PDA

View Full Version : Flat hair?

callebest
October 25th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Hi. I have a pixie cut at the moment. I usually do a side part on the left. When my hair is all down I have volume and it's not flat but when I part my hair the top becomes flat. Why is this? Is it normal?

Jo Ann
October 25th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Maybe it's because the parted hair is lying "against it's grain," so to speak? Put another way, the hair is going against the direction it grows, so won't lie down "curved," as compared to a center part (am I making sense?).

It's been ages since I've used anything other than a center or natural part, but I remember my hair doing a similar thing--my parted hair lay "flatter" when I parted it, compared to following the shape of my head.

callebest
October 25th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Maybe it's because the parted hair is lying "against it's grain," so to speak? Put another way, the hair is going against the direction it grows, so won't lie down "curved," as compared to a center part (am I making sense?).

It's been ages since I've used anything other than a center or natural part, but I remember my hair doing a similar thing--my parted hair lay "flatter" when I parted it, compared to following the shape of my head.

So what should I do for this not to happen?

lapushka
October 25th, 2017, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Is this compared to when it's combed to the back for instance, or...? I think it's normal for hair to go a tad flat whenever you put a part in it.

Anje
October 25th, 2017, 02:09 PM
How your hair dries can make a difference. I know a lot of people with curls like to put little alligator clips on their roots to lift the hair and give it some volume near their head. Here's a video I chose more or less at random, because it wasn't terribly long, and it looks decent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ubSWeUF88 Then you let your hair dry that way, or speed the process with a blowdryer set to cool or warm (not hot). Maybe something like that can work for you?

Eventually, the weight of long hair does tend to pull hair close to the head flat. I know some people deal with this with layers. I tended to wear my long hair contained in a bun or braid most of the time with any volume squeezed out, so it was really a non-issue to me. :shrug:

spidermom
October 25th, 2017, 03:53 PM
When my hair does this, I flip it the other way. I never formally part my hair, just run a finger through it and flip it in one direction or the other.

leayellena
October 26th, 2017, 12:37 AM
I think it has to do with the way your hair grows. it usualy lays in the direction of growth and many strands on a same direction weights hair down. or it may have smth. to do with your cow licks. I´ßve watched some youtube tutorials about cowlicks: every woman there had of course short hair. short hair doesn´t get weighted down but the downside of this: cowlicks and natural parting plus your hair structure - means hair products + flat iron...

Beeboo123
October 26th, 2017, 06:03 AM
I used hair wax when I had a pixie cut to give it lift. I highly recommend Lucidol’s non-sticky line. It rinses out easily, and does not dry hair out.