash, use a sulfate free shampoo, and sometimes I use my DHS zinc shampoo. I think it depends on how your hair responds to them, every ones hair is different :) If I use protein on my hair its a disaster..lol but cones are fine!