PDA

View Full Version : Silicones

Dark40
October 25th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Hi all,

I have a question about how often you leave silicones in your hair. How often do can you leave them in your hair?

Jo Ann
October 25th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Dark40, silicones are a chemical compound used in things like conditioner. Usually, they coat hair, which helps make the hair "slippery," thus easing tangling and promotes easier brushing and combing. They can also help control frizz, helping your hair to be smoother.

You can pretty much leave them on your hair. Depending on the cones used, you might have to clarify/chelate your hair (depending on the buildup) occasionally to remove the buildup. Buildup can cause tangling, hair laying flatter, and stuff like that.

Are you thinking of trying something with cones in it or having a problem with something you're using with cones in it?

Shorty89
October 25th, 2017, 07:29 PM
I personally don't use cones. They make my hair feel crunchy. BUt, Jo Ann has good info.

Beeboo123
October 25th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Usually, never. It makes my hair waxy no matter how well I rinse it out (especially with cyclopentasiloxane, my nemesis), and frizzy yet limp at the same time. I barely get tangles, so I rather just go completely without.

Ligeia Noire
October 25th, 2017, 08:43 PM
I use them pretty much at every wash and clarify once a month or so. I do not feel my hair weighed down by them or build up, but not all hair types are the same. As long as your hair likes them and you clarify once a month, at least, it is all good.

leayellena
October 26th, 2017, 12:14 AM
as I usualy wash my hair once a week or every 6 days I use a hair mask from cien with cones. so far it is my favorite "shampoo" (yes, it clarifies and moisturizes so well I donīt need frequent washes), conditioner or hair mask in a single bottle that lasts for 12-15 washes on my current length and thickness.
itīs been a month so far since I shampooed my hair but since I co-wash with my cien hair mask I never needed a clarify. oh and... I donīt have so much build-up anymore, if at all. no need to screatch, no itchiness. nothing.
but I canīt tell you how it will be on summer. last summer I used to switch between co-wash and cwc, washing grequently because of sweating or not washing on weekends... meh.

Aredhel
October 26th, 2017, 05:55 AM
I have them in my hair constantly. I can't be without them, or my hair is a tangled mess. If your hair type is one that thrives on silicones, you can probably leave them in your hair indefinitely like I can (however, if I don't clarify regularly, silicones will almost give me the opposite of their desired effects)... if your hair hates them, you shouldn't be using them for even a second.

lapushka
October 26th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Hi all,

I have a question about how often you leave silicones in your hair. How often do can you leave them in your hair?

I use a shampoo that is mostly without silicones (SD and all). Then I do have silicones in my rinse-out conditioners (I condition twice). And then my stylers are generally without silicones as they are from Shea Moisture mostly, or Cantu, or Eden Bodyworks, Aunt Jackie's. Then I use my gel (no silicones mostly), and a serum that *does* have them. I also do the ROO method (baby oil on the last 4 inches or so).

I leave my hair alone for the week. No adding stuff, it's well moisturized by itself with all that I throw at it.

I think it's OK to leave them in the hair, TBH.
I do clarify wash weekly, sometimes the lengths (esp. if I ROO), sometimes not.

WildandSeawhite
October 26th, 2017, 08:16 AM
I posted this link in another thread a few months ago, but I thought it might be relevant to your question. The information has been hugely helpful to me!

https://www.reddit.com/r/HaircareScience/comments/1woutk/all_about_silicones/

My hair responds really well to silicones. My leave-in conditioner contains a silicone in the evaporative category, so that's no big deal. Then I use a deep conditioner once a week that contains a silicone in Group 3, but I also use a clarifying/chelating shampoo weekly. I just try to avoid the silicones in Group 4, because they can get too heavy on my hair.

I think it all depends on what works best for you. :)

Dark40
October 26th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Ok everybody. Thank you for your responses and good information! My hair does loves cones and silicones but I am concerned for my mother using them on her damaged relaxed hair. You see, her hair is always in a tangled mess while it's wet during every wash. I was wondering if she could co-wash using a coney conditioner on top of silicones?

Dark40
October 26th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Dark40, silicones are a chemical compound used in things like conditioner. Usually, they coat hair, which helps make the hair "slippery," thus easing tangling and promotes easier brushing and combing. They can also help control frizz, helping your hair to be smoother.

You can pretty much leave them on your hair. Depending on the cones used, you might have to clarify/chelate your hair (depending on the buildup) occasionally to remove the buildup. Buildup can cause tangling, hair laying flatter, and stuff like that.

Are you thinking of trying something with cones in it or having a problem with something you're using with cones in it?

Thank you Jo Ann for all of the information! Oh, I always use silicones in my hair. I have been for a while now. I've always known that they smooth the hair follicles out, and also smooths the hair out from being frizzy. Because, that's the main reason why I love to use them. Since my hair is always frizzy after every wash. I love how silicones adds lots of shine to my hair, and they protect it from UV rays and damage. I was just concerned about my mother leaving them in for such a long period of time. Like, 2 weeks.