PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Complicated Hair Braiding Video!

sumidha
October 25th, 2017, 12:21 AM
I think this is Romanian, and I think it's basket braiding? They're basically weaving her hair into fabric on her head, it's some of the most intense braids I've ever seen:
https://www.facebook.com/Ilyes.Claudiu/videos/802038856618278/?hc_ref=ARR3PR0an_V6MjVo3aH30x4p1c_3gQXzVUbseYbUiR ESHHI7ApFVzIzd0lr-vA7ogGA

Maybe there's a Romanian (I think?) member who can translate and give us more info. :)

GalaMoon
October 25th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Here's a rough translation.

"Hair braiding in Oas"

"Braiding the bride's hair in Oas is a well kept secret, passed from one generation to another, only in the family of the braiders (the women braiding the hair).

Braiding the long hair takes about 12 hours and begins on Thursday, at dawn.

The women apply pork lard on the hair, separate it into 150 strands, which they braid into a net that ends with a tail on the back.

Next, the braid is embellished for another 5 hours, and in the end it can weigh around 5 kg."

parkmikii
October 25th, 2017, 04:47 AM
"Braiding the Oaș bride's hair is a very well kept secret sent from generation to generation only in the craftman's (craftwoman's?) family. Braiding the bride's hair can take up to 12 hours and it starts early Thursday morning. The craftwomen 'oil' the hair with pork lard, then they divide it into 150 strands, from which they braid a woven pattern which ends with a tail in the back. This is being followed by 5 hours for decorating the hairstyle which ends up weighing 5 kg."

I am Romanian ^^

Edit: Sorry GalaMoon, we crossposted XD

GalaMoon
October 25th, 2017, 04:57 AM
That's OK :D

school of fish
October 25th, 2017, 06:28 AM
That's pretty incredible! Thanks for the translations - I was able to make out the 12 hours part and the weight of the decoration part, but I love getting the fuller context :)

I can only imagine what that would feel like to wear, as well as what the dismantling would be like! So elaborate and labour-intensive, amazing...

Jo Ann
October 25th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Totally awesome!

I wouldn't want to be the one to have to take that down, though--trying to avoid tangles (although the pig lard would help) and then the follow-up shampoo and condition! Then again, all that lard might work to condition the hair and make it easier to take down the styling artwork.